300 Tech Square
Cambridge, MA 02012Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catalystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175763000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Catalyst Restaurant
Catalyst Restaurant is a reflection of Chef/Owner William Kovel’s passion for simple, delicious food delivered with warm service in a comfortable, modern environment. The modern American cuisine begins with exceptional products centered on locally grown organic produce and wild and farm raised food from sustainable practices. With an ever-changing menu, Catalyst celebrates each season by featuring the best ingredients from a wide range of farms and food producers in the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Catalyst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)good for groups (71)neighborhood gem (64)great for lunch (63)special occasion (62)great for outdoor dining (45)romantic (31)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (26)great for brunch (26)notable wine list (25)late-night find (10)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014We had a great dinner with six friends to celebrate a birthday. The food was outstanding and the atmosphere was upscale, but not too precious. Each of us had a fish entree, and the special of the day, roasted sole with fennel and artichoke was perfectly prepared and absolutely delicious. The chef was also able to modify the dish for a friend with a severe food allergy, and this was greatly appreciated. The restaurant was busy, but the space is large and so we never felt overwhelmed by noise or activity. Our waiter, Jameson was the perfect mix of charming and attentive, but not intrusive. I eat out frequently and travel often, and I will definitely return to Catalyst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened here?MuseumFoodieDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant was full of promise, but we were betrayed. The space is incredible, high ceilings, wide open, lots of space between tables. But everything else is a failure. From reception, where there is no eye contact to the listless service and dull food there is nothing to recommend a return. The lighting is a total disaster. Noting looks good, not the food and not the patrons. The idea that you can light a dining room with general ambient fixtures and a few chandeliers up high makes no sense. Everything kinda greys out and it kills the mood. The salad was leaves, and with the exception of the grapes, dull. The lamb loin, said by the staff to be tough if not cooked to medium, was tough at that too. And the polenta, just forget it.
- Nice Date NightfleurtamelieDined on 9/5/2014I was surprised that the main dining area wasn't more busy on a Friday night at 6:15pm - maybe that was too early for the crowds? Anyway, I arrived early and was pleasantly surprised that my table was ready. I was seated at a table for two next to the large glass window/wall looking out onto Main Street. The beer list was great and the wine list looked decent. We had a delicious cod dish and scallop dish and shared a lobster linguini appetizer. The linguini was a bit too al dente for my taste, but I like anything with lobster and a rich cream-based sauce. The scallops were perfectly cooked - nicely seared with a caramelized sauce on the outside and not overcooked.Special Features:
- Yummy but smallahrayseeDined on 9/2/2014Service was prompt, atmosphere was refreshing (very tall ceilings, very light and open feel, fresh, plants on the wall, simple, textured), food was very good. One thing to note is the portions were small, even for their entrees. $11 for about 1 cup of cooked pasta. $14 for two tiny fish tacos with fries was an entree. And calling that an entree is misleading, in my opinion. I'd rather they charge more for a bigger dish. So if you're starving, plan to spend a lot for a lunch and order more than one dish. But the flavor of the food was great!Special Features:
- DisappointmentboathouseVIPDined on 8/30/2014From start to finish, the restaurant is a disappointment. The space/decor is cold, loud and not the least bit inviting/comfortable for an evening out. The service was not measured -- initially very slow for drinks and bread to arrive -- and then sped up to the point where plates were removed virtually when forks were put down after completing a course. We felt rushed. The salad was dry, bitter and boring. The beef entree had a wetness to it -- almost as if it had been in a steamer to keep warm or as being prepared. Had a pot roast texture/flavor to it. The chicken was also "wet" and lacked flavor despite the description of spices on the menu. The baked alaska was flavorless except for anoverly sweet caramel drizzle. Avoid this place.
- RobinVIPDined on 8/30/2014Good food, all of us liked the desserts best. Homemade ice cream was very creamy, flour less chocolate cake was very chocolaty (if you like dense chocolate cake - order this) and the mint chocolate ice cream in the baked alaska was really minty with chocolate pieces. Great beer selection (a little pricey for some), and some interesting special cocktails. Burger and fries were cooked perfectly and very tasty.
- Could have been bettergenemiaeDined on 8/29/2014My wife and I tried this restaurant on a Friday night. The restaurant is in the middle of a lot of high tech companies so I imagine it does well during the week days. It was busy but not packed. I tried the fried green tomatoes starter. Good but not the taste I remember as a kid. My wife had the arugula beet salad which she liked. She also had the deep fried chicken. Very heavily battered. After peeling away the batter, her choice of eating fried foods, the chicken was very moist and tasty. I had the lamb sirloin. It was slices of lamb over fresh uncooked green and yellow berms and I think a goat cheese flavored dressing. Great overall taste but I thought my jaw would fall off trying to chew the meat. The baked Alaska was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressiveAkingDined on 8/28/2014With a name like catalyst, one probably expects interesting food combinations or drinks. My food is ordinary and my friends did not seem to like their good with more than 2/3 still untouch. Overall, a bit disappointing.
- Delicious!!TerriDined on 8/25/2014We recently dined at Catalyst on a Monday night with some friends who are foodies. We shared several small plates and main dishes. We found that each dish was prepared with great attention to the ingredients and favors that worked together perfectly. We found the prices to be reasonable as well. We would go back in a heartbeat. I intentionally did not list the specific dishes we ordered because they were all amazing. I plan to try other dishes on the menu on our next visit. Thank you for a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Love this placeStephrogDined on 8/22/2014Catalyst is such a gem - the physical space is gorgeous, and the seasonal menu is always a delight. It's my go-to spot for out-of-town guests and business dinners alike. The brunch is great, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! A bit priceyHeyalexa6Dined on 8/22/2014Food was fantastic. They were more than happy to split meals for us. We ate outside which was great. There is a big open grass field in front where our son could play. Plus parking is available. My only complaints are that there was no bicycle parking and it was a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Kendall area!NightowlbrandyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had lunch w. a friend & ended up spending several hrs. & no one minded which was nice. Menu limited but certainly adequate, & on creative side w. emphasis on presentation. Trendy decor, down to the odd angled knives & bathroom faucets! Tomato soup tasty & full bodied w. nice crostini toast. Turkey sandwich w. avocado slices & cranberry relish served on a lovely bun; also liked lobster & corn soup w. an interesting rb sandwich. Desserts good sized & worth indulging in, esp. W. exotic ice cream flavors. Service very attentive & personable. A big plus is validated parking in nrby garage, esp if seeing a Kendall Theater movie. Only downside is finding the place if not familiar w. Technology Sq; even a GPS & Google maps needed lots of prompting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grt but too loud for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Food & service were excellent, but it was too loud for an effective business lunch which is what we were looking for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit- won't be my last!New2CambridgeDined on 8/20/2014I was responsible for making dinner arrangements for an important business dinner with our Chairman of the Board and key consultant's. I was looking for a nice restaurant that would have the perfect mix of great food with a good variety, ambiance conducive for a group of 5 to converse, and the right blend of "special but not pretentious", and The Catalyst delivered it all! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TudengDined on 8/20/2014The creativity of the kitchen and general quality of food are outstanding. There is an optional, but noticeable Asian flavor in the cuisine (hot and sour soup which is great, Vietnamese style sandwiches) Prepare to the fact that the portions are dramatically on the small side. If you after small amount of outstanding food - this is a right place. Otherwise - prepare to pay more and order more and sample from different entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!CuriousDined on 8/15/2014Really Impressed with the food from appetizer to dessert it was a incredibly enjoyable experience. The bar and sitting area by the fireplace was very inviting and the open kitchen concept was cool. The only down side was that the crowd for a Friday was rather tame however this just could have been an off night. Overall I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Eating4meetingDined on 8/15/2014Nice place for a quiet dinner...parking is free and convenient. Nice presentation and wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- A great find for suburban foodies!!GibbiegabbleDined on 8/15/2014We were impressed with the modern and clean lines of the restaurant. There was a wonderful feeling of space, both architecturally and personally, with high ceilings, expanse of windows, and plenty of room between and around the tables. Our server, Anne, was friendly and knowledgeable about the food and its preparation. We enjoyed a most delicious French Malbec to begin our lunch. My husband had the burger, and I had the top sirloin tips. Portion sizes were ample, the meat cooked exactly to our individual requests, presentation attractive, and the tastes were wonderful. We finished the meal with coffee that was a rich, dark Italian roast, and the equally rich chocolate flourless cake topped with a peanut butter ice cream. Great findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Catalyst is a terrific restaurant. The food and service are consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent.Dab813VIPDined on 8/13/2014Food was fantastic. That alone will bring me back. A real neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!KaleighDined on 8/12/2014Catalyst is a open restaurant with great energy, service and food! The restaurant has floor to ceiling windows that looked out onto Main st in Kendall square, small and large tables for big groups but was not crowded for space at all. They also had a spacious outdoor seating area. The food was amazing, everything we had was prepared well and just delicious. I would definitely recommend Catalyst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dining experienceFoodieDined on 8/7/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catalyst always goodBusinessdinerVIPDined on 8/6/2014It was my third or fourth time at this restaurant. It is a great place to meet for a business lunch (not easy to find in Cambridge). The service is always good as is the food. I know I can count on Catalyst for a quiet place to chat and eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Girls Night OutDisappointedDined on 8/4/2014Perfect location for after work girls night out. Noise level great and able to chat with friends. Wait staff took too long to bring cocktail orders to the table. And my friend had to ask about the evening specials. I looked at menu on-line early in the day and excited to try a new cocktail. When I ordered the cocktail from on-line menu informed it is not available as menu updated recently. Not good..... But food good and would go back. Great spot and loved it is walking distance from my office.Special Features:
- dependably delightfulhookedDined on 8/4/2014From the kind, courteous and attentive staff, who are generous with smiles, to the tasty dishes, it's always a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- lovely eveningchrissyDined on 8/3/2014the scallops were perfectly cooked. a chocolate dessert to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food & you can talk & hearSRDinesDined on 8/3/2014If I am taking the time to meet with special people and have a fabulous meal, there are very few restaurants where you can actually enjoy your meal and your conversation. I have been to this wonderful restaurant twice with 4 additional people. We all had a great time and each dish was superb. But, most importantly, we were very comfortable, could hear everyone at the table and enjoyed the ambiance. Thank you Catalyst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth seeking outPenelopeVIPDined on 8/1/2014What a terrific place - beauty, quality, design, and a bit of edge - adventurous menu plus friendly service. Couldn't have had a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceaniversaryDined on 7/29/2014I have been to Catalyst a number of times and the food is always good, but it took us 1 1/2 hours for lunch, which is too long. Service needs to improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatplaceDined on 7/27/2014excellent food, friendly staff, in an upbeat venue, well-designedSpecial Features:
- Best lunch in KendallLauraVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is my favorite lunch place in the greater Kendall Square area, though I wish it were slightly less busy so I didn't have to remember to make reservations in advance. Everything tastes great, it's not exorbitant, and there's daily specials for both soup and sandwich. (Announced on twitter!). It's also a very tasty Sunday brunch. (I'm sure it's great for dinner too, but I have less experience with that).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxxVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very noisy; service sometimes inattentive; food normally very goodI would recommend this to a friend.
- striking space, delicious foodTraveler2014Dined on 7/22/2014Architectural gem. Exceptional food. Attentive service. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 7/21/2014Excellent, interesting food.creamed kale is outstanding.Special Features:
- Wonderful but won't go backAnonymousVIPDined on 7/19/2014We went to this restaurant with our two small children and enjoyed almost everything about it: the location is nearby our home, there is free validated parking in the technology square garage, the outdoor seating is conveniently located by a grassy field for the kids to play, the food was interesting and delicious, and they include a "bartender's choice" for cocktails on the menu, which I really enjoy. Our evening, however, was ruined by a really poor service experience, which was unacceptably slow for a family with kids and our waiter disappeared for painfully long periods. The other servers seemed much more friendly and responsive, so while we will not return, other people may have a better experience.Special Features:
- Spectacular foodClaudiaWeyDined on 7/19/2014I went last night with some friends and everything we ordered was outstanding. My favorite course was the Tournedos of Beef. Absolutely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchDityVIPDined on 7/18/2014The service was excellent and a great spot for lunch. I had the soup and 1/2 sandwich. The soup was flavorful and the chicken sandwich was incredible. I also had the lemonade and it was not sweet, perfect for a hot summer day. A great lunch and you felt like you really had an office break.Special Features:
- So Close to GreatEYEMOREDined on 7/16/2014This place is good. I like the decor and ambiance. Everyone was attentive, it was clean and food was good. Fresh produce was used and ideas were fresh, portions were fair for the price. Particularly the first courses. Now the reason it's not great. Our waiter made it a bit more about him than me. I like it when they check in and complement your choices but overflowing with personal details, sharing etc and interrupting my dinner conversation to see how the food is a bit much. Everyone's dishes were under seasoned and the desserts were subpar for the cost. Worst of all my beautiful favorite drink of a Grey Lock Martini was ruined, the bar tender must have left too long on the ice and my twist overpowered the subtle qualities of the gin.Special Features:
- Save room for dessert!ShubaDined on 7/14/2014Catalyst always has an interesting take on traditional lunch items - their chickpea fritter wrap is falafel but with a pickled carrot garnish that puts the whole thing into a different level of heaven. But, and here's the most important thing - *always* save room for dessert. I had the dark chocolate mousse with thai basil cream and it was unbelievably good! The thai basil cream is actually the strangest thing I've ever had - it's like essence of basil in whipped cream - but it somehow enhances and intensifies the chocolate flavors. Truly an eating experience.Special Features:
- AlAlanDined on 7/10/2014Great food. Excellent wine list. Outstanding service with ChristinaSpecial Features: