14 Imperial Place
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cavrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (401) 751-9164
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Thur: 11:30am-10:00pm: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 9:30pm
Friday: 11:30am-12:00am: Lunch till 4pm, Dinner served till 11pm
Saturday: 9:30am-12:00am: Brunch and Lunch 9:30am-4pm, Dinner 4-11:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am-10:00pm: Brunch and Lunch 10:00am-4pm, Dinner 4pm-9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Fusion / Eclectic, French American
- Executive Chef: Chef Josh Herring; Sous-Chef Allison Vanderburg
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: CAV provides selective catering and many menu options and price ranges.
Catering menus include buffet style events with chef decorated antique platters, or seated dinner parties with upscale individually presented menu items.
Custom Planned events and weddings, as per the preferences of our guests.
- Private Party Facilities: CAV offers the lovely Private Antiques Area and Lounge for Private Parties, Business Dinners, Wedding Rehearsal Dinners and more, seating up to 65 guests. On Selected Days,the whole of CAV may be available for larger private parties, up to 125 for dinner, or more for cocktails parties.
- Private Party Contact: Sylvia Moubayed 8883661363
- Entertainment: On NEW YEAR'S EVE, CAV will provide entertainment with a live band - The Lonnie Gasperini Ensemble - plus favors, masks and champagne at midnight. Walk-ins who do not wish to have dinner, may pay $20 at the door. CAV and its award winning bar will be open till 2am.
CAV offers the lovely Private Antiques Area and Lounge for Private Parties, Business Dinners, Wedding Rehearsal Dinners and more.
The private room, seats up to 65 guests. On Selected Days, the Whole of CAV may be available for Private Dining for Larger Private Parties (up to 125 guests for dinner, or more for cocktail parties.
- Special Events: Restaurant Weeks in Summer (July) and Winter (January); Other events to be announced. New Year's Eve is a special celebration at CAV, watch for upcoming details
- Cross Street: Bassett St.
- Public Transit: Trolley stops within a block from CAV; refer to Ripta website
Shuttles from Brown and RISD also stop a block from CAV on Bassett St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: CAV offers free parking to dinner guests in our parking lot right across our entrance.
A word from CAV Restaurant
CAV's (foumded in 1989) award winning Restaurant and Bar serves a sophisticated contemporary menu, in a unique loft atmostphere, w/13 ft. Ashwood ceilings and brick walls. Accolades include: One of 5 Best Restaurants in Prov' The N.Y. Times, 'Best Restaurant Atmosphere' and 'Best Bar' R.I. Monthly; , 'Best Restaurant' Providence Monthl, 'Most Unique' N.Y. Details Mag. 'Most Romantic Restaurant' About.Com & Phoenix, 'Most Wordly Bar & Jewel of New England' Phantom Gourmet, Platinimum Plate Boston TV Diner. 'Most Worldly Bar' as well as many culinary awards. Signature dishes: Diver Sea Scallops, Hijiki encrusted Yellowfin Tuna, Filet Mignon, Sauce Bordelaise, Duck Confit,, Braised Lamb shank, as well as handcut pasta and vegetarian dishes. CAV is surrounded by pristine art objects also for sale. Also Al Fresco dining in Flowered Courtyard May-October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
CAV Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
CAV Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)romantic (67)special occasion (66)neighborhood gem (59)great for brunch (43)good for groups (43)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (16)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- SlippedCLNYVIPDined on 5/10/2014Have dined here before, always good. Quite a bit off this time. My favorite appertizer of Butter Poached Lobster was sold out at an early dinner time of 5:30. My guest,s Entree of Diver Scallops was very good. My Appertizer of Duck Confit Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms was terrible. Way too much Tempura Batter, looked like a plate of Corndogs. Not a good match. My Entree of Grilled Amberjack Fish with Dill, a dinner special, was very bland and underseasoned.except for Dill, which is all I tasted. Hope it was just a bad night, as I have always liked this restaurant
- Fabulous!JoanDined on 5/8/2014We had a birthday in our family group of 6. We arrived on time and were seated immediately. It was a slow night, which is nice because we were able to take in the full ambiance without rushing,.The service was spectacular, the food was Fabulous. My 14 year old is a picky eater and was able to find the chicken dish extremely enjoyable. He is a slow eater and the server never rushed him. Kudos to the server for that. we highly recommend CAV...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly goodmoolsterDined on 5/4/2014Our meal was very good overall. The bruschetta was superb. The caeser salad was slightly underdressed and a bit bland. We each ordered a pasta dish, one of which was very good and the other a bit too rich--more focused on the butter and cream rather than the pasta and lobster meat. One of our drinks was excellent (St. Germain margarita), the other watery and disappointing (cosmo). The bottom line: this was a very good meal, but incredibly pricy. When I spend close to $100 per person, I expect to see stars!Special Features:
- It Was OkMiddletownYummersDined on 5/3/2014I had been wanting to go here many times. The first time we tried, we got bumped by a private Christmas party which really stunk. We finally made it! The food was good and our server was nice. The first impression what bad though because they had someone greet us at the door that spoke no English. I tried speaking Spanish hoping that he was either a Spanish speaker or spoke Portuguese, but no luck. He couldn't even direct me to the bathroom. It surmised my initial opinion of the place after we were booted due to the party on 12/15/13, then the owner promised to get us something to make it right but never did and then we got there and voila, another miscommunication snafu. Frustrating. We will not go here again.
- Great brunchMJLadyDined on 4/27/2014Enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch. Had a reservation and seated right away. Large number of choices on the menu. Good service and great food. Ample size portions.Special Features:
- Wonderful find in ProvidenceDrmareDined on 4/27/2014As out-of-towners, we were looking for a place to meet up with family from NH for brunch on a Sunday in Providence. What a find CAV was. It exceeded our expectations. The food was fabulous. Two of us had the crab cake with poached egg on sweet bread. Another had the feta and spinach omelet, and two others had the wonderfully looking French toast with apples. The service was impeccable with just enough attention without being intrusive. And the Bloody Marys were very fine! The décor also adds to the experience. It is eclectic and interesting. Although I don't know that we have an occasion to be back in Providence anytime soon, it will definitely be on our list to return to for another wonderful adventure. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Love this place!MaryBVIPDined on 4/26/2014My daughter goes to college in Providence and I get to CAV as often as I can. The service is friendly and efficient and the food has never disappointed. The food is fresh and the flavor combinations are always such a pleasure. One of the guests in my party last Saturday night had the salmon with lichee, I had blackened grouper with pineapple salsa and two others had the mushroom risotto. Everyone loved their food and we had every sorbet for dessert. I highly recommend CAV.Special Features:
- Hopeless Romantic HitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014The place was absolutely beautiful and the food was wonderful! If you are looking for a great date night or just a place to enjoy a special meal at the CAV is the place to go. Food was great and the presentation perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EclecticHollyDined on 4/15/2014It was very different than any other restaurant in Providence. A unique atmosphere but very warm and comfortable, I would go back again for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchLgherecDined on 4/10/2014Took my best friend to the CAV for her birthday and it was a hit! We both love the ambience, staff is very pleasant attentive good selection of Entrees salads yummy desserts. Lots of time to chat we were not rushed. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchBonappetitDined on 3/30/2014The brunch has a well-executed, imaginative menu and very good service.Special Features:
- Remains a standoutProvidencefoodfanVIPDined on 3/29/2014I agree with NYT that lists CAV as one of the top five restaurants in Providence. Many visits and always a good experience.Special Features:
- Always a dining pleasureSusanleefeDined on 3/29/2014Although I don't live in Rhode Island, I have been dining at CAV for over 20 years...my go to restaurant in Providence. I have never been disappointed...this time was no exception. I have introduced many people to CAV and they have all loved the food, the ambience and the service. Can't wait til my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotzsofiDined on 3/27/2014I was there for lunch, but I wish I could go back for dinner soon! The menu looked great and our lunch sandwiches and salads were fresh and super tasty. Service was attentive, but not pushy. The atmosphere was great, even during the day. I can imagine that it's a pretty romantic spot at night.Special Features:
- Very good foodTilemanDined on 3/23/2014My wife and I have been here twice for Sunday brunch and have not been disappointed. We are considering dinner here in the future. Very romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance, Food, Equally WonderfulGriffDined on 3/22/2014The Cav provides a uniquely beautiful and comfortable setting for elegant dining, matched by innovative dishes perfectly prepared and presented. The service is top notch. Altogether, it makes for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly FantasticMarcCDined on 3/22/2014My wife and I have now been to CAV on multiple occasions and each time the food, service, and ambiance has been outstanding! The restaurant is very eclectic and the menu offers something for everyone. The Point Judith Calamari appetizer is awesome and tuna entree is AMAZING. I had the Spanish clam special appetizer and the seafood around the world special entree and both were dynamite. CAV has quickly become our FAVORITE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- most trycutes1125VIPDined on 3/15/2014my 1st time here with my boyfriend celebrating our 3 month anniversary - pei mussel as appetizer was awesome where we wish we had more bread to dip into the broth but our server was too busy waiting on other tables. i had the Pan Seared Diver Sea Scallops and Shrimp, finished with lobster butter where i could not taste the lobster butter and the riosotto was not what i excepted to be alittle more season or cheesy. my bf had NY strip from the special menu and it was cooked to his liking but there were parts of the wine reduction that was very pungent and needed to cook down a little more. overall, lovely and romantic night-lighting and glass/crystal decor hanging from the ceiling. the service is good just little more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic diningfoodieVIPDined on 3/13/2014CAV is a unique gem hidden in the heart of the Jewelry District of Providence…a haven of exotic global decor...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemLynneDined on 3/9/2014This has become one of my favorite restaurants. The food was delicious and the prices are reasonable. The atmosphere and decor make this spot a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedBorisandMouseDined on 3/8/2014Although we have dined numerous times in the past, we were disappointed in this visit and honestly probably not come back. The food was excellent as usual, but service was very slow and scattered. Our waiter seemed very distracted and it felt like he would have preferred not to wait on our table. We were there for our sister-in-laws birthday. She asked me to pick the restaurant because she likes my taste, but I felt bad that experience did not live up to our expectations. We spent nearly $400 here, won't do it again.Special Features:
- Excellent night outMikeDined on 3/8/2014Went there last minute, got right in. Food, service and atmosphere were superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceTinaDined on 3/4/2014Another notable Providence restaurant that satisfied all diners in our party. Ambience was artful and warm, and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice venue, food was good,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/3/2014Nice venue, food was good, but nothing special. Overall it was overpriced as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun environment/excellent servicetransientDined on 3/2/2014Thoroughly enjoyable, somewhat eclectic environment; prompt and attentive service; excellent menu for brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid restaurant, but underwhelmedMrTiggerGolfVIPDined on 3/1/2014Had dinner here before a show in Providence. Very weird decor, as it is basically an old antique / curios shop, but that had a sort of charm to it. The service / staff were excellent, perfectly attentive without being overbearing. Had the crab-cake appetizer.. tasty and nice/large chunks of crab, but a tad dry. Nice sauce to spice it up though. For dinner, I had the duo of duck. it was a solid dish, but the breast was more medium and the skin wasn't crispy and the confit was over-sauced. My wife's seafood / risotto dish was also solid, but not spectacular. I have no real complaints, but for the price of the place, i had higher expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!SteveBDined on 2/22/2014Have been to CAV on many occassions..... Took friends who had never been..... As expected, they enjoyed their experience at CAV.... A bit pricey but the food is always exceptional.... Friendly and attentive wait staff..... Will be back soon.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- valentine night disasterLabba19Dined on 2/14/2014i had heard good things about CAV from friends and from reviews on yelp. we have been to many higher end restaurants in the providence area. as we walked into the restaurant we were overwhelmed by the amount of extra tables CAV had squeezed in to accomodate extra reservations. the tables were literally a foot apart in some areas. as we sat down our waiter was clearly frazzled by the amount of tables he had. the bottle of wine took approx 30 mins to get to the table. we had to ask for bread 3 times before we received it.we ordered goat cheese croquettes for an app and were dissapointed after waiting 1 1/2 hrs for it!!!. both our entrees were ok but for $30 i expect excellent. i expect great service and great food and got neither.Special Features:
- Great Food!jpapinoDined on 2/14/2014I went to CAV with my wife for Valentines Day dinner for our second year in a row. The place was a lot more crowded than normal. They definitely crammed in extra tables because it was valentines day which made us feel a little less comfortable than normal and likely contributed to the mediocre service we received that night. The service was much better on previous trips to CAV. However , one thing that didn't change was the quality of the food. I had the filet and my wife had a lobster pasta dish. Both were extremely tasty. I would recommend this place if your looking for something unique and new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendDinerDined on 2/8/2014Found CAV on OpenTable with no prior knowledge of this restaurant. Nice atmosphere, broad selection of menu choices, attentive service and good food. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Satisfying but not specialtravellerDined on 2/4/2014I hadn't been to CAV in five years and returned for a small birthday dinner. The restaurant is lovely - the warm colors and decor made it a cozy spot for a cold winter night. The food is good but not outstanding. The menu seems safe and without much surprise. It is a good safe choice but not special enough to make me rush back for more.
- Dissapointing experienceDissapointedDined on 1/27/2014The place looked uniques and I took 2 colleagues there for lunch. We were not asked if we wanted anything to g to drink. No bread basket for our table. Everyone else around us got one. There were 2 waiters for the whole restaurant who were not very friendly at all and pretty curt. When we walked in place smelled funny and looked dirty as well. We ordered the bruschetta as an appetizer and it was toasted bread with ice cold toppings in the middle of the plate to make your own. The tomatoes were so cold you could not bite into them. The rest of the food was mediocre as well. The Italian tuna wrap was really salty and garlicky. Very dissapointing and I will not go there again. dirty.
- A little disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/25/2014We've been here before and it had been a great experience. This time seemed more busy than usual. Maybe that made a difference. This time around the service was very slow. The kitchen was backed up because of a large party. They brought out some wine while we waited. It happens. Calamari, tuna, hanger steak. The calamari was good, but not amazing. The tuna was very good. I recommend it. My wife's steak was ok. She said she's had better. It was undercooked and had to be sent back, but that happens too. The desert was great (salted caramel ice cream) as was the espresso. I hope it was the backup... We'll probably try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bustling Antique Shop/BarProvDinerDined on 1/25/2014The restaurant and bar are fairly small, you have to walk down a small path to find the nearly hidden entrance. Once inside it's warm and inviting with lots of unusual antiques and nick-nacks to give visual interest. The lighting is low to give it an intimate feel. For me, the prices were a bit on the high side, but the food turned out quite good. If you're looking for a cute date night or someplace different to go to, I would recommend Cav. Also, I looked over the lunch menu and those prices seemed much more on point with my typical dining budget, so you might want to start there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went during RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/23/2014We went during Restaurant week which was great for us because we leave in the building adjacent to CAV and we were always skeptical about price but not anymore. We were amazed as to how delicious the food was, the best Duck Confit I've ever had; steak cooked perfectly. We definitely will frequent CAV much more often now that we have a memorable experience to live off of. Tasting is Believing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect 25th anniversary DinnerAgathaDined on 1/20/2014My husband and I were looking for an interesting but special place to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and found CaV at this site. It was delightful. the restaurant was hidden away from the street, and appeared like an oasis out of the old factory buildings. Our service was impeccable, with cheerful, helpful and professional attentivenes. And then, there was the food! It was varied and delicious. Crab cake appetizer was crab meat with a bit of a bite from the aioli. Port wine pears with the chicken were unique and well-deserving of the awards it has won. Jim's filet was the best medium rare one he can remember being served, and there wasn't even a smidgen of bordelaise sauce on his plate when he finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical, spiritual, a lotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Magical, spiritual, a lot of soul and feelings. A very special place with character. The good is really good . My favorite in town.Special Features:
- Consistent pleasuremswoolDined on 1/18/2014The atmosphere and decor are comfortable, filled with African art, and interesting lighting. It's cozy, comfortable, and always a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningMissyDined on 1/18/2014Food was delicious and service was perfection. We had an amazing time and will be back! highly recommend for fine dinning. Attire for dinner business casual or elegant and you would fit right in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Decor, Horrible ServiceMichaelVIPDined on 1/18/2014Walking in, we were immediately impressed by the beautiful decor of the place. It seemed really cozy and charming. However, the food wasn't very good at all (risotto was mushy and ravioli was overly salty). The service was also very poor. It was busy, but they largely ignored our table and were not friendly at all.