Catch Oyster Bar
100 8th Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2C 0K4Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Catch Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.catchrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4032060000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Catch Oyster Bar offers a tasty snack menu in the afternoon. Stop by for a glass of wine and some oysters!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kyle Groves
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our White Wine Room can hold up to 40 guests. Let us personalized your dining experience! Birthdays, celebrations, corporate events, call us to book your party!
- Private Party Contact: Ian Blaney 4032060000x
- Entertainment: Join us at the bar and watch the talented culinary crew shuck oysters faster than anyone in the city! Sample our fine selection of the very best oysters, or bring a group of friends to help you enjoy a triple tower of power!!
- Special Events: Our White Wine room is a perfect gathering space for a cocktail party, special dinner or a cozy spot for lunch. Visit our website for more information.
A word from Catch Oyster Bar
Catch Oyster Bar is a lively San Francisco style restaurant, serving fresh oysters, shell fish and jet fresh fish. Catch is proud to participate in Oceanwise, which is a program supporting sustainable seafood. By looking for the Ocean Wise symbol beside menu items, you can be assured that you are making the right choice for our oceans. The Chefs at Catch search out some of the best organic and sustainable suppliers to create local, seasonal dishes that will please everyone's palate.Continued
Where Award winner of Ocean Wise stewardship 2009!
Where Award winner of Ocean Wise stewardship 2009!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Catch Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (41)great for lunch (35)notable wine list (33)good for groups (24)romantic (20)hot spot (19)great for outdoor dining (17)neighborhood gem (15)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- 28 and countingDinersnoteatersDined on 10/25/2014My wife and I went to Catch for our 28th anniversary and it was fantastic. Service was excellent, food was way beyond good. All in all a great evening.Special Features:
- four2eatDined on 10/24/2014Another very pleasant dining experience though food very slow to arrive at table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catch is a Catch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The Catfish was on special and it was amazing! Please make this a regular menu item!! Peel and eat shrimp, and salad and the artic char were all excellent as well. Service was excellent, and the place was a fun atmosphere with lots of energy.Special Features:
- Relaxed, friendly and enjoyableJeancDined on 10/24/2014It was our first time for lunch to entertain friends from out of town. The menu is simple but offer many tastes and all the entrees had vegetables adapted to the fish. I enjoyed the trout with leeks and root vegetables and my partner's salad with large shrimps was outstanding. The service was fast and the wine list quite suitable at a decent price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice eveningSheppieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Service and food was very good. The scallops and pumpkin gnocchi was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FuddDined on 10/11/2014We have been customers of Catch Upstairs for years, and have occasionally visited the Oyster Bar. We chose to eat off the appetizer Menu. Other than the peel and eat shrimp the balance was no better than second rate bar food! Bottom line, it will be a long time before we will even think to return.
- A bit disappointingWillisDined on 10/11/2014This was my second time at Catch. The first time the food was very good. This time, I ordered the same dish because I liked it a lot the first time, and was dissapointed that the mussels and clams were not properly cleaned and full of sand/grit. The server was very apologetic and understanding and ended up giving us a free drink. Overall we were happy with our evening there, the second order was better, but it was a bit of a let down after looking forward to it.
- L8T2showDined on 10/11/2014Food was fair and the selection for a seafood restaurant was very limited. We indicated that we had theatre tickets when we arrived and the waitress was still very slow with our order. The food arrived very late so we had time only for a few bites before having to pack it all up to make our show. She was pleasant but had no sense of urgency at all. This restaurant used to be better. Now it's not worth the price.Special Features:
- Very averageDisappointedDined on 10/10/2014Had lunch here with friends. Crab cakes too salty to enjoy. Sent half back with comment. Charged anyways. Chowder was average. Wines pricey for small (5 oz) pours. So many great spots downtown to try out. Nothing special at Catch.Special Features:
- Good Find!TexasToddVIPDined on 10/9/2014My coworker and I both liked their wine selection and their oysters. I'll definitely be back for more oysters1Special Features:
- Most enjoyableGr8tDined on 10/7/2014Everything was great. From friendly service. Prompt arrival of food and of course tasty and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealLisaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Catch has consistently good food and service. It was quite a busy Saturday evening, but everything was good. We eat at Catch regularly and are never disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Tower but hostess hostilezbest10Dined on 10/4/2014Special occasion at catch oyster bar this saturday and seafood tower was among most amazing food ever. However, young hostess had worst customer service skills ever. She gave us an unfriendly frown at check-in then took us to the back of the restaurant despite open unreserved tables closer to the action. We we asked about moving up she said -no, all the booths booked. We asked just for a plain table closer to the front. She rolled her eyes and sighed. We asked if this was too much trouble to move us - she thought about it and said no it was not & then proceeded to take us to another table, dumped the menus with frown and then made a point of not making eye contact again. Food and waitress made up for it and it was still great.Special Features:
- AmazingPiphi118VIPDined on 10/2/2014Catch is the best restaurant in Calgary! I'm so lucky I get to dine there frequently. Great menus and a great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Best seafood restaurant in CalgarySabrinaDined on 10/2/2014Never fails to delight me. They know how to cook fish. Today I had the trout and it was delicious, moist, nicely spiced, and perfectly cooked.Yummy. Also, great oyster selection.Special Features:
- ChrisBaymanDined on 9/25/2014Seafood tower was well cooked but a few items were seasoned with mustard seeds which masked the flavour of the seafood ... Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. I ordered a second glass of wine which never arrived (and did not show up on bill). Hot towels for clean-up, after this hands on selection, would be a suggestion. I will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodPerogyPrinceDined on 9/25/2014The steamer mussel/clam combo was outstanding. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentableuserVIPDined on 9/24/2014The Oyster Bar is always fantastic. They have a great fresh oyster selection and really know how to cook fish. Loved the trout! Our server also told us about their new program BuyCatch where you can purchase quality fresh fish and take it home to cook. We brought home some of their Clam Chowder (which was delish!) and will be ordering salmon for this weekend.Special Features:
- Oysters Rockefeller - Oh My!AstroHikerDined on 9/22/2014I'm not a big fish or seafood eater but am trying to step outside my comfort zone, so decided to give Catch a try. The Oysters Rockefeller were recommended by a friend. I had never had them before and was truly amazed. They are sooooo good. We actually did two orders - O.R. and one Raw - sharing the two orders between us. They were both great. For dinner we had the arctic char which came with a wonderful assortment of root vegetables. In fact, we commented to the server that there was no starch in the dish, for which she apologized. We let her know that we meant it as a complement. We are not big starch eaters and will take veges over carbs any time. Also, a great server made sure we made it to our show on time.Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014They were super busy but very attentive and apologetic for a delay in our main course which totally made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never quite a "5"dclintDined on 9/20/2014Another very good meal at the Catch...not amazing. Service was good, pleasant; few time-gaps understandable given full house. Mussels were spectacular, oysters good, especially given our distance from the water! Crab legs were over-cooked and stringy, but other mains were all good. The bar could be better. Bellinis were poorly presented, especially for the price - They looked like any old glass of juice - Plain glass, ice cubes, no garnish. Bar could also be better stocked. Just two kinds of rum, both basics (Captain Morgan Spiced - Ugh). I don't expect an huge selection of premium liquors, but given style/price of the place, I'd expect a broadly stocked bar with several choices including perhaps one high-end option in each category.
- Im a fan!TronDined on 9/9/2014Oysters have become a favourite of mine now, absolutely deliciousSpecial Features:
- A Little too Eclectic for meBkerea66Dined on 8/26/2014This was my second time eating at The Catch....upstairs mind you...and always a bit confusing when making reservations. The menu is very limited and the entree's are just a little too exotic for me I guess. My co-workers really liked their food and mine was just okay. The corn accompaniment to the naked lobster was very good, the lobster was truly naked with not even any drawn butter provided. The pastry thing it came with was too sweet and did not compliment the rest of the entree at all. I will likely not return as there are so many other restaurants in Calgary to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Our server was amazing and had a great time can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor wine experience!!Wine101VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went to Catch for the first time in a long time. The tuna tartar was great, as were the oysters. The seared scallops were ok. The sorbet was disgusting, specifically the black cherry not a good consistency or flavour. The craziest part of the meal however was the wine. A lackluster list of overpriced options inappropriately served. Aside from breaking off the cork, we were served a wa Pinot Grigio. We asked to have it chilled but were told it was appropriate as is (not!!). Sure was not 48 degrees - I wouldn't drink reds at that temp! An ice bucket was finally added but the waiter swirled the bottle continually to "speed the chilling process". Rather than leaving it to chill he kept trying to serve large pours of warm wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyhappyDined on 8/15/2014Our server was helpful and unobtrusive, and the food was great. It was nice as a group that it wasn't noisy, so we could chat easily. It was expensive though. It would have been nice to have a cheaper bottle price for wine.Special Features:
- Great eveningJeancDined on 8/7/2014That Thursday evening, the restaurant was relatively busy and perhaps we could say that the service was perhaps a little slow but that suited our French guests very well. Their 2 children were accommodated and enjoyed their Moule-frite. Certainly a place to coma back to for wonderful seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love seafood...JandRDined on 8/1/2014Catch is your place! We have been to Catch numerous times. The food is phenomenal. The service is top notch. And they have a great selection of wines. Freshest seafood in town. And the own ton prawns are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood I've had in calgaryNeilMDined on 7/31/2014Had a great date night with my wife. Best oysters and mussels I've had since moving to the city. Server new her oysters and had some great mussels. The fries were great. Server was super really friendly and new her stuff. Recommended oysters beers and wine that all worked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio lunchGraceDined on 7/30/2014Great patio for people watching. The service and food were fantastic. It is a bit nosier with trucks and cars driving by, but that's part of the ambience. I had the salmon burger, it was moist and flavorful. My friends seemed to enjoy their meals too. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not such a good catchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2014Catch is good as seafood pub or roadhouse but it is not a restaurant destination. The music is too loud, the service is good and the servers are pleasant, the food is generally passable however the oysters were good. Overall it was OK and I would rate it a weak good and only give a qualified recommendation.
- mustgo2nightDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed the Oyster Bar on the patio. Pork Belly and scallops were outstanding as well as the Salmon cooked to perfection. Sever Lauren was outgoing and did an outstanding job upselling a bottle of Sancerre which was delicious as well as the Rhubard crumble for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Great food and service. Prices are on the high side, particularly the oysters which are close to 4$ a piece!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite 5 stars...qtpieDined on 7/23/2014Note, the clam chowder we ordered was too salty. Our server could have been a little more attentative. Request for some condiments came almost when all the food was consumed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- isemlicaDined on 7/19/2014The Oyster Bar lives up to its name with varieties fresh from both coasts. All were excellent - a real taste of the sea. We also had the mussels which were plentiful and well cooked. The sauce was not as flavourful as we would have liked but was more enjoyable with chunks of fresh bread dipped into it. The clam chowder had just the right creaminess but needed more clams and vegetables and it was missing a certain depth of clam flavour that we expected to find. We also split an order of fish & chips. Tasty, but not outstanding. We were at this restaurant for our 20th anniversary dinner looking for an exceptional seafood experience. While the overall experience was good, for the price of the food we would not rush back except for the oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentableuserVIPDined on 7/16/2014I love going to the Oyster Bar, it is my go to restaurant. The seafood is amazingly fresh for being landlocked in Alberta and the staff are fantastic. Patio time during the summer makes the Oyster Bar even better, Stephen Avenue is always entertaining while enjoying a glass of bubbles and Oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodJaucoinDined on 7/14/2014The food is amazing. Best seafood!!the first time we went we ate upstairs which has a more intimate vibe. Great for dates. Downstairs has more of a easy going feel. Great to take friends to enjoy some drinks and great good:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Great seafood, large variety of oysters and seafood options ranging from shell fish to freshly caught fish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Food was delicious though portions were somewhat on small side. Wine list was pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 760 reviews are from the Catch Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Simply delecious!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014The best seafood my family has ever had and the service matched that as well! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.