300 Tech Square
Cambridge, MA 02012Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.catalystrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175763000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Catalyst Restaurant
Catalyst Restaurant is a reflection of Chef/Owner William Kovel’s passion for simple, delicious food delivered with warm service in a comfortable, modern environment. The modern American cuisine begins with exceptional products centered on locally grown organic produce and wild and farm raised food from sustainable practices. With an ever-changing menu, Catalyst celebrates each season by featuring the best ingredients from a wide range of farms and food producers in the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Catalyst Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)good for groups (75)great for lunch (67)neighborhood gem (67)special occasion (64)great for outdoor dining (43)vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (29)great for brunch (29)romantic (28)notable wine list (26)late-night find (11)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Great food! A bit priceyHeyalexa6Dined on 8/22/2014Food was fantastic. They were more than happy to split meals for us. We ate outside which was great. There is a big open grass field in front where our son could play. Plus parking is available. My only complaints are that there was no bicycle parking and it was a bit expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to Kendall area!NightowlbrandyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had lunch w. a friend & ended up spending several hrs. & no one minded which was nice. Menu limited but certainly adequate, & on creative side w. emphasis on presentation. Trendy decor, down to the odd angled knives & bathroom faucets! Tomato soup tasty & full bodied w. nice crostini toast. Turkey sandwich w. avocado slices & cranberry relish served on a lovely bun; also liked lobster & corn soup w. an interesting rb sandwich. Desserts good sized & worth indulging in, esp. W. exotic ice cream flavors. Service very attentive & personable. A big plus is validated parking in nrby garage, esp if seeing a Kendall Theater movie. Only downside is finding the place if not familiar w. Technology Sq; even a GPS & Google maps needed lots of prompting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grt but too loud for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Food & service were excellent, but it was too loud for an effective business lunch which is what we were looking for.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit- won't be my last!New2CambridgeDined on 8/20/2014I was responsible for making dinner arrangements for an important business dinner with our Chairman of the Board and key consultant's. I was looking for a nice restaurant that would have the perfect mix of great food with a good variety, ambiance conducive for a group of 5 to converse, and the right blend of "special but not pretentious", and The Catalyst delivered it all! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TudengDined on 8/20/2014The creativity of the kitchen and general quality of food are outstanding. There is an optional, but noticeable Asian flavor in the cuisine (hot and sour soup which is great, Vietnamese style sandwiches) Prepare to the fact that the portions are dramatically on the small side. If you after small amount of outstanding food - this is a right place. Otherwise - prepare to pay more and order more and sample from different entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!CuriousDined on 8/15/2014Really Impressed with the food from appetizer to dessert it was a incredibly enjoyable experience. The bar and sitting area by the fireplace was very inviting and the open kitchen concept was cool. The only down side was that the crowd for a Friday was rather tame however this just could have been an off night. Overall I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Eating4meetingDined on 8/15/2014Nice place for a quiet dinner...parking is free and convenient. Nice presentation and wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- A great find for suburban foodies!!GibbiegabbleDined on 8/15/2014We were impressed with the modern and clean lines of the restaurant. There was a wonderful feeling of space, both architecturally and personally, with high ceilings, expanse of windows, and plenty of room between and around the tables. Our server, Anne, was friendly and knowledgeable about the food and its preparation. We enjoyed a most delicious French Malbec to begin our lunch. My husband had the burger, and I had the top sirloin tips. Portion sizes were ample, the meat cooked exactly to our individual requests, presentation attractive, and the tastes were wonderful. We finished the meal with coffee that was a rich, dark Italian roast, and the equally rich chocolate flourless cake topped with a peanut butter ice cream. Great findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Catalyst is a terrific restaurant. The food and service are consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent.Dab813VIPDined on 8/13/2014Food was fantastic. That alone will bring me back. A real neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night!KaleighDined on 8/12/2014Catalyst is a open restaurant with great energy, service and food! The restaurant has floor to ceiling windows that looked out onto Main st in Kendall square, small and large tables for big groups but was not crowded for space at all. They also had a spacious outdoor seating area. The food was amazing, everything we had was prepared well and just delicious. I would definitely recommend Catalyst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dining experienceFoodieDined on 8/7/2014Great food, service and atmosphere. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catalyst always goodBusinessdinerVIPDined on 8/6/2014It was my third or fourth time at this restaurant. It is a great place to meet for a business lunch (not easy to find in Cambridge). The service is always good as is the food. I know I can count on Catalyst for a quiet place to chat and eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Girls Night OutDisappointedDined on 8/4/2014Perfect location for after work girls night out. Noise level great and able to chat with friends. Wait staff took too long to bring cocktail orders to the table. And my friend had to ask about the evening specials. I looked at menu on-line early in the day and excited to try a new cocktail. When I ordered the cocktail from on-line menu informed it is not available as menu updated recently. Not good..... But food good and would go back. Great spot and loved it is walking distance from my office.Special Features:
- dependably delightfulhookedDined on 8/4/2014From the kind, courteous and attentive staff, who are generous with smiles, to the tasty dishes, it's always a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- lovely eveningchrissyDined on 8/3/2014the scallops were perfectly cooked. a chocolate dessert to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food & you can talk & hearSRDinesDined on 8/3/2014If I am taking the time to meet with special people and have a fabulous meal, there are very few restaurants where you can actually enjoy your meal and your conversation. I have been to this wonderful restaurant twice with 4 additional people. We all had a great time and each dish was superb. But, most importantly, we were very comfortable, could hear everyone at the table and enjoyed the ambiance. Thank you Catalyst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth seeking outPenelopeVIPDined on 8/1/2014What a terrific place - beauty, quality, design, and a bit of edge - adventurous menu plus friendly service. Couldn't have had a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceaniversaryDined on 7/29/2014I have been to Catalyst a number of times and the food is always good, but it took us 1 1/2 hours for lunch, which is too long. Service needs to improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatplaceDined on 7/27/2014excellent food, friendly staff, in an upbeat venue, well-designedSpecial Features:
- Best lunch in KendallLauraVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is my favorite lunch place in the greater Kendall Square area, though I wish it were slightly less busy so I didn't have to remember to make reservations in advance. Everything tastes great, it's not exorbitant, and there's daily specials for both soup and sandwich. (Announced on twitter!). It's also a very tasty Sunday brunch. (I'm sure it's great for dinner too, but I have less experience with that).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- xxxxxVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very noisy; service sometimes inattentive; food normally very goodI would recommend this to a friend.
- striking space, delicious foodTraveler2014Dined on 7/22/2014Architectural gem. Exceptional food. Attentive service. A real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 7/21/2014Excellent, interesting food.creamed kale is outstanding.Special Features:
- Wonderful but won't go backAnonymousVIPDined on 7/19/2014We went to this restaurant with our two small children and enjoyed almost everything about it: the location is nearby our home, there is free validated parking in the technology square garage, the outdoor seating is conveniently located by a grassy field for the kids to play, the food was interesting and delicious, and they include a "bartender's choice" for cocktails on the menu, which I really enjoy. Our evening, however, was ruined by a really poor service experience, which was unacceptably slow for a family with kids and our waiter disappeared for painfully long periods. The other servers seemed much more friendly and responsive, so while we will not return, other people may have a better experience.Special Features:
- Spectacular foodClaudiaWeyDined on 7/19/2014I went last night with some friends and everything we ordered was outstanding. My favorite course was the Tournedos of Beef. Absolutely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchDityVIPDined on 7/18/2014The service was excellent and a great spot for lunch. I had the soup and 1/2 sandwich. The soup was flavorful and the chicken sandwich was incredible. I also had the lemonade and it was not sweet, perfect for a hot summer day. A great lunch and you felt like you really had an office break.Special Features:
- So Close to GreatEYEMOREDined on 7/16/2014This place is good. I like the decor and ambiance. Everyone was attentive, it was clean and food was good. Fresh produce was used and ideas were fresh, portions were fair for the price. Particularly the first courses. Now the reason it's not great. Our waiter made it a bit more about him than me. I like it when they check in and complement your choices but overflowing with personal details, sharing etc and interrupting my dinner conversation to see how the food is a bit much. Everyone's dishes were under seasoned and the desserts were subpar for the cost. Worst of all my beautiful favorite drink of a Grey Lock Martini was ruined, the bar tender must have left too long on the ice and my twist overpowered the subtle qualities of the gin.Special Features:
- Save room for dessert!ShubaDined on 7/14/2014Catalyst always has an interesting take on traditional lunch items - their chickpea fritter wrap is falafel but with a pickled carrot garnish that puts the whole thing into a different level of heaven. But, and here's the most important thing - *always* save room for dessert. I had the dark chocolate mousse with thai basil cream and it was unbelievably good! The thai basil cream is actually the strangest thing I've ever had - it's like essence of basil in whipped cream - but it somehow enhances and intensifies the chocolate flavors. Truly an eating experience.Special Features:
- AlAlanDined on 7/10/2014Great food. Excellent wine list. Outstanding service with ChristinaSpecial Features:
- Special event, special eveningReadingCamDined on 6/29/2014Dinner for 10, well cared for, thoughtful, quiet service. Excellent food, the menu choices were nicely balanced. Nice that the din of the city does not enter here.Special Features:
- lovely dinnerddf8VIPDined on 6/27/2014My daughter and I had a wonderful dinner--her cod was outstanding and my pork chop special was as well. My mussel soup was great as well--but missing the promised garnish--when I asked I was told they were "out", which raises my one quibble with this restaurant. Our waitress had a fabulous demeanor but was not so great on execution--she greeted a table next to us first when we were seated before them. She was great about letting my daughter change her salad ingredients, but then it arrived missing some ingredients and she was oblivious, so we had to hail another server. She was around a fair amount, but never when we needed anything. But all in all a great dinner and a lovely, peaceful outside seating area.Special Features:
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014This was our third visit here in the past 3 years. The food choices are varied and the results are superb. We'll be returning on our next visit to Cambridge.Special Features:
- Unexpected Surprise!EatRealFoodVIPDined on 6/24/2014Met a friend here recently for dinner and was surprised at the overall ambience inside. We shared the fried green tomatoes which were delicious with the pickled onions. We both ordered scallops and the combination of the veggies with the color palette was pleasing to the eye and taste buds. Slight mix-up with dessert order but it was quickly rectified and was even brought out the extra dessert. Small outdoor dining area. Quiet spot inside Technology Square. Oh, btw, their essence drinks are a must have. I ordered the Cambridge Favorite and it quickly became mine. I'm still thinking about it! My friend had the Rose of the Day - catchy concept and light for any fare. Would recommend and would go back!Special Features:
- alocalDined on 6/23/2014Food was delicious and well presented. Old wood and stone interior in tech building is very successful.Special Features:
- DisappointingOk2dineDined on 6/21/2014Been there before and very satisfied. Had out of town guests went back. Neither finished their main course, ,one didn't finish appetizer, my chicken was dry, service excellent, I like the atmosphere
- Great food and great ambianceRgskDined on 6/17/2014We went as a group of 5 people with very distinct and individual tastes. The restaurant appealed to all of us. The appetizers, wine, main course and dessert were all delish. The decor was mix of contemporary and country. Recycled wood panels with modern clear glass lamps and floor to ceiling windows just opened up the space to let light in and draw everyone in. The server was knowledgable about the restaurant and its clients. Her suggestions were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/17/2014Found them excellent for a nice corporate event of 25. Great food, wine, and attentive planning and service. Very knowledge bat tenders bordering on mixologists. Tried them for date night. The server was very knowledgeble and attentive. The rest of the staff was checked out. The food was unremarkable. The desert was a waste.Special Features:
- Service ruined the mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/16/2014The service was so poor that it ruined the meal. Tables around us were seated and got their meals while we waited in between our appetizer and main course. Our waiter's attentiveness was so poor that I can only explain it as he was deliberately ignoring us. I will not return.
- Dinner and a meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014Convenient location near MIT for a friendly meeting after some conference sessions. No one at the table was a wine lover but the beer selection was varied and excellent (though not extensive). The food was superb... scallops or cod you could not go wrong. Atmosphere was quiet early in the evening but got moderately louder as the night progressed (we were here on a Monday so the restaurant was only partially full). There are plenty of options for seating -- a booth in our case for some technical discussions -- but plenty of open tables to enjoy the full atmosphere and a spacious bar to gather around. Go. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.