Catch Restaurant Upstairs
100 8th Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 0K7Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Catch Restaurant Upstairs
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catchrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4032060000x1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Our private Red Wine Room is also available for all day meetings. Please contact Shay-lynn Miller for more information. email@example.com
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kyle Groves
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Red Wine Room can accommodate up to 16 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ian Blaney 4032060000
- Special Events: Catch Restaurant & Oyster Bar has three venues to choose from for your special event. Main floor, White Wine Room, second floor Red Wine Room, Atrium space on third floor. Let Shay-lynn and Chef Kyle design the perfect event for you!
- Cross Street: Centre Street
- Public Transit: 1 block south of the C train platform. There are always ample taxi cabs available on Centre street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking available at the Telus Convention Centre, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Palliser square and above ground corner of Centre Street and 7th Avenue. Diners who park in the Hyatt Regency Hotel parking lot can have their parking validated after dining in the Catch dining room.
A word from Catch Restaurant Upstairs
Upscale second floor Restaurant. Four diamond award winner with an innovative menu designed by Executive Chef Kyle Groves, and an interactive wine guide.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Catch Restaurant Upstairs - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Catch Restaurant Upstairs reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)fit for foodies (36)notable wine list (34)romantic (33)good for groups (11)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great food, slower serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/30/2014We had the seafood tower, which was awesome, although we waited a long time to be greeted at the door, and then we had to change tables, and then waiting quite a while to put our order in. The food was fantasticSpecial Features:
- So-so foodLovefoodandwineDined on 8/23/2014Had the tuna appetizer, was pretty bland, needed a sauce. Got the scallops (without beef tongue) they were cooked perfectly but it needed more vegetables or more of a side dish especially for the price. My husband and I both said we wouldn't go back but glad we tried. Friends with us enjoyed their fish.Special Features:
- AiexDined on 8/15/2014The wine was spectacular and the oysters were very nice, though the pricing was high for the value. A good place to go on company dime but I would not pay for it again myself.Special Features:
- What a catchFoodgeekDined on 8/14/2014Was in the mood for seafood while traveling through Calgary and had dinner with a friend at catch. Service was great, food was incredible, really nice atmosphere nice artwork on the wall. Not overly noisy, easy to have conversation. Hope to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backMWandcoDined on 8/12/2014We had a very good experience at Catch Upstairs for dinner on a Tues night. We started with a dozen oysters and the waiter suggested a selection of 3 different types and then explained where each was from and their characteristics once the plate arrived. All were excellent! We then shared a pasta appetizer which was cooked perfectly and had fresh garden peas as part of the topping. Delicious. Mains of fish (I had the special, my husband had the snapper) both well prepared and cooked perfectly. Nice sized portions too - not too big but more than enough. We were persuaded to have dessert as we saw another table sharing the creme brûlée so had to have it. Very tasty and a good size for sharing. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bellyupcatDined on 7/29/2014A business associate is going to retire and we treat her there. Quite environment with very professional waiter, excellent place for chatting. Blacken ling cod was excellent. Oysters were fresh and tasty as usual. Not cheap but worth every cents.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A memorable dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014An excellent dining experience. My boyfriend and I started the evening with Negroni cocktails, a dozen oysters (the orange and champagne mignonette was divine) and crab cakes, all of which were wonderfully prepared and beautifully presented. For our entree, we both ordered the naked lobster which was also superb. We also ordered the Crémant d’Alsace which was the perfect accompaniment for the lobster. The decor was elegant and the service impeccable. We would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Great Service!WCRCDined on 7/23/2014Waiter Conrad was very accommodating to our group. Great service! Food was delicious - portion sizes small. Great tasting seafood for a Prairie seafood place. Everything was fresh tasting.Special Features:
- FantasticFoodreviewDined on 7/19/2014From appetizer to dessert, amazing food. My tuna was perfectly seared. Practically melted in my mouth. Server was professional and knowledgeable without being intrusive. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and great location1969CamaroDined on 7/8/2014The food quality was excellent and the feature appetizer was fantastic several other tables ordered and reordered more the Tempura Shrimp. The Clam and Mussel pot was fresh and full of flavour. Seemed like everything on the menu would be a great choice. The fresh oyster bar looked amazing but will have to make that the second trip!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the Seafood LoverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Came here for a birthday dinner with my girlfriend. This place was recommended to me by a friend and did not disappoint. Great for an upscale seafood meal. Highly recommended. Service was excellent. We shared the crab cake (absolutely worth getting!) and my Arctic Char was great with its butternut squash. My girlfriend enjoyed the Bass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/12/2014The small seafood tower was shared by everyone at the table and offered a variety of chilled shellfish (lobster, crabs legs, mussels, oysters, clams.... Delicious. The naked lobster main course made the meal though. Pricy but well worth the treat. A sufficient amount of perfectly cooked lobster - and no shell to deal with! Served with the tastiest sweet corn (flavored with tarragon) I have ever eaten and a very interesting fennel tart tatin. Delicious. The creme brûlée and the chocolate pistachio and apricot composition finished the meal perfectly. Great service from Glen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good seafood in Calgary?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014I've lived in Nova Scotia and I went to school in Vancouver, so I am pernickety when it comes to seafood. The Catch doesn't disappoint: for quality and freshness they are one of Calgary's best and I have always had great food there - even their lamb is very good if there is a non-seafood lover in the group. The raw oysters were fresh, not too large, and the sauces well paired. The service was quick and courteous; the Catch remains one of my favourite spots to dine well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal food and serviceCHYLVIPDined on 5/30/2014Catch came highly recommended by friends and it did not disappoint. We went there to celebrate a birthday and we got top-notch service and food. The staff went out of their way to make the evening special for us. The food was meticulously prepared so that the tastes and textures complement each other perfectly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/26/2014My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at The Catch celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary. We had the crab cake and humpback shrimp appetizers and my wife really enjoyed the naked lobster while I had the daily special of sturgeon. The service provided by our waiter Glenn was exceptional. Glenn was very friendly but not too instrusive and seemed to know exactly what we wanted to make our first experience at the Catch the best ever.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic!KristieDined on 5/23/2014Our food was fantastic and the waiter was great. He was very friendly and accommodating. The prices are quite high for everyday dinning but great for really special occasions. The restaurant itself was beautiful but you either had to walk 3 flights of stairs down or 4 flights up for a washroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster should be broiled/steamedThePyesDined on 5/16/2014My wife and I had the naked lobster, which is pre shelled whole lobster. Just claws and tail though. I found the presentation visually pleasing, but the lobster wasn't cooked as I prefer lobster. This lobster was much like a poached egg, the meat was tender but the texture more like raw oysters and a bit watery. I'm guessing the lobster was partially cooked ahead of time and then quickly heated in boiling water before serving. This was my first visit to this restaurant, so I will not write it off my list of downtown dinner spots. Next time, no Lobster. Free Parking is a plus!Special Features:
- Forgot how good it is...groupof4Dined on 5/14/2014Honestly we avoided Catch for a while, remembering it as expensive. It is... but not as outrageous as remembered... the food was excellent... service great... we were early in the evening so the empty restaurant may have contributed to the timely and attentive service.Special Features:
- The following 540 reviews are from the Catch Restaurant Upstairs reviews archive.
- SuprisiedFoodieDined on 5/3/2014Over priced for the quality of the food !The food was very blan , the portions were a great size, survice was comparable to a moxies ect . I would not go back.Special Features:
- Tomato deliciousness!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/3/2014My favourite was the tomato appetizer; I forget what they called it, but it was tomatoes done 5 ways as an appetizer and it was incredible. :o)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey forrddinerDined on 5/2/2014Interesting menu, fish was excellent, some of the sides were just ok. Appetizer partly frozen. For the price, it was not what was expected. Waiters were very attentive.Special Features:
- I feel appreciated here.PoppaWheelieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Once again it was a delight to dine with clients at the Catch. The kitchen brought their A game and the flavours showed that. The service was warm and inviting and our special request was handled graciously. The excellent wine selection took things to a high point as everyone enjoyed a memorable meal. We were all impressed. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014We went on a Saturday evening. Our table was ready but a more desirable was a few minutes away so they asked us to wait but served us complimentary champaigne. Dinner was great starting with the oysters followed by the lobster. Since we are not big desert eaters, we didn't bother ordering any, but before the bill came we were served up with small piece of cake just to top it off. We'll definitely be going back,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting seafoodSaltandPepperDined on 4/26/2014Came to Catch for great seafood and it did didn't disappoint. Fantastic seafood tower as appetiser with two types of oysters, snow crab legs, half lobster, mussels, clams and shrimps. All delicious - a lot of seafood. Would definatley recommend this dish. I would suggest to Catch that they provide a finger bowl because your hands get very sticky - we had to go to the washrooms to clean up. We both had the Atlantic black bass for our mains as recommended by our server. The fish was cooked and seasoned perfectly - delicious yet again. And finally dessert - hazelnut Creme brûlée and crispy chocolate mousse. Yum! Overall a great experience and would definatley return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Food was not served hot (i.e. was lukewarm), salmon smelled and tasted fishy, shrimp in ceviche dish were tiny, limp and scarce, waitress interrupted conversations at our table 2 or 3 times without even saying excuse me first. My wife and I had been to Catch around 5 years ago and it was fabulous then. Now, what a disaster.
- Giant PrawnsChareasterDined on 4/10/2014The Prawns were delish and my friend loved her Halibut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good CATCH!DeannaDined on 4/5/2014What an excellent little find! Buried Treasure! We totally enjoyed the ambience. We snuck in the back door and - having made reservations - were shown to our 'booth' right away. Greeted right away by our waiter, and were presented with a glass of champagne and a smile with well wishes to mark the celebration. We felt very special. The manager also came to our table and wished us well, and made suggestions for our entrees. I am gluten free, and the menu was outstanding, with the chef being most amenable to making some substitutions. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening, our waiter Dean was very attentive. We both left with a feeling of having had a special evening indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but not the best downtownCorinneDined on 3/28/2014Good food but not amazing. Waited a long time for the meal to come out even though we were in before the rush.Special Features:
- Not as good as anticipatedToughCriticDined on 3/22/2014My tenderloin from the beef duo was perfect but the short rib was dry. I've had better short ribs at the Cactus Club. My husbands article char was also over done. Service was excellent, however.
- ImpressedTwinsby2Dined on 3/21/2014It has been a number of years since dining at the Catch. We were impressed with the menu and especially the service. We will come again...Special Features:
- Just Lovely...LvtoEatDined on 3/20/2014The whole meal was amazing, the appetizers, main course, wine, dessert.....do I need to say more.... Yes, go downtown and have an amazing meal at 'The Catch' worth every penny....Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014I have to say that waiter Glen makes your dinning experience above all expectations Food was superb and Glens choice of wine was perfect Beter service can not be found anywhereSpecial Features:
- Gourmet seafood with a slow food chOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Seafood is the source of course, but the chef and his staff truly knows their way around a kitchen. Sourced with various culinary delicacies, Catch is a true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful experience at CatchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I went to Catch for their "big taste" menu this past weekend. Not only was the food really top notch, but the service was impeccable. Because of food intolerance, we had some difficulty with a couple of dishes on the menu. Rather than simply saying we couldn't have that menu (which has occasionally been the cast at other establishments), the wait staff and kitchen were incredibly accommodating in making substitutions for us. As a result we had a wonderful experience, and a terrific dinner. Add the lovely ambiance of the space in this sandstone heritage building, and you have a must-do dining experience! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and serviceFoodieNewToCalgaryDined on 3/13/2014Recently moved to Calgary and haven't fancied the food yet (wasn't a fan of Catch, Blink, Una, which I know are three big favourites here). Though the scallop soup was fantastic, the cod and casouellete lacked flavour. The duck ravioli, which was introduced as the restaurant's best appetizer, was okay. Great service and atmosphere, but not the burst of complex flavours I enjoy.
- mmmmmmmmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/13/2014My husband and I had a very nice dining experience at Catch for the Big Taste; the five courses were a soba noodle salad- nice fresh taste, celeriac chowder- exquisitely smooth and lovely, braised duck ravioli- different but good, ling cod with herbs on cassoulet- very nicely done, and dessert which included brownie cakes and brown sugar ice cream- to die for!! Our servers were spot on...thank you Catch!Special Features:
- Food was fantastic, serviceAnnaVeeDined on 3/1/2014Food was fantastic, service was awesome. Great wine. Seafood was fresh and flavourful, desserts were creative and delicious. Portions were civilized for an elegant meal. You can have an appetizer, main & dessert, and still be comfortable. We were a group of 4, celebrating a birthday. Highly recommend Catch for seafood lovers and those celebrating special occasions.Special Features:
- great foodlanaDined on 3/1/2014Great Food! great romantic atmosphere, highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!!ParksyKCCODined on 2/26/2014Great service, amazing food, great decor, I'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedTimewarpVIPDined on 2/18/2014The quality of food does not match price! One medium sized crab cake for $18, that's outrageous! Will not be going back. Not enough variety on menu.Special Features: