Castagna - San Francisco
2015 Chestnut Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Castagna - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.castagnasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 440-4290
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour - Tuesday thru Friday: 5 - 6 pm
Dinner - Sunday & Tuesday thru Thursday: 5 - 9:30 pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5 - 10 pm
Weekend Brunch - Saturday & Sunday: 10:30 am - 5 pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Meloni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The whole restaurant is available for buyout.
- Private Party Contact: Jerome Meloni 4154404290x
- Cross Street: Fillmore St.
- Public Transit: Muni lines 22, 30, 30X, 43.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. There is also a parking lot at Wells Fargo Bank on Chestnut three doors down from Castagna (between Fillmore & Steiner), and another lot on Pierce (between Lombard & Chestnut).
A word from Castagna - San Francisco
Castagna is a chef-owned neighborhood bistro and wine bar featuring "sun-kissed" cuisine from Provence and the neighboring coastal regions of Southern France and the Italian Riviera. Dine al fresco with a leisurely weekend brunch at our sidewalk tables, enjoy a candlelight dinner in our intimate dining room, or grab a glass of wine at the bar for a view of our lively exhibition kitchen. We offer dinner six days a week (closed on Mondays) along with weekend brunch service. We also offer Happy Hour with food and drink specials every Tuesday thru Friday from 4 - 6 pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Castagna - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)fit for foodies (32)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (10)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (8)hot spot (6)great for lunch (5)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Tres BienOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Tuna Tartare was superb. Service was wonderful. Very cozy little gem on Chestnut and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014A special little spot when you want not the usual - genuine french provencal cuisine as you might have the good fortune to stumble upon around Nice. Pates, steaks, beef stew, ratatouille worth any San Francisco diner's time and enjoyment. The real deal. A definite repeat.Special Features:
- MollyMollyDined on 10/31/2014Always a delight. From the gracious staff to the excellent food, a notable experience. I look forward to our next time. MerciSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood french bistrombe2014Dined on 10/26/2014We have eaten at Castagna several times.We highly recommend this unpretentious bistro run by two friendly brothers from Nice serving authentic food from their native region. A mix of French and Italian cuisine, the menu also reflects seasonal changes. They have typical dishes from Nice besides salade nicoise such as petits farcis ( stuffed vegetables ), beignets de fleurs de courgettes ( fried zucchini flowers ) and daube ( a beef stew )as well as traditional dishes such as mussels in white wine and beef steak. Reasonable prices, good selection of wines by the glass or the bottle and great food make this restaurant one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superbAnnaVIPDined on 10/24/2014The service is outstanding. This is the type of restaurant you can go back to many times. It is small and intimate and the service staff will remember you. The food is French and outstanding.Special Features:
- Castagnahsim49Dined on 10/19/2014The owner was super nice letting our large group take over the patio and change around our reservation a couple times before coming in. The food was awesome too! We were all just finishing a half marathon so needless to say we were starving and the chicken sandwich with au jou just hit the spot! To top off the experience we ordered a liter of mimosas for brunch and ended up with a good bit more than a liter because there was "extra", never a bad problem to have. Awesome experience and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Magnifique!spuddDined on 10/18/2014We picked it at random from the list of closest restaurants on the OpenTable app, and were not disappointed! Great staff, great food. Would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/17/2014My wife and I booked while up the rd at a nearby wine bar and arrived fairly early in the evening for dinner. The menu is classic French bistro with a fairly good and well priced selection of wines. The place has a real French buzz with all the staff native speakers and very Gallic noises coming from the kitchen :-) What really impressed me with the service was despite some initial confusion about the starter order (their French and my Aussie accents) the smooth delivery of the meal ensued. Attentive, relaxed and not in your face - the real French deal. Straight up, fresh flavors with the subtle combinations of slow cooked casseroles. We both had a lovely night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeAcme2Dined on 10/8/2014I love the food wine was great my only complain was the at the bar we could not move too many chairs and at the table the sit was higher than the table hard to eat Service wAs great a little small for a big party (no more than 4) I thinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kostyaDined on 10/5/2014Great place I like the feel of an authentic tiny family European restaurant. Staff speaks French.Special Features:
- another Gem in the Marina of SFNGM6Dined on 9/27/2014My husband & I have dined here about 6 times. It is now our favorite restaurant in the Marina. Although very small, (only about 8 tables + bar seating), food is exquisitely prepared & very delicious!! Cuisine is from Nice, France, with a touch of Italian. Service is outstanding, but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MKS2Dined on 9/23/2014The food was excellent with many delicious flavors. The wait staff was particularly helpful.Special Features:
- Attitude!thereaderkatDined on 9/12/2014I don't know about you, but when we dine out we appreciate professional, friendly service. We had dinner recently with four friends and initially believed we had found just such a place for our evening meal. One of our party, however, had the temerity to ask our waiter about the preparation of a pasta dish--his response was so condescending that it was not to be believed!! As it turned out, our entrees were uneven--sea bass was great, ratatouille not so great; and that pasta...well, nothing special. In fairness, I have to say that the rest of the staff--bus boys--were very pleasant and professional. There are so many excellent restaurants in San Francisco that I seriously doubt any of us will return to this particular one.
- Wonderful staff, food - Marina findanonymousVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had the mussels, bruschetta, squash blossoms, beef stew w/ ravioli, and apple crisp - all wonderful. This is a little French Bistro that feels like Paris - we ate on the street amidst foot and street traffic and the attentive wait staff took care of us beautifully. Shout out to the wonderful Bastian - a young man from the South of France that made our experience exceptionally memorable. We WILL be returning.Special Features:
- A Local's reviewLocalResidentDined on 9/6/2014Some weeks ago my wife and I stopped in for lunch. The sandwiches were great and we decided we would come back and have dinner. My wife ordered a Chickpea dish which she thoroughly enjoyed. I ordered Beef Stew with small ravioli. The beef (brisket) was very dry while the ravioli were tough and chewy. ( we heard the customer at the next table make the same comment to his guest). We also had to ask twice for cream for our after dinner coffee. While I might return for sandwiches, we have no plans to return for dinner.
- bistro funjasCAVIPDined on 8/30/2014Mussels with frites- exceptional, as was Pasqals' serviceSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood Gemluv2dineVIPDined on 8/29/2014Cute, modern and clean (very important) little bistro, the food was so delicious I can go back every week, and the service was just excellent and impeccable! What more can I say, everything definitely surpassed my expectations! Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Castagna rocks!NatalyaSVIPDined on 8/24/2014We discovered this gem few years ago! Ate there few times and it was outstanding! We could not wait until they reopen! With a very short menu they succeed to rock every dish! We loved every bite! Kids asked for another round of chicken fingers! Outstanding! So happy they are back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marina GemSFfoodieDined on 8/13/2014Food is excellent, wonderful presentation. Staff is very friendly. Chef stopped by each table to see how everything was. Very quaint restaurant. My favorite in the Marina.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurantRS0707Dined on 8/2/2014We drove all the way from Peninsula to the restaurant. It is a good one if I was in the neighborhood but not a destination. Food is good (not great) but the menu is limited. Very tight seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, great service!AngelaDined on 7/26/2014The food was delicious! French Mediterranean cuisine. Definitely try the cod. Service was great too. Our table wasn't ready for 14 minutes when we first arrived but we sat outside and were given complimentary sparkling wine. Very romantic spot.Special Features:
- CPMcDined on 7/25/2014I love the food/wine I love the owners and servers I love the outdoor and indoor seating... what more would i ask for!! It is like eating with family at one of my favorite french bistros n the Riviera! Love you guys, thank you!!Special Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Castagna - San Francisco reviews archive.
- Always wonderfulMollyDined on 7/18/2014Castagna always exceeds my expectations. Walking in you are welcomed into a little piece of France. I am never disappointed and always look forward to 'next time'. Merci for a wonderful experience, every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemJenniferVIPDined on 7/11/2014The service has been great both times I have dined here. They are attentive and friendly. I mentioned I had left my to go container the previous time and was disappointed because my meal had been so good and they brought out a little bowl of the pasta I had forgotten! The food has been delicious - the squash blossom appetizer!! We kept wanting to order more. Look forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencesujetDined on 7/5/2014Even the parking wasn't bad on Saturday morning in the Marina, where we found a spot around the corner on Fillmore where there are actually some curb spots long enough for an SUV. My husband is always seeking the perfect Eggs Benedict, and Castagna's was the "best (he'd) had in a long while." The Hollandaise, which I tasted and thought needed more lemon, was perfect for him because the lemon was subtle. My Salade Nicoise was very good, and included small slices of rare Ahi and strips of anchovies, hard-boiled egg, green beans, olives, etc. around a center of arugula. The house coffee, regular, was excellent, and my latte was very good. I think I'd get the regular black coffee next time because the flavor was so good, chocolatey and rich.Special Features:
- Reinventing an old favoriteFillmoeDined on 6/28/2014We have been following the owners from their original restaurant on Steiner/Sutter to Chestnut because we love the food, and because the owners always make us feel as if we're old friends. We were so sorry when a fire forced closure on Chestnut for about a year. The new version of Castagna is more wine bar, less casual lunch. We haven't tried the new dinner menu yet, but the brunch menu was the same as formerly - very good, but short. All ingredients are the freshest, and any kitchen shortcuts taken are not apparent, but enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Authentic french CuisineLarrySVIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was authentic , the service perfect, and the presentation beautiful. They were also delightful in handling my granddaughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy spot on ChestnutdinerdeliteVIPDined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed a fish dinner, and a citrusy house salad, w/almonds. The service felt a little rushed; eg, the lady kept coming to the table re-filling the wine glasses, however, all the food was good, and we were on our way to a movie, so it was fine. If we were wanting a more relaxed evening, I might have complained. A nice, convenient spot in the Marina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic dinnerTowellVIPDined on 6/17/2014Gracious, friendly, professional host and staff; kitchen produces top notch, generous plates of traditional French/Med cuisine with a few novel twists/updates but all still close to original or what you would expect if you are familiar with highest quality home-style recipes from that part of the world, upped several notches to restaurant quality. All staff we encountered are original French speakers but fluent in English; about half the clients on two visits are francophones. Narrow room, close-quarters to neighbors, similar to what you'd encounter in France. This is one of our neighborhood favorite spots.Special Features:
- 26 Seats ~ Better Grab One Quick!HermansDined on 6/14/2014The exterior, somewhat deceiving ~ the interior, surprisingly modern and efficient yet intimate! Unique menu with something for everyone's palate and price. The owner is charming yet watchful which makes for a pleasant atmosphere and beautifully prepared and presented plates. The sea bass with black olive mashed potatoes was perfect. The monk fish stew served over zucchini spaghetti was meaty yet light and flavorful. Both went nicely with the side of ratatouille served moist and uniquely molded. Apple crisp for dessert ~ to die for! Service was attentive but just a bit brisk....who can blame them when a line is forming outside willing you out of your seat?! So glad we made a reservation!Special Features:
- Travel to France in the MarinapepperepperVIPDined on 6/12/2014Delightful ambience and great food. Outstanding, personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good French/Italian mixNickTDined on 5/31/2014The owners of the restaurant (one of whom was our server and was a very nice guy) told us he grew up near Nice, France -- which meant they have a lot of influence from Italy and not just France. This results in a menu with both French and Italian flavored food items. I loved the sea bass, while my wife had a seafood pasta, which was also really good. Desserts were also very tasty. I had caramelized apple-filled beignets (amazing), while my wife had a really good creme brûlée (very good). Definitely recommend this restaurant... but beware -- especially if you are seated inside near the front window -- it is extremely loud and can be hard to hear your dinner companion without raising your voice, which means the restaurant gets even noisier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HelenWWVIPDined on 5/31/2014Everything was perfect, from the food to the service. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood favoriteMollyDined on 5/23/2014So happy the boys are back on Chestnut Street. We missed them so when they had to close for revenvations after a fire. But, they persevered and have come back better than ever. Their menu offers new and exciting things, the wine list is great and service is outstanding. A delightful stop for a glass of Kir and a nibble or a romantic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDoodelsVIPDined on 5/17/2014So glad it's back in business. Interesting menu and great, attentive service. Everything we ordered was delicious DBS great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CastagnaHappydinerDined on 5/15/2014This was a wonderful surprise. I checked Open Table for a restaurant near Ft. Mason and was delighted by our first (but definitely not last) visit. The menu offered authentic Southern French dishes, with specials such as squash blossom beignets. Everything was beautifully presented and delicious. The service was friendly and professional. This is a gem for those who love real French food in a charming atmosphere!Special Features:
- Petite: Française for small...IndaknowVIPDined on 5/10/2014A cute petite place with a few petite tables, a Provençal-oriented menu with some traditional Italian items from across the border ::: Pleasant staff, a good wine list ::: We started with petite slices of so-so baguette with petite butter, then moved onto starters: a fine green salad and some meat-stuffed vegetables, lukewarm and overstuffed with meat ::: Our mains could have been better: the Chilean Sea Bass was fine, served with mashed potatoes and zero vegetables (hence, boring), and the Beef Stew was une petite salty ::: Chose a cheese platter for dessert for $16, it had the most petite slices of cheese, including an overpowering blue ::: At $200 for three diners, we were une petite disappointed...
- Welcome Back!SusanVIPDined on 5/10/2014This was our first visit back since the reopening of the restaurant after the fire. Upon arriving we were once again warmly greeted by owner and staff. The remodel has updated the space and it appears to seat a few more guests. This restaurant is friendly, cozy and offers some of the best food available in the Cow Hollow/Marina neighborhoods. For the wine drinkers, their offering is excellent without breaking the budget. But to most important comment on a restaurant - the food is better than ever! The menu offers something for everyone from the pizza loving child to the foodie in some of us. We are always a party of three (mother-in-law lives in the neighborhood) and tried multiple items and sampled from each. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Provence loversCynSDined on 5/8/2014This is a little gem for Provence lovers! Southern France fresh delicious dishes served with a smile and most welcoming staff. Located in great neighborhood, decorated with taste this little spot has everything to please the most francophiles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic after recent re-openingTowellVIPDined on 5/2/2014Truly wonderful professional-grade version of 'home-cooking' with hospitable co-owners host+chef in this small and energetic venue. Though still getting their routines down, the staff are very professional, friendly and accommodating. Menu is on the smaller side as is appropriate for a place of this size, but an excellent variety. Everything we ordered, as well as what we saw on surrounding tables, was/looked terrific. And the vibe was a bunch of very satisfied diners. The only downside, not the restaurant's fault: noise level was deafening - if you have loud table-neighbors, it's problematic. Alas this is more the rule these days at American restaurants. Wine list notable for reasonable prices and selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.