Catharsis Restaurant + Lounge
1644 SW 8th Street
Miami, FL 33135Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Catharsis Restaurant + Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.catharsisrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3054792746
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 6:00 pm - 12:00
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: UP TO 100 PEOPLE ON THE RESTAURANT AND UP TO 300 ON SITES
- Entertainment: LIVE MUSIC ON FRIDAY AND SATURDAY - NO COVERS -
A word from Catharsis Restaurant + Lounge
A visit to Catharsis promises a delicious fusion of Latin cuisine, lively bar scene, great happy hour specials, and funky latin beats.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Catharsis Restaurant + Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelEnergetic
romantic (1)special occasion (1)neighborhood gem (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- good night overallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Nice little spot to listen to music and enjoy some private time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved loved lovedMilliegDined on 8/1/2014A great experience that I recommended to everyone. My husband and I want to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and SaltyfitfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Everything we tried was over salted and heavy. The live performer was too loud and the speakers had a few ear-piercing mic reverberations that took away from the overall experience.
- Totally embarrassed!OpenMindedDined on 5/23/2014Catharsis use to be one of my favorite "go to" restaurants when I was in Miami. This time I invited another couple to share the experience. Mind you we were one of the first tables filled for that evening. Waiter forgot to put in our appetizer order. They were out of the first two entrées that I selected. No short ribs or filet on a Friday night? When the food came out it was luke warm. We think they left the food sit while they were preparing and serving the appetizers. My friends were kind, they said that they had a great time even though it sucked (their words). Totally embarrassed.
- Dining in DarkJcgirlVIPDined on 4/11/2014Dining in dark experience was great. Romantic atmosphere. All dishes were superb. A MUST HAVE at this place is the Gorgonzola pear ravioli creamy pesto and their Araceli is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in the darkLalaDined on 3/27/2014Went for a romantic, blindfolded dinner. Had a great time! Super fun and exciting to try this without seeing them first. I defibitely recommend the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Una joyaRaDuVIPDined on 2/28/2014Si quieres ir a un lugar encantador en la Pequeña Habana, no dejes de probar Catharsis, voy al menos una vez al mes, los viernes y sábados el ritmo, la melodía y el talento de Alma, harán la combinaciòn perfecta para la noche especial que te habías propuesto tener. La comida es excelente, la atenciòn es profesional y detallada. En fin, es una joya en nuestra ciudad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKluv2TravelDined on 2/7/2014Service was the best party. Expected better ambiance instead crowd was bit oldish. Music good but just too loud. Food was not bad.
- Great appetizers and pastaMontyDined on 1/11/2014The empanadas, chorizo, and morcilla were excellent; on a previous visit, the tostones were also excellent. The lobster ravioli and the porcini ravioli were also both exceptional. We were there on a Saturday night, and the music -- a 3-piece group with a lead guitarrist, a flutist and drummer -- were also excellent and good for dancing, although the decibel level may have been a bit too high (they seemed to lower it somewhat when we suggested this). Prices were very reasonable, especially considering the quality of the food and the entertainment.Special Features:
- Good but way too LOUDlbmiaVIPDined on 12/27/2013We have been several times to this restaurant. 3 previous times they had a 3 piece all female band. They were great- latin music with a funkyness to it, the lead singer wonderful at engaging her audience. This time they had her and a male on vocals/bongos. They played latin and american music. Good but she didn't say much, not as engaging without her gals. Also, they played one set (we arrived at 8:30, left at 11) then music went to recorded. Previously (x 3 visits), we could talk and hear music, this time no way- yelling! Food some items better than others-very good- braised pork, ravoli, filet. ok- polenta (they changed this- used to be awesome. Desserts- sound and look better than they taste- ok to good. nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than Meets the EyeDagonDined on 12/21/2013The restaurant is pretty, the staff friendly and the music terrific. But there is less than meets the eye. The food was at best fair. The specialty of the house, short rib and polenta,was unacceptable. The short rib tasted as if it had been cooked in brine and the polenta was a sludge. The salmon was overcooked. The expresso machine was not working! This is not a place that I would recommend to friends or to which I would return.Special Features:
- A Cuban delightMosheDined on 11/30/2013I have visited Cuba and adore its food and music. Here, at Catharsis, one can enjoy both. The food was exceptional, and the live Cuban music was exciting. The owner personally attended to our service and helped make the night exceptional. Do not come on a Saturday night if you aren't interested in great food and a true Cuban party experience. Don't miss this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live band performance on theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2013Live band performance on the stage was loud and festive, people were dancing around the tables between courses, made for a fun date. Excellent sweetbreads, croquettes, risotto, and salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceCane0514VIPDined on 11/1/2013Just a plain awful experience. Was virtually ignored the whole time, did not seem to fit in with the crowd, including the wait staff. Service was atrocious. Almost had a bottle of liquor from the bar fall on. Glasses crashed everywhere. Then the band was obnoxiously testing it's equipment for 45 minutes. Then the feedback from the speakers almost blew out my eardrums. By that point, I just wanted the check. A shame as the food was not bad. Valet was $10 too whichever in that area is plain ridiculous.Special Features:
- Great Food but the Service? :-(kilikiliDined on 9/14/2013We had visited Catharsis a while back and the food still raves. My grilled Salmon on a bed of asparagus risotto was fabulous, although my wife's punkin risotto with scallops was not as tasty as mine. But the service was quite disappointing. We arrived early since we were attending a function later and didn't want to rush but to enjoy the experience. We ordered a bottle of proseco which arrived shortly after, no problems there. Ice bucket with bottle was placed against the wall which forced my wife to take the bottle out to refill our flutes during the whole meal. The place was empty; no reason for the service folks not to come by and refill. And they kept fiddling with the music sound, really loud then low and so it went.Special Features:
- THE BEST PLACE IN MIAMI!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2013Great food, super fun, amazing live music with a girls trio, insuperable service, best ambiance and great people!!!!!! will be our favorite place from now onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013The drinks were a sample. Very small and expensive. The food was bad and service slow do not go there.
- Argentinian Cuisine and Live BandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2013Try the Ossobucco and take in the Live Salsa Band ...this hot restaurant turns into a vibrant scene on Saturday nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place! Live music onVivthefoodieDined on 5/4/2013Great place! Live music on Saturdays, however, get there early because the place starts to die down after 11pm. Wish I could have enjoyed the live music longer. It was great!Special Features:
- Ease your tenson at Catharsis.profjoeVIPDined on 4/21/2013Catharsis is a fine example of fusion fare in Calle Ocho. Blending South American and Spain carnivore cuisines with robust sauces and good modest "latin" wines. Our maitre d'host gave us a taster of Tierras to welcome us; Good to see Juan Gill on their wine list. However, we wanted to experiment. We ordered the highlighted Muga Rioja (a Tempranillo (91 pts Parker). This ruby red is a fine pairing wine. A starter of home made chorizo with a dash of pimentos in the piquant sausage. The lamb shank osso bucco & my companion's pulled pork were superbly prepared and served. Each with a completely different rich sauce; the lamb risotto was "to die for". A Napoleon flan-with a sparkler to celebrate our annivesary topped a fine repast.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, full barlbmiaVIPDined on 3/30/2013Great atmosphere, full bar but small & cozy. Went on a Saturday night, they had a live band, 3 pce all women, latin music w/bluesy feel. Could easily talk at table & enjoy lively music. Service was terrific, and we were concerned since they had two very large parties. The food is very good-good, some things fantastic (polenta appetizer, I could have eaten 2 as my main course), the other salads- green salad and caprese salad-good nothing special. main courses 3 had the mixed seafood grill. very good- the scallops and shrimp. but the corvino and mussels were overdone. But with a little pesto, they were fine. The steak was good, nothing to rave about. The desserts- cheesecake excellent, crepes goodSpecial Features:
- Haven't had so much fun withVIPDinerVIPDined on 2/9/2013Haven't had so much fun with such great food and service in a long time! The gentlemen who waited on us was so personable, the food exquisite, and the ambience perfect. Any of their pasta or fish dishes are amazing. And make sure to finish your meal with one of their souffles...to die for!Special Features:
- The polenta is a must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/1/2013The polenta is a must try! Pear ravioli delicious dessert delicious great little nook overallSpecial Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/10/2012This place is amazing! If you haven't been here you must!Special Features:
- I had high hopes for Catharsis,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012I had high hopes for Catharsis, after reading some of the reviews. Our experience was ok, but I couldn't help but feel a little let down. I made a reservation for 10, and when we arrived, there were 8 people in my party. Another couple were the only other patrons in the restaurant, so I can't blame them being busy. We are seated, and there is a lot of running around from the ONLY waiter in the place back and forth from the kitchen area to our table. Our drink orders were wrong, and that whole process took about 30-40 minutes. Bad sign. We finally order our food, which was actually very good, only one person in our party had to get his churrasco re-done. I'm not sure I would recommend this place, though.Special Features:
- tooooooooooooooo loud musiciansOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012tooooooooooooooo loud musicians were great but way to loudSpecial Features:
- THE PEARL of MiamiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/18/2012Great Food. The portions are ok but who cares. We ate appetizers, salad, bread, dinner and dessert. I like to leave restaurants feeling good not feeling like I'm about to explode. The food was excellent. Everything we ate was over the top. What a GEM!!. It's a place to go with a group or a romantic dinner. On saturdays the all girl band is very good and if you want to take Abuela or Abuelito they would enjoy it. The price I found reasonable. The only con is the bar - they can do a little better if they served the drinks faster. But that was a minor set back but who's counting drinks anyway.Special Features:
- Perfect all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2012Came here to celebrate my Mom's birthday after finding excellent reviews on Yelp and was not disappointed. Highlights included the exceptionally attentive and friendly staff, the delicious food, and the divine live music being played in an intimate setting. The restaurant itself is small, but tables are full and keep turning with guests late into the night. Their cocktails were excellent and the waiter (owner?) even accommodated our request for a 'non-alcoholic cocktail that looked/tasted alcoholic.' It was just as good (sans alcohol, of course) as the other cocktails at the table and came in a martini glass rimmed with an orange and all! Overall, a lovely night to remember and a gem of a restaurant I would recommend to all.Special Features:
- Great GemttumaDined on 7/27/2012The place is a little gem on a busy neighborhood. It's a surprise to find such an elaborate menu and a friendly staff. Good food for the priceSpecial Features:
- The location of restaurantSeasonsFanDined on 7/25/2012The location of restaurant was great but they seem to not have staff to attend the customers. Only one person does most of the work which involves taking your order, deliver the food (for most of the time) and deliver the bill. It took too long to at least ask for something to drink. The food was fantastic and very good price. Wish they would improve in service.Special Features:
- Dont know much about the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/15/2012Dont know much about the restaurant. We got there at 6pm and were the only ones there. One other group got there in the meantime. We ordered drinks and were told that we could not get any hard liquor as the bar belonged to someone else, and that person was not there. The waiter told us this, and we could not believe it. When we looked over at the bar he added that he was the waiter and the alcohol did not belong to him so he couldnt touch it. He went on to state that they just started opening on Sundays and dont have the bar service for it. Needless to say we go up and left.
- We went to Catharsis on aMontyDined on 7/6/2012We went to Catharsis on a Friday night knowing there would be music, and in fact the music (Cuban) was excellent. Therefore the real rating for Noise should be "Not Applicable." The quality of the food was very good, especially the fried plantains (tostones) as an appetizer. The rack of lamb was good and the beef short rib over polenta was excellent. Would recommend it highly for those who enjoy Cuban music.
- Good food. I found it to beOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2012Good food. I found it to be a little pricey with small portionsSpecial Features:
- Great service from the owner,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2012Great service from the owner, who literally was waiting on all of the tables in the restaurant. The truffle pasta is amazing...worth all of the other reviews. Great house-made hot bread basket, amazing Buratta starter. Ambience of an upscale neighborhood bistro that you would find in northern cities or in Europe. We will be back for more!
- The appetizers were excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2012The appetizers were excellent. I loved the Polenta cream with Bolognese and mozarella. The Tuna tartare was delicious. The Dulce de Leche Souffle was a great close and the wine + cocktails were a great hit for us. We had a very pleasant time, the live music was fantastic. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012Went to Catharsis for my birthday dinner and it was amazing! Everything from the appetizers to the desserts was fantastic! We had the short ribs and the pear and gorgonzola ravioli. Both were delicious. Can't wait to go back and try other things on the menu.Special Features:
- I have only have one comment:VIPDinerVIPDined on 5/19/2012I have only have one comment: if they ever stop making the delectable truffle pasta, I will not be happy! That is my number #1 dish---keep up the good work !Special Features:
- This is my second dining experienceElenaDined on 5/13/2012This is my second dining experience at this restaurant. It is consistent. The food is delicious and the service is excellent. But...it's SO freezing cold that one cant wait To Finish eating and just leave. I shivered the entire time because although they were accommodating when I asked them to fix the A/C because it was blowing right on me and I was cold, it would turn back on automatically within minutes. I wouldn't go back there until they do something about their air conditioning. It felt like we were dining inside a storage freezer.Special Features:
- The food was wonderful, asOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012The food was wonderful, as was the staff. I went when no one was there, though, so I cannot speak to the "vibe" the restaurant normally has during a busy night. I will definately return to the restaurant on a night when I can experience the live music and energy I read in the other reviews. This place is a little gem. I had the pear ravioli and loved it. It was not too sweet for me. And the flan napolitano was out of this world. The tostones appitizers were also delicious.
- The service was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012The service was extremely slow. The food was really mediocre. the "corvina" was not good. It was very low quality fish. I will never go back again.