1701 West Doe Run Rd.
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catherinesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6103472227
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - close, Saturday: 2 seatings: 6:00pm and 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin M. McMunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catherine's is available for private party rental and also offers exquisite menu creations for your special occasion. Please contact Marybeth for additional info. The restaurant also features their famous Boxed Lunches TO GO as well as a wonderful array of delicious sandwich trays for corporate/office lunches. Chef Kevin McMunn & his team make everything fresh daily including the breads & desserts. The Organic* Turkeys & Chicken are roasted for all sandwiches. Local Delivery is available for a fee.
- Private Party Facilities: Catherine's intimate dining room makes for an exceptional setting for your special occasion. The stunningly beautiful restaurant seats up to 50 people and is lit entirely by candles - over 125! Garden Patio seats 20. Available for private party rental. Rental fee is applied. Friday & Saturday Special Quote upon Request.
- Private Party Contact: Maybeth Brown 6103472227
- Entertainment: The Gallery at Catherine's is located next door to the Restaurant and features incredible local artists every month. "Feast on Brunch & Savor the Art!" The Gallery is available for viewing during restaurant hours of Tuesday thru Sunday - Lunch & Dinner. Gallery closed January thru March.
- Special Events: Please see www.catherinesrestaurant.com for upcoming events.
A word from Catherine's Restaurant
Catherine"s Restaurant is a charming BYOB nestled in the heart of Chester County's horse country. An upscale casual destination restaurant, located in the historic (c. 1851) Unionville General Store, Catherine's is 'dining at it's BEST.' (Philadelphia Inquirer) Chef Kevin McMunn's "Wild Mushroom & Lump Crab Soup is EXQUISITE." - Craig Laban. Catherine's is one of the Delaware Valley's top BYOB's and has earned many accolades over the past decade. They are rated EXCELLENT by Zagat. Chef Kevin McMunn and his partner & wife Marybeth Brown are an exceptional team that pay homage to Brown's grandmother, Catherine, with their warm and welcoming hospitality and unbelievably delicious food! The gorgeous dining room is lit entirely by candles - over 125 - which adds to the special touch of mini flashlights which come with every menu. Catherine's has recently added Lunch and weekend Brunch to their dining hours. The Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect way to end the weekend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Catherine's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Catherine's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (78)great for outdoor dining (73)romantic (71)great for brunch (37)great for lunch (27)good for groups (10)scenic view (7)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- BridgeexpertVIPDined on 8/23/2014It is quite enjoyable. Lovely inn like setting but was quite noisy initially. It was very busy. Nice menu. Well prepared food.Special Features:
- Delicious BYOOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Four of us had a wonderful dinner. Mushroom soup, Spinach Salad, Goat Cheese appetizers were great....the Five Spice Pork with Fig Reduction, Shrimp with Ravioli Special and Short Rib Agnolotti were delicious. Desserts were not to be missed....the flourless chipotle chocolate cake....yumm! The restaurant wasn't totally full, but was very loud...parking could be a challenge.Special Features:
- Delicious DiningHappyGoLuckyDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a BYOB in Chester County and discovered Catherine's. The four of us loved our meals. We each had a different entree which included tuna steak, scallops, crab cakes, and shrimp with noodles. Three of us enjoyed the mushroom/crab soup and the other person had a salad for appetizers. For dessert, two of us had the raspberry sorbet, and the others had a bread pudding and a peach and raspberry tart. Everything was so yummy, and we can't wait to return. The outside dinning was very inviting, and there were no bugs.Special Features:
- A great dinnerMikeDined on 8/16/2014Four of us were here for dinner. The wild mushroom soup was fantastic. I never eat here without starting my meal with a bowl of this excellent soup. Two of us had crab cakes , one had scallops and one had the special for the night - lamb chops. All were done just right and were excellent. The risotto that came with it was great too. We shared a piece of excellent key lime pie to top it off. Overall, a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerhmacDined on 8/15/2014Great place for a special occasion. Service was excellent. BYOB, so we brought a nice Pinot Grigio. The Mushroom Soup with Lump Crabmeat was excellent as was special salad of Baby Greens with Pistachio Encrusted Goat Cheese and Black Fig Dressing. I had a very good Filet Mignon and my wife had the Scallops which were both very good. The Strawberry Mojito sorbet was an excellent finish to a great evening. Reasonable pricing for the quality of the meal. I wish it was closer to my home!Special Features:
- We will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Short menu but effective. The service was punctual and always attentive. BYOB is always an attraction for any dinning experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014The outdoor patio is a lovely setting that matches the outstanding quality of the food and service.Special Features:
- memorablebhwriterDined on 8/13/2014happened to go- no real reason to. WHAT A NICE SURPRISE- the food was outstanding. All 6 of us shared bites & everyones food was not good it was SPECTACULAR. Food prepared really well- all parts of the meal outstanding. the mushroom soup is a must now my favorite. Will be returning that is a fact. Service was lovely & super helpful & went out of their waySpecial Features:
- Excellent Dinnerluv2dineoutDined on 8/9/2014We had heard wonderful things about Catherine's Restaurant and decided to try it ourselves. Glad we did, it was excellent! Mushroom Crab soup is a must have ~ delicous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming with and artistic flare...luvtoeatoutDined on 8/8/2014We ate outside. The patio is so nicely decorated with nick knacks and candles. The food was great as always. We go to this restaurant once a month when we feel like treating ourselves to a special evening. It was never let us down. This month the owners are celebrating their 15 year of operations. I hope they have another 15.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!BooksandchaiDined on 8/3/2014This is my second time eating at Catherine's for brunch, and it just keeps getting better and better. Pastries are to die for, and our waitress brought out some samples for us to try before our food came that were delicious. I ordered the bananas foster Belgium waffle and it was by far the best breakfast I've ever had in a restaurant. Definitely my favorite breakfast place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Great food, great service. The blackened scallops appetiser by itself is enough reason to visit ( again ).Special Features:
- 36andcounting36andcountingDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I enjoyed a superb dining experience. The weather permitted sitting outside in a charming garden space. The entrees while a little high were worth the expense-good ingredients preparedly wonderfully. Coffee afrter dinner was amazing. Service was attentive. My only complaint-corkage fee in BYOB? Seriously? This is a pet peeve of mine. However, the overall experience was just great. We will go back--love to try the brunch!Special Features:
- An excellent findjustwannaliveDined on 8/1/2014I used to drive past this place on my way to work through the back roads towards Delaware. I started hearing some really good things about it and the quality of the food. I took my wife here for our anniversary dinner and it was excellent. Service was great. Kennet Square is just down the street so we went there for a nice evening walk after.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catherine's RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014Received recommendation from local B & B. Excellent meal from beginning to end - - greeted warmly upon arrival and noted that reservation made on Open Table. Food specials were seafood - which we love. Perfectly presented and beans prepared just right. Received a "taste" of an extra dessert at no charge - - "just because." On leaving, was given a dessert to provide to B & B owners for thanking them for recommending Catherine's. Lastly, option of BYOB was great - - made the occasion all the better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem.....FoodieDined on 7/27/2014Friendly, comfortable, relaxed, professional, attentive service and Very Good food. Enjoyed Sunday brunch........looking forward to a dinner perhaps even on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great meal on the patio on a beautiful Saturday evening. Nice salads followed by excellent scallops over pappardelle noodles made for a fine meal. Patio needs more light as it gets dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked away gemAviendhaDined on 7/26/2014We love this place. The food is great and the service exceptional.Special Features:
- Worthy of a reviewMacDadeDined on 7/24/2014I rarely take time to review, but this is a nice exception. My wife's birthday dinner was exceptional in every way at Chaherine's Restaurant. Food was outstanding...staff was personable and very friendly and the quite little outdoor patio was perfect according to my wife. We will be back with friends in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerfoodloversDined on 7/19/2014We dined at Catherine's on 7/4 and decided to have my birthday dinner there this past Saturday. Another amazing meal. We had the specials; fish topped with crab and rack of lamb. Both were sooooooooooo good - we shared both dishes. Our meal was topped of with a lemon mascapone tart. Never had such flaky crust in my life and I am a baker!! The service, as usual, was so friendly and attentive. Catherine's by far is our favorite restaurantSpecial Features:
- SuperbAstroGDined on 7/19/2014Dining at Catherine's on a Saturday evening we found the place to be very cosy and romantic. The lamb special featured a honey and lavender glaze and was exquisite. My partner had a flawless filet mignon. The food was executed to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and friendlytrbart2Dined on 7/18/2014We had a late lunch at Catherine's on a really nice summer day. Sat outside on their tiny four table patio and enjoyed the food, sunshine and service. Overall very nice experience.Special Features:
- Limited menu1stdinerDined on 7/17/2014No chicken dishes. Significant fee to open a bottlel of wine. Good service. Food was good but somewhat overpriced. Very quite since only two other tables occupited in the restaurant. Soup was excellent as well as the filet steakSpecial Features:
- FavoriteLoumanDined on 7/16/2014Catherine's is a great restaurant. The food is excellent and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Also, it is a BYOB which is always a plus.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday BrunchFoodie113Dined on 7/13/2014We had a delightful Sunday Brunch at Catherine's. I had the Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes, that were cooked to perfection. The combination of flavor was over to the top. My guest had French Toast, with a Caramel Maple topping, powder sugar and a touch of mint. The presentation was beautiful. Don't forgot a side of bacon. The hand sliced bacon is a must-have. Our server was very knowledgeable and funny which made our dining experience that much better. If you haven't tried Catherine's, you are missing out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatpra59Dined on 7/13/2014We went to Catherine's for brunch. The ambience at Catherine's is great, inside and outside. The smoked mozzarella omelet didn't have enough cheese. The ricotta pancakes were dry. However, the mushroom and crab soup was outstanding! Also, the prices are high. $75(before tip and voucher) for brunch for two, without alcohol, is high.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had another very pleasant evening at Catherine's, eating outdoors on a balmy July evening. The menu doesn't change much here, so the grouper special for the evening was a most welcome addition that my wife thoroughly enjoyed. My Chinese 5 spice pork was succulent and juicy, among the best pork preparations that I have ever had. Starters were the mushroom-crab bisque, which is in a class by itself, and a wonderful summer salad with a soy ginger dressing. DelightfulSpecial Features:
- Favorite neighborhood gemSallyGirlDined on 7/12/2014Catherine's never disappoints. The food, service and setting were excellent -- as always! Our foodie brother and sister-in-law who live near and often frequent NYC were delighted and impressed with their delicious meals.Special Features:
- Last Minute DinnersrfntrfDined on 7/11/2014Great little BYOB with nicely prepared dishes. Very accommodating and knowledgeable around food allergies. Had a great dinner and will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic spot wit very good foodFritzVIPDined on 7/11/2014Out door dining area was lovely. Food was very good and the mushroom soup was terrific! Very courteous and efficient staff. We will be back.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Catherine'sBrianaDined on 7/6/2014This was our first brunch at Catherine's, but we had heard great things! It was a wonderful meal. I had the portobello omelette with home fries. My dad had the pancakes and bacon. Bacon was the best any of us had EVER had. I can't say enough about how good it was. Everything was so fresh and made with attention to detail. Large portions. Great coffee, too. All served on the most adorable dishes. Personal service. A great experience. Feels like home but way better! So lucky to have this restaurant nearby!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catherine's restsurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Pretty and quaint. We sat on the patio next to the residential door. Young boy came out with motorized bicycle. Heard young children fighting. Both of these situations took away from the experience. Appetizer salad was just fair, and over priced. Restaurant was out of ice cream, really in the summer. Entree was okay a little too rich. Heard good things about this place so I was disappointed. Will not go back. There are better places in Chester county
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014Tucked away in a quiet part of Chester County, PA is a little restaurant. Beautiful food, BYO, great service- just the perfect setting for a romantic dinner. Don't pass this by-make reservations. I wish we lived closer. It could become habit forming.Special Features:
- What a great dinner!foodloversDined on 7/4/2014Dinner was amazing and so creative.They served a fresh tomato basil dipping sauce with bread - yum!! The service was very attentive and friendly but not hovering. We shared the special warm goat cheese salad and had fillet and halibut which we also shared. Everything was excellent. Be sure to save room for the fresh berry bread pudding.......We will be back very soon.Special Features:
- They were closedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014They need to notify Open Table if they are closed for a holiday or post something on their website. My mom and I each drove an hour to go to Catherine's on 4th of July (they are half way between the two of us) and they were closed. Fortunately, Limoncello was open and we had a lovely dinner there. I highly recommend them.
- Absolutely awesome!cuddly44Dined on 7/2/2014Catherine's is my favorite restaurant, and we visit many. The service is excellent, attentive but not intrusive, and the atmosphere is quiet enough for conversation. But best of all--the food--which is high quality, local and deliciously prepared. Especially recommended are the scallops and filet. Even the coffee and, of course, their signature key lime pie are outstanding. Great spot for foodies! Five stars!!Special Features:
- Always great food but...DJS8ballVIPDined on 6/27/2014$7 corkage fee? C'mon. That's just gouging. I can understand when there is a larger table where they are going through 4+ bottles of wine but for a two-top with one bottle? All the server did was pull the cork...never once came back to full a glass. Food is always great here and the servers do a great job otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues its excellent reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014We have always enjoyed our experience at Catherine's---the food is excellent, the service is attentive and prompt. It is our favorite restaurant in the area. We eat there on special occasions or just to have an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 6/26/2014Wonderful meal in a lovely outdoor setting. Catherine's menu doesn't vary much, but it doesn't need to. Beet salad was fresh and delicious and the mushroom-crab bisque is always a winner. Ahi tuna was done perfectly, as were my wife's scallops. Service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/26/2014We went on a weeknight for our anniversary and had the place to ourselves which probably helped with the service and ambiance. Food was excellent from start to finish. Only negative was the cost - very expensive. $110 (before tip) for two salads, two entrees, two iced teas, and two desserts. We will definitely come back but probably only for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.