14 Imperial Place
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4017519164x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thur: 11:30am-10:00pm: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 9:30pm
Friday: 11:30am-12:00am: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 11pm
Saturday: 9:30am-12:00am: Brunch and Lunch 9:30am-4pm, Dinner 4-11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am-10:00pm: Brunch and Lunch 10:00am-4pm, Dinner 4pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Fusion / Eclectic, French American
- Executive Chef: Chef Josh Herring; Sous-Chef Allison Vanderburg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: CAV provides selective catering and many menu options and price ranges.
Catering menus include buffet style events with chef decorated antique platters, or seated dinner parties with upscale individually presented menu items.
Custom Planned events and weddings, as per the preferences of our guests.
- Entertainment: On NEW YEAR'S EVE, CAV will provide entertainment with a live band - The Lonnie Gasperini Ensemble - plus favors, masks and champagne at midnight. Walk-ins who do not wish to have dinner, may pay $20 at the door. CAV and its award winning bar will be open till 2am.
CAV offers the lovely Private Antiques Area and Lounge for Private Parties, Business Dinners, Wedding Rehearsal Dinners and more.
The private room, seats up to 65 guests. On Selected Days, the Whole of CAV may be available for Private Dining for Larger Private Parties (up to 125 guests for dinner, or more for cocktail parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Weeks in Summer (July) and Winter (January); Other events to be announced. New Year's Eve is a special celebration at CAV, watch for upcoming details
- Cross Street: Bassett St.
- Public Transit: Trolley stops within a block from CAV; refer to Ripta website
Shuttles from Brown and RISD also stop a block from CAV on Bassett St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: CAV offers free parking to dinner guests in our parking lot right across our entrance.
A word from CAV Restaurant
CAV's (foumded in 1989) award winning Restaurant and Bar serves a sophisticated contemporary menu, in a unique loft atmostphere, w/13 ft. Ashwood ceilings and brick walls. Accolades include: One of 5 Best Restaurants in Prov' The N.Y. Times, 'Best Restaurant Atmosphere' and 'Best Bar' R.I. Monthly; , 'Best Restaurant' Providence Monthl, 'Most Unique' N.Y. Details Mag. 'Most Romantic Restaurant' About.Com & Phoenix, 'Most Wordly Bar & Jewel of New England' Phantom Gourmet, Platinimum Plate Boston TV Diner. 'Most Worldly Bar' as well as many culinary awards. Signature dishes: Diver Sea Scallops, Hijiki encrusted Yellowfin Tuna, Filet Mignon, Sauce Bordelaise, Duck Confit,, Braised Lamb shank, as well as handcut pasta and vegetarian dishes. CAV is surrounded by pristine art objects also for sale. Also Al Fresco dining in Flowered Courtyard May-October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
CAV Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
CAV Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)romantic (64)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (53)great for brunch (33)good for groups (33)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (19)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014On our second visit to the CAV, we took a couple of foodies from North Carolina. They loved it! We did, too. We enjoyed a late reservation (8pm) which meant it was fairly quiet (only a few other parties). All of our meals were delicious and beautifully presented. We will visit with yet another couple within the next couple months. Looking forward to it.Special Features:
- Fantastic all around.nickysticksDined on 9/6/2014I had the caramelized sea scallops with shrimp and my girlfriend had the North Atlantic salmon, both melt in your mouth delicious. Service was top notch and it's a great atmosphere. First there and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceFish224Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have been to CAV a few times, but not in a while. It's always been very good and this visit did not disappoint. Not only was the food delicious, but our waiter Gary was gracious, fun and had expert timing. It's nice when the wait staff doesn't hurry you along or make you wonder where your food is. He made our night enjoyable and relaxing.Special Features:
- Eclectic with Great FoodEOEODined on 9/5/2014Very eclectic decor with great food. Good service, helpful and friendly staff. Really enjoyed our dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic night out.MmmFoodDined on 9/5/2014Arrived on a Friday at 7:00 pm. Place was a little difficult to find and parking isn't very clear. Walked in and there was one other couple in the entire restaurant, which was surprising considering the day and time. My date had a Bloody Mary (for dinner??) and said it was fantastic. I ordered a dry Manhattan with a twist, received one with a cherry (Manhattan enthusiasts will feel my pain). Food was excellent! Had calamari, which was unique and delicious. For entrees, we both had clams and pasta in red sauce. One of the best plates of pasta I've had in a while. Pasta and clams were prepared properly, and the sauce was quite tasty and ever-so-slightly spicy! My date and I both finished our entire plates. Left at 9pm, and CAV was packed.Special Features:
- Perfect !TheflorentineDined on 8/28/2014Execptional food, excelent service , romantic and out standing ambience ! Worth every penny ! Never been in a better place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Great service and food. The decor is eclectic and I believe some items are for sale. Attentive waiter and overall staff. Restroom was clean. We went for brunch and loved it! All items were reasonable priced and appropriate portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch!ISCDtravelerDined on 8/23/2014I came here with some colleagues and the appetizers (baked brie, crab cakes, mushroom bruschetta) were amazing! We ordered two bottles of wine, which were also very good. Moving on to dinner, two of us ordered the scallops and shrimp, which was by far the BEST scallops I've EVER had!! Melted in your mouth with perfection! Another individual ordered the crusted tuna and he said it was wonderful. The other three individuals ordered the Hake special and were beyond disappointed. They said it was bland with no flavor. When the owner found this out, she comp'd the meals and brought out two scallops for each of them. We were beyond pleased with this kind of service! Dessert was also very delicious. Great little hidden gem in Providence!Special Features:
- nice night outddinrochachaDined on 8/21/2014We went with 5 people. Greeter was gracious, welcoming. Menu interesting -we ordered the Malbec special. Waiter had almost no idea of the food ingredients for any item of which we inquired. Thought the mascarpone cheese with port wine fumet was the crab/corn mousseline served with the Hake. timing of service was fine. The bacon/sweet topping on the Hake was great. My crusted tuna on greens was great. others didn't rave about theirs - the wild mushrooms with risotto were really tasty but the risotto itself was bland and needed some great asiago or romano or something! the Pasta Florentine looked fine - but I didn't taste it. Calamari app was nicely spiced and little breading. Creme Brulee was way too runny, though top was crunchy.Special Features:
- YummyMissyDined on 8/20/2014This was our second visit and once again the food was wonderful. We highly recommend the bruschetta, the calamari and the Caesar salad-all were delicious. The scallops and the filet were perfectly prepared. We all belonged to the clean plate club. The only disappointment was the chocolate chip cookie we ordered for dessert.Special Features:
- CAV! Uber Provy!FeastFiendVIPDined on 8/18/2014We visited CAV for dinner to celebrate our family who we don't see often enough. We drove down from Boston to meet up and we were absolutely delighted to have a wonderful meal. CAV is not only delicious tasting but a wonderful visual feast as well. The location and decor was outstanding; romantic, tasteful antiquities abound. Our food was superb! The folks working there took great care of us, so nice and fun with a sense of style and humour. They seated us in a great 'staged' spot and provided complimentary champagne for us and our special guest. I enjoyed the chicken and pears dish. Sublime! Also we feasted on amazing scallops and crab cakes plus fantastic pan seared smoky calamari. Go to CAV when in Providence! Cheers!Special Features:
- Perfectly AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014Second time coming to this restaurant. Food was impeccable. Started with the walnut encrusted brie and wild mushroom crostini. Simply superb. The flavors from the mushrooms were out of this world. I followed with the scallops which were literally the best I've ever had. Another diner had the mushroom risotto and another a homemade pasta. Truly remarkable. Sadly, we were too full for dessert, but we're already planning our next trip to Providence to take part in this amazing culinary treat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The dining experience was awesome. They catered to my needs for space as a tall individual and the need for a high with a 7 month old. We were never forgotten about and the kitchen when above and beyond when they prepared and off menu item for my son to eat during our entree course. I was very pleased and surprised at the catering they provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReacquaintedDiners99Dined on 8/15/2014It's been a while since we've been to CAV but a recent visit brought to mind all the things we like about this establishment. We arrived early for our reservation but our host got a table for us right away. We were no sooner seated when our server was there to take our beverage order. The menu is sophisticated and the food is prepared expertly. The only negative thing I could comment on was the noise level, but that's indicative of the popularity of the place. If you've never been you should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerGregghDined on 8/11/2014Still one of our favorite restaurants in providence. Excellent atmosphere and great food as always. One of the best chowders around for the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAV doesn't disappointKnishdoctorVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our 3rd or 4th time at CAV in the past 10 years or so. We love the ambience--antiques and cultural artifacts gathered by the owner from around the world, unique fabrics on each table, interesting lighting fixtures, etc. Appetizers varied a good deal in size so it was difficult to tell how well they could be divided but each was unique and tasty. Entrees were a little uneven. I loved my seared tuna entree. My wife's pasta entree was very pedestrian, heavy on the cheese, and light on any particularly unique flavor. Enjoyed the wine. Overall a beautiful night and I imagine we will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special food and special atmospherejesstoddyDined on 8/9/2014Eating a delicious meal around beautiful antiques is not something I've had the chance to do and not something I'm sure I'll ever do again! The menu was exciting, the waiter was helpful in guiding our choices, and the food was beautifully presented and very flavorful. A few of the items on the menu were a bit pedestrian (brie with apricots and some supermarket crackers) but if you are willing to pick the adventurous items, you will be rewarded.Special Features:
- Fantastic place!ChelseaDined on 8/2/2014We found this gem of a restaurant on Frommers website. The food, service, and ambiance was phenomenal. Appetizers, entree, alcohol, and tip included brought us to about $75 per person. It was well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Providence hidden JewelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014We were 2 couples enjoying dinner out on a Saturday evening. The food, atmosphere and service were all Excellent!! We will be back again for sure!Special Features:
- A Jewel in the CityTinkchefDined on 7/27/2014A favorite for years. Love having a place that you can bring locals and visitors to that ALWAYS pleases. Have yet to introduce anyone to this great setting with food to match and have them be less than delighted. Brunch great and the back room for a private party a real treasure. Ask for Vincent as a waiter. A gifted artist who has a Harry Firestone Vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDruBDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I took my parents out to CAV to celebrate my mother's birthday. They said it was perhaps the best meal they've had at a restaurant in years. It also happened to be the restaurant week so they had specials for a 3-course option. The service was wonderful, very thoughtful and pleasant. It was also where we had our rehearsal dinner so it holds a special spot for us. The food was absolutely delicious, blowing us away. They were also able to accomodate my food allergies including gluten, dairy and cane sugar.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The food, the service, everything was amazing! I would recommend with eyes closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegantly funkymitchiewitchDined on 7/19/2014The decor of CAV is definitely unique - we love it and the atmosphere it creates. The food was wonderful as well - the steak cooked rare to order and the duck confit (with blood orange brandy demi glaze) melted in my mouth. Our appetizer, a minted white bean bruschetta and the Blackberry Merlot Sorbet for dessert were also excellent choices. The service was attentive without hovering.Special Features:
- ChowhoundVIPDined on 7/19/2014Very interesting restaurant in concept, decor, location, etc. My wife and I thouroughly enjoyed the food and thought that the service was excellent. We definitely expect to return.Special Features:
- Excellent Cullinary ExperienceEnjoyingLifeVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was our first experience at CAV. There were four of us, and the food throughout the meal, from appetizers, mains and desserts were all outstanding - presentation, flavor and serving size were all first rate. The décor is eclectic, but don't let that throw you off from an outstanding culinary experience. Our server seemed a little distant at first, and did not explain the restaurant week menu despite our request. However, he became more engaged as the meal progressed, and the service overall was attentive and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous night with dear friendsKateDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding service and attention. Food beyond great. Would recommend to anyone interested in an memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS wonderful- we took visitorsStefVIPDined on 7/18/2014On this episode of dinner at Cav- we brought our family, visiting from DSM, IA. They found the scallops to be delectable. I had the Cavatelli made Vegetarian style and it was scrumptious. The surroundings provide ample opportunity for world travel and spiritual discussion. If you haven't yet dined at Cav, what are you waiting for? :) GOSpecial Features:
- First visitloalDined on 7/18/2014Went to CAV on recommendation of a friend and enjoyed everything about it. Lovely room, good service and food. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Hidden awayBelizVIPDined on 7/18/2014On a Friday night, I got the Restaurant Week fixed price menu with the appetizer add on. All the food was well prepared. The only thing I would say is that the Minted White Bean Bruschetta, while delicious, wasn't Bruschetta. The long skinny toast points that came with the dish were not large enough or substantial enough to put the beans on. I ended up eating the beans with the spoon provided for serving and the toast separately. Also, as a hint, don't sit facing the windows if the sun is setting - the light will shine directly into your eyes blinding you. The staff was very attentive. The wait between courses was a little longer than I am used to, but that is not necessarily a criticism. I didn't feel rushed to finish up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellencetlc1VIPDined on 7/17/2014CAV remains a superb choice for an eclectic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experiencearlingtoneaterDined on 7/16/2014Went during restaurant week. Both my companion and I got the price fixe menu. It was fabulous. Waitstaff was attentive and friendly; not intrusive. Happy to engage in conversation when we initiated. Pacing was relaxed, which was good. Food was prepared to perfection and looked beautiful on the plate. House chardonnay was fabulous. We walked from a hotel on Matthewson St. and the neighborhood on the way there looked creepy and sketchy. But once we rounded the corner to the charming little courtyard and entered the place, it was like leaving Kansas and entering Oz. A completely delightful and satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, just ok service.Jd1231Dined on 7/15/2014It was busy and our waiter was nice, but the service was a little slow. Only 3 of 4 dishes came out at first and the woman assisting the waiter forgot to bring out the 4th. She started doing other things instead. After 5-7 minutes I had to remind her. The food was amazing as always and I will still be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VdubbloverDined on 7/13/2014We decided to try it out because it was on the restaurant week list. We were very impressed by the menu and how delicious the food is. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- leenerDined on 7/12/2014CAV is a great restaurant with an amazing decor and a lovely courtyard to sit outside in the warm weather. I love this place.Special Features:
- Interesting LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014My wife and I walked to have dinner here after seeing a show at the Dunkin Donuts Center. I guess this is a new section of town, because as we got closer, there were a lot of empty buildings, vacant lots and new roads. Nothing bad, just a little odd. Once we got to the restaurant, it was all good. Interesting decor, great wine, good variety of menu options. Everything we had was delicious.Special Features:
- 6 people in a tropical stormStefVIPDined on 7/4/2014In lieu of postponed fireworks due to inclement weather- we impromptu made a reservation for 6 at CAV using Open Table and as we walked in the door, they were setting up our table. Food and service were impeccable as always. I do wish there were more vegetarian options on the menu. I highly recommend CAV for lunch, brunch, dinner etc...Special Features:
- Romantic spotJanjoe1110VIPDined on 7/3/2014The cav is beautiful operating resturant in the old jewelry district in prov ri it's run so nicely hope it stays for many a more years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SWACDined on 7/2/2014The dining room is very interesting with the various displays of antiques and art a very comfortable setting. Service was prompt and attentive. The calamari as an appertizer was very good, and very tender. The duck entree was excellent with the confit and breast. The shrimp entree was also very well prepared. They have a very good wine selection. Definitely a good choice for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Overpriced, mediocre foodcranstongourmandVIPDined on 6/28/2014One small piece of lobster in pasta for $29. Rip off. Mediocre steak for $33.Special Features:
- Amazing find in a strange locationOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014This isn't in Federal Hill where most Providence restaurants are located but this was an unexpected great find! The interior decor is snazzy and fun. Service was excellent, and menu offerings were eclectic and "oh so delicious". We'd definitely return!Special Features: