14 Imperial Place
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4017519164x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thur: 11:30am-10:00pm: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 9:30pm
Friday: 11:30am-12:00am: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 11pm
Saturday: 9:30am-12:00am: Brunch and Lunch 9:30am-4pm, Dinner 4-11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am-10:00pm: Brunch and Lunch 10:00am-4pm, Dinner 4pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Fusion / Eclectic, French American
- Executive Chef: Chef Josh Herring; Sous-Chef Allison Vanderburg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: CAV provides selective catering and many menu options and price ranges.
Catering menus include buffet style events with chef decorated antique platters, or seated dinner parties with upscale individually presented menu items.
Custom Planned events and weddings, as per the preferences of our guests.
- Entertainment: On NEW YEAR'S EVE, CAV will provide entertainment with a live band - The Lonnie Gasperini Ensemble - plus favors, masks and champagne at midnight. Walk-ins who do not wish to have dinner, may pay $20 at the door. CAV and its award winning bar will be open till 2am.
CAV offers the lovely Private Antiques Area and Lounge for Private Parties, Business Dinners, Wedding Rehearsal Dinners and more.
The private room, seats up to 65 guests. On Selected Days, the Whole of CAV may be available for Private Dining for Larger Private Parties (up to 125 guests for dinner, or more for cocktail parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Weeks in Summer (July) and Winter (January); Other events to be announced. New Year's Eve is a special celebration at CAV, watch for upcoming details
- Cross Street: Bassett St.
- Public Transit: Trolley stops within a block from CAV; refer to Ripta website
Shuttles from Brown and RISD also stop a block from CAV on Bassett St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: CAV offers free parking to dinner guests in our parking lot right across our entrance.
A word from CAV Restaurant
CAV's (foumded in 1989) award winning Restaurant and Bar serves a sophisticated contemporary menu, in a unique loft atmostphere, w/13 ft. Ashwood ceilings and brick walls. Accolades include: One of 5 Best Restaurants in Prov' The N.Y. Times, 'Best Restaurant Atmosphere' and 'Best Bar' R.I. Monthly; , 'Best Restaurant' Providence Monthl, 'Most Unique' N.Y. Details Mag. 'Most Romantic Restaurant' About.Com & Phoenix, 'Most Wordly Bar & Jewel of New England' Phantom Gourmet, Platinimum Plate Boston TV Diner. 'Most Worldly Bar' as well as many culinary awards. Signature dishes: Diver Sea Scallops, Hijiki encrusted Yellowfin Tuna, Filet Mignon, Sauce Bordelaise, Duck Confit,, Braised Lamb shank, as well as handcut pasta and vegetarian dishes. CAV is surrounded by pristine art objects also for sale. Also Al Fresco dining in Flowered Courtyard May-October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
CAV Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
CAV Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (65)romantic (61)neighborhood gem (54)great for brunch (35)good for groups (34)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (21)great for outdoor dining (17)hot spot (9)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- CAV! Uber Provy!FeastFiendVIPDined on 8/18/2014We visited CAV for dinner to celebrate our family who we don't see often enough. We drove down from Boston to meet up and we were absolutely delighted to have a wonderful meal. CAV is not only delicious tasting but a wonderful visual feast as well. The location and decor was outstanding; romantic, tasteful antiquities abound. Our food was superb! The folks working there took great care of us, so nice and fun with a sense of style and humour. They seated us in a great 'staged' spot and provided complimentary champagne for us and our special guest. I enjoyed the chicken and pears dish. Sublime! Also we feasted on amazing scallops and crab cakes plus fantastic pan seared smoky calamari. Go to CAV when in Providence! Cheers!Special Features:
- Perfectly AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/17/2014Second time coming to this restaurant. Food was impeccable. Started with the walnut encrusted brie and wild mushroom crostini. Simply superb. The flavors from the mushrooms were out of this world. I followed with the scallops which were literally the best I've ever had. Another diner had the mushroom risotto and another a homemade pasta. Truly remarkable. Sadly, we were too full for dessert, but we're already planning our next trip to Providence to take part in this amazing culinary treat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The dining experience was awesome. They catered to my needs for space as a tall individual and the need for a high with a 7 month old. We were never forgotten about and the kitchen when above and beyond when they prepared and off menu item for my son to eat during our entree course. I was very pleased and surprised at the catering they provided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReacquaintedDiners99Dined on 8/15/2014It's been a while since we've been to CAV but a recent visit brought to mind all the things we like about this establishment. We arrived early for our reservation but our host got a table for us right away. We were no sooner seated when our server was there to take our beverage order. The menu is sophisticated and the food is prepared expertly. The only negative thing I could comment on was the noise level, but that's indicative of the popularity of the place. If you've never been you should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerGregghDined on 8/11/2014Still one of our favorite restaurants in providence. Excellent atmosphere and great food as always. One of the best chowders around for the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CAV doesn't disappointKnishdoctorVIPDined on 8/9/2014Our 3rd or 4th time at CAV in the past 10 years or so. We love the ambience--antiques and cultural artifacts gathered by the owner from around the world, unique fabrics on each table, interesting lighting fixtures, etc. Appetizers varied a good deal in size so it was difficult to tell how well they could be divided but each was unique and tasty. Entrees were a little uneven. I loved my seared tuna entree. My wife's pasta entree was very pedestrian, heavy on the cheese, and light on any particularly unique flavor. Enjoyed the wine. Overall a beautiful night and I imagine we will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special food and special atmospherejesstoddyDined on 8/9/2014Eating a delicious meal around beautiful antiques is not something I've had the chance to do and not something I'm sure I'll ever do again! The menu was exciting, the waiter was helpful in guiding our choices, and the food was beautifully presented and very flavorful. A few of the items on the menu were a bit pedestrian (brie with apricots and some supermarket crackers) but if you are willing to pick the adventurous items, you will be rewarded.Special Features:
- Fantastic place!ChelseaDined on 8/2/2014We found this gem of a restaurant on Frommers website. The food, service, and ambiance was phenomenal. Appetizers, entree, alcohol, and tip included brought us to about $75 per person. It was well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Providence hidden JewelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014We were 2 couples enjoying dinner out on a Saturday evening. The food, atmosphere and service were all Excellent!! We will be back again for sure!Special Features:
- A Jewel in the CityTinkchefDined on 7/27/2014A favorite for years. Love having a place that you can bring locals and visitors to that ALWAYS pleases. Have yet to introduce anyone to this great setting with food to match and have them be less than delighted. Brunch great and the back room for a private party a real treasure. Ask for Vincent as a waiter. A gifted artist who has a Harry Firestone Vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerDruBDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I took my parents out to CAV to celebrate my mother's birthday. They said it was perhaps the best meal they've had at a restaurant in years. It also happened to be the restaurant week so they had specials for a 3-course option. The service was wonderful, very thoughtful and pleasant. It was also where we had our rehearsal dinner so it holds a special spot for us. The food was absolutely delicious, blowing us away. They were also able to accomodate my food allergies including gluten, dairy and cane sugar.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The food, the service, everything was amazing! I would recommend with eyes closed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegantly funkymitchiewitchDined on 7/19/2014The decor of CAV is definitely unique - we love it and the atmosphere it creates. The food was wonderful as well - the steak cooked rare to order and the duck confit (with blood orange brandy demi glaze) melted in my mouth. Our appetizer, a minted white bean bruschetta and the Blackberry Merlot Sorbet for dessert were also excellent choices. The service was attentive without hovering.Special Features:
- ChowhoundVIPDined on 7/19/2014Very interesting restaurant in concept, decor, location, etc. My wife and I thouroughly enjoyed the food and thought that the service was excellent. We definitely expect to return.Special Features:
- Excellent Cullinary ExperienceEnjoyingLifeVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was our first experience at CAV. There were four of us, and the food throughout the meal, from appetizers, mains and desserts were all outstanding - presentation, flavor and serving size were all first rate. The décor is eclectic, but don't let that throw you off from an outstanding culinary experience. Our server seemed a little distant at first, and did not explain the restaurant week menu despite our request. However, he became more engaged as the meal progressed, and the service overall was attentive and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous night with dear friendsKateDined on 7/19/2014Outstanding service and attention. Food beyond great. Would recommend to anyone interested in an memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS wonderful- we took visitorsStefVIPDined on 7/18/2014On this episode of dinner at Cav- we brought our family, visiting from DSM, IA. They found the scallops to be delectable. I had the Cavatelli made Vegetarian style and it was scrumptious. The surroundings provide ample opportunity for world travel and spiritual discussion. If you haven't yet dined at Cav, what are you waiting for? :) GOSpecial Features:
- First visitloalDined on 7/18/2014Went to CAV on recommendation of a friend and enjoyed everything about it. Lovely room, good service and food. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Hidden awayBelizVIPDined on 7/18/2014On a Friday night, I got the Restaurant Week fixed price menu with the appetizer add on. All the food was well prepared. The only thing I would say is that the Minted White Bean Bruschetta, while delicious, wasn't Bruschetta. The long skinny toast points that came with the dish were not large enough or substantial enough to put the beans on. I ended up eating the beans with the spoon provided for serving and the toast separately. Also, as a hint, don't sit facing the windows if the sun is setting - the light will shine directly into your eyes blinding you. The staff was very attentive. The wait between courses was a little longer than I am used to, but that is not necessarily a criticism. I didn't feel rushed to finish up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellencetlc1Dined on 7/17/2014CAV remains a superb choice for an eclectic eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experiencearlingtoneaterDined on 7/16/2014Went during restaurant week. Both my companion and I got the price fixe menu. It was fabulous. Waitstaff was attentive and friendly; not intrusive. Happy to engage in conversation when we initiated. Pacing was relaxed, which was good. Food was prepared to perfection and looked beautiful on the plate. House chardonnay was fabulous. We walked from a hotel on Matthewson St. and the neighborhood on the way there looked creepy and sketchy. But once we rounded the corner to the charming little courtyard and entered the place, it was like leaving Kansas and entering Oz. A completely delightful and satisfying experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, just ok service.Jd1231Dined on 7/15/2014It was busy and our waiter was nice, but the service was a little slow. Only 3 of 4 dishes came out at first and the woman assisting the waiter forgot to bring out the 4th. She started doing other things instead. After 5-7 minutes I had to remind her. The food was amazing as always and I will still be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VdubbloverDined on 7/13/2014We decided to try it out because it was on the restaurant week list. We were very impressed by the menu and how delicious the food is. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- leenerDined on 7/12/2014CAV is a great restaurant with an amazing decor and a lovely courtyard to sit outside in the warm weather. I love this place.Special Features:
- Interesting LocationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014My wife and I walked to have dinner here after seeing a show at the Dunkin Donuts Center. I guess this is a new section of town, because as we got closer, there were a lot of empty buildings, vacant lots and new roads. Nothing bad, just a little odd. Once we got to the restaurant, it was all good. Interesting decor, great wine, good variety of menu options. Everything we had was delicious.Special Features:
- 6 people in a tropical stormStefVIPDined on 7/4/2014In lieu of postponed fireworks due to inclement weather- we impromptu made a reservation for 6 at CAV using Open Table and as we walked in the door, they were setting up our table. Food and service were impeccable as always. I do wish there were more vegetarian options on the menu. I highly recommend CAV for lunch, brunch, dinner etc...Special Features:
- Romantic spotJanjoe1110Dined on 7/3/2014The cav is beautiful operating resturant in the old jewelry district in prov ri it's run so nicely hope it stays for many a more years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SWACDined on 7/2/2014The dining room is very interesting with the various displays of antiques and art a very comfortable setting. Service was prompt and attentive. The calamari as an appertizer was very good, and very tender. The duck entree was excellent with the confit and breast. The shrimp entree was also very well prepared. They have a very good wine selection. Definitely a good choice for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Overpriced, mediocre foodcranstongourmandVIPDined on 6/28/2014One small piece of lobster in pasta for $29. Rip off. Mediocre steak for $33.Special Features:
- Amazing find in a strange locationOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014This isn't in Federal Hill where most Providence restaurants are located but this was an unexpected great find! The interior decor is snazzy and fun. Service was excellent, and menu offerings were eclectic and "oh so delicious". We'd definitely return!Special Features:
- A Gem!FabfunDined on 6/21/2014We went to this wonderful restaurant while in Providence ri on a visit last weekend. The food was fantastic...the place is alive with interesting African art and the service was wonderful. I would definitely return. The seared tuna was delightful and I loved the salted carmel gelato. A wonderful treat...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantReddVIPDined on 6/20/2014Four of us went to dinner at CAV. Each had something different from appetizer to dessert and everything was very good - fresh and uniquely prepared. Service was very good and the atmosphere was interesting and not fairly quiet. The prices are above average but normal for a restaurant of this level. We particularly liked the striped bass with risotto but the salmon and lobster pasta were also good. The fruit tart for dessert is also recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in ProvidenceTheDiningFanaticVIPDined on 6/19/2014We just loved dining at the CAV Restaurant. It was our favorite night out while staying in Providence. The food was superb and the atmosphere was like we were dining right in the middle of an antique shop. Love, Love, Loved this place.Special Features:
- A great findDonnchaDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I were introduced to this unique restaurant at a wedding reception and loved it. We have come back here for special occasions, or just on a whim, and love introducing others to the place. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- fourzsDined on 6/15/2014Went to CAV for Father's Day and we had a great meal! We got there early but they sat us even though it was 30 mins before they officially opened! They were so gracious about our screw up and served us right away. The food was delicious although our teeanage son thought there should have been more food to an order. We will definately go again if we are near Providence.Special Features:
- MagicalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014The restaurant is gorgeous--- from the moment you walk up. The food is incredible- easily the best meal I've had in a long time. The service is wonderful- every single person is friendly and helpful. It's clear they love the place as well. The only thing we didn't love was the parking situation... it's just a desolate parking lot- nice to have free parking, but I wouldn't want to park there late into the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- blingbaby52Blingbaby52Dined on 6/7/2014We picked Cav for my husband's birthday dinner. We loved the bruschetta appetizer. For dinner I ordered the encrusted seared sesame tuna. I like mine barely seared and it came out perfect. My husband ordered the hangar steak with pepper sauce, which was almost too peppery, but he was enjoying it. Our waitress offered to replace it, but he said it wasn't necessary. For dessert they brought him a flourless chocolate cake that was filled with a rich chocolate mousse. The presentation was gorgeous and the cake was delicious! When we left our server brought us a new hangar steak and the leftover dessert. She made sure nothing spoiled his birthday! We had a spectacular meal with superb service. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad first and last impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/31/2014Heard it was the Chef's last night cooking at CAV and was disappointed by not only the food but our horrible service!!! $262 total bill for four and gave a portion of our waiters tip to another waitress who repeatedly kept covering for his horrible service. Truffle ravioli lacked flavor and was 90% all oil in the dish. The staff was standing aside eating a laid out spread of desserts while we sat there and waited for our own dessert menus. We almost asked to join their party since they apparently didnt care about ours. Not the way I'd like to be remembered on my last night cooking.
- Birthday Dinnerm3xglDined on 5/30/2014I had a great birthday dinner at CAV. I enjoyed the duck entree and my wife had the fresh pasta. We shared a great plate of bruschetta too! I'll be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marcia ParksMarciDined on 5/22/2014Delightful dining experience: the food was delicious, presentation was attractive, service was prompt and polite without being intrusive.Special Features: