Cava Mezze - DC
527 8th Street SE
Washington, DC 20003Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Cava Mezze - DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatcava.com/
- Phone: 2025439090x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday CLOSED/ Tuesday 11:30-2:00pm/ Wednesday-Friday 11:30am 2:30pm
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday 11:30am - 3:00pm;
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5pm-9:45pm/ Friday & Saturday 5pm-10:45pm/ Sunday 5pm-9:15pm
** OPEN ALL DAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAYS** 11:30am-alotted closing times.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dimitri Moshovitis
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full catering available, from corporate to weddings. For all our of store catering please contact Scott@cavamezze.com
- Private Party Facilities: Join us in either our private mezzanine or heated rooftop. You can also use both for larger parties as they connect. Great setting in the Capitol Hill area on Barracks Row.
- Private Party Contact: Ted Xenohristos 2025439090
- Special Events: WE DO PRIVATE EVENTS! We have two private spaces on our mezzanine level, which can be rented out separate or together. We do baby showers, wedding showers, business dinners, cocktail receptions, fundraisers,etc.
Please contact Mara@eatcava.com
- Cross Street: 8th and G southeast
- Public Transit: METRO- Eastern Market (BLUE/ORANGE). 1.5 blocks from our restaurant.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet and street parking daily. Valet is located directly across the street. Please have your ticket validated at our Host stand for discounted pricing.
A word from Cava Mezze - DC
Prepare to indulge in unique Greek-inspired dishes, skillfully crafted by talented Chef Dimitri Moshovitis. All dishes are served mezze style—in small plates, but with portions large enough to share. Cava’s mezze-style dining inspires conversation and laughter at the table. The dim candle-lighting and black and white family photos adorning Cava’s charming brick interior walls creates a welcoming atmosphere. A dining experience at Cava is incomplete without a glass of wine. So pair your meal with one of our upscale, yet affordable wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cava Mezze - DC reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (17)neighborhood gem (17)good for groups (15)romantic (10)hot spot (8)special occasion (8)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Best in DCbniemiecVIPDined on 7/8/2014Cava, whether you go to the original Rockville location, or any of the other locations popping up around the city, is hands-down THE BEST restaurant in the city (sorry, Le Diplomat). The food is outstanding (try the Lollipop Chicken), the service is fantastic, and the atmosphere is unpretentious. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this restaurant!Special Features:
- Yum!RosieDined on 7/6/2014Enjoyed fresh small plates, great vegetarian options. Friendly, quick service. We sat outside after reading reviews of noise level and were happy with that choice after walking in and being overwhelmed by music and loud bar conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch YetSharidDined on 7/6/2014PENNY MIMOSAS! Need I say more? This brunch was on point, the service was quick, the setup was perfect and the food was divine. $30 gets you unlimited samples and the plates kept coming. We are definitely coming back for brunch soonSpecial Features:
- Great food. Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014Our group of five enjoyed the rooftop for what was a great dinner. Our server, Yanni, was spot on with wine and food recommendations (as well as something special from the bar). The food was delicious and always conducive there wasn't one dish that all of us didn't enjoy.Special Features:
- great place to shareDinoVIPDined on 6/28/2014Get an outdoor table. Vibrant active neighborhood. Tasy small plates. Good wines. Try it. You will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice an vibrant.Rockville2014Dined on 6/25/2014Nice place to have dinner or late bite with friends. Good atmosphere. Food is OK. Not more than that. And it's certainly not authentic Greek. Nevertheless it is served nicely. Most dishes are small, tapas like dishes. If you are looking for real Greek food go elsewhere. If you are looking for a place to go out it might be an option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drbobVIPDined on 6/21/2014Food and service was excellent Drinks are generous Noisy and full Make a resevationSpecial Features:
- Good eats!!highlyedDined on 6/21/2014I have been here so many times. Lolipop chicken...the cheese they set on fire...the mini gyros...everything is tasty....go get some...go on!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnonymousVIPDined on 6/19/2014Always enjoy dinner @ Cava Mezza before a Nats game.Special Features:
- Awesome Boozy brunchziggyVIPDined on 6/14/2014Great food! Service wasn't the fastest and it was super loud, but still worth it!Special Features:
- go toOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/6/2014This is always my boyfriend and I's go to spot for dinner whenever we want to eat out. It's in a great part of the city and the ambience is great. With the restaurant serving small plates, we always get a new combination of different things. You can't go wrong with the restaurant, from the location to food everything is amazing!Special Features:
- OmnivoreVIPDined on 6/6/2014This restaurant is reliably first rate. I love the food, am never disappointed when I try some new dish, and the easy unpretentiousness of the place is a welcome relief from DC chichi, which seems to be spreading. I recommend Cavaliers without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GJQJerryDined on 6/5/2014Great food...flaming cheese is a must have. We came for a birthday celebration and enjoyed the food and service at Cava.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!!!ChicagogurlVIPDined on 6/5/2014They have an amazing selection of flavorful and unique dishes to share. Mediterranean tapas that pleases appetites on every level. We left satisfied and were thrilled with our attentive waiter and servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1062 reviews are from the Cava Mezze - DC reviews archive.
- Best Brunch in DCallthefoodDined on 5/31/2014I have never had a better brunch. The unlimited deal allows you to pick from some of Cava's best small plates like Nutella waffles, challa french toast, and spicy lamb benedicte AND includes penny mimosas. The quality of food is amazing (unlike some other unlimited or buffet brunches in the city) and the location along bustling Barracks Row is fantastic.Special Features:
- Best. Brunch. Ever.MattVIPDined on 5/25/2014It started off as a brunch for 4, and as friends learned we were headed to Cava Mezze in Eastern Market our numbers expanded to 11 for brunch! Since this size of a table seems suboptimal at best, we reserved a 2:00 seating, and were expertly taken care of...thankfully all 11 of us choose the bottomless brunch: $30 unlimited food, penny mimosas, and $2 draft beers and bloody mary’s. We were able to catch up on life, eat, drink, and be merry. The service staff at Cava Mezze are top notch, and we will be back (with a more reasonable party size) -- THANK YOU!!!Special Features:
- Great BrunchLCA23Dined on 5/18/2014This place is great for brunch. $30 all you can eat small plates and penny mimosas and bloody marys, can't get any better. I have been here twice and had different experiences both times - the first was with a group and it was great...the service is slow and they look a tad confused a lot. The second time it was only two of us and they were playing some really loud edm music which was odd for a Sunday brunch, and the service was still slow. The food is great though - really fresh and there are a lot of selections.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/17/2014wonderful food but only if you can eat it outdoors. The noise level inside is unbearable. Outdoor dining is a delight.Special Features:
- Chance worth taking!LoKenDined on 5/16/2014Date night in DC with hubby. We were early to our 630pm reservation, seated quickly. Bar area was extremely busy and overall high energy and loud. The bar is right beside the dining area, so there's no way to avoid watching the bar crowd and while dimly lit, not really "cozy." (We were there early on Friday, so happy hour...) Food was great, Service excellent! They recommend 2 small plates per person. My "Hungry" husband and I barely finished our 4 as we snacked so much on the yummy warm pitas and tray served once we arrived at the table! Sadly, we were too full for dessert. Great foodie find! Oh, we had a drink called the social butterfly, while the flower was edible... I don't recommend eating it... pretty, but woody! LOLSpecial Features:
- Solid FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/13/2014This place is a bit more casual than I expected, but still nice enough for a low-key date. I am a vegan and Cava Mezze handled that very well. The falafel was outstanding as were several other options. The only disappointment was the hummus which was only OK. My wife enjoyed the spinach-cheese pastry and the meatballs.Special Features:
- Some snafuseatingoutDined on 5/12/2014We must have been unlucky. I made a reservation to meet up with an old friend. When I arrived, their "system" was down, which means that the phones, credit card machines, and order placement system were not working. The gentleman at the front was very nice. We waited at the bar for about 10 mins before being seated outside. We ordered the dip tasting appetizer and it came out a good five minutes before any bread (you can't really eat it without bread). So we were hungry and sitting there staring at this food we couldn't eat. The rest was pretty good, but not incredible. The best thing was the saganaki, which is cheese they set on fire. Not healthy, but yummy. We were full by the end, so all's well that ends well.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch!mogleyDined on 5/11/2014I went to Mothers' Day lunch/brunch with my parents here. We had been walking around Eastern Market and this place is about a 6 minute walk from there. It was great to get a break from the heat of the flea market. The brunch menu was great - I loved the tapas style because I got a taste of brunch without being stuffed and feeling too full. I didn't try more of the Mediterranean/Greek fare, but everything that came out of the kitchens looked good.Special Features:
- Always something new!SpedVIPDined on 5/4/2014Their menu changes constantly which is great... even though my favorite grilled halloumi was missing, there were several new items that I was happy to enjoy instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place with a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2014I love this place with a group of 6 to 8 because you can try a lot of stuff. I spent about 40 days backpacking in Crete and this is the most authentic food to Crete that I found in DC. This is my favorite restaurant in DC at this price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude waiters, so-so foodFangoDined on 5/2/2014The only reason this place would be worth a visit is its proximity to the Marine Barracks, and you can eat quickly before a Friday night parade. Bar looks nice, but you'll have to sit in the lap of the person you're with if you want to be hard.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and very noisyHippoDined on 4/26/2014Went there with a couple of friends that know well Greek cuisine and we came out a bit disappointed. The food is generally quite good, but at that price point you would expect something better. The octopus was a bit bland and the fried calamari were just awful. The saganaki was more a show than a dish and the zucchini fritters were not really cooked properly. However, lamb chops, kokkinisto and the lamb sliders were all very good. To summarize, a nice and young place to go for a beer/glass of wine and few small (meat?) plates, but not recommended for a full dinner.Special Features:
- Great food, great idea for fundoc58Dined on 4/25/2014Its like ordering a meal of appetizers. Each plate best shared with 3 friends. order 2 plates each and you'll have a terrific meal. order 3 plates each and they'll have to roll you to the door. i've never had a plate that i didn't think was a true winner.Special Features:
- Too NoisyEarplugsVIPDined on 4/23/2014the food is expensive though excellent, but the place is just to noisy to enjoy in the evenings. that makes it not worth it.Special Features:
- Amazing!NicoleDined on 4/21/2014My boss recommended this place to me, went with a big group of my girlfriends. Food was AMAZING! Its a bit loud inside the restaurant, but not bad. I went back again with a different group and it was just as good. Service was great, but the food is SUPERB. Def one of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation No TableDCFoodDined on 4/18/2014Enjoy the food at Cava but they need to do something about their seating situation. If I'm meeting people for an 8PM reservation, we shouldn't have to mill around the front entrance/host station for 45 minutes waiting for a table. There were numerous people there waiting who had made reservations, being pushed back and forth by waitstaff and customers for almost an hour--not a great way to start your night.Special Features:
- Always good at CavaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2014Haven't been in a while and I forgot how good this place can be - good Lord this place is loud though .. yikes. Octopus is fabulous and the meatballs (lamb and beef) are awesome. Calamari is decent.Special Features:
- Fun, energetic place on Capitol HilJBockDined on 4/14/2014Cava is great because it is different. It is not your typical bar food and drink menu. They have great Happy Hour specials on drinks and food. I have tried many items on the menu and have enjoyed them all. The food is also healthy or at least healthyish!Special Features:
- Always goodHighlanderDined on 4/13/2014We've eaten at Cava Mezze in Capitol Hill many times, and it's always very good. The food is excellent, it's usually possible to get a last-minute reservation, and service is very good. The food choices are fabulous. We had the octopus, Brussels sprouts, crazy feta, rocket salad, and a couple other dishes, all excellent. The only thing we would not order again is the gnocchi. It was fine, but not as fabulous as the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodHillFoodieVIPDined on 4/12/2014I've been happy every time I've eaten here. It's best to go when volume isn't too high, though. Food quality is better when they aren't churning it out.Special Features:
- Yum....BlueGirlDined on 4/12/2014My husband had been craving this type of food (mezze), so we were happy to find a location near where we were headed for Saturday night. The service and food were outstanding. We particularly liked the Crazy Feta and Lollipop Chicken. Amazing. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really love this place.LGDGDined on 4/11/2014My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner here about a year ago and we love to come back whenever possible if we are around Eastern Market. Food is amazing, nice lively atmosphere, tasty mojitos and several tasty gluten free options which makes the place a winner for us. Would highly recommend for anything from a date to a large party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodyummyfoodDined on 4/8/2014Very casual. Food was delicious. Opted for sharing small plates - lamb sliders and fries were excellent and the crazy feta delish! They start by bringing warm pita with some olive oil and olives and some yummy dip. Service was Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the mezze and service,jgronerVIPDined on 4/8/2014Loved the mezze and service, my first time here, and it was a first date so I am happy
- Best Brussels Sprouts in TownMMWMDined on 4/7/2014If you love Brussels Sprouts, definitely try these. They are delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my best visitdcfitfoodiesDined on 4/6/2014Cava is one of my favorite restaurants. I typically bring any out-of-towners to Cava, and they all rave about it afterwards. This time, however, was not my best visit. Two of my friends ordered items that were not available on the date of our visit (steak and lollipop chicken, I believe). He offered a replacement for my friend's steak request which she enjoyed, and allowed the other friend some time to make a different selection (or so we thought). While others' tapas came out, he never came back to ask her for her new selection before the rest of us were finished. We could have been more persistent in asking, but she survived on Harissa, pita, and flaming cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.