1701 West Doe Run Rd.
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catherinesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (610) 347-2227
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - close, Saturday: 2 seatings: 6:00pm and 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
The ever popular JAZZ NIGHTS & monthly Dinner with A Medium are booked by phone reservations only. Exclusive offers available through emails and Catherine's Facebook page. Sign up today!
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin M. McMunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catherine's is available for private party rental and also offers exquisite menu creations for your special occasion. Please contact Marybeth for additional info. The restaurant also features their famous Boxed Lunches TO GO as well as a wonderful array of delicious sandwich trays for corporate/office lunches. Chef Kevin McMunn & his team make everything fresh daily including the breads & desserts. The Organic* Turkeys & Chicken are roasted for all sandwiches. Local Delivery is available for a fee.
- Private Party Facilities: Catherine's intimate dining room makes for an exceptional setting for your special occasion. The stunningly beautiful restaurant seats up to 50 people and is lit entirely by candles - over 125! Garden Patio seats 20. Available for private party rental. Rental fee is applied. Friday & Saturday Special Quote upon Request.
- Private Party Contact: Maybeth Brown 6103472227x
- Special Events: Please see www.catherinesrestaurant.com for upcoming events.
A word from Catherine's Restaurant
Catherine"s Restaurant is a charming BYOB nestled in the heart of Chester County's horse country. An upscale casual destination restaurant, located in the historic (c.1851) Unionville General Store, Catherine's is 'dining at it's BEST.' (Philadelphia Inquirer) Chef Kevin McMunn's "Wild Mushroom & Lump Crab Soup is EXQUISITE." Craig Laban. Catherine's is one of the Delaware Valley's top BYOB's & has earned many accolades since opening in West Chester in 1999! Catherine's is continually rated EXCELLENT by Zagat. Chef Kevin McMunn and his partner & wife Marybeth Brown are an exceptional team that pay homage to Brown's grandmother, Catherine, with their warm and welcoming hospitality and unbelievably delicious food! The gorgeous dining room is lit entirely by candles - over 125 - which adds to the special touch of mini flashlights which come with every menu. Enjoy Lunch and weekend Brunch on the patio. The Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect way to end the weekend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Catherine's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Catherine's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)neighborhood gem (93)special occasion (83)great for outdoor dining (67)romantic (63)great for brunch (31)great for lunch (28)good for groups (20)hot spot (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wine night groupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Superb food and service. Group of eight. Hard to hear people talking due to noise.had a terrific evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodJenniferDined on 11/21/2014If you're looking for a nice date night this is the place. Great food and service, and romantic. It is a BYOB and if you bring a local wine there is no corkage fee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceLoumanDined on 11/20/2014Catherine's is a great restaurant. The food and service is outstanding. It is also a BYOB. It is one of our favorite places. make sure you try the mushroom soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unionville GemBuntzVIPDined on 11/19/2014To-die-for mushroom bisque with crab, tasty roasted goat cheese salad, lovely scallops, short ribs with agnolotti comfort food, and delicious key lime pie, all in beautiful, downtown Unionville! Who needs anything more on a November night that was more like mid-January?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious! Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Our first visit was for brunch to celebrate our best friend's birthday, and we are looking forward to returning to sample many other breakfast, lunch and dinner menu items. Our server was most accommodating to our needs. Two thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming surprisePGWestDined on 11/16/2014First visit for Sunday brunch. Unique decor immediately eye candy. Can't wait for warm weather to dine on the outside patio...also very inviting. Menu choices were good variety and all dishes worth "going out" to dine. We ordered waffles and pancakes and both dishes had gourmet touches that made them a step above. Coffee was delicious! A slight mix up on the bills, but VERY nicely taken care of by staff. Service with a smile is an understatement! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favoriteTheMacsDined on 11/15/2014Catherine's is our favorite spot in Chester County!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very enjoyable!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014We have never had a bad meal. We have our favorites like the scallop appetizer and the pear salad and the steaks are always cooked to our specs, we have never sent anything back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacePeggyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Best mushroom soup ever, and best biscotti I've ever had. Parking a bit tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerWrightVIPDined on 11/15/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner on Saturday evening. The restaurant was full but we were still able to have a conversation even with a lively party behind us. The special salad with the pear and goat cheese was awesome and our entrees were cooked to perfection! The owners also increased the lighting which made dinner so much more enjoyable. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlightfnpDined on 11/9/2014Truly an amazing place. Recommend the eggs Benedict with the bacon (it's the filet mignon of bacon) out of this world.Special Features:
- Unexpected DiscoveryDPSTOWEDined on 11/8/2014Very near Longwood for those who come from out of town. However, make a reservation and know it is BYOB. Interesting and tasty menu, but heavy on the shellfish. As I am allergic to shellfish this limited my options. Wonderful, friendly staff. Engaging and eclectic decor in a former general store. Tucked away in the country this is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014As usual our dinning experience at Catherine's was "awesome!" The food is outstanding and the service is always very professional and very friendly. The servers make you feel like you are their very own special guest. Catherine's is a hidden gem, that more people should take the time to enjoy.Special Features:
- A Pleasant Suprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Everything was very good including the special service. The seating for five was awkward but liveable. The price was within an acceptable range for a good BYOB.Special Features:
- New menu additionsDEdinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We have always enjoyed the food and service at this outstanding rural BYO. The new fall menu includes some excellent new items including the porcini mushroom and short rib entree. definitely worth the trip.Special Features:
- Birthday BrunchFoodiesVIPDined on 11/2/2014They did an excellent job with the food, service and we enjoyed how their menu was different then most. The bacon is amazing and more like pig belly/ canadian style. The BYOB charge is a bit much, but I get it once you see how they prepare your wine/drinks.Special Features:
- Small Menu RevisitedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014We tried Catherine's a couple of years ago and found the very small menu was often not a fit for our appetite that day. This has been addressed with a modest and thoughtful expansion to the menu featuring the addition of more than one fish dish. The baby spinach salad with blue cheese could better be called the juvenile spinach salad with a hint of blue cheese...somewhere. A nice salad, just not exactly as advertised. This minor complaint was our only one as the stripped bass and angioletti with pulled short rib were both generous and sinful. Citrus cheese cake was, as is often the case, more cheese pie, but smooth, rich and tasty. Why is whipped cream so often served with cheese cake? It is like putting butter on foie gras.Special Features:
- Rustic, country charm.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Very quaint, country feel, comfortably casual restaurant. BYOB with a $7 corking fee. On the expensive side, but worth it. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappytravelersDined on 10/30/2014Ambience was great. The food was excellent. Service was terrific and very accomadating yet unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful brunch!BethVIPDined on 10/26/2014We had a great Sunday brunch. The mushroom soup with crab was amazing, and all of our egg dishes were fantastic. The sausage and bacon are really not to be missed. If you saved any room the flourless chocolate chipotle cake, you will not be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome ExperienceScruffEDawgDined on 10/25/2014What a great meal! Dinner was great, service attentive. Will be back many times.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014We were a group of 4. We all had different entrees and we were all very pleased with out selections. Service was good to excellent. The noise level is quite high - not much can be done about that. Overall, I look forward to my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrianDined on 10/24/2014We have been to Catherine' several times in the last couple of years. This is the best food I have had out in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bearthomasDined on 10/24/2014GROUPER SPECIAL WAS EXCELLENT> MUSHROOM SOUP IS ALWAYS SPECIALSpecial Features:
- Great food & servicelucoopDined on 10/18/2014Love Catherine's restaurant for the occasional night out with my husband. The service is always excellent. Our waitress (whom we've had before in the past) is warm, friendly, attentive, & goes out of her way to accommodate any special requests. She helped to make our dining experience terrific! The food was delicious, too. I can't get enough of the bread & tomato jam the bring out before our meal...Delicious. My husband had the special - red snapper with french risotto. OMG! I ate quite a bit of his meal it was so good! My dish was a pasta & shrimp, which was quite good but not like the snapper & risotto. Oh, & you have to try the mushroom soup. It's the best soup!Special Features:
- First visit to Catherine'schefwannabeDined on 10/17/2014This was our first visit to Catherine's and the staff made us feel very welcomed and they were very friendly! My husband and I went there to celebrate our anniversary. Food was excellent! Service was great! Difficult to have a conversation because of the noise level. I do have to say, though, we are looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food at Catherine's is always exceptional and the presentation is beautifully done. Service is friendly and the servers are well informed. Cannot imagine that any diner would have anything but a positive experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant celebration!BobbyDined on 10/15/2014The quiet candle lit room was perfect for a celebration. The service was attentive but not over bearing. The food was wonderful well presented and wonderful combination of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EuropeanCoupleDined on 10/12/2014Catherine's is ideal for a leisurely lunch after visiting Longwood Gardens. The food is interesting but their tuna and their ravioli stand out. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat PerformenceBoChangDined on 10/11/2014One frequents a restaurant for a number of reasons. Catherine's is a healthy 40 minute drive from home but every bit worth it. We like "BYOBs". The small but eclectic menu is always great, as are the specials. The mushroom crab soup and the blackened scallops are our favorite starters. As frequenters, the service staff is familiar with us and greets us each time we dine there. Service is always friendly, informative and most frequently, meets time expectations. I top off my dining experience and my waist line with what I think is the best key lime pie, not too sour, not cloyingly sweet. The setting is rustic and warm, however, the decibel level can get rather high. I gather Catherine's has a lot of repeat diners for both dinner and brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecorpinkblondeDined on 10/11/2014I loved the decor, very rustic and lots of candles.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningPA7TravelerVIPDined on 10/9/2014Catherine 's is a very special restaurant. We are never disappointed with the selections on the menu. Service is always good. Ambiance romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Country DelightjrtloverDined on 10/5/2014My family and I had brunch at Catherine's Restaurant recently. It's located in Chester County's hunt country in the town of Unionville (though it's address is Kennett Square).What a great experience it was!! As it is byob, we brought a bottle of champagne with us, and the staff brought out pitchers of orange and pomegranate juices. It's little touches like that make a great experience greater. The food was delicious!! We each had two courses, and everyone loved every bite-full! I should have said three courses because we all had dessert!! Of course, they were equally scrumptious!! The decor was both whimsical and appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as usualGregWestChesterPADined on 10/4/2014Great meal with very good, friendly service. The room was warm for an early October evening, and the noise level was a bit more than expected. But the food was excellent. Mushroom & crab soup is a must. As is the porcini stuffed agnolotti with braised short ribs. Not only was it one of the best dishes I've had in recent memory, but it was a good portion too...as were all the meals at our table. You want to eat here. Remember to bring your wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad noise level on Saturday nightKSMSDined on 10/4/2014We have eaten here previously on a weeknight and it was perfectly delightful. However, our dinner last Saturday was ruined by an absurdly high noise level. It was so loud that our server could not hear us place our orders for dinner. We had difficulty hearing the person sitting across the table from us when they spoke. We will never eat here again on a weekend. A dinner out should include, besides good food, good conversation. That is hard to achieve when you cannot hear normal volumes of conversational speech.
- Excellent!Riceky60Dined on 10/2/2014Very good food, well presented, in this family run place. More than just convenient if you are visiting the Brandywine Valley, this is an excellent spot to have a reasonably priced meal (not cheap, but not expensive either). Be sure to bring your own wine - they have no license.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had another fine meal at one of our Chester County favorites. This time, we had the sea scallops and crab cakes with tasty salads before hand. Everything was top-notch, including Susan's service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful anniversary dinnerltd58VIPDined on 10/1/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner. We both had great appetizers, a goat cheese salad and blackened scallops. Both of our entrees were out of this world, scallops with Paparadelle Noodles, asparagus, caramelized ginger & lemon basil and Blackened Tuna Steak fire roasted poblanos & smoky paprika cream. Such a delicious meal. For dessert we had a wonderful key lime pie and our waitress made a double dessert with apple raspberry pie and the delicious pumping bread pudding. Our waitress Susan was an awesome waitress. Would highly recommend coming to this nice restaurant that is in a rural setting.Special Features:
- papaDined on 9/28/2014Have been patronizing for years. Always consistently a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Awesome FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014Outstanding service, great food and unique atmosphere. The only thing I can say is this place is fabulous!Special Features: