1701 West Doe Run Rd.
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catherinesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6103472227
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast and Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - close, Saturday: 2 seatings: 6:00pm and 8:30pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin M. McMunn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Delivery, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Catherine's is available for private party rental and also offers exquisite menu creations for your special occasion. Please contact Marybeth for additional info. The restaurant also features their famous Boxed Lunches TO GO as well as a wonderful array of delicious sandwich trays for corporate/office lunches. Chef Kevin McMunn & his team make everything fresh daily including the breads & desserts. The Organic* Turkeys & Chicken are roasted for all sandwiches. Local Delivery is available for a fee.
- Private Party Facilities: Catherine's intimate dining room makes for an exceptional setting for your special occasion. The stunningly beautiful restaurant seats up to 50 people and is lit entirely by candles - over 125! Garden Patio seats 20. Available for private party rental. Rental fee is applied. Friday & Saturday Special Quote upon Request.
- Private Party Contact: Maybeth Brown 6103472227
- Entertainment: The Gallery at Catherine's is located next door to the Restaurant and features incredible local artists every month. "Feast on Brunch & Savor the Art!" The Gallery is available for viewing during restaurant hours of Tuesday thru Sunday - Lunch & Dinner. Gallery closed January thru March.
- Special Events: Please see www.catherinesrestaurant.com for upcoming events.
A word from Catherine's Restaurant
Catherine"s Restaurant is a charming BYOB nestled in the heart of Chester County's horse country. An upscale casual destination restaurant, located in the historic (c. 1851) Unionville General Store, Catherine's is 'dining at it's BEST.' (Philadelphia Inquirer) Chef Kevin McMunn's "Wild Mushroom & Lump Crab Soup is EXQUISITE." - Craig Laban. Catherine's is one of the Delaware Valley's top BYOB's and has earned many accolades over the past decade. They are rated EXCELLENT by Zagat. Chef Kevin McMunn and his partner & wife Marybeth Brown are an exceptional team that pay homage to Brown's grandmother, Catherine, with their warm and welcoming hospitality and unbelievably delicious food! The gorgeous dining room is lit entirely by candles - over 125 - which adds to the special touch of mini flashlights which come with every menu. Catherine's has recently added Lunch and weekend Brunch to their dining hours. The Blueberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are the perfect way to end the weekend!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Catherine's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Catherine's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (92)neighborhood gem (90)great for outdoor dining (87)special occasion (83)romantic (70)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (29)good for groups (16)scenic view (5)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great food & servicelucoopDined on 10/18/2014Love Catherine's restaurant for the occasional night out with my husband. The service is always excellent. Our waitress (whom we've had before in the past) is warm, friendly, attentive, & goes out of her way to accommodate any special requests. She helped to make our dining experience terrific! The food was delicious, too. I can't get enough of the bread & tomato jam the bring out before our meal...Delicious. My husband had the special - red snapper with french risotto. OMG! I ate quite a bit of his meal it was so good! My dish was a pasta & shrimp, which was quite good but not like the snapper & risotto. Oh, & you have to try the mushroom soup. It's the best soup!Special Features:
- First visit to Catherine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This was our first visit to Catherine's and the staff made us feel very welcomed and they were very friendly! My husband and I went there to celebrate our anniversary. Food was excellent! Service was great! Difficult to have a conversation because of the noise level. I do have to say, though, we are looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food at Catherine's is always exceptional and the presentation is beautifully done. Service is friendly and the servers are well informed. Cannot imagine that any diner would have anything but a positive experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant celebration!BobbyDined on 10/15/2014The quiet candle lit room was perfect for a celebration. The service was attentive but not over bearing. The food was wonderful well presented and wonderful combination of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EuropeanCoupleDined on 10/12/2014Catherine's is ideal for a leisurely lunch after visiting Longwood Gardens. The food is interesting but their tuna and their ravioli stand out. The service is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat PerformenceBoChangDined on 10/11/2014One frequents a restaurant for a number of reasons. Catherine's is a healthy 40 minute drive from home but every bit worth it. We like "BYOBs". The small but eclectic menu is always great, as are the specials. The mushroom crab soup and the blackened scallops are our favorite starters. As frequenters, the service staff is familiar with us and greets us each time we dine there. Service is always friendly, informative and most frequently, meets time expectations. I top off my dining experience and my waist line with what I think is the best key lime pie, not too sour, not cloyingly sweet. The setting is rustic and warm, however, the decibel level can get rather high. I gather Catherine's has a lot of repeat diners for both dinner and brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecorpinkblondeDined on 10/11/2014I loved the decor, very rustic and lots of candles.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningPA7TravelerVIPDined on 10/9/2014Catherine 's is a very special restaurant. We are never disappointed with the selections on the menu. Service is always good. Ambiance romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Country DelightjrtloverDined on 10/5/2014My family and I had brunch at Catherine's Restaurant recently. It's located in Chester County's hunt country in the town of Unionville (though it's address is Kennett Square).What a great experience it was!! As it is byob, we brought a bottle of champagne with us, and the staff brought out pitchers of orange and pomegranate juices. It's little touches like that make a great experience greater. The food was delicious!! We each had two courses, and everyone loved every bite-full! I should have said three courses because we all had dessert!! Of course, they were equally scrumptious!! The decor was both whimsical and appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as usualGregWestChesterPADined on 10/4/2014Great meal with very good, friendly service. The room was warm for an early October evening, and the noise level was a bit more than expected. But the food was excellent. Mushroom & crab soup is a must. As is the porcini stuffed agnolotti with braised short ribs. Not only was it one of the best dishes I've had in recent memory, but it was a good portion too...as were all the meals at our table. You want to eat here. Remember to bring your wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad noise level on Saturday nightKSMSDined on 10/4/2014We have eaten here previously on a weeknight and it was perfectly delightful. However, our dinner last Saturday was ruined by an absurdly high noise level. It was so loud that our server could not hear us place our orders for dinner. We had difficulty hearing the person sitting across the table from us when they spoke. We will never eat here again on a weekend. A dinner out should include, besides good food, good conversation. That is hard to achieve when you cannot hear normal volumes of conversational speech.
- Excellent!Riceky60Dined on 10/2/2014Very good food, well presented, in this family run place. More than just convenient if you are visiting the Brandywine Valley, this is an excellent spot to have a reasonably priced meal (not cheap, but not expensive either). Be sure to bring your own wine - they have no license.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 10/2/2014We had another fine meal at one of our Chester County favorites. This time, we had the sea scallops and crab cakes with tasty salads before hand. Everything was top-notch, including Susan's service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful anniversary dinnerltd58VIPDined on 10/1/2014We had a wonderful anniversary dinner. We both had great appetizers, a goat cheese salad and blackened scallops. Both of our entrees were out of this world, scallops with Paparadelle Noodles, asparagus, caramelized ginger & lemon basil and Blackened Tuna Steak fire roasted poblanos & smoky paprika cream. Such a delicious meal. For dessert we had a wonderful key lime pie and our waitress made a double dessert with apple raspberry pie and the delicious pumping bread pudding. Our waitress Susan was an awesome waitress. Would highly recommend coming to this nice restaurant that is in a rural setting.Special Features:
- papaDined on 9/28/2014Have been patronizing for years. Always consistently a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Awesome FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014Outstanding service, great food and unique atmosphere. The only thing I can say is this place is fabulous!Special Features:
- Lovely courtyard dining experienceBonAppetitDined on 9/28/2014Probably the best bacon, egg and home fries for Sunday brunch I think I've ever hard. When the temperature is right you can add to the experience by eating outside in the beautiful private courtyard behind the main antique building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014We have been there before and will go back again. We have had the same server each time and she again was wonderful. Food was again fantastic. Would recommend this restaurant to any of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTriumphDined on 9/24/2014Great dining experience. The ambiance is very romantic & relaxing. The food from apps to desert was not disappointing. Service was excellent, too. The only problem was a large table came in & they were very loud. The put them at a large table by the kitchen, but that really did not help. Don't really know what they could do about that, maybe some type of wall tapestry to help deaden the sound.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best in Chester CountyScottyDined on 9/24/2014Catherine's is one of our favorite restaurants in Chester County, PA. We go there on special occasions, like our wedding anniversary. The mushroom and crab soup is outstanding, about our favorite soup ever. It is BYOB and you will want to bring your best wine to go with the best dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 9/20/2014Had dinner outside on a nice Saturday evening and, even though the restaurant was busy, the service was great as was the food. Catherine's mushroom and crab soup is always a treat and our short ribs agnolotti and scallop entrees were beautifully prepared and delicious. We split a tasty peach cobbler for dessert. Great meal!Special Features:
- DisappointedDiner1Dined on 9/20/2014Not as good as usual. For the price of the entree special, I expected more. Had pan roasted red snapper with lump crab meat. Lacked seasoning and green beans were a bit tough. Had reservations at 6:30 for our anniversary and we were out by 8:00, felt like we were "hurried" along. Lastly I think a $7.00 corkage fee is a bit high. Overall, Catherine's is lacking the appeal it used to have. May be time to find a new "to go".I would recommend this to a friend.
- romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014We have been to Catherine's before but save it for special occasions. The food is excellent but our favorite part is the ambiance and decor. Beautiful restaurant in the evenings with warm candle light and twinkling reflections. Fabulous decadent chipolte chocolate flourless cake!Special Features:
- surpriseddivagmomDined on 9/19/2014Picked by random as we planned a drive through the area. Loved our lunch and the setting. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- A nice evening with familycweaterVIPDined on 9/18/2014We enjoyed our meal at Catherine's Restaurant. I appreciated greatly their efforts to accommodate our food allergy needs. The outdoor dining was intimate and relaxing. The service was friendly, personable, and competent. The mushroom/crab soup was outstanding!! - should not be missed!!! Those who ate the Scallop dishes ( both the special and the regular menu) enjoyed them and the filet mignon was tender and flavorable. The jumbo shrimp, while large, was tough and not particularly tasty. For those not from the area, the restaurant is in UNIONVILLE not Kennett Square. Also BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014It was amazing. Brought my NYC parents here and they could not have been any more impressed. The mushroom soup was good but good God the Goat Cheese Ravioli with scallops was something you wanted to bathe in!!!! The steak was very good. Cooked perfectly with the lightest mashed potatoes I have ever eaten. BUT the Braised Short Ribs, Agnolotti Pasta Porcini Mushrooms, Madiera Cream Sauce was like nothing I have ever put in my mouth!!!!! Best thing was, it was a BYOB so the bill cam to about $52 a person. In NYC it would have benn$102 a person. Will be back ASAP. Maybe this time for brunch!!!!!
- Unique Dining ExperienceOpenTableDinerDined on 9/14/2014The historic home is beautifully decorated and interesting inside and out. The menu is creative and the service is excellent. We went for Sunday brunch and it was a loud and noisy place. Food presentation was pretty but not as tasty as expected. Overall, we were disappointed but will try again some time in the future.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We’ve eaten here three times and the food and service have been great all three times.Special Features:
- Great, as alwaysBurtDined on 9/13/2014Varied menu, good specials that were reasonably priced, everything perfectly prepared and served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!JDGroveDined on 9/13/2014My wife were at Catherine's for our 2nd anniversary. The service was on-point. Was never late, and was never rushed. The food was delicious- and cooked to order. Very nice atmosphere. A very pleasant experience!Special Features:
- Unfriendly to food allergiesdairyfree125Dined on 9/12/2014The seafood entrees included some form of dairy product in the topping or sauce. When I asked the server if the chef could either leave off or change the sauce on any of them, she said no. She did offer the scallop appetizer as an alternative, but never asked the chef what he could do and had an impatient attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WHAT A GEMruthieDined on 9/12/2014We decided to try this restaurant during Brandywine Valley Restaurant Week. From Wilmington the daylight drive on Rt 52 and Rt 1 was lovely. The parking lot in the back gave a view of a wild and lovely garden followed by a patio with comfortable tables and chair benches. Our service was immediate, enthusiastic and well informed. Now to the food: they are famous for their wild mushroom lump crab soup--a large serving filled with lumps of crab and various wild mushrooms. It was spectacular. The bread with a pesto spread was great with the soup. We both got sea scallops with a lemon arugala pestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Local RestaurantTILMDined on 9/11/2014Great food, nice atmosphere. Little loud for those who can not hear well. If it had been a nicer evening we would have eaten on the patio. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Great special occasion.CRPSLGDined on 9/11/2014We wanted a special place to celebrate our 43 anniversary. Catherine's turned out to be that place. The atmosphere is warm and the service was wonderful. They were attentive, friendly and almost seemed to anticipate your every need. The food was exquisite. From the starter of mushroom and crab soup, to the filet mignon to the desert sampler, all delectable, at the correct temp, and in a timely manner. At no point were we rushed. The deserts are made on premise by their own pastry chef (who is a gem). This is a BYOB restaurant and they are very accommodating with wine glasses pre-set on the table. I'd recommend this restaurant to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Outstanding!DaveDined on 9/10/2014Catherine's has been outstanding on each occasion we have visited. The food and service are always great and the wine is whatever you bring. I only wish they had larger tables for groups rather then pushing small rounds together.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 9/6/2014One of our real favorites in Chester County and the Philadelphia suburbs. The menu doesn't change a lot, but it doesn't have to, because we have not found anything that we haven't loved. The mushroom bisque with crab rivals any other soup anywhere. Service is always friendly. Our only quibble is the exit out of the lot which really needs some attention before someone blows a tire or damages an axle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catherine's Restaurant UnionvilleFood01Dined on 9/6/2014My family and I eat here at least once or twice a month. The food is amazing. Wonderful view, peaceful dining, exceptional service.Special Features:
- Great Small Town RestaurantRiceky60Dined on 9/5/2014Very good food. Interesting menu. Friendly service. Remember to bring your own wine.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, but noisyFritzDined on 9/5/2014We enjoyed it and found the food to be excellent, as was the service. If you want a quiet dark restaurant, this is not it. It's dark, alright, but very noisy as the dining room got to be 60 or 70 percent filled!Special Features:
- City dining in the burbsRosebud1128VIPDined on 8/29/2014This was our second time at Catherine's and we will return. Scrumptious food in a pleasant atmosphere; very interesting decor, can't help but smile at all the creative touches.Special Features: