Catch 122 Cafe & Bistro
122 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1G8Neighborhood:
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Catch 122 Cafe & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.catch122.ca/
- Phone: (604) 731-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm; Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French / Canadian, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Ian Errington
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Office catering: sandwiches, pastries, coffee, etc.
- Private Party Contact: Brent Kyle 604-731-3474x
A word from Catch 122 Cafe & Bistro
Located in historic Gastown, Catch 122 serves up unpretentious, contemporary Canadian cuisine in a casual and comfortable setting. Brunch serves daily until 4pm, with a wicked coffee bar. Dinner serves Tuesday - Saturday after 4pm, when the wicked coffee bar transforms into a fresh seasonal cocktail bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCanadian
Catch 122 Cafe & Bistro - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Catch 122 Cafe & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)good for groups (21)great for brunch (20)neighborhood gem (19)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)romantic (6)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Large GroupXirconiumDined on 11/11/2014I booked a large group to have brunch here. The staff did a great job of taking everyone's orders, the food arrived in a timely matter and the manager was even able to find a few extra chairs when more of us showed up than the reservation was for. Also, everyone enjoyed their food and thought it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- misleading websiteEatouterDined on 10/25/2014The food at Catch 122 was good, and service was good also, but we were disappointed that their menu on their website had not been updated to match their menu at the restaurant. After looking online and choosing this restaurant based on their online menu, we were excited to try the wild boar and the arctic char. Both meals were not on the menu at the restaurant and we were told that one of them had not been for whole a month. If restaurants post their menu online they should ensure to keep those menus updated.
- Amazing for BrunchNereidDined on 10/23/2014Brunch, at $12 a plate, is an absolute STEAL! The quality is incredible and the portions generous. For dinner, it's a little more *nouvelle cuisine*, and portions may not be what you expect for the price. Still amazing quality, though.Special Features:
- DeliciousRisssDined on 10/18/2014Portions were just right for me. The food was tasty and interesting. Plating was excellent.Special Features:
- Vancouver1234Dined on 10/9/2014I found the food to be overly salty. However we did order the poutine and the muscles, which are generally on the salty side. I would have preferred the muscles in a cream sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great catchPurdsVIPDined on 10/3/2014Good food combined with affordable pricing allows everyone to eat and drink well. Service was good and the atmosphere was energetic on the friday night I was there. Already a repeated customer and have recommeded to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014Overall food and service great! Generally the food is a tad too salty for our table's taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A refined delight.yumminyyumminersDined on 9/30/2014The dishes are carefully prepared and are as delicious as they are striking in appearance; the decor is interesting and tasteful, the ambience a low brooding buzz -- perfect for getting into a dining mood. Definitely a place I'll come back to again and again. Only downside: the cloying guilt at being complicit in yet another Vancouver gentrification process.Special Features:
- The smokiness.... ah, the smokinessMrsODined on 9/20/2014The moment we entered Catch 122, we started salivating: they have their own smoke house in the back and the aroma permeates everything. For us, in particular, it was a nostalgic smell as well: we grew up with grandfathers who butchered and smoked pork and beef for their families. The menu is made of numerous small plates that can be easily shared, so the four of us got to try a wide variety of dishes: from the "bites" section, the smoked mussels and corn bread with truffle butter were outstanding. The meat and cheese board was also delightful, but what all of us agreed was out of this world was their in-house made chorizo sausage. We ordered it twice because we could not get enough. Hell, we would have bought their entire stash if we could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunch!!krgamboaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Attentive server, water glasses were never left empty, scrumptious food. Amazing brunch items all for $12!Special Features:
- Good Catch-service could be BetterBeensDined on 9/13/2014Great find - Catch 122 was interesting, casual environment with foodie fare! The appetizers were small but intriguing; braised short rib appy was tiny with very little meat - but tasty and well plated. The chorizo salad was large enough for two to share with two whole chorizos - dressing was good, needed a little more acidic balance. The flat iron steak (flank steak?) was seasoned well and cooked perfectly at med-rare, however the beet puree overpowered all tastes on the plate - grilled asparagus and the steak - pretty, but too much. Service was spotty; sometimes attentive and then they forgot we were there…:( We would return and hope for better service. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place!EllendummVIPDined on 9/10/2014This was a great spot for us - on the edge of Gastown - great conversation with the owner and perfect small plates!Special Features:
- Decent- PLEASE suceedCrosstownTrafficDined on 9/9/2014I really want this place to shine. I've been a couple times and it needs more people (possibly I go on off nights, so it's never going to be full, but...it wasn't even close). 2nd time here and the food was... good. Meat and cheese plate is great, great value, lots there, good flavours, good mix. I had the flat iron steak and it was just good. Medium rare - good, but a bit chewy. I think it's way to easy to serve great beef, so they should figure it out. Age it longer, spend a few $ on a better cut, whatever, just please me! And... why it's not getting more love in the neighborhood ! I walk by often and see the Wildebeast full and in my opinion, over priced and not so good. Why can't Catch 122 have this love? I send people here when I can.Special Features:
- DeliciousBc80Dined on 9/6/2014The food and service was amazing! One of the best meals I've had recently. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/18/2014After reading about Catch 122 in a few different places, decided to try it out and we were really glad we did! Really solid food with everything on the breakfast menu priced at a fair $12. Service was attentive, although the sweat pants, ripped shorts and ratty t-shirt look for service staff are just not my thing. Room was very big with great wood furnishings. Stuffed together quite close keeps it from being 5 stars. All in all a very nice spot for brunch. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodNickVIPDined on 8/15/2014This place is right by my house so I am here more often than not. The service is friendly and attentive and the food is delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a dateomnomnomDined on 8/14/2014I went here with my boyfriend last week and we really enjoyed it. The moules frites and the bison are wonderful and the beer selection was decent. The ambiance was great...low key and casual. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great cocktailsMarkDined on 8/12/2014This place had some good sandwiches, but really the drinks made it. Definitely try the botanique drink, it was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food!eatoutDined on 7/23/2014catch 122 never disappoints, great food, great drinks & now happy hour specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 134 reviews are from the Catch 122 Cafe & Bistro reviews archive.
- Love itAbbytoVanDined on 7/18/2014Have been there twice now and the food is fantastic. Love the decor and the lattes are amazing. Am hoping to work my way through the menu items!Special Features:
- Decent food but music too loudBunnyDined on 7/2/2014What is it with the loud music at restaurants? Do they not expect patrons to talk to their tablemates?
- eatoutDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant meal was a nice change. Shared 4 appies to make the meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underrated for brunchkidsomethingDined on 6/28/2014First time here - booked a table of 8 for brunch. Nice ambience, music wasn't too loud, table was ready when we arrived. They also provided us with 2 high chairs for the kids. Great unique selection on the menu (ex: duck prosciutto). I had the "catch 122" - croissant with smoked salmon and 2 poached eggs in a crème fraiche dill sauce. It was good but the yolk was cold when I bit in. My dad had the eggs Benedict which he said were good as well but he also complained about cold eggs.. And he started eating as soon as he was served. Great experience overall - perhaps ask the waiter to ensure food is served piping hot if it matters to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, well pricedMichaelGDined on 6/21/2014Pluses: Crab cakes - really just lots of dungeness crab with a breading - tasty. Dessert - chocolate & cherries - really good torte & black cherry ice cream; friendly staff Minuses: asparagus was overcooked; beet puree was tasty but the texture was off-puting. meat was a bit undercooked, but fine.Special Features:
- Cocktails and Small PlatesnstajDined on 6/20/2014Excellent, creative Gin Cocktail to complete well balance meat and cheese starter tray. Wild boar was excellent with a multitude of flavours. Our server (AO) was excellent and we enjoyed attentive service without a hover. It was early (pre-concert) but we would definitely consider a later dinner or after event drinks/small bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014They were able to accommodate our large group which was the first plus. The menu was incredible, many great options. Our group was thoroughly impressed with the food, price, portion sizes, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner49n123wDined on 5/31/2014I went here with my fiance and family for my birthday dinner. None of us had been to Catch 122 before and we were very happy with the food and the service. The menu is not huge, but we all found something we loved! The cheese plate was an awesome appetizer, the hen was amazing and was prepared so you don't have to pick through bones, the pickled vegetables in the meals were divine, and I highly suggest the dessert menu :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise on wrong side CambieLucyLikes2EatOutDined on 5/30/2014Don't be put off by the location of this charming restaurant. It's truly a hidden gem. Waitress Emily & her hubby Chef Ian ensured our table of 10 had a great evening of beer cocktails & tasty reasonably sized portions of food. Would come here again for an "away from the madding crowds" Friday night dinner venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small plates!foodangiDined on 5/16/2014Ordered the poutine, crispy pork, tortelloni, a truffle mushroom plate and more! Finished it all, oh yes the meat and cheese plate also great. Would go back regularly!Special Features:
- Wow! Amazing!!mcr1Dined on 5/8/2014We had the poutine platter (we just couldn't help ourselves) and a salad to try to balance things out. Delicious! The other menu items looked delicious too, so we'll have to go back! The wine was good too, though I would like to see more local options by the glass.Special Features:
- Who Knew?mmichielaDined on 4/18/2014We spun the Open Table wheel of fortune, and booked a last minute brunch reservation at Catch 122. I think we've found our new favourite bistro. Delicious takes on classic brunch fare, genuine and friendly service, and an eclectic decor will bring us back. Awesome experience!Special Features:
- Catch 122 - Long Time FansMartinDined on 4/12/2014We have been fans of the owners of Catch 122 for a long time (even back to their Indishpensible days). This time we invited a larger party (8 people), and they were all blown away by the fantastic food and awesome ambience. Although they had never been there before (didn't even know about it), they all became fast fans and will all return with their friends. I'm just happy we were able to show off Catch-122's exceptional food and service. Great Job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food.PalmyDined on 4/7/2014I went here with my husband and our 7 month old baby. The food was delicious and the coffee was amazing! I had the duck confit poutine which was yummy. I love the decor and it is very spacious. There is a change table for baby too which is fantastic. I will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRickDined on 3/29/2014Food wasn't good and the open kitchen is not an asset. It looks unfinished. For example the fries are coming out of s bag and the smoky cheese in the poutine is very bad.
- cute placelolaDined on 3/22/2014Interesting menu, nice shared plates, needs more greens (like a basic salad!) Crab cakes were delicious. Only has 4 main courses and could do with a few more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice group brunchMyFlightpathDined on 3/8/2014The staff were friendly and the setting was urban fun. Overall the food was tasty and nicely presented. I'd recommend this for brunch or lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, good pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/1/2014Ordered the poutine platter to share and everyone at the table quite enjoyed it. Crab cakes were under-seasoned, so a bit disappointed - not enough sauce given how thick the crab cakes were! Pork belly was not very crispy. Dessert was good. Had the pear tarte tatin; fellow diner had the bread and butter pudding - too dry at the top and too much of the sauce sitting at the base of the jar. The service here is very good. However, don't get the table by the window for four, though - we kept getting hit by the draft every time the door opened. Would still go back again - it's worth another visit and another look.
- It was good atomospher, lockJessicaDined on 2/24/2014It was good atomospher, lock of wine selection. Food tasted great; wish the main courses have more selection or have special main course on that day.Special Features:
- A soon not to be hidden gemEaszeedriveDined on 2/22/2014I took a big group to brunch for my birthday and although many of them had walked by this restaurant, none of us had ever eaten there. We will be back! It has a great ambiance but more importantly, great food and service. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape within the city.1stVisitDined on 2/18/2014I made the reservation for 5 of us 1st timers at 5pm and knowing us I gave ample time for us to chat and eat before heading out to a paint night at 7pm. The architect was gorgeous, massive floor space, brick walls, wooden-style tables, slightly rustic feel, and nice dimmed atmosphere.The drink I had that night was mimosa. Delicious. The food was excellent, it wasn't too little or too much, just right for fine dining meal. I had truffled organic mushroom for appy, and mussels for entree which was EXCELLENT. Unfortunately, due to slow service, did't have time to order dessert. However one woman did and she ordered bread pudding and it was outstanding. Worth trying Catch 122.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.