1701 West Doe Run Rd.
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catherinesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6103472227
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - close, Saturday: 2 seatings: 6:00pm and 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin M. McMunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catherine's is available for private party rental and also offers exquisite menu creations for your special occasion. Please contact Marybeth for additional info. The restaurant also features their famous Boxed Lunches TO GO as well as a wonderful array of delicious sandwich trays for corporate/office lunches. Chef Kevin McMunn & his team make everything fresh daily including the breads & desserts. The Organic* Turkeys & Chicken are roasted for all sandwiches. Local Delivery is available for a fee.
- Private Party Facilities: Catherine's intimate dining room makes for an exceptional setting for your special occasion. The stunningly beautiful restaurant seats up to 50 people and is lit entirely by candles - over 125! Garden Patio seats 20. Available for private party rental. Rental fee is applied. Friday & Saturday Special Quote upon Request.
- Private Party Contact: Maybeth Brown 6103472227
- Entertainment: The Gallery at Catherine's is located next door to the Restaurant and features incredible local artists every month. "Feast on Brunch & Savor the Art!" The Gallery is available for viewing during restaurant hours of Tuesday thru Sunday - Lunch & Dinner. Gallery closed January thru March.
- Special Events: Please see www.catherinesrestaurant.com for upcoming events.
A word from Catherine's Restaurant
Catherine"s Restaurant is a charming BYOB nestled in the heart of Chester County's horse country. An upscale casual destination restaurant, located in the historic (c. 1851) Unionville General Store, Catherine's is 'dining at it's BEST.' (Philadelphia Inquirer) Chef Kevin McMunn's "Wild Mushroom & Lump Crab Soup is EXQUISITE." - Craig Laban. Catherine's is one of the Delaware Valley's top BYOB's and has earned many accolades over the past decade. They are rated EXCELLENT by Zagat. Chef Kevin McMunn and his partner & wife Marybeth Brown are an exceptional team that pay homage to Brown's grandmother, Catherine, with their warm and welcoming hospitality and unbelievably delicious food! The gorgeous dining room is lit entirely by candles - over 125 - which adds to the special touch of mini flashlights which come with every menu. Catherine's has recently added Lunch and weekend Brunch to their dining hours. The Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect way to end the weekend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Catherine's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Catherine's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (83)fit for foodies (82)great for outdoor dining (80)special occasion (80)romantic (65)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (26)good for groups (13)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lovely courtyard dining experienceBonAppetitDined on 9/28/2014Probably the best bacon, egg and home fries for Sunday brunch I think I've ever hard. When the temperature is right you can add to the experience by eating outside in the beautiful private courtyard behind the main antique building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014We have been there before and will go back again. We have had the same server each time and she again was wonderful. Food was again fantastic. Would recommend this restaurant to any of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTriumphDined on 9/24/2014Great dining experience. The ambiance is very romantic & relaxing. The food from apps to desert was not disappointing. Service was excellent, too. The only problem was a large table came in & they were very loud. The put them at a large table by the kitchen, but that really did not help. Don't really know what they could do about that, maybe some type of wall tapestry to help deaden the sound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in Chester CountyScottyDined on 9/24/2014Catherine's is one of our favorite restaurants in Chester County, PA. We go there on special occasions, like our wedding anniversary. The mushroom and crab soup is outstanding, about our favorite soup ever. It is BYOB and you will want to bring your best wine to go with the best dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 9/20/2014Had dinner outside on a nice Saturday evening and, even though the restaurant was busy, the service was great as was the food. Catherine's mushroom and crab soup is always a treat and our short ribs agnolotti and scallop entrees were beautifully prepared and delicious. We split a tasty peach cobbler for dessert. Great meal!Special Features:
- DisappointedDiner1Dined on 9/20/2014Not as good as usual. For the price of the entree special, I expected more. Had pan roasted red snapper with lump crab meat. Lacked seasoning and green beans were a bit tough. Had reservations at 6:30 for our anniversary and we were out by 8:00, felt like we were "hurried" along. Lastly I think a $7.00 corkage fee is a bit high. Overall, Catherine's is lacking the appeal it used to have. May be time to find a new "to go".I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014We have been to Catherine's before but save it for special occasions. The food is excellent but our favorite part is the ambiance and decor. Beautiful restaurant in the evenings with warm candle light and twinkling reflections. Fabulous decadent chipolte chocolate flourless cake!Special Features:
- surpriseddivagmomDined on 9/19/2014Picked by random as we planned a drive through the area. Loved our lunch and the setting. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- A nice evening with familycweaterVIPDined on 9/18/2014We enjoyed our meal at Catherine's Restaurant. I appreciated greatly their efforts to accommodate our food allergy needs. The outdoor dining was intimate and relaxing. The service was friendly, personable, and competent. The mushroom/crab soup was outstanding!! - should not be missed!!! Those who ate the Scallop dishes ( both the special and the regular menu) enjoyed them and the filet mignon was tender and flavorable. The jumbo shrimp, while large, was tough and not particularly tasty. For those not from the area, the restaurant is in UNIONVILLE not Kennett Square. Also BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014It was amazing. Brought my NYC parents here and they could not have been any more impressed. The mushroom soup was good but good God the Goat Cheese Ravioli with scallops was something you wanted to bathe in!!!! The steak was very good. Cooked perfectly with the lightest mashed potatoes I have ever eaten. BUT the Braised Short Ribs, Agnolotti Pasta Porcini Mushrooms, Madiera Cream Sauce was like nothing I have ever put in my mouth!!!!! Best thing was, it was a BYOB so the bill cam to about $52 a person. In NYC it would have benn$102 a person. Will be back ASAP. Maybe this time for brunch!!!!!
- Unique Dining ExperienceOpenTableDinerDined on 9/14/2014The historic home is beautifully decorated and interesting inside and out. The menu is creative and the service is excellent. We went for Sunday brunch and it was a loud and noisy place. Food presentation was pretty but not as tasty as expected. Overall, we were disappointed but will try again some time in the future.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We’ve eaten here three times and the food and service have been great all three times.Special Features:
- Great, as alwaysBurtDined on 9/13/2014Varied menu, good specials that were reasonably priced, everything perfectly prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!JDGroveDined on 9/13/2014My wife were at Catherine's for our 2nd anniversary. The service was on-point. Was never late, and was never rushed. The food was delicious- and cooked to order. Very nice atmosphere. A very pleasant experience!Special Features:
- Unfriendly to food allergiesdairyfree125Dined on 9/12/2014The seafood entrees included some form of dairy product in the topping or sauce. When I asked the server if the chef could either leave off or change the sauce on any of them, she said no. She did offer the scallop appetizer as an alternative, but never asked the chef what he could do and had an impatient attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT A GEMruthieDined on 9/12/2014We decided to try this restaurant during Brandywine Valley Restaurant Week. From Wilmington the daylight drive on Rt 52 and Rt 1 was lovely. The parking lot in the back gave a view of a wild and lovely garden followed by a patio with comfortable tables and chair benches. Our service was immediate, enthusiastic and well informed. Now to the food: they are famous for their wild mushroom lump crab soup--a large serving filled with lumps of crab and various wild mushrooms. It was spectacular. The bread with a pesto spread was great with the soup. We both got sea scallops with a lemon arugala pestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Local RestaurantTILMDined on 9/11/2014Great food, nice atmosphere. Little loud for those who can not hear well. If it had been a nicer evening we would have eaten on the patio. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great special occasion.CRPSLGDined on 9/11/2014We wanted a special place to celebrate our 43 anniversary. Catherine's turned out to be that place. The atmosphere is warm and the service was wonderful. They were attentive, friendly and almost seemed to anticipate your every need. The food was exquisite. From the starter of mushroom and crab soup, to the filet mignon to the desert sampler, all delectable, at the correct temp, and in a timely manner. At no point were we rushed. The deserts are made on premise by their own pastry chef (who is a gem). This is a BYOB restaurant and they are very accommodating with wine glasses pre-set on the table. I'd recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Outstanding!DaveDined on 9/10/2014Catherine's has been outstanding on each occasion we have visited. The food and service are always great and the wine is whatever you bring. I only wish they had larger tables for groups rather then pushing small rounds together.Special Features:
- Catherine's Restaurant UnionvilleFood01Dined on 9/6/2014My family and I eat here at least once or twice a month. The food is amazing. Wonderful view, peaceful dining, exceptional service.Special Features:
- Great Small Town RestaurantRiceky60Dined on 9/5/2014Very good food. Interesting menu. Friendly service. Remember to bring your own wine.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, but noisyFritzDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed it and found the food to be excellent, as was the service. If you want a quiet dark restaurant, this is not it. It's dark, alright, but very noisy as the dining room got to be 60 or 70 percent filled!Special Features:
- City dining in the burbsRosebud1128VIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our second time at Catherine's and we will return. Scrumptious food in a pleasant atmosphere; very interesting decor, can't help but smile at all the creative touches.Special Features:
- Rustic Chester County GemWhenHarryMetSallyDined on 8/29/2014Had a wonderful dinner with just the right portions. Very unique space which used to be the General Store in the village of Unionville. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Comfortable gourmetlove2eatoutDined on 8/28/2014Had a lovely evening with great food, friendly service, and a pleasant setting where the background music did not drown out the conversation!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014I was disappointed on several levels. I had eaten there several years ago and had fond memories of the food and service. We went there for our wedding anniversary which I had indicated on the reservation form. The restaurant was extremely slow that evening(Thursday) with only 3 other tables being served. We brought a bottle of champagne with us and our waitress promised to get champagne glasses. Somehow she forgot and we had to remind her after waiting for the glasses for about 15 minutes. The food was okay-nothing to write home about. After finishing our entrees, it seemed that we waited almost 1/2 an hour for our plates to be cleared from the table. As I mentioned, the restaurant was nearly empty. Service and food were below par.Special Features:
- Our Chester County favTheMacsDined on 8/27/2014Always excellent food, friendly service, and a great experience. Last night we forgot our wine and our server offered complimentary glasses of Merlot. I couldn't decide between two desserts and she said "how about I bring you half of each?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BridgeexpertVIPDined on 8/23/2014It is quite enjoyable. Lovely inn like setting but was quite noisy initially. It was very busy. Nice menu. Well prepared food.Special Features:
- Delicious BYOOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Four of us had a wonderful dinner. Mushroom soup, Spinach Salad, Goat Cheese appetizers were great....the Five Spice Pork with Fig Reduction, Shrimp with Ravioli Special and Short Rib Agnolotti were delicious. Desserts were not to be missed....the flourless chipotle chocolate cake....yumm! The restaurant wasn't totally full, but was very loud...parking could be a challenge.Special Features:
- Delicious DiningHappyGoLuckyDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a BYOB in Chester County and discovered Catherine's. The four of us loved our meals. We each had a different entree which included tuna steak, scallops, crab cakes, and shrimp with noodles. Three of us enjoyed the mushroom/crab soup and the other person had a salad for appetizers. For dessert, two of us had the raspberry sorbet, and the others had a bread pudding and a peach and raspberry tart. Everything was so yummy, and we can't wait to return. The outside dinning was very inviting, and there were no bugs.Special Features:
- A great dinnerMikeDined on 8/16/2014Four of us were here for dinner. The wild mushroom soup was fantastic. I never eat here without starting my meal with a bowl of this excellent soup. Two of us had crab cakes , one had scallops and one had the special for the night - lamb chops. All were done just right and were excellent. The risotto that came with it was great too. We shared a piece of excellent key lime pie to top it off. Overall, a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerhmacDined on 8/15/2014Great place for a special occasion. Service was excellent. BYOB, so we brought a nice Pinot Grigio. The Mushroom Soup with Lump Crabmeat was excellent as was special salad of Baby Greens with Pistachio Encrusted Goat Cheese and Black Fig Dressing. I had a very good Filet Mignon and my wife had the Scallops which were both very good. The Strawberry Mojito sorbet was an excellent finish to a great evening. Reasonable pricing for the quality of the meal. I wish it was closer to my home!Special Features:
- We will returnPepedinningexperiencesDined on 8/15/2014Short menu but effective. The service was punctual and always attentive. BYOB is always an attraction for any dinning experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014The outdoor patio is a lovely setting that matches the outstanding quality of the food and service.Special Features:
- memorablebhwriterDined on 8/13/2014happened to go- no real reason to. WHAT A NICE SURPRISE- the food was outstanding. All 6 of us shared bites & everyones food was not good it was SPECTACULAR. Food prepared really well- all parts of the meal outstanding. the mushroom soup is a must now my favorite. Will be returning that is a fact. Service was lovely & super helpful & went out of their waySpecial Features:
- Excellent Dinnerluv2dineoutDined on 8/9/2014We had heard wonderful things about Catherine's Restaurant and decided to try it ourselves. Glad we did, it was excellent! Mushroom Crab soup is a must have ~ delicous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming with and artistic flare...luvtoeatoutDined on 8/8/2014We ate outside. The patio is so nicely decorated with nick knacks and candles. The food was great as always. We go to this restaurant once a month when we feel like treating ourselves to a special evening. It was never let us down. This month the owners are celebrating their 15 year of operations. I hope they have another 15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!BooksandchaiDined on 8/3/2014This is my second time eating at Catherine's for brunch, and it just keeps getting better and better. Pastries are to die for, and our waitress brought out some samples for us to try before our food came that were delicious. I ordered the bananas foster Belgium waffle and it was by far the best breakfast I've ever had in a restaurant. Definitely my favorite breakfast place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Great food, great service. The blackened scallops appetiser by itself is enough reason to visit ( again ).Special Features:
- 36andcounting36andcountingDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I enjoyed a superb dining experience. The weather permitted sitting outside in a charming garden space. The entrees while a little high were worth the expense-good ingredients preparedly wonderfully. Coffee afrter dinner was amazing. Service was attentive. My only complaint-corkage fee in BYOB? Seriously? This is a pet peeve of mine. However, the overall experience was just great. We will go back--love to try the brunch!Special Features: