Castello Ristorante - Fairmont Banff Springs
405 Spray Avenue
Banff, AB T1L1J4Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Castello Ristorante - Fairmont Banff Springs
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fairmont.com/banff-springs/dining/
- Phone: (403) 762-6860
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Friday - Tuesday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: j.W. Foster
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Celebrate in style at Castello Ristorante in the Fairmont Banff Springs. Let the divine flavors of Italy whisk you away, while you and your guests enjoy exceptional service to make your special event one to remember.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Pearce 8886415709
- Public Transit: There is a bus service run by the town which runs approximately every 40 minutes into Banff.
Fare is $2.00 per person.
The bus operates daily from 6:35 a.m. until 11:15 p.m.
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: The hotel"s parking is located beside the Convention Center. It is a three-level roofed parkade with 415 parking spaces:
Self-parking: $25 CAD/night, with unlimited access
Valet service: $35 CAD/night, with unlimited access
Electric Vehicles - complimentary
The Fairmont Banff Springs along with Sun Country Highway Ltd, a manufacturer of electric vehicle charging stations has installed Banff's first electric vehicle charging station, in the hotel's parkade.
A word from Castello Ristorante - Fairmont Banff Springs
Submerge yourself into the divine flavours of Italy at Castello Ristorante. Combine exquisite cuisine with an authentic atmosphere and you will see why so many guests favor this Italian Courtyard. Finish the evening off right with one of our delectable desserts and a sip of Limoncello.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Castello Ristorante - Fairmont Banff Springs - Best Restaurants in Banff ›
Castello Ristorante - Fairmont Banff Springs reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)romantic (17)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (11)scenic view (10)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- BurnedfoodloverDined on 11/15/2014Horrible meal....speedy service when we wanted to relax. Not sure why. I ordered the chicken marsala with roasted veggies and the veggies were completely black burned and tasted that way. Also the marsala sauce was overcooked and tasted burned (possibly because of the veggies) and it was so salty. I looked at my partner and questioned how it could even leave the kitchen that way. So disappointed. Also, we entered the restaurant at our reservation time and were promptly seated. The restaurant was not busy and yet we were in and out of there is less than one hour. I wanted a nice leisurely dinner and thought we would get as much but it was too fast....tells me the meals were already pre done, especially my burned vegetables
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014Great Italian food and very friendly staff! Never a disappointment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our meal very much, service was superb!fluffyDined on 11/8/2014Very accommodating in changing our reservation time, had a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner at the castleLiketotrynewplacesDined on 11/1/2014Food was wonderful! Service was fantastic as expected when dining at a Fairmont restaurant. Waiter very attentive. Would definitely go back. Food is priced well, not that expensive. Wine and cocktail prices get you however.Special Features:
- DisappointingMs123VIPDined on 10/25/2014Castello looks like a grand dining room on the Fairmont website but is actually much smaller. We chose it for a very special occasion but were disappointed. The atmosphere was loud versus intimate and the food really didn't live up to expectations. The one good thing was the service but for an expensive meal, would not return.
- Average food, above average pricesLisaVIPDined on 10/12/2014The setting is quite lovely. The food is alright however the prices are quite high. There is a nice variety of items to choose from on the menu. My son had the lamb for $40 and it was a good size portion. I had the gnocchi in lobster ragu and was pleasantly surprised to get two big pieces of lobster claw. The bottle of wine that we ordered for $95 is typically closer to $70 at Mercato in Calgary. The caprese salad was a disappointment. The heirloom tomatoes were mushy. They were cut nicely, so it seemed as if they were cut/prepared in advance and perhaps put in a too cold refrigerator. I sent the dish back and it was removed from the bill.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We were disappointed in our choice of restaurant. From the website we expected a better view and more ambiance. Although the service was pleasant and friendly, the restaurant was noisy and food was average.Special Features:
- Very please!SteviewhyDined on 10/11/2014My date and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The food was rich and tasty and the service very good.Special Features:
- All Around ExcellentHerbDined on 10/6/2014The local lake trout dish was the best I have ever had in my life. Chef JP is doing some really lovely things here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very classyChrismazDined on 10/5/2014Great place for a romantic dinner. We recently went for wedding anniversary and have an amazing time and amazing meal and an amazing experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014The food is amazing, ambiance and staff are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would rather have gone elsewhereWineAndDineMeDined on 9/22/2014The white statue that's in the virtual tour was not there taking away from the romantic setting I was hoping for, the tables were packed so close together that intimate conversation was impossible, the wines I requested were out of stock on the menu, the rack of lamb I paid $41 for left me hungry, the espresso machine was not in working form so I couldnt receive the dessert I choose or an after dinner latte, my partner had a view of the swinging kitchen doors that was far from picturesque since the statue was removed .. We regret spending the large amount that we did and I would not recommend this restaurant.. We went to the Waldhaus the next night and loved it!!!! Very dissapionted in Castello!!!
- Classy ItalianHolidayFoodieDined on 9/13/2014Excellent Italian dining. This is a nice gem tucked inside the Fairnont hotel. Everyone in our party was impressed and satisfied.Special Features:
- Great experience!Jan26Dined on 9/1/2014Our server kristy was very helpful and friendly and very accommodating for my gluten allergy!! We were also very impressed with the wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary at the CastelloJasperDined on 8/31/2014We made reservations about a month in advance. They gave us a nice window seat. The waiter was wonderful and the food was very good. I would recommend this restaurant but make sure you get reservations, they are small and were turning away a lot of people.Special Features:
- Top locationEugene123Dined on 8/25/2014First time in Canada, and please, make no mistake to compare it with the USA! Very good food, quality service and great ambiance. To be honest: European style. Beautiful porpotions, quality instead of quantity, and that's a great compliment!Special Features:
- Best Italian by a long shotDine1Dined on 8/22/2014Not often can you combine great food and great service. Castello nailed it!Special Features:
- Fabulous FoodSpecialtreatDined on 8/21/2014We both had the Veal and it was amazing. Each mouthful was a delicious experience. I was impressed also by the beautiful presentation as well as how the flavours enhanced one another. Cooked to perfection. We also ordered special coffees which were the best I've ever had. Such attention to detail: the rim of the glass was dusted with cinnamon and brown sugar. The drink was presented on a saucer with a chocolate dipped biscotti and a cinnamon stick in the coffee for another added extra. It was a wonderful dinner experience that I won't soon forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014I know I shouldn't expect anything from a hotel restaurant but at the Banff Springs there is little choice in such a small town. Food was really poor; waitress didn't even know how to pronouce italian food names! Really??
- OutstandingEnglishDined on 8/19/2014We were on vacation in Banff with another couple. We wanted that special memory of our stay in Banff. I suggested your Castello's Restaurant because I have eaten there in April this year. I am pleased to report that we had a marvelous experience. The Menu, wine, and service was outstanding. We would highly recommend this restaurant for that special and memorable occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceStephDined on 8/17/2014Great server, great food, excellent wine and the server was able to recommend things that fit our price range and personalities :) Excellent night and the ambience was quite enough to not have us shouting, but it felt good to hear the other tables around us enjoying themselves as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 64 reviews are from the Castello Ristorante - Fairmont Banff Springs reviews archive.
- Nice surpriseDannyDined on 7/21/2014If you are looking for lots of variety this is not the restaurant for you. If you are looking for outstanding food cooked simply and to perfection this is the restaurant for you. The pasta is obviously home made. They do not make it swim in sauces or gravy. The wine list is also not large but all Italian and some real gems to choose from as perfect pairings. The garlic clove spread for the butter is superb. The Lemon Semifredo for dessert is a must!Special Features:
- Expected betterLJoanneDined on 7/14/2014We have eaten here before and enjoyed it so decided to try again. The service was great, friendly and efficient. The ambiance is elegant and fairly quiet. The wine list has a good selection. The menu is very limited but varied. We chose calamari to start. It was ok, not the best ever and the portion was small for the price. We both opted for the steak dinner. The sauce was tasty but a bit salty. The steak was tough and overcooked from the medium we asked for. I think steak is best left to a steak house! The best part of the meal was the bread, served with roasted garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. We expected better at the Banff Springs.Special Features:
- Great new menuTaniaDined on 7/2/2014Finally had a chance to try the new menu and ordered the Chicken Marsala and the Grilled Alberta Striploin. Amazing! Marsala sauce was wonderful with the exotic mushrooms and gnocchi. Striploin was really well done, moist too. And thanks for bringing back the GARLIC!!!Special Features:
- Nice dining...DiningProVIPDined on 6/20/2014Our reservations were honored on time although Castello Ristorante was very busy. The service was very good and attentive even with the wait staff constantly busy from pouring water, to discussing the menu, to taking orders, to pouring wine, etc. Paul was our waiter and seemed to be everywhere! The menu choices were varied and offered selections of Italian cuisine. The wine list was limited to Italian wines but still offered great choices. The food was very good however it was more salty than we felt necessary. The dining experience was good and we are glad we tried the Castello Ristorante, but we recommend you request no to low salt for your entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014The food was great but a touch pricy. This place is for a special occasion. Service was good, nice restaurant but again, pricy for a pasta dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Miiss this onepinonranch1Dined on 6/6/2014The food was unacceptable. Ribeye steak instead of Florentine, as ordered. Did not have the wine we wanted. Meat was over cooked on one end and medium rare on the other. Ordered rare. Very pretentious and made no attempt to apologize.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/3/2014If you are looking for a nice restaurant in Banff, I would suggest going elsewhere. I booked this online before arriving at Banff Springs Hotel, thinking that it would have a nice view and good food. However, the view was out onto a traffic circle. The ambiance felt like a cafeteria. The food was nothing special, especially considering the price.
- Real Italian2onholsDined on 6/2/2014Excellent food with great service. The restaurant is very pleasant to just sit in with plenty of space between the tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Castello Ristorante - excellent!CelebratingAnniversaryDined on 5/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Castello Ristorante at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. The service was outstanding!! Everyone from the front greeters who sat us, to the servers, and coffee servers, they were friendly, professional, happy to be there and glad we came to their restaurant . They made us feel welcome. The food was first class, from the appetizers, main dish and dessert. Our table was ready when we arrived and we were not rushed out for the next seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!CarolDined on 5/23/2014Never knew Spaghetti and Meatballs can blow me away like Castello's did. Everyone enjoyed their steaks, chicken, and especially those risotto balls, MUST TRY. You will not regret it.Special Features:
- Bring your appetite!BanffDinerDined on 5/18/2014Wonderfully personable service of an absolutely amazing meal. From appetizers to dessert (thankfully with enough space in between to truly welcome the next course), everything was a treat to the taste buds! My husband is still raving about his coffee at the end of the meal, something I've never heard him do before! The risotto balls were a creamy melt in your mouth delight and the halibut so firm and fresh. Make sure to leave room for dessert! We had the panna cotta and the bread pudding - both delightful. I can't say enough about the excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant venue with amazing viewActionExpresDined on 5/3/2014An excellent choice for very special occasions. The view of the surrounding hotel and mountains is awesome, and the service is great. I took my wife there for our anniversary and they brought us a plate with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate. The only downside are the high prices for the rather small portions of food. As I mentioned before, I would only recommend it for special occasions unless you're rich.Special Features:
- Good food but way over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/29/2014Food was good but not worth 40 for a steak. Gnocchi decent lamb was good still all way over priced for what you get. Meat was tender and sides were nothing special or what you normally get at a high end high priced restaurant. Service was good but lacked personality. Tables are very close to each other as well. Was good and a good experience but would not return to that restaurant when we return to Banff.Special Features:
- Little hideawayArleneDined on 4/26/2014Started with breaded risotto balls. Very crispy, light and tasty. Then tomato and buffalo cheese which was to salty with olive tampanade. Tomatoes were not quite ripe. Hubby had a Ceaser salad which was crisp but rather bland. Spaghetti and veal meatballs was tasty but not over the moon. Hubby had Osso bucco which was rich, very nice. Our server was pleasant. Scenery from the dining area was spectacular from wherever you sat.
- Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Waiter was great ! Went out of his way to accommodate all our requests. Food was good! Meal was not rushed. Good timing for all courses. Portions were not oversize - just right so you could eat it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service5BlueDined on 3/22/2014The meal was good. The halibut was tasty and the seafood pasta was excellent. The service was outstanding. We dined with a young toddler who was unfortunately tired. The staff were accommodating, kind and supportive of our efforts to keep her entertained and calm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Great service.DavidDined on 3/9/2014The Castello is very small and has a very warm atmosphere. My wife and I both enjoyed the experience overall, and our waiter was especially very helpful and attending to our needs without being overbearing. The salads we had were both very good as was the bread they served first. Our entrees were both very well made and our desserts were delicious. I have no complaints at all, but as this is one of the pricier options at the Fairmont Banff Springs, expect to walk away with a much lighter wallet than you were anticipating. We didn't even order wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enchanting eveningexquisiteDined on 2/22/2014Paul the waiter was very good at looking after us and explaining the menu, his recommendations were spot on. Food was very good, wine was good as well. As a spot in Banff this was right near the top. It is not quite as elegant as some of the finer Calgary spots. Very well worth the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in BanffFoodieCalgaryVIPDined on 1/25/2014This is one of our very favorite restaurants in Banff. The food is tasty, lots of well balanced flavours and the service is quite personalized. We'll be back.