Castle Hill Inn
590 Ocean Ave
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Castle Hill Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.castlehillinn.com/
- Phone: (401) 849-3885
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sundays, 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday through Friday, 11:30am - 2:00pm; Saturday, 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday through Monday, 5:45pm to 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 5:45pm to 9:00pm
Food: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 7:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 8:30pm
Beverage: Sunday through Thursday, 11:30am to 8:00pm; Friday & Saturday, 11:30am to 9:30pm
Seasonal: Closed for the season
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karsten Hart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Castle Hill Inn is the perfect place to hold your next event. Corporate Events: Private, elegant, Castle Hill Inn offers an appropriate setting for executive meetings and social events. From corporate retreats to fundraisers, lectures, business seminars, reunions, and large cocktail parties, the Castle Hill Inn staff has the experience and flexibility to enhance a variety of occasions. Social Events: Spend your next special occasion with us in Victorian elegance, whether planning an Anniversary, Wedding Shower or Corporate Dinner. We provide award-winning cuisine, exceptional service and the best sunset views in Newport.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Andrade 4012484951x
A word from Castle Hill Inn
The Mansion's chefs artfully craft fresh local fish, regional meats, and produce into a distinctly native, seasonal menu, served in four dining rooms within the Inn. On The Lawn, the epitome of classic New England al fresco dining, think small plates and summer cocktails delivered right to your Adirondack chair. From creative cocktails to appetizers to desserts, imaginative presentation and exceptional taste characterize Castle Hill Inn's fine Dining Experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Castle Hill Inn - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Castle Hill Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (238)special occasion (201)romantic (182)great for outdoor dining (159)fit for foodies (147)great for lunch (124)notable wine list (89)great for brunch (89)good for groups (52)neighborhood gem (44)hot spot (34)kid-friendly (23)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014We were disappointed in our dining experience. We had a 12.15 lunch reservation. Told the table wasn't ready. We waited at the bar for 25 minutes. They had forgotten all about us. This happened to other diners also. The food was okay. Table service was fine, but the waitress forgot our wine. All in all, it was a combination of amateur houe and a couldn't care less attitude. We won't go back.Special Features:
- Slow to get foodLocaldiner1Dined on 8/27/2014My last experience at CH. Was less enjoyable than when I went there for lunch in July . The wraps we ordered were just ok and the fries were terrible but the biggest disappointment was that we had to wait a very long time to get our lunch in spite of an early reservation at 11:30 and we also let our waitress know that we wanted to catch the 1:00 water taxi. While we waited over 40. Minutes to get our lunch we had to dodge a lot of birds that came right onto the table and a yellow jacket bee. We received our check at 12:50 , making it too late to get the CH water taxi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View, ambiance was outstandingJimmyVIPDined on 8/26/2014A must for the sunset, ambiance is excellent. Food was good, service just okSpecial Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/26/2014The best lobster roll in Newport! I had lunch with a friend and we both enjoyed our lobster roll immensely. The staff was courteous and helpful with telling what food item was good to share.Special Features:
- Awesome in every wayWorkinmommieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Gorgeous unforgettable view, impeccable service, delicious food, great wine choices by the glass ( not often you can get Sancerre ). Definite must when you are in newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So amazing!LisaANDRichie3417Dined on 8/26/2014I would drive the 4 hours it took me to get to Rhode Island just for Castle Hill Inn. I missed brunch on Sunday but had lunch there on a Tuesday and everything my Fiance and I ordered was delicious. The scenery is unreal. The staff, food, and service was outstanding. Highly recommend !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Castle HillmaureenDined on 8/23/2014We celebrated our 18th wedding anniversary here with dinner. We were seated in a smaller room with 6-8 tables. Our table had a view of the Newport bridge, was awesome. The room was quiet, which we really enjoyed. The service was great. Brian was our server and he was very attentive, and friendly. He made it a great nite by being so good. Nice touches with bringing over a few glasses of champagne, and very nice touch by wishing us a Happy Anniversary, as i had stated this on the reservation made through open table. It was nice they took the time to read and remember that. Great place. But then again, i am biased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Spot for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014The food was delicious. I had the clam cake appetizer and lobster roll for my lunch. We had my three year old son with me, and there were other children at the restaurant too, including babies. It was very child friendly. At $50 a person for lunch, I usually reserve this spot for a once a summer treat.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceNano40Dined on 8/22/2014Service and good are excellent, planing to come back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbTheaterdinerDined on 8/22/2014Great food and service, and the view cannot be beat!Special Features:
- great2bdiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014First time at Castle Hill Inn for dinner. We had a great experience. Was there for a birthday celebration and the food, drink and dessert was very gourmet. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant. We never had to wait for anything. We certainly were treated very well. Would definitely go back. Want to experience the beautiful scenery and view during the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FeedbackfeedbackDined on 8/21/2014Last time I visited Castle Hill there were outside loveseats/couches and a live music (singer) - what a wonderful spot to sit and enjoy your before dinner cocktail and/or coffee/dessert or after dinner cocktail. "tho the outdoor seating is inviting and enjoyable I missed that amenity. I particularly noticed that the customers were attired in nicer clothing than my previous visit. At that time, I felt the customers were way underdressed and it spoiled the "specialness" and the ambience of this dining treasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionGardenGirlDined on 8/20/2014This was our first visit to Castle Hill Inn. I received a gift card for my recent retirement which we used for our dinner. We arrived in time for our 7:00 reservation, so there wasn't time to walk around the grounds. Went back the next day to walk the grounds, see the lighthouse & yake pictures Beautiful setting! Just wish everything wasn't so expensive .... we added to our $250 gift card, to cover the tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foreverfoodiesDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I decided to celebrate our 25th anniversary here, and we definitely picked the best venue. We arrived ahead of our reservation time and spent an hour having cocktails on the lovely lawn with its breathtaking view of the water. Afterwards, we went inside and sat in the dining room, where we were warmly greeted by the staff. Our server was amazingly attentive and spent a good deal of time with us, sharing information on the food and wine and determining our needs. All of the staff made us feel very much at home and welcome, and we loved the glasses of champagne that were brought out when we mentioned our purpose for the evening's celebration. Everything was simply perfect, and we look forward to returning next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming, as alwaysSeriousTravelGalDined on 8/20/2014Nothing in Newport equals Castle Hill for setting, as the view is unsurpassed by virtue of its location. High on the hill overlooking the entrance to Newport harbor, the cool breeze made a very hot day delightful and the view of sailboats plying the waters back and forth was picture-perfect. The service, even on a crowded summer day, was very good, and the lobster rolls excellent. Even the valet parking staff were lightning-quick in taking and retrieving our cars. I drove 1 1/2 hours to get there and it was well worth it. I look forward to a return engagement.Special Features:
- roomwithaviewDined on 8/19/2014The experience at Castle Hill was wonderful. Although we didn't need a reservation it was helpful that we had one as they had saved us a perfect table closest to the water. The view was spectacular. Both the service and the food were impeccable. The pace was leisurely. While the service was prompt we did not feel at all rushed. We would highly recommend the restaurant for a special lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will become your favoriteflowergirlDined on 8/18/2014The tasting menu is a wonderful way to dine. Even if you pick the simplest choice - the fried green tomatoes, for example - the preparation is excellent, the presentation is beautiful. I would suggest the four-course menu, with two appetizers, which we did, since all the courses are a bit small. They are perfect though, and sufficient together for a great and memorable meal.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every wayZsaZsaDined on 8/18/2014AMAZING!!! Must dine here when in Newport! Glorious site. Impecable service, specialty drinks were so delightful! Food... incomparable!Special Features:
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I consider Castle Hill to be our favorite restaurant. We have been to many restaurants around the world but nothing beats the food, service and ambience of Castle Hill. We are blessed to be fairly close and visit at least twice per year. It is too special a place to go more frequently. The sunset, while we were contemplating our wine and then coffee/desert, was a special treat this visit. We already look forward to our next visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobybDined on 8/17/2014We had a great time. The food was amazing and the view spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible view, great foodmeyerwooVIPDined on 8/15/2014You can't beat the view of Newport Bridge from the lawn, while sitting on an Adirondack or enjoying your lunch outdoors. Great good, great service, great view. A summer tradition for us whenever we visit Newport.Special Features:
- Best views in NewportKkhesterVIPDined on 8/14/2014A memorable birthday lunch on The Lawn- perfect service, knowledgable waitstaff. Salads were very good; tuna appetizer with jalapeño jam was a favorite. Great spot - make reservation ahead of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/12/2014We had a four course dinner with wine pairing. Our waiter was outstanding! He was very attentive but he gave us plenty of time to talk with our friends, look over the menu and make our choices. We were not rushed. We were treated like royalty. I will definitely returnand highly recommend Castle Hill for a special evening. The food was amazing! The view of the sunset was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - excellent viewCulinary1234Dined on 8/11/2014The food was good but the view was amazing. Service tableside was EXCELLENT. The seating hostess (lady and gentleman) not so much. A bit snooty and not very friendly. With that being said, we always go back because it's so beautiful there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class lunch with a viewCharlieDined on 8/11/2014We recently had lunch at the Castle Hill Inn. The overall experience was outstanding. Let's start with the superb food. The oysters were fresh, chilled properly and very tasty. Our party had the grilled swordfish and the lobster and fluke etouffe. Both were excellent. for drinks we had Greyhounds and a nice Kim Crawford Sav Blanc. The service was excellent. Efficient but unobtrusive. The setting can only be described as outstanding. Being August, we sat outside on the terrace. All the tables have excellent water views. The day was beautiful. Sunny ad temperatures in the high 70's with a slight breeze. This created an ever changing view with the boats cruising by. Good value for the money at a high end restaurant.Special Features:
- one of the bestBerylVIPDined on 8/10/2014Inn at Castle Hill is one of the best dining spots in the country. It is as cosistently outstanding as it was in our experiences there over the past 20 years. Well worththe price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous !!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Wonderful staff, delicious food and unbelievable view! Your visit to Newport is not complete without lunch at Castle Hill.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTSqBearandLucyDined on 8/8/2014I gave them a huge review on Yelp. Loved every bit of this entire experience. I will most definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience Inn at Castle HilltjjeVIPDined on 8/4/2014Always a fabulous experience. Beautiful views, attentive service, fabulous meals - a joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than your average best spot.RED1Dined on 8/4/2014Great spot for lunch or dinner. Outdoor seating is a must during good weather. Overlooks Narragansett bay with views of the ships going by, the outer harbor, Newport bridge, Jamestown and fort Adams. Menu is very good. A bit pricey but worth it for special occasions. Staff is very knowledgeable and the food is excellently prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, friendly but not wowTravelingAngelDined on 8/3/2014We've been coming to the Inn at Castle Hill for years although it had been a while. Our 29th anniversary and we were excited by the jazz brunch. When we arrived, we were greeted by very friendly hostesses and sat inside because of weather. There was no jazz. I'd pictured live music but there wasn't any. I think there may have been jazz piped into the outdoor area, but not really what I'd call a "jazz brunch." Waitress was lovely, service good, food okay. English muffin wasn't fully toasted with my eggs Benedict, which was average. Dessert was meh and not a great selection - probably why most people around us ordered ice cream. I still love this place for the view and history. Just wish I'd been wow'ed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!DowntonDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I have dined at the Castle Hill Inn for over 20 years. Recently, the deterioration of the culinary aspect has become quite apparent to our chagrin. The menu is extremely limited and not well prepared. Daniel was our outstanding and very knowledgeable server who made the experience tolerable. The chef should be ashamed of the quality of fare. The duck was tough and undercooked, the pork offering was also bland and tough. The deconstructed "strawberries and cream" was tasteless. The Castle Hill Inn no longer even serves clam chowder. When they did, it was so watery that it was laughable. The cookie dough soufflé redeemed the dinner. It looks as if we'll be looking for another place to dine in the future. The Spiced Pear?Special Features:
- 5 Stars Across the BoardJTaylorOfNYCDined on 8/1/2014It was pretty magical...one of the high spots of our trip. Not only was the food great, but the service was spectacular and lastly, the views set a moment that will not soon be forgotten. Put this one on your list if you plan to visit Newport and tell them you'd like to eat outdoors!Special Features:
- Will make any day or event special!LynnVIPDined on 8/1/2014We pulled into town and headed straight for Castle Hill. Their outdoor dining is a step above any others. Their servers are young but passionate about their job and newport! Which is rare. We loved every minute of our experience there. The brushetta appetizer is a must. The oysters were so fresh and delicious. The lobster roll made my mouth water before I even took a bite. My husband got the filet wrap special and it was amazing as well! Just over the top good!Special Features:
- Great summer lunchStefanaDined on 7/31/2014I had just recommended Castle Hill for lunch for some friends vacationing on the Cape who were on their way to Newport for the day. My son and i dined there the next day. Comparing notes, it was a big success for both parties. Great menu, great service and lovely location. Pricey but worth it for a special day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GorgeousfranklymydearDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed a a magical evening with special friends at this heavenly location. The setting is gorgeous, the food amazing and the service outstanding. Do not miss a night here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So terrific!TheaterdinerDined on 7/29/2014With that wonderful view, great service, and excellent food (sumptuous lobster salad), it is one of my favorite spots of the summer. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 7/28/2014With my handsome husband, excellent food, great wine, spectacular view, what a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary. Thank you Castle Hill Staff.Special Features:
- Amazing!Patti2013Dined on 7/26/2014A wonderful location and the view is just to die for! Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. Truly made this a unique experience. We will surely return.Special Features:
- The following 953 reviews are from the Castle Hill Inn reviews archive.
- Don't go on a budgetnicknamenicknameVIPDined on 7/26/2014Excellent food, service and particularly good presentation. We had the three course which is the least expensive of the set menu options. Courses were not huge but satisfactory. The waiter explained the composition of each dish beautifully. The view of Narragansett Bay's East Passage is, of course, unbelievable. Boats can come within about twenty feet of the rocks and are visible across the extensive lawn. A must visit in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.