538 Market St
Newark, NJ 07105Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.precatas.com/
- Phone: (973) 491-5400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00PM - 4:00PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 4:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Da Roche
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: Please email us at Ruben@precatas.com for more details.
- Entertainment: Every other Wednesday we have a live band and half price bottles of wine. Thursday-Saturday we have live dj.
A word from Catas
Resume editing Catas is the perfect place to come to dine and wine. The architecture of the building is inspired by the famous architect Guadi. Our cuisine is Iberian influence with modern cooking styles and touches. We also offer an extensive wine and cocktail menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Catas reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (4)fit for foodies (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Barcelona comes to NewarkLowSaltReqdDined on 11/1/2014This restaurant is a unique find in the Iron Bound Newark NJ area. The decor is a wonderful reminder of the architecture from Gaudi in Barcelona. More importantly the food was excellent. A perfect place to share dishes with healthy portions of tasty food. We had octopus appetizer and salads and this got our taste buds going ready for more. Sangria to add to the fun. My dish was the Paella which was rich with flavors from lots of shell fish, chicken, chorizo and rice. Flan finished off the meal. I highly recommend this gem.Special Features:
- Cool, sophisticated bar/lounge restReenieb03Dined on 9/17/2014Cool, sophisticated, bar lounge restaurant with architect reminiscent of Spain. Great tapas! Had meatballs, empanadas and fried calamari. My favorite had to be the octopus entree. Nice size portion with delicious sautéed onions, but the potatoes that accompanied were lackluster, straight out of boiled water! The side of rice was also disappointing, definitely needed seasoning. But the ending to our meal was exquisite! Loved, loved the flan. Would definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the Catas reviews archive.
- Great find on a Newark layoverKodiakFoodieDined on 5/22/2014Hotel staff recommended and truly enjoyed everything. Order the baby squid and oysters escargot with the white sangria. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, Sports Bar!!PeterVIPDined on 3/23/2014This restaurant came highly recommended by two friends. When we arrived this past Sunday at 6pm, we found a packed bar full of Soccer fans watching the game. As we made our way through the sea of loud fans to what we thought was the dining room, we found many more Soccer fans just sitting around drinking and watching the game. Don't get me wrong. That's all well and good if that's what you are going for but based in the recommendation and their website we were expecting a very nice sit down dinner. I've checked with two people to make sure that I went to the right place in case Catas had two locations but I've been assured that was it. We ha to leave and ended up at Fernandes Steak which is fantastic.
- Catas for TapasMikeLeungDined on 2/21/2014very good value; an inexpensive tapas experience and yet food is served with artistic flair and is very tastySpecial Features:
- Excellent Spanish FoodLuna4X0Dined on 2/14/2014The location doesn't do the restaurant any justice. The food selection was excellent and I was impressed with the variety available. The wine list was good as well and reasonably priced. I went to Catas with a date, and out of all the tapas we ordered there was perhaps one I didn't like, the meatballs. They were a little bit too greasy for my taste, but every else was good. The service was EXCELLENT. The staff is extremely attentive and courteous. I didn't get a chance to explore the bar area, but it looked vibrant. The decor is also quite nice. Classy, trendy, but not over the top. I definitely recommend this to anyone looking to try some well made spanish food without breaking the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodLuisDined on 2/14/2014Throughly enjoyed my experience at Catas from a staff that attentive to a beautiful environment and not to mention the delicious food. Ordered 3 tapas appetizers and had enough to take home for lunch the next day. The price was extremely reasonable. Perfect locale if you are going to NYPAC or Prudential center for a show.Special Features:
- Good tapas / fulfilling portionsNewarkDiner2013Dined on 12/4/2013I went for lunch with a group of 6 people and they sat us in the back of the restaurant, I felt like we had our own private dining room. The decor was very nice, reminded me of Park Guell in Barcelona with the replica of the mosaic bench. The ambience was very nice and the noise level was perfect. The service was attentive but the food took awhile to arrive but it was well worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surprise!Couple2Dined on 11/7/2013This place is beautiful. The Antoni Gaudi inspired theme rocks!. I have never seen so much quality workmanship in any restaurant that closely resembles anything from Antoni Gaudi. You have to see it to believe it. The dining room the exterior of the building the bar and even the railing to the second floor party room is reminiscent of Gaudi. And that's not all, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the plentiful menu of Tapas, and wine brought to us by our very accommodating server, Miguel. Our favorites that evening included baby squid, and my wife's favorite blue-cheese dates wrapped in bacon. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone and I'm already planning to head back there again, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is edible not remarkable.OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/2/2013Food is edible not remarkable. The place is really hoping. Do not recommend for any one over 40 years old.Special Features:
- OkMiamangiaVIPDined on 10/20/2013Not what the pictures portrayed Seemed to be more of a bar scene for game day Only one table in the back was eating so we ate in the front And had the bartender take care of us She was pleasant and genuine The food was ok, mostly fried (queso) peppers were tasty Choirizo plentiful beer and wine better, as far as selection and tasteSpecial Features:
- Miguel is the best waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/21/2013Miguel is the best waiter in Catas. His services is excellent. He checks on you frequent enough, but don't bother you. We went one when he is not there and the food and service was not at par. We now know to go when he is working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten pathOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2013On Market Street a few blocks in from Ferry Street. A whole in the wall that you can easily blink and miss and you shouldn't. AMAZING combination of tradition and modern Tapas. Love coming here for drinks, dinner, or both. I have come here in groups with a reservation and the staff was very good to us. The manager even made a point to come to each table and make sure all of our needs were met- something you don't see too often anymore. Also great for the sports fan as the bar area is covered in TVs so you can keep up with all of the games.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When I arrived I was a bitGoadadVIPDined on 3/10/2013When I arrived I was a bit put off by the design of the restaurant...big bar area in front with high tables and multiple big screen tvs and a quiet not too interesting seating area in back. It was early evening and not too busy so we sat in the bar and were surrounded by a Spanish soccer game on the tvs. Fortunately the attentive staff and good food overcame our initial reaction that this was more a bar than a restaurant. Tapas was very good and I highly recommend the Pompano when available. A good spot to dine before a show or event at the Rock or NJPAC.Special Features:
- This was one of the strangestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2012This was one of the strangest experiences we have had in a while. Reading the reviews does not paint a clear picture of this restaurant... We walked in on a Sunday to an empty dining room but full bar. We decided to sit in the bar, but had to listen to the game that was on (super loud). The food was great and the bartender was attentive but all-in-all, not what we expected.
- Tried various tapas and eachOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/22/2012Tried various tapas and each was fantastic. Want to go back and try entrees. Given the variety of the dishes, all the flavors were spot on, not one tapas dish was under or over seasoned. Helpful staff.Special Features:
- Looking forward to going back soonOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2012Everything I ate was very delectable. Looking forward to another visit soon. I really enjoyed the lobster macaroni and cheese appetizer.Special Features:
- Catas Tapas....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012this was a great find, reasonable prices. LOVE THE Tapas!! I also loved the ceiling architecture/ lighting ( I was seated in dining area). My only complaint was that my chair was a little wobbly:/ Catas, thank you for introducing me to Van Gogh Vodka:)Special Features:
- Great food at a not so greatvivicatDined on 7/7/2012Great food at a not so great location in Newark. This restaurant is a find, but the area is not desirable.Special Features:
- I love Catas. The Tapas areRosaDined on 6/29/2012I love Catas. The Tapas are great, the service is outstanding and the vibe is fun and energetic. Sit at one of the tables by the bar for a full experience.Special Features:
- I love eating here and eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/28/2012I love eating here and eating several different tapas and wine. It is always absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- Had tapas and entrees. TheTheInsiderDined on 6/13/2012Had tapas and entrees. The tapas were small but at the same time inexpensive, so there was good value to trying them. You can split many among your table, not filling you up but giving you many tastes. That was fun. I had the pork entree and my guest the steak and both were quite good. Both took some home and enjoyed a second time. Good food, good value and a nice looking interior. I will be back.Special Features:
- The decor,modeled after theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/5/2012The decor,modeled after the style of Barcelona architect Antoni Gaudi,was very cool. The service was prompt & attentive. We tried the shrimp,chorizo & clam chowder which was rich but delicious. We enjoyed sampling the tapas, all wonderful. My least favorite was the lamb meatballs. We will definitely return. Great find!Special Features:
- Interesting and varied tapasPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 6/4/2012Interesting and varied tapas with a few unusual items. Nice Spanish wine list. Empty on this visit. I understand it's a pretty hot and bustling dance club on weekends. Very friendly service.Special Features:
- Went on a Sunday, around 8pm,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2012Went on a Sunday, around 8pm, and the bar was full but the restaurant had one couple. Sat down with a small group of friends, and were promptly forgotten about by the waitstaff. Service was slow throughout the dinner, but the food arrived hot and was extremely delicious. I love Catas for the flavors, but the two times I've come, the back seating area seems to be in a service ghetto. I had to hunt someone down to give us the check after we'd sat there for 10 minutes with the plates already taken. That lack of service is also probably why there isn't a lot of diners, and the back seating ends up oddly quiet feeling.
- A very solid spot with innovativeEatlingerVIPDined on 5/6/2012A very solid spot with innovative food, pleasant staff and a good vibeSpecial Features:
- Great Sangria and the wholeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/4/2012Great Sangria and the whole fish was outstanding. Sample some of the hot and cold tapas, they are worth the trip. Great for pre-NJPAC performances.Special Features:
- All apps were good an entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2012All apps were good an entrees had wonderful presentation. We were told the chicken entree would take over 25 mins after apps came out but we were fine with that. We did not want to be rushed! They have huge HD tv's great for all sports. Very nice place! Glad we found this restaurant!Special Features:
- I have been to this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2012I have been to this place a few times for drinks. It is near the NY RedBulls stadium and very crowded before games. Never went for dinner but I had always heard the food was good. Decided to try it finally and boy was it good! Pretty big portions but the quality was also very good, and dishes are nicely presented. The service was also notably good, waiter was very attentive but not overbearing.. and anticipated everything, exactly what you want!Special Features:
- Wonderful time; place is newOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/9/2012Wonderful time; place is new and clean and service was warmSpecial Features:
- Great food, great sangria.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2012Great food, great sangria. Was realy shocked that it was almost completely empty on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Overpriced for such smallOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/25/2012Overpriced for such small serving, Bigger tapas options in other locations in Newark. On a very busy street luckily there is small parking lot adjacent. Vibe was nice and drinks looked great. Overall too pricey and food wasn't anything special.Special Features:
- The food was excellent; however,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/11/2012The food was excellent; however, the atmosphere was not. It reminded me of a dance club, with incredibly loud 80s/90s music playing the entire time we were dining. I could understand this later in the evening, but not at 8pm.Special Features:
- Brunch was delicious. OurdinerVIPDined on 1/29/2012Brunch was delicious. Our waiter was extremely attentive and informative. An enjoyable brunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2012Catas was very disappointing. When we arrived we stopped at the bar for a drink since we arrived about a half hour before our reservation. The bartenders were great and the drinks were fine. We were seated as soon as we finished our drinks and the waiter was really great about answering our questions about the menu. My wife and I decided to go with the tapas and when they arrived, there was not one that could be called hot. All were warm and none of them were really anything special. The food was very bland and the fact that it wasn't served hot just made it worse. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourbrighteyestooDined on 1/28/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our tapas dinner at Catas. All of the selections were delicious! I particularly enjoyed the shrimp with garlic sauce, the chorizo and the patatas bravas! They make excellent sangria too!!Special Features:
- I was told about this place,PaulaPDined on 12/22/2011I was told about this place, by a friend. I did like this place food was good, service was excellent and the red sangria was delicious. I would go back.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem. UnusualLALOVIPDined on 12/18/2011Great neighborhood gem. Unusual architecture and interior. Excellent food.Special Features:
- The Food was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/28/2011The Food was outstanding and the service was impeccable! Thank you all for a wonderful evening, before the show at the Prudential Center. It set the mood and the tone for the evening. You are all amazing!Special Features:
- A real find!! Unique Gaudi/modernEatlingerVIPDined on 11/8/2011A real find!! Unique Gaudi/modern look, run by pros and chef is dedicated to every dish. Plus great service. Odd location, unless you are a Red Bulls fan, but don't pass by...Special Features: