14 Imperial Place
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 751-9164
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thur: 11:30am-10:00pm: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 9:30pm
Friday: 11:30am-12:00am: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 11pm
Saturday: 9:30am-12:00am: Brunch and Lunch 9:30am-4pm, Dinner 4-11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am-10:00pm: Brunch and Lunch 10:00am-4pm, Dinner 4pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Fusion / Eclectic, French American
- Executive Chef: Chef Josh Herring; Sous-Chef Allison Vanderburg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: CAV provides selective catering and many menu options and price ranges.
Catering menus include buffet style events with chef decorated antique platters, or seated dinner parties with upscale individually presented menu items.
Custom Planned events and weddings, as per the preferences of our guests.
- Private Party Facilities: CAV offers the lovely Private Antiques Area and Lounge for Private Parties, Business Dinners, Wedding Rehearsal Dinners and more, seating up to 65 guests. On Selected Days,the whole of CAV may be available for larger private parties, up to 125 for dinner, or more for cocktails parties.
- Private Party Contact: Sylvia Moubayed 8883661363
- Entertainment: On NEW YEAR'S EVE, CAV will provide entertainment with a live band - The Lonnie Gasperini Ensemble - plus favors, masks and champagne at midnight. Walk-ins who do not wish to have dinner, may pay $20 at the door. CAV and its award winning bar will be open till 2am.
CAV offers the lovely Private Antiques Area and Lounge for Private Parties, Business Dinners, Wedding Rehearsal Dinners and more.
The private room, seats up to 65 guests. On Selected Days, the Whole of CAV may be available for Private Dining for Larger Private Parties (up to 125 guests for dinner, or more for cocktail parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Weeks in Summer (July) and Winter (January); Other events to be announced. New Year's Eve is a special celebration at CAV, watch for upcoming details
- Cross Street: Bassett St.
- Public Transit: Trolley stops within a block from CAV; refer to Ripta website
Shuttles from Brown and RISD also stop a block from CAV on Bassett St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: CAV offers free parking to dinner guests in our parking lot right across our entrance.
A word from CAV Restaurant
CAV's (foumded in 1989) award winning Restaurant and Bar serves a sophisticated contemporary menu, in a unique loft atmostphere, w/13 ft. Ashwood ceilings and brick walls. Accolades include: One of 5 Best Restaurants in Prov' The N.Y. Times, 'Best Restaurant Atmosphere' and 'Best Bar' R.I. Monthly; , 'Best Restaurant' Providence Monthl, 'Most Unique' N.Y. Details Mag. 'Most Romantic Restaurant' About.Com & Phoenix, 'Most Wordly Bar & Jewel of New England' Phantom Gourmet, Platinimum Plate Boston TV Diner. 'Most Worldly Bar' as well as many culinary awards. Signature dishes: Diver Sea Scallops, Hijiki encrusted Yellowfin Tuna, Filet Mignon, Sauce Bordelaise, Duck Confit,, Braised Lamb shank, as well as handcut pasta and vegetarian dishes. CAV is surrounded by pristine art objects also for sale. Also Al Fresco dining in Flowered Courtyard May-October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
CAV Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
CAV Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)romantic (67)special occasion (66)neighborhood gem (60)great for brunch (44)good for groups (44)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (17)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Been awhile...hopkintondinerDined on 11/18/2014CAV has been around for years and the meal we had is proof of why that is. The space is beautifully decorated in such a way that it feels cozy even with the high, open ceilings. Our waiter was attentive, but in a subtle way and the food was simply outstanding. I am wondering why it has been so long since I last visited and will now make it a point to return more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We came for dinner on Friday then unexpectedly were invited to return for brunch on Sunday so we experienced both dinner and brunch on the same weekend! Both were fantastic. Friday night was a very romantic and cozy dinner with excellent food and service. We are vegetarians and while there weren't a ton of vegetarian options, there were a handful of really good choices - we both loved our meals! Brunch was also delicious! The ambience is magical - cozy, warm, beautiful antiques everywhere you look! I loved it! It was a little pricey, though, so it's not a place I feel we could go very often, but it will definitely be my first choice when we can splurge a bit on a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lil Hidden SpotTheFytFoodieDined on 11/9/2014We almost didn't see the place but once inside you'll see the quirky decor and think hmmmmmmmmm. Lol. But the food was amazing. Absolutely loved everything that hit our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014We recently dined here for a romantic birthday celebration!! The food was fabulous from the appetizer to the entrees. The decor is sparkling and eclectic with crystal chandeliers and art covering the walls. This is definitely one of the most unique restaurants in Providence. The service was wonderful and we will definitely be returning! Thanks for a great night!!!Special Features:
- France in Providence!ManhattandinerVIPDined on 11/8/2014Having thoroughly experienced Italian cuisine in Providence, I tried CAV for a change of pace, and was very impressed. The quality of food preparation was excellent - I was cautioned by the waiter that the lobster bisque is sweet, but I found it very tasty. The filet mignon was superb, as was the lamb. The wine list was interesting, and had many offerings at reasonable prices. A little out of the way, but a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu LimitedTravelingDinerDined on 11/8/2014The menu is limited and has not changed. The CAV needs to expand on its dinner selections. Service is excellent. Great Ambiance.Special Features:
- RovingpineappleRovingPineappleDined on 11/4/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Providence. Always excellent. Great food. Excellent service. And eclectic atmosphere which always intrigues first time guests. Their tuna entrée is one of my favorite all-time dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Stars - Highly Recommend!!wannaBfoodieDined on 11/1/2014I choose CAV restaurant after searching for top restaurants in Providence for a night out and let me tell you CAV did not disappoint! This place had everything: eclectic boho ambiance, crazy good french inspired cuisine, delicious wine, and friendly down to earth service. I don't usually write reviews but this place deserves some praise. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative food and surroundings:A+mswoolDined on 11/1/2014Another wonderful evening at CAV. Our server was warm, professional and sophisticated in his knowledge of the food and wines. The meals each had a unique and delicious twist that brought surprise and enjoyment. This setting with the whimsical lighting, gorgeous African art and sculpture, and rich kilims under the glass tabletops give a cozy and warm style to the atmosphere. The varied areas and levels in the dining space allow for intimate dinners for two, larger groups, and a private room for parties. I've enjoyed all of these on various occasions. Easily a favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eclecticLaneyDined on 10/26/2014I chose this restaurant based on the reviews I read on TripAdvisor. Eclectic restaurant...I like eclectic. The atmosphere of the restaurant made dining very interesting. And the food was good.Special Features:
- New favorite rest. in Providence RIVikkiVIPDined on 10/25/2014Just excellent: food service and environment. We found CAV funky, warm and fun. With many great choices in Providence...this is a winner.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyedzen4foodVIPDined on 10/22/2014The quality of the food and presentation were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchDee1Dined on 10/19/2014Took the in-laws from out of state here for brunch, they were amazed by the decor and loved the food. I had been for dinner before and loved it but never brunch, brunch was just as delicious as dinner and I can't wait to go back! Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food top-notchSueagraviadorVIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I had a lovely time dining at CAV. The warm French bread with real butter made for a great start. We shared the calamari appetizer and that was so tasty. It's baked with peppers and garlic. For the entree we had the duck and the scallop. The scallops were prob the best I've ever had and I have eaten lots of scallops. Cooked to perfection with risotto and green beans. I couldn't have wished for a better plate. The hubby loved the duck as well. We finished the night with some tiramisu and it tasted very fresh and delicious. Our server was excellent and made great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJayco31Dined on 10/3/2014Ended up neading a restaurant with later hours as a flight delay pushed off our original plans What a find! Food and service were spectacular. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty goodOut2eatDined on 10/3/2014Love the way this restaurant is decorated. It's different and unique. The one complaint I would have is that my meal and two other people I was with were a little cold. I had a chef special which was okay. Next time I will choose differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I L O V E CAV!!BevSRIDined on 9/22/2014If I could give an extra star I would. This restaurant is phenomenal and the ambiance is beyond compare. I always bring my out of town guests here to show off!! But I come with local friends, as well. Long live CAV :-)Special Features:
- Loved the CAV!DiscerningFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant is totally unique. It is both an antiques shop and a restaurant, serving a varied menu of French and American cuisine. The owner came over to our table and greeted us almost immediately upon being seated. She invited us to a 25th anniversary party of the restaurant, and then gave us an art appreciation lesson for the artworks that surrounded our table. The food was very good, but to be honest, I was so taken with the ambiance that the food took a back seat. The restaurant is tucked away and is a little hard to find. There is ample free parking and a lovely outdoor patio. I highly recommend a visit to CAV!Special Features:
- Great DinnerMikeDined on 9/20/2014All three of us in our party had a great meal. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- FriendlyfoodloverDined on 9/19/2014The entire staff is friendly. The owner makes a special effort to at least acknowledge all of her guests. If you have been more than once she remembers you and always greets you with a friendly hello. Our waiter was very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet SerendipityprozacpezDined on 9/19/2014Along the road less traveled in Providence there's a treasure quietly tucked away where you will least expect it. A majestic old factory turned gallery filled with antiques, artwork and chandeliers in a romantic and magical setting. Where we enjoyed a romantic evening beginning with a delightful meal followed by waterfire and a nightcap. CAV was the perfect beginning to our evening with a great wine list, expertly crafted cocktails, wonderful food and impeccable service. We enjoyed the walnut encrusted Brie, Sophia salad, Shrimp & Sautéed White Bean Ragout and it was capped by the queen of all desserts; a Creme Brulee' made with Tahitian Vanilla. It just doesn't get any better than this!Special Features:
- For 25 years CAV excellsjamesVIPDined on 9/17/2014We just love CAV. We recently took friends who are locals and they had never been there. Shows how hidden this gem is. Our waiter was good but had too many tables, but we had come to talk it was OK. The food was the star and did not disappoint. The scallops and shrimp was one of the best scallops dishes I've EVER had ... perfectly cooked and the plate was lovely. CAV does not overcharge for a bottle of wine. A bottle of excellent malbec was less than the cost of three glasses. Entering is like walking into an ethnic antique store ... African masks on the walls, oriental carpets everywhere and exposed brick and beams. And you can buy most of the art and furnishings which are for sale. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Not what I expected.EastoftheRiverDined on 9/14/2014I made a reservation for brunch because the reviews were good. We were disappointed. My poached eggs were hard and, with the scant amount of hollandaise sauce, my breakfast was very dry. The bacon was like leather. The potatoes were good. French toast looked nice until we saw that the slices of bread included the end of the loaf. I would never serve that to a guest. The atmosphere, outdoor patio and service were all very good, but food is what would bring us back and I don't think that we will be.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible serviceBdaybrunch2VIPDined on 9/14/2014I am glad that I had read the reviews on this place about how good the food was. The service was terrible! However, I had one of the best brunch meals.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday CelebrationMaryBVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had a group of 9 and it was wonderful. There were 4 vegetarians in our group and there were excellent choices for them. I had the scallops and shrimp with snow peas and lemon risotto which was fabulous. The baked brie is always a favorite and the chiogga beets were heavenly. Love this place.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningawsmeDined on 9/10/2014On our second visit to the CAV, we took a couple of foodies from North Carolina. They loved it! We did, too. We enjoyed a late reservation (8pm) which meant it was fairly quiet (only a few other parties). All of our meals were delicious and beautifully presented. We will visit with yet another couple within the next couple months. Looking forward to it.Special Features:
- Fantastic all around.nickysticksDined on 9/6/2014I had the caramelized sea scallops with shrimp and my girlfriend had the North Atlantic salmon, both melt in your mouth delicious. Service was top notch and it's a great atmosphere. First there and will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceFish224Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I have been to CAV a few times, but not in a while. It's always been very good and this visit did not disappoint. Not only was the food delicious, but our waiter Gary was gracious, fun and had expert timing. It's nice when the wait staff doesn't hurry you along or make you wonder where your food is. He made our night enjoyable and relaxing.Special Features:
- Eclectic with Great FoodEOEODined on 9/5/2014Very eclectic decor with great food. Good service, helpful and friendly staff. Really enjoyed our dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic night out.MmmFoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014Arrived on a Friday at 7:00 pm. Place was a little difficult to find and parking isn't very clear. Walked in and there was one other couple in the entire restaurant, which was surprising considering the day and time. My date had a Bloody Mary (for dinner??) and said it was fantastic. I ordered a dry Manhattan with a twist, received one with a cherry (Manhattan enthusiasts will feel my pain). Food was excellent! Had calamari, which was unique and delicious. For entrees, we both had clams and pasta in red sauce. One of the best plates of pasta I've had in a while. Pasta and clams were prepared properly, and the sauce was quite tasty and ever-so-slightly spicy! My date and I both finished our entire plates. Left at 9pm, and CAV was packed.Special Features:
- Perfect !TheflorentineDined on 8/28/2014Execptional food, excelent service , romantic and out standing ambience ! Worth every penny ! Never been in a better place !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Great service and food. The decor is eclectic and I believe some items are for sale. Attentive waiter and overall staff. Restroom was clean. We went for brunch and loved it! All items were reasonable priced and appropriate portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch!ISCDtravelerDined on 8/23/2014I came here with some colleagues and the appetizers (baked brie, crab cakes, mushroom bruschetta) were amazing! We ordered two bottles of wine, which were also very good. Moving on to dinner, two of us ordered the scallops and shrimp, which was by far the BEST scallops I've EVER had!! Melted in your mouth with perfection! Another individual ordered the crusted tuna and he said it was wonderful. The other three individuals ordered the Hake special and were beyond disappointed. They said it was bland with no flavor. When the owner found this out, she comp'd the meals and brought out two scallops for each of them. We were beyond pleased with this kind of service! Dessert was also very delicious. Great little hidden gem in Providence!Special Features:
- nice night outddinrochachaDined on 8/21/2014We went with 5 people. Greeter was gracious, welcoming. Menu interesting -we ordered the Malbec special. Waiter had almost no idea of the food ingredients for any item of which we inquired. Thought the mascarpone cheese with port wine fumet was the crab/corn mousseline served with the Hake. timing of service was fine. The bacon/sweet topping on the Hake was great. My crusted tuna on greens was great. others didn't rave about theirs - the wild mushrooms with risotto were really tasty but the risotto itself was bland and needed some great asiago or romano or something! the Pasta Florentine looked fine - but I didn't taste it. Calamari app was nicely spiced and little breading. Creme Brulee was way too runny, though top was crunchy.Special Features:
- YummyMissyVIPDined on 8/20/2014This was our second visit and once again the food was wonderful. We highly recommend the bruschetta, the calamari and the Caesar salad-all were delicious. The scallops and the filet were perfectly prepared. We all belonged to the clean plate club. The only disappointment was the chocolate chip cookie we ordered for dessert.Special Features:
- CAV! Uber Provy!FeastFiendVIPDined on 8/18/2014We visited CAV for dinner to celebrate our family who we don't see often enough. We drove down from Boston to meet up and we were absolutely delighted to have a wonderful meal. CAV is not only delicious tasting but a wonderful visual feast as well. The location and decor was outstanding; romantic, tasteful antiquities abound. Our food was superb! The folks working there took great care of us, so nice and fun with a sense of style and humour. They seated us in a great 'staged' spot and provided complimentary champagne for us and our special guest. I enjoyed the chicken and pears dish. Sublime! Also we feasted on amazing scallops and crab cakes plus fantastic pan seared smoky calamari. Go to CAV when in Providence! Cheers!Special Features:
- Perfectly AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014Second time coming to this restaurant. Food was impeccable. Started with the walnut encrusted brie and wild mushroom crostini. Simply superb. The flavors from the mushrooms were out of this world. I followed with the scallops which were literally the best I've ever had. Another diner had the mushroom risotto and another a homemade pasta. Truly remarkable. Sadly, we were too full for dessert, but we're already planning our next trip to Providence to take part in this amazing culinary treat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The dining experience was awesome. They catered to my needs for space as a tall individual and the need for a high with a 7 month old. We were never forgotten about and the kitchen when above and beyond when they prepared and off menu item for my son to eat during our entree course. I was very pleased and surprised at the catering they provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReacquaintedDiners99Dined on 8/15/2014It's been a while since we've been to CAV but a recent visit brought to mind all the things we like about this establishment. We arrived early for our reservation but our host got a table for us right away. We were no sooner seated when our server was there to take our beverage order. The menu is sophisticated and the food is prepared expertly. The only negative thing I could comment on was the noise level, but that's indicative of the popularity of the place. If you've never been you should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerGregghDined on 8/11/2014Still one of our favorite restaurants in providence. Excellent atmosphere and great food as always. One of the best chowders around for the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.