Catch Oyster Bar
100 8th Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2C 0K4Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Catch Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.catchrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4032060000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Catch Oyster Bar offers a tasty snack menu in the afternoon. Stop by for a glass of wine and some oysters!
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Kyle Groves
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our White Wine Room can hold up to 40 guests. Let us personalized your dining experience! Birthdays, celebrations, corporate events, call us to book your party!
- Private Party Contact: Ian Blaney 4032060000x
- Entertainment: Join us at the bar and watch the talented culinary crew shuck oysters faster than anyone in the city! Sample our fine selection of the very best oysters, or bring a group of friends to help you enjoy a triple tower of power!!
- Special Events: Our White Wine room is a perfect gathering space for a cocktail party, special dinner or a cozy spot for lunch. Visit our website for more information.
A word from Catch Oyster Bar
Catch Oyster Bar is a lively San Francisco style restaurant, serving fresh oysters, shell fish and jet fresh fish. Catch is proud to participate in Oceanwise, which is a program supporting sustainable seafood. By looking for the Ocean Wise symbol beside menu items, you can be assured that you are making the right choice for our oceans. The Chefs at Catch search out some of the best organic and sustainable suppliers to create local, seasonal dishes that will please everyone's palate.Continued
Where Award winner of Ocean Wise stewardship 2009!
Where Award winner of Ocean Wise stewardship 2009!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Catch Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)special occasion (33)great for lunch (29)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (19)romantic (18)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (12)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- ChrisBaymanDined on 9/25/2014Seafood tower was well cooked but a few items were seasoned with mustard seeds which masked the flavour of the seafood ... Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. I ordered a second glass of wine which never arrived (and did not show up on bill). Hot towels for clean-up, after this hands on selection, would be a suggestion. I will go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodPerogyPrinceDined on 9/25/2014The steamer mussel/clam combo was outstanding. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters Rockefeller - Oh My!AstroHikerDined on 9/22/2014I'm not a big fish or seafood eater but am trying to step outside my comfort zone, so decided to give Catch a try. The Oysters Rockefeller were recommended by a friend. I had never had them before and was truly amazed. They are sooooo good. We actually did two orders - O.R. and one Raw - sharing the two orders between us. They were both great. For dinner we had the arctic char which came with a wonderful assortment of root vegetables. In fact, we commented to the server that there was no starch in the dish, for which she apologized. We let her know that we meant it as a complement. We are not big starch eaters and will take veges over carbs any time. Also, a great server made sure we made it to our show on time.Special Features:
- Great staffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014They were super busy but very attentive and apologetic for a delay in our main course which totally made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never quite a "5"dclintDined on 9/20/2014Another very good meal at the Catch...not amazing. Service was good, pleasant; few time-gaps understandable given full house. Mussels were spectacular, oysters good, especially given our distance from the water! Crab legs were over-cooked and stringy, but other mains were all good. The bar could be better. Bellinis were poorly presented, especially for the price - They looked like any old glass of juice - Plain glass, ice cubes, no garnish. Bar could also be better stocked. Just two kinds of rum, both basics (Captain Morgan Spiced - Ugh). I don't expect an huge selection of premium liquors, but given style/price of the place, I'd expect a broadly stocked bar with several choices including perhaps one high-end option in each category.
- Im a fan!TronDined on 9/9/2014Oysters have become a favourite of mine now, absolutely deliciousSpecial Features:
- A Little too Eclectic for meBkerea66Dined on 8/26/2014This was my second time eating at The Catch....upstairs mind you...and always a bit confusing when making reservations. The menu is very limited and the entree's are just a little too exotic for me I guess. My co-workers really liked their food and mine was just okay. The corn accompaniment to the naked lobster was very good, the lobster was truly naked with not even any drawn butter provided. The pastry thing it came with was too sweet and did not compliment the rest of the entree at all. I will likely not return as there are so many other restaurants in Calgary to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Our server was amazing and had a great time can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor wine experience!!Wine101VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went to Catch for the first time in a long time. The tuna tartar was great, as were the oysters. The seared scallops were ok. The sorbet was disgusting, specifically the black cherry not a good consistency or flavour. The craziest part of the meal however was the wine. A lackluster list of overpriced options inappropriately served. Aside from breaking off the cork, we were served a wa Pinot Grigio. We asked to have it chilled but were told it was appropriate as is (not!!). Sure was not 48 degrees - I wouldn't drink reds at that temp! An ice bucket was finally added but the waiter swirled the bottle continually to "speed the chilling process". Rather than leaving it to chill he kept trying to serve large pours of warm wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyhappyDined on 8/15/2014Our server was helpful and unobtrusive, and the food was great. It was nice as a group that it wasn't noisy, so we could chat easily. It was expensive though. It would have been nice to have a cheaper bottle price for wine.Special Features:
- Great eveningJeancDined on 8/7/2014That Thursday evening, the restaurant was relatively busy and perhaps we could say that the service was perhaps a little slow but that suited our French guests very well. Their 2 children were accommodated and enjoyed their Moule-frite. Certainly a place to coma back to for wonderful seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love seafood...JandRDined on 8/1/2014Catch is your place! We have been to Catch numerous times. The food is phenomenal. The service is top notch. And they have a great selection of wines. Freshest seafood in town. And the own ton prawns are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best seafood I've had in calgaryNeilMDined on 7/31/2014Had a great date night with my wife. Best oysters and mussels I've had since moving to the city. Server new her oysters and had some great mussels. The fries were great. Server was super really friendly and new her stuff. Recommended oysters beers and wine that all worked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio lunchGraceDined on 7/30/2014Great patio for people watching. The service and food were fantastic. It is a bit nosier with trucks and cars driving by, but that's part of the ambience. I had the salmon burger, it was moist and flavorful. My friends seemed to enjoy their meals too. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not such a good catchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/29/2014Catch is good as seafood pub or roadhouse but it is not a restaurant destination. The music is too loud, the service is good and the servers are pleasant, the food is generally passable however the oysters were good. Overall it was OK and I would rate it a weak good and only give a qualified recommendation.
- mustgo2nightDined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed the Oyster Bar on the patio. Pork Belly and scallops were outstanding as well as the Salmon cooked to perfection. Sever Lauren was outgoing and did an outstanding job upselling a bottle of Sancerre which was delicious as well as the Rhubard crumble for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014Great food and service. Prices are on the high side, particularly the oysters which are close to 4$ a piece!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite 5 stars...qtpieDined on 7/23/2014Note, the clam chowder we ordered was too salty. Our server could have been a little more attentative. Request for some condiments came almost when all the food was consumed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- isemlicaDined on 7/19/2014The Oyster Bar lives up to its name with varieties fresh from both coasts. All were excellent - a real taste of the sea. We also had the mussels which were plentiful and well cooked. The sauce was not as flavourful as we would have liked but was more enjoyable with chunks of fresh bread dipped into it. The clam chowder had just the right creaminess but needed more clams and vegetables and it was missing a certain depth of clam flavour that we expected to find. We also split an order of fish & chips. Tasty, but not outstanding. We were at this restaurant for our 20th anniversary dinner looking for an exceptional seafood experience. While the overall experience was good, for the price of the food we would not rush back except for the oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentableuserVIPDined on 7/16/2014I love going to the Oyster Bar, it is my go to restaurant. The seafood is amazingly fresh for being landlocked in Alberta and the staff are fantastic. Patio time during the summer makes the Oyster Bar even better, Stephen Avenue is always entertaining while enjoying a glass of bubbles and Oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodJaucoinDined on 7/14/2014The food is amazing. Best seafood!!the first time we went we ate upstairs which has a more intimate vibe. Great for dates. Downstairs has more of a easy going feel. Great to take friends to enjoy some drinks and great good:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Great seafood, large variety of oysters and seafood options ranging from shell fish to freshly caught fish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/2/2014Food was delicious though portions were somewhat on small side. Wine list was pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply delecious!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014The best seafood my family has ever had and the service matched that as well! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/21/2014Our food was amazing, our service was as well. We went for my birthday and we will be back!! So pleased that we decided on this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningrobbierefDined on 6/13/2014The food and service was very good, we will be backSpecial Features:
- Catch lunch at the Catch!LoveFreshSeaFoodDined on 6/11/2014Enjoyed showing off our fair city to a special visitor. Lunch at the Catch was an obvious choice...and didn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is goodMCanadaVIPDined on 6/6/2014I ordered fish and chips, but was not too impressed. They were average. Would have expected them tastier coming from this restaurant. Oysters are awesome. My husband enjoyed his walleye fish. Overall good.Special Features:
- Great food and locationMartyDined on 6/5/2014This is always a favorite of mine. Never get tired of this place. I love watching the chefs prepare our meals. Friendly staff. Great location, espcially in the summer when the patio is open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to parDdddinerVIPDined on 6/2/2014Usually Catch is a treat so I booked a casual birthday gathering but we were quite dissapointed. The waiter was very nice and certainly game but clearly had no experience as we had room tempature prosecco and a few dropped plates. The food was not up to the normal standard, the fish and chips had a very heavy batter and the halibut was over cooked, mussels were good but were not served with anything to sop up the sauce. I'm not sure if we did not have our normal Catch experience because it was a Monday but I sure hope they can get their mojo back!
- The following 753 reviews are from the Catch Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014Exceptional service, food was excellent, especially the oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu is awesomeLarryVIPDined on 5/27/2014If you haven't been lately, check it out! The menu on their website is the old one for some reasonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PacoDined on 5/27/2014Went for the tempura prawn special. They were cooked some time prior and were not fresh. Also ordered a caesar salad that was warm and wilted. Disappointing.
- Would not recommend!PitaVIPDined on 5/23/2014The Catch has gone down hill - too much is 'deep fried'. My husband's portion of halibut was SO small yet pricey? He told the waitress & said he would try it - She 'never' came back to ask? My Salmon was good but appeared to have seen some deep frying? We had a nice booth but it was under the speaker & the music was too loud & asked to be moved to the 'empty' booth in front or behind us -- but told 'oh, we will just turn down the music' -- which lasted but 20 min and the volume was pushed back up? very disappointed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014Catch has the best seafood in Calgary. Whenever I am in the mood for seafood this is where I come and I am never disappointed. They also have an impressive wine list.Special Features:
- used to be a better placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014Average food and not worth the money. Catch of the day artic char served with lentils super dry and tasteless.Special Features:
- excellent seafoodFoodlover3Dined on 5/10/2014The oysters, clams and mussels were excellent and fresh. I had the mixed Provencale cocotte which was very good. The thing that brings the food rating down a bit is the ceasar salad; it was only ordinary and the dressing lacked in taste. The service was great and I look forward to returning to Catch--when I can afford it as it is expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentableuserVIPDined on 5/9/2014I love fresh Oysters! It's nice to see that they bring in fresh seafood daily i'm originally from the coast and miss the abundance of seafood. Dining in the Oyster Bar is like being at home again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/6/2014Thanks so much for the lovely evening! Our dinner was delayed due to a large group and it wasn't a problem, but the staff came over with an apology for the wait and crab cakes on the house! Nice touch! Our only complaint would have been that the veggie selection of mostly lentils could have been improved. Just some steamed fresh veggies with our fish would have been better. See you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in 7 years in Calgary!DrBulletskiDined on 5/3/2014Booked here on a whim before going to a concert. Thought we'd booked upstairs but actually so glad we were downstairs. Much nicer atmosphere and the food was absolutely superb. Best food we've had in Calgary...and we've tried most of the supposedly "fine dining" venues. In particular, my starter (Scallops) and my wfe's main (Swordfish) were exquisite. In fact, the swordfish was the best either of us had ever tasted (and that's coming from two marine biologists!). Our server was exceptional...perfect mix of attentiveness without imposing. We had a small selection of oysters too, which were also excellent. We will certainly be back...so may items that we'd still like to try and the "special" nights look like great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.