Castle Hill Inn
590 Ocean Ave
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Castle Hill Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.castlehillinn.com/
- Phone: (401) 849-3885
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sundays, 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday through Friday, 11:30am - 2:00pm; Saturday, 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday through Monday, 5:45pm to 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 5:45pm to 9:00pm
Food: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 7:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 8:30pm
Beverage: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 9:30pm
Seasonal: Closed for the season
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karsten Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Castle Hill Inn is the perfect place to hold your next event. Corporate Events: Private, elegant, Castle Hill Inn offers an appropriate setting for executive meetings and social events. From corporate retreats to fundraisers, lectures, business seminars, reunions, and large cocktail parties, the Castle Hill Inn staff has the experience and flexibility to enhance a variety of occasions. Social Events: Spend your next special occasion with us in Victorian elegance, whether planning an Anniversary, Wedding Shower or Corporate Dinner. We provide award-winning cuisine, exceptional service and the best sunset views in Newport.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4012484951x
A word from Castle Hill Inn
The Mansion's chefs artfully craft fresh local fish, regional meats, and produce into a distinctly native, seasonal menu, served in four dining rooms within the Inn. On The Lawn, the epitome of classic New England al fresco dining, think small plates and summer cocktails delivered right to your Adirondack chair. From creative cocktails to appetizers to desserts, imaginative presentation and exceptional taste characterize Castle Hill Inn's fine Dining Experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Castle Hill Inn - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Castle Hill Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
266 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (231)special occasion (195)romantic (176)great for outdoor dining (155)fit for foodies (143)great for lunch (123)great for brunch (86)notable wine list (84)good for groups (51)neighborhood gem (42)hot spot (34)kid-friendly (23)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (1)Show More
- BRING OUT OF TOWN GUESTSLollypopDined on 11/22/2014Yet another superb visit for lunch, again bringing out of state visitors for lunch, this time on a windy, cold November Saturday. Sunlight on the water was dramatic, and the ocean-going ship stopped the conversation for several stunning moments. Food as always was delicious and served by a charming young man. After we'd dined, we moved to the fireplace area and continued our conversation in an even more homey, elegant setting. It was an altogether memorable, happy experience we hope to repeat in the future in whatever season. Sincerest thanks to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateDined on 11/16/2014Every morsel was wonderful! We will go back and bring friends. We were seated looking out on the water, just beautiful.Special Features:
- A Special Retreat, Commanding Views, Terrific FoodRAC4348VIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our second visit to Castle Hill. This time we went with our adult children. Everyone found something special on the menu and none went away disappointed. The service was attentive. The ambience and views from the Inn are terrific - night or day. Save room for the dessert...simply incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant setting, nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014We dined here for restaurant week. Previously we have only had appetizers at the outdoor bar, so we were looking forward to the experience. We enjoyed our meal, service was attentive, and we would definitely think of this for a special occasion. The one strange thing was that I guess they suspend valet service in winter as there was no valet and it was freezing, so it would have been nice to have one, and whenever a car in the first row backed out, their very bright headlights cut through the windows directly onto us, very jarring, so maybe putting a film on that window would be nicer for guests when the valet is not operating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Castle Hill is always a pleasure: A gracious dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Extremely memorable day dining with friends in a cordial, relaxed, very scenic location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful all aroundChristopherDined on 11/12/2014This was our first visit to Castle Hill, but we'd been meaning to go for some time. We checked it out during Newport's Restaurant Week (November 2014) and we weren't disappointed. We both had the Restaurant Week special for $35 each. We actually selected fairly mundane-seeming entrees... I had the cannelloni with cream cheese filling and a spinach accompaniment, and my wife had the chicken with risotto, and we both had the fall vegetable ratatouille, and all of them were outstanding. I sampled my wife's chicken, and I really have to say it was the best chicken I've ever had, so moist and flavorful on the inside and a slight crisp outside. The setting at the Inn is stunning, sitting out on the water. Super nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of EverythingLollypopDined on 11/12/2014Our second visit to Castle Hill Inn restaurant was just as elegant as our first, and we'll be returning next weekend with another pair of guests. The food is world class, the service impeccable, the setting Newport waterview at its best. Brava/bravo to all involved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnPDined on 11/11/2014Went for a special ocassion. Always a treat when we can eat at Castle Hill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newbieDined on 11/11/2014Went for lunch during Restaurant Week in November, our first visit. Wonderful in every aspect: the food, the service, the view. Will return when the weather nice in 2015.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Restaurant Week MenuEatoutmoreoftenDined on 11/10/2014We enjoyed an excellent lunch from the Newport Restaurant Week menu. It had excellent choices from smaller entree portions and sandwiches to salads. The Salmon and Scallop Entrees were delicious and also had a pleasing presentation. The Corned Beef sandwich was also a very good choice with Coleslaw and a chick-pea salad. The carrot cake dessert seemed a little dry, but the cheesecake ice-cream topping made up for it. Excellent service, wonderful view, relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The view saves the place.QuilterDined on 11/10/2014We had lunch during restaurant week and many folks were participating. The hostesses were less than pleasant, the food was typical large group fare and the views spectacular.Special Features:
- Wait staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Regina and her night time staff are wonderful !!! We will be back soon for the wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous Newport MustGreatDined on 11/9/2014There is no other Castle Hill! View makes one wonder if there is another spot on the planet that can compare. While the cuisine doesn't quite compare to the scenery, it's getting there.Special Features:
- Amazing view and great foodFloMDined on 11/9/2014Fresh, inventive and well executed cuisine! The place is amazingly beautiful and very nice for lunch with a view on the oceanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Lunch at Castle HillEbuzzDined on 11/9/2014I booked a reservation at Castle Hill through Open Table. We were in town to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. When I made the reservation I noted our anniversary and asked for a table by the window. When we arrived we were greeted by the hostess with, "Happy Anniversary!" and we were seated at the best table in the dining room with a gorgeous view of the water. Each staff member who approached our table wished us a happy anniversary, including the manager. It was Restaurant Week so the menu was set with a few items. We were so impressed and felt very special! The food was delicious and the service outstanding. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. We will definitely return again.Special Features:
- Always a favorite.DianeDPDined on 11/8/2014Elegant but not stuffy dining gem. Food is always presented beautifully and the service is spot-on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week lunchRosie4Dined on 11/8/2014Went here with a group of 6 for lunch. Beautiful setting and great food that made it feel like a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always very goodSatisfiedCustomerDined on 11/8/2014This is a wonderful location with outstanding views and intimate feeling in the restaurant. Must return in warmer weather to enjoy the same good food and service outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic lunchGrammy6Dined on 11/8/2014Great place to bring visitors. Beautiful view...great in the warmer weather when you can sit on the hill with drinks. Food is ok.Special Features:
- Excellent til the last dropJoeTDined on 11/7/2014I came here with my boyfriend as part of our weekend getaway. It just so happened to be restaurant week in newport and we could not pass up the opportunity to dine at such an elegant and fantastic restaurant. The food exceeded up to our expectations and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Whenever I eat out I am rarely impressed with a restaurants coffee. However, the coffee here is fantastic. I was thoroughly impressed with the decaf coffee. We were each served in own little pot of french press coffee. Even the table sugar was not normal table sugar but rather sugar cubes in both white and demerara sugar. Gentlemen should be sure to wear a nice button down shirt and tie.Special Features:
- We were extremely unhappy with food quality.MICKVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were extremely unhappy with food quality, every part of the meal was big disappointment.The service was fine. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- worth the ride out of towneatsinNewportalotDined on 11/7/2014Castle Hill is a very popular summer food venue due to it's outside facilities and view of the harbor. The dinning room for a fall lunch was a much calmer place than in summer and the food was outstanding. The food was very well prepared, presented and served.Special Features:
- npt2dineDined on 11/7/2014Love Castle Hill. Everything is so elegant and welcoming. The service was outstanding, food was perfect, and the view was awesome. We only go there when the summer season is over and things are calmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely DisappointingDidiDined on 10/28/2014The food was horrible. My salad was over-salted to the extent of being inedible. The main course was cold, greasy, and not presented in an appetizing manner. We've had many meals at the Inn at Castle Hill that were perfectly fine and OK, but this visit was really disappointing. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. It is over-priced, pretentious, and the food is dreadful. The service was some-what attentive, but nobody seemed concerned as to whether or not the three of us were pleased with our courses or not. The restaurant was busy, so there was no excuse. Only a third of the tables in the main dining were in use, so there was no reason for poorly prepared cuisine. The one dining room that was open was freezing.Special Features:
- The place has it allCindy623Dined on 10/26/2014Castle Hill Inn is a must stop for a Newport visit. Whether it is an outstanding dining experience or a scenic view with a cocktail in hand you are seeking you will not be disappointed. Brunch is my spot - the eggs benedict over Maine lobster and potato hash is decadent! Pair that with a Blood Orange Bellini and you will be a fan forever. Call for reservations! Our frequent server Hunter is a true gem!Special Features:
- Beautiful ViewEaterNY24Dined on 10/26/2014It was extremely windy so we couldn't enjoy the outside on the adirondack chairs. Still the view is beautiful. The food was very good with different choices for brunch such as lobster hash or lobster roll. The wait staff was very nice and attentive. The clientele was all preppy type which was a little different for an out-of-towner. All al la carte.Special Features:
- Very lovelyLifetimeNewYorkerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Lovely ambience, very good food, warm service -- all in all, an excellent experience -- we would come back again eagerlySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/25/2014An outstanding evening. Chef's Tasting menu was perfect. We included the wine pairings and our server poured different wines for the two of us based on our preferred tastes. Service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/18/2014Food and service outstanding and views during the day are spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Castle Hiil has it All!TuckerVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had such a wonderful evening! The food was beyond great. Service was excellent! It's like going back in time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique restaurant. A Gem!POUSADined on 10/18/2014Great view (in The Lawn), superb service, celestial dishes. Not very pricey. What else do you need?Special Features:
- Great Newport ViewLollypopDined on 10/15/2014Visited for lunch prior to friends' upcoming visit from Chicago. Best lobster roll (and I asked for the cole slaw recipe) ever, and that's saying something in RI. Beautiful view and walkaround space. Definitely will return, bring guests here. Wonderful staff, professional and charming.Special Features:
- The best of fine dining!theopratrDined on 10/14/2014A few of my associates brought an author to speak at one of our events to give a presentation on his work. Having had lunch at Castle Hill a few times, I had no hesitation in recommending that we receive him the night before by taking him out to dinner there. It is rare indeed that one can have a dining experience (fine dining or otherwise) and have absolutely nothing even mildly negative to say. Our table was ready at the exact time that we reserved it. The service was beyond impeccable. The food was out of this world. This is all in addition to the fact that Castle Hill is what I believe to be the most scenic locale within southern New England. For a fantastic dining experience or a romantic night out, Castle Hill will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful SettingBuzzknitDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant has a beautiful view and a quaint atmosphere. Service was prompt and friendly, the Bloody Mary was great and we had a lovely day to watch the sailboats go by. We enjoyed the food as well with some very good choices for a brunch menu. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Our first time at the Castle Hill Inn and it will not be our last. The location, service and food were all excellent. The location and character of the facility is classic sea-side New England. Be prepared for a large final tab. However if the experience is anything like ours, the final cost will be an after thought.Special Features:
- Wonderful MealLenoxVIPDined on 10/11/2014From the courteous and attentive service (from hostess and excellent server, Dan) to the gorgeous plates and sunset, a very memorable evening. The salmon was delicious and beautifully presented. Only disappointment was the hazelnut biscotti, but homemade ice cream was great.Special Features:
- Rabbit was stunning!!AussiefoodieDined on 10/10/2014We loved our dinner here. It's a beautiful spot. I'd like to come here in Summer and eat on the Lawn.Special Features:
- MenuCherylDined on 10/5/2014I wasn't impressed with the choices for Brunch. It was very limited. I had the lobster roll which was tasteless. Overall, it wasn't worth the money.Special Features:
- Kick-off to Great WeekendPhillyGirlDined on 10/3/2014Dining at Castle Hill Inn was an unexpected delight and a great kick-off to a "Girl's Weekend". The wait staff was first class and engaging and the food was excellent. Although it is more expensive than we had planned, it was well worth it!!! We ordered the three course fixed price and it was more than sufficient. We would never have been able to handle the five course fixed price. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.