Castle Hill Inn
590 Ocean Ave
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Castle Hill Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.castlehillinn.com/
- Phone: 4018493885x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday through Thursday, 5:45pm to 9:00pm;
Friday & Saturday, 5:45pm to 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday through Saturday, 11:30am to 3:00pm
Sunday Brunch: with live Jazz 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday through Saturday, 3:00pm to 8:00pm
Food: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 7:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 8:30pm
Beverage: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karsten Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Castle Hill Inn is the perfect place to hold your next event. Corporate Events: Private, elegant, Castle Hill Inn offers an appropriate setting for executive meetings and social events. From corporate retreats to fundraisers, lectures, business seminars, reunions, and large cocktail parties, the Castle Hill Inn staff has the experience and flexibility to enhance a variety of occasions. Social Events: Spend your next special occasion with us in Victorian elegance, whether planning an Anniversary, Wedding Shower or Corporate Dinner. We provide award-winning cuisine, exceptional service and the best sunset views in Newport.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4012484951x
A word from Castle Hill Inn
The Mansion's chefs artfully craft fresh local fish, regional meats, and produce into a distinctly native, seasonal menu, served in four dining rooms within the Inn. On The Lawn, the epitome of classic New England al fresco dining, think small plates and summer cocktails delivered right to your Adirondack chair. From creative cocktails to appetizers to desserts, imaginative presentation and exceptional taste characterize Castle Hill Inn's fine Dining Experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Castle Hill Inn - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Castle Hill Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (240)special occasion (191)romantic (188)great for outdoor dining (186)fit for foodies (122)great for lunch (113)notable wine list (99)great for brunch (85)good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (33)kid-friendly (31)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (1)Show More
- Magical eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014It was our wedding dinner. Every aspect of our dining experience was splendid! The most memorable memory will be the women in housekeeping. Her name was Ines. She not only help our maid of honor in the ladies room but she made us feel so special. She showed such pride for working at Castle Hill. She has convinced us to make reservations to come back and spend a night. She even showed us some of the rooms. She knew the history of the mansion in every detail. We will be back to spend a few nights in the fall. The food and service was magical also. We had the Chef,s tasting and every course seemed better than the one before. This was the perfect ending to a perfect day.Special Features:
- What a ViewWintersgirlDined on 9/28/2014Would highly recommend Castle Hill for both the food and the amazing view. The adirondack chairs on the lawn are a lovely place to enjoy a cocktail while waiting for your tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreathtakingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I loved this place. The view was spectacular. Everything we ordered was delish. The service was excellent. I want to go back next summer and at the beach cottages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Castle Hill diningSpiritDined on 9/26/2014Outstanding service and excellent dinner.I would recomend this to anyone looking for a special dining experience.HOwever I would tell them that they must expect a heft price for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014absolutely amazing. one of the best meals I have ever had.Special Features:
- MildredDined on 9/21/2014We had a wonderful time. The setting was fabulous. The only negative was portion size. We went for brunch and my husband and I decided to split the bagel/lox entre as an appetizer - we only received 3/4 of a bagel. Really? It cost $16 for 3/4 of a bagel, cream cheese and lox. I would also question if the 3-egg omelets were made with 3 eggs. Again, great setting, great service, wonderful tasting food, but you might leave hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- main coarse optionsamazingsunsetDined on 9/20/2014There was no chicken option for main course. I liked the portion sizes of the courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our late lunch and view!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great food, great location, great view... all worth it! Food was fresh and amazing for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Great view of harbor & sail boats. Can sit on lawn for cocktails. Lovely outside dining location.Special Features:
- MalsDined on 9/20/2014Absolutely beautiful view and on a nice day eating out on the lawn made the lunch even more spectacular. The food was excellent as well. It was a great way to spend a birthday. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was lackingEllenDined on 9/19/2014The location was fantastic, the food was good, the service (at least at our table was very slow and inconsistent) 27 minutes and two inquiries if anyone was helping us yet finally brought water to our table. Another 20 minutes to bring coca I'll and wine at same time, only to have us ask to hold the wine until our food was served, but then we had to request the wine when our appetizers were served. By the time wine was served 15 minutelater with only a screw top to be removered, our okay gumbo an yummy pork belly sliders were cold. Fish sandwich was well prepared and homemade fries were very good, but cut very short (maybe end of batch)? And fish and lobster of ettoufee were nicely prepared, but gumbo and ettoufee should not be twinsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Great spot in Newport, must do drinks on the lawn! Food was fantastic as was the service! Do not miss when in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seems to us over ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014The table we were seated at was just too close to folks on either side. My steak was poorly trimmed and had a large amount of gristle; just not a $38 steak.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014The ace and view we're outstanding. The food was very expensive and mediocre. We were disappointed. NeneSpecial Features:
- Special dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014High end restaurant with a great location on the water. Dining there is an experience, not just a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunchmikeDined on 9/14/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants for brunch, especially in the nice weather with the wonderful view! The service and food are always wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best view, great food & servicePFarDined on 9/13/2014Gorgeous day overlooking the bay - filled with sailboats! The view alone is worth it! Castle Hill has the best clam chowder in RI and the clam fritters are amazing. Other, more sophisticated delicacies, were fantastic too! Fluke and lobster etouffee for example!Special Features:
- DebRNDebRnDined on 9/12/2014Absolutely Beautiful!! Food and Service was Outstanding!! If you plan your time right, the sunsets over the water are amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic DiningMaple4Dined on 9/11/2014We loved the atmosphere, amazing view, and total ambience. It was a very special celabration for us and would definitely return when we are in Newport again on vacation. The food was cooked to perfection. Kudos to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jan252Dined on 9/11/2014The Castle Hill Inn is nothing short of spectacular. I went on Wednesday with a friend who was visiting from Atlanta. From the valet to the hostess to the servers, the staff was attentive and friendly. The food was excellent and, of course, the setting is indescribably beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the ViewmikecDined on 9/10/2014Fantastic view of Narragansett Bay, Newport (Pell) Bridge and Rhode Island Sound. Very expensive, consider having sunset cocktails or brunch as the dinner menu leans towards multiple courses as a dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSuzitoDined on 9/10/2014Had a good lunch using a gift card we just received for our 40th anniv. All was well until checking out. We were told card had nothing left on it even though it had never been used. So waitress had put it on our credit card which we had also given to cover the tip. Was a $125 card. Now the fun began, we waited a half hour for them to fix their error. The restaurant apparently had never activated their gift card. So what had been a good experience went sour. Not even an offer for a comp drink while we waited a half hour for them to correct their error.Special Features:
- HotWater1Dined on 9/9/2014Outstanding dinner on a Prix fix menu. You can select from a 3-4-5 course meal with or without wine. The wine pairings really were done well and the service was not 'pushy'. We arrived on a Tuesday night for a 7:00 P.M. reservation and by 9:30 P.M. we were the only two left in the room. It was a bit noisy as the inside gazebo was full and it was a fast paced environment but we never once felt rushed. A fabulous setting and dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Escape from realityLhh1014Dined on 9/8/2014A delicious meal positioned in a setting that is breathtaking without ever being overwhelming. Everything you could hope it would be.Special Features:
- Great food!lkadinDined on 9/8/2014Katie was an excellent server! Great view. We were here for our anniversary and has a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnsurpassedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014Words cannot describe the wonderful views, comfortable environment, quality of service and excellent food at this fine establishment. You have to experience it once and you'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveNewportDined on 9/7/2014Our guest has numerous food allergies and the staff could not have been more solicitous making it a relaxed and enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed here!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The restaurant thst I can always recommend without hesitation is Castle HillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I never write reviews for any restaurant but this place was AWESOME ! ... Period ! The end !Special Features:
- still superb after all these yearsValleynewsDined on 9/5/2014My husband and I had been to the Sunday jazz brunches here 25+ years ago. It was on a whim day trip to Newprt for our 33rd anniversary that we decided to go for lunch on the lawn. Exquisite views of the sailboats and sparkling bay. Fresh and tasty food. Friendly, warm, prompt service. And a pleasant place to stroll afterward. Wish we could have stayed for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCEmem8Dined on 9/3/2014We went to Castle Hill for our anniversary. The restaurant and the view are breathtaking! The service was exceptional. From the hostess to the waiter to the food staff who brought out our food...The food was delicious. We tried the three course meal with wine pairings. We had scallops and calamari for appetizers; salmon and lobster for dinner; and the chocolate hazelnut bar and milk chocolate ice cream for dessert. The wine was just perfect with the food. The next day I recommended Castle Hill to all of my colleagues. I had such a great experience. I can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!LilyDined on 9/1/2014We had our wedding at Castle Hill last summer and decided to go back every year for anniversary. This was the first anniversary dinner we had there and it was exactly what we expected - romantic atmosphere, fabulous views, excellent service and wonderful food!Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014It was my husband and I's 23rd anniversary and we had the perfect meal. It was a foggy night so the view was restricted but you could tell that on some nghts it would be spectaular. The service was excellant and we just enjoyed the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StanDined on 8/31/2014Great food, great service. Staff were friendly and helpful and ready to serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but WAY overpricedCardsdaddyDined on 8/30/2014The food is very good. The watermelon gazpacho and the scallops were outstanding. However, the prices are astronomic for what you get. Sure, I don't mind paying a premium for location and for the fabulous view of the bay, but the prices were at least double what you would pay at any other fine dining establishment. The service was VERY slow. We were there for almost 3 1/2 hours! I don't like to be rushed, but that was ridiculous.Special Features:
- Best view, great good.RI401VIPDined on 8/30/2014For anyone that wants to experience scenic Newport and get away from the T-shirt buying crowds you can't beat Castle Hill. Great food, great seafood and the best view of Narragansett Bay. Reservations necessary. Complementary valet parking. If you don't have a reservation, waiting for a table is not bad, just get a drink and enjoy the breeze and views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/28/2014Service was slow, not very friendly. It took forever to get water even. Staff seemed overwhelmed and unprofessional. Food wasn't very interesting at all. I've been coming here for years and to. E honest if it wasn't for the great view it wouldn't be worth coming - very mediocre place. The server on the lawn afterwards was excellent. They also shouldn't allow smoking on the lawn.
- Great Building and LocationOTtruthDined on 8/27/2014This location is simply elegant and the "Castle" is well kept and historic - I would recommend for outside dining and their lighter dining room inside, but not for their inside dining room which is over rated and way over priced. $109.00 for one half lobster and 3 scallops is a bit much and the food was not outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014We were disappointed in our dining experience. We had a 12.15 lunch reservation. Told the table wasn't ready. We waited at the bar for 25 minutes. They had forgotten all about us. This happened to other diners also. The food was okay. Table service was fine, but the waitress forgot our wine. All in all, it was a combination of amateur houe and a couldn't care less attitude. We won't go back.Special Features:
- Slow to get foodLocaldiner1Dined on 8/27/2014My last experience at CH. Was less enjoyable than when I went there for lunch in July . The wraps we ordered were just ok and the fries were terrible but the biggest disappointment was that we had to wait a very long time to get our lunch in spite of an early reservation at 11:30 and we also let our waitress know that we wanted to catch the 1:00 water taxi. While we waited over 40. Minutes to get our lunch we had to dodge a lot of birds that came right onto the table and a yellow jacket bee. We received our check at 12:50 , making it too late to get the CH water taxi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.