Castagna - San Francisco
2015 Chestnut Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Castagna - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.castagnasf.com/
- Phone: 4154404290x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour - Tuesday thru Friday: 4 - 6 pm
Dinner - Sunday & Tuesday thru Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Weekend Brunch - Saturday & Sunday: 10:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Meloni
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The whole restaurant is available for buyout.
- Private Party Contact: Jerome Meloni 4154404290x
- Cross Street: Fillmore St.
- Public Transit: Muni lines 22, 30, 30X, 43.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is available. There is also a parking lot at Wells Fargo Bank on Chestnut three doors down from Castagna (between Fillmore & Steiner), and another lot on Pierce (between Lombard & Chestnut).
A word from Castagna - San Francisco
Castagna is a chef-owned neighborhood bistro and wine bar featuring "sun-kissed" cuisine from Provence and the neighboring coastal regions of Southern France and the Italian Riviera. Dine al fresco with a leisurely weekend brunch at our sidewalk tables, enjoy a candlelight dinner in our intimate dining room, or grab a glass of wine at the bar for a view of our lively exhibition kitchen. We offer dinner six days a week (closed on Mondays) along with weekend brunch service. We also offer Happy Hour with food and drink specials every Tuesday thru Friday from 4 - 6 pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Castagna - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
Castagna - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (41)romantic (24)notable wine list (19)special occasion (16)great for brunch (16)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (7)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Marina GemSFfoodieDined on 8/13/2014Food is excellent, wonderful presentation. Staff is very friendly. Chef stopped by each table to see how everything was. Very quaint restaurant. My favorite in the Marina.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurantRS0707Dined on 8/2/2014We drove all the way from Peninsula to the restaurant. It is a good one if I was in the neighborhood but not a destination. Food is good (not great) but the menu is limited. Very tight seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, great service!AngelaDined on 7/26/2014The food was delicious! French Mediterranean cuisine. Definitely try the cod. Service was great too. Our table wasn't ready for 14 minutes when we first arrived but we sat outside and were given complimentary sparkling wine. Very romantic spot.Special Features:
- CPMcDined on 7/25/2014I love the food/wine I love the owners and servers I love the outdoor and indoor seating... what more would i ask for!! It is like eating with family at one of my favorite french bistros n the Riviera! Love you guys, thank you!!Special Features:
- Always wonderfulMollyDined on 7/18/2014Castagna always exceeds my expectations. Walking in you are welcomed into a little piece of France. I am never disappointed and always look forward to 'next time'. Merci for a wonderful experience, every time we visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemJenniferVIPDined on 7/11/2014The service has been great both times I have dined here. They are attentive and friendly. I mentioned I had left my to go container the previous time and was disappointed because my meal had been so good and they brought out a little bowl of the pasta I had forgotten! The food has been delicious - the squash blossom appetizer!! We kept wanting to order more. Look forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencesujetDined on 7/5/2014Even the parking wasn't bad on Saturday morning in the Marina, where we found a spot around the corner on Fillmore where there are actually some curb spots long enough for an SUV. My husband is always seeking the perfect Eggs Benedict, and Castagna's was the "best (he'd) had in a long while." The Hollandaise, which I tasted and thought needed more lemon, was perfect for him because the lemon was subtle. My Salade Nicoise was very good, and included small slices of rare Ahi and strips of anchovies, hard-boiled egg, green beans, olives, etc. around a center of arugula. The house coffee, regular, was excellent, and my latte was very good. I think I'd get the regular black coffee next time because the flavor was so good, chocolatey and rich.Special Features:
- Reinventing an old favoriteFillmoeDined on 6/28/2014We have been following the owners from their original restaurant on Steiner/Sutter to Chestnut because we love the food, and because the owners always make us feel as if we're old friends. We were so sorry when a fire forced closure on Chestnut for about a year. The new version of Castagna is more wine bar, less casual lunch. We haven't tried the new dinner menu yet, but the brunch menu was the same as formerly - very good, but short. All ingredients are the freshest, and any kitchen shortcuts taken are not apparent, but enhance the experience.Special Features:
- Authentic french CuisineLarrySVIPDined on 6/26/2014The food was authentic , the service perfect, and the presentation beautiful. They were also delightful in handling my granddaughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosy spot on ChestnutdinerdeliteVIPDined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed a fish dinner, and a citrusy house salad, w/almonds. The service felt a little rushed; eg, the lady kept coming to the table re-filling the wine glasses, however, all the food was good, and we were on our way to a movie, so it was fine. If we were wanting a more relaxed evening, I might have complained. A nice, convenient spot in the Marina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic dinnerTowellVIPDined on 6/17/2014Gracious, friendly, professional host and staff; kitchen produces top notch, generous plates of traditional French/Med cuisine with a few novel twists/updates but all still close to original or what you would expect if you are familiar with highest quality home-style recipes from that part of the world, upped several notches to restaurant quality. All staff we encountered are original French speakers but fluent in English; about half the clients on two visits are francophones. Narrow room, close-quarters to neighbors, similar to what you'd encounter in France. This is one of our neighborhood favorite spots.Special Features:
- 26 Seats ~ Better Grab One Quick!HermansDined on 6/14/2014The exterior, somewhat deceiving ~ the interior, surprisingly modern and efficient yet intimate! Unique menu with something for everyone's palate and price. The owner is charming yet watchful which makes for a pleasant atmosphere and beautifully prepared and presented plates. The sea bass with black olive mashed potatoes was perfect. The monk fish stew served over zucchini spaghetti was meaty yet light and flavorful. Both went nicely with the side of ratatouille served moist and uniquely molded. Apple crisp for dessert ~ to die for! Service was attentive but just a bit brisk....who can blame them when a line is forming outside willing you out of your seat?! So glad we made a reservation!Special Features:
- Travel to France in the MarinapepperepperVIPDined on 6/12/2014Delightful ambience and great food. Outstanding, personal service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good French/Italian mixNickTDined on 5/31/2014The owners of the restaurant (one of whom was our server and was a very nice guy) told us he grew up near Nice, France -- which meant they have a lot of influence from Italy and not just France. This results in a menu with both French and Italian flavored food items. I loved the sea bass, while my wife had a seafood pasta, which was also really good. Desserts were also very tasty. I had caramelized apple-filled beignets (amazing), while my wife had a really good creme brûlée (very good). Definitely recommend this restaurant... but beware -- especially if you are seated inside near the front window -- it is extremely loud and can be hard to hear your dinner companion without raising your voice, which means the restaurant gets even noisier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HelenWWVIPDined on 5/31/2014Everything was perfect, from the food to the service. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood favoriteMollyDined on 5/23/2014So happy the boys are back on Chestnut Street. We missed them so when they had to close for revenvations after a fire. But, they persevered and have come back better than ever. Their menu offers new and exciting things, the wine list is great and service is outstanding. A delightful stop for a glass of Kir and a nibble or a romantic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDoodelsVIPDined on 5/17/2014So glad it's back in business. Interesting menu and great, attentive service. Everything we ordered was delicious DBS great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CastagnaHappydinerDined on 5/15/2014This was a wonderful surprise. I checked Open Table for a restaurant near Ft. Mason and was delighted by our first (but definitely not last) visit. The menu offered authentic Southern French dishes, with specials such as squash blossom beignets. Everything was beautifully presented and delicious. The service was friendly and professional. This is a gem for those who love real French food in a charming atmosphere!Special Features:
- Petite: Française for small...IndaknowVIPDined on 5/10/2014A cute petite place with a few petite tables, a Provençal-oriented menu with some traditional Italian items from across the border ::: Pleasant staff, a good wine list ::: We started with petite slices of so-so baguette with petite butter, then moved onto starters: a fine green salad and some meat-stuffed vegetables, lukewarm and overstuffed with meat ::: Our mains could have been better: the Chilean Sea Bass was fine, served with mashed potatoes and zero vegetables (hence, boring), and the Beef Stew was une petite salty ::: Chose a cheese platter for dessert for $16, it had the most petite slices of cheese, including an overpowering blue ::: At $200 for three diners, we were une petite disappointed...
- Welcome Back!SusanDined on 5/10/2014This was our first visit back since the reopening of the restaurant after the fire. Upon arriving we were once again warmly greeted by owner and staff. The remodel has updated the space and it appears to seat a few more guests. This restaurant is friendly, cozy and offers some of the best food available in the Cow Hollow/Marina neighborhoods. For the wine drinkers, their offering is excellent without breaking the budget. But to most important comment on a restaurant - the food is better than ever! The menu offers something for everyone from the pizza loving child to the foodie in some of us. We are always a party of three (mother-in-law lives in the neighborhood) and tried multiple items and sampled from each. Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic after recent re-openingTowellVIPDined on 5/2/2014Truly wonderful professional-grade version of 'home-cooking' with hospitable co-owners host+chef in this small and energetic venue. Though still getting their routines down, the staff are very professional, friendly and accommodating. Menu is on the smaller side as is appropriate for a place of this size, but an excellent variety. Everything we ordered, as well as what we saw on surrounding tables, was/looked terrific. And the vibe was a bunch of very satisfied diners. The only downside, not the restaurant's fault: noise level was deafening - if you have loud table-neighbors, it's problematic. Alas this is more the rule these days at American restaurants. Wine list notable for reasonable prices and selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 75 reviews are from the Castagna - San Francisco reviews archive.
- Welcome addition to Neighborhood!KaptDined on 4/26/2014Carpaccio and delightful thin crust pizza on first visit. Reports on all food excellent. Small, intimate setting inside. Great people viewing outside. And they take reservations! So no hassle.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/26/2014The restaurant has limited seating, so reservations are highly recommended. Many small plates to choose from. All selections were delicious and nicely presented. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DélicieuxBelleDined on 4/25/2014This place this a gem! Great good, wine, friendly staff and a lovely atmosphere. It's quant and charming busting with flavors from France. It is great to have them back in the neighborhood. It is a MUST try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Castagna ReopensFriscocatDined on 4/23/2014After being closed for about a year due to a fire, Castagna is back. The decor is more upscale and contemporary but Jerome and Stephan, the brothers who own it, welcome guests with the same warmth as ever. The food is wonderful. A trip to Marseille. So glad they are back in business. The neighborhood really missed them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Talk About Pour Hosting!DinewclassVIPDined on 4/20/2014I made reservations for 3 for Easter Sunday brunch, and left instructions that one guest was from out of town. We arrived concurrently with an old couple (looking flamboyant!). Well, the owner gave them the only large round table available at the time. Then, she magically moved a small rectangular table (hardly fitting for one person) to a corner bench and expected the three of us to be seated there!!! The alternative was to wait another 45 minutes. Sorry, French hospitality is much better than that, but this Vietnamese owner has no business running a French resto!!! We left and dined elsewhere.
- Excellent Brunch!luvsgoodfoodDined on 4/20/2014We each had one of the "benedicts" and they were all wonderful. Brunch is as good as dinner and dinner is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy Castagna is again open!luvsgoodfoodDined on 4/15/2014I was going to Castagna before it burned and am so happy it has re-opened! It's a small place but the food was wonderful and the wine recommendation was perfect. We went early so it was quiet, service was great. Will be going back often!Special Features:
- Great food and the best service!Winefoodlover415VIPDined on 4/12/2014We absolutely loved our dinner this past Saturday night after finding Castagna. The space is very intimate and well decorated. Not only was their food delicious, but the service is SO good. The menu has lots of different influences which enables the customer to pick from many different dishes whether one feels like French, italian, or even a California craving for fresh fish.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood french bistroAmyjamVIPDined on 4/6/2014So glad that Castagna reopened. WE really missed this neighborhood gem. Everything was outstanding as always especially the pastas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice cosi,friendly littlecatnipVIPDined on 3/20/2013nice cosi,friendly little resturant.zagat rated 2013.steak au poivre,linguini bolinese are delicious.this was our first time at this resturant,and was very impressed with the food.make a 1000 point reservation for 6 and you`ll save some quarters.parking meters ar offline at 6 pm.Special Features:
- Without Open Table, we never4merlylsVIPDined on 3/15/2013Without Open Table, we never would have found Castagna, so tiny we nearly walked past it. That would have been a shame. From our warm greeting by one of the ownersf, to our perfect beignets and chestnut-filled crepes, we were were thrilled with our discovery and wishing this "neighborhood gem" we're in OUR neighborhood. The menu is small but appealing--our party of four ordered four different dishes and enjoyed them all. A tip: avoid parking problems by dining early and using one of the two neighborhood lots.Special Features:
- Great place and nice atmosphereGuestDined on 3/9/2013Great atmosphere and casual setting. Good for young couples who enjoy casual French food.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2013Nothing was bad but nothing was outstanding. The onion tart was not to my liking -- I have had much better. The recommended items (by owner and server) were almost all Italian, not French, though the owner recommended the steak poivre. However, steak is too high in cholesterol for me. The fruits de mer was very good pasta -- definitely the standout. However, no one recommended the duck confit. Why have it on the menu? One person in the group had the chocolate lava cake -- it was very tasty but a bit too sweet for me (and that is saying a lot). It was not warm enough where we sat and the owner made no adjustment to the thermostat even when we brought it to his attention -- he said the setting was correct. Well, it was still cold.
- Service was great. I had calledFoodforthoughtVIPDined on 2/16/2013Service was great. I had called and emailed them to reserve outdoor seating since I knew there were only 6 seats outside and we needed the outside so some dogs could hang out with us. When we got there there was a mix-up and they didn't reserve the outdoor table for us but the Asian woman was super kind and asked the table outside if they could graciously move inside. The party had just eaten and then left and in almost no time we were able to get seated. They took care of the situation quickly and I was so appreciative that they made the effort. The food was fantastic and it was lovely to sit outside. I'll definitely be back to try dinner.Special Features:
- Food is delicious, well preparedAnnaVIPDined on 2/8/2013Food is delicious, well prepared and presented. My dessert crepe was fabulous!Special Features:
- Food is excellent, but atmosphereLucyVIPDined on 2/2/2013Food is excellent, but atmosphere is a little too bright. It is not a romantic restaurant, but is a good place to bring kids. The chairs and atmosphere bring it down a notch, however, the food and service are great!Special Features:
- Small quant restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/27/2013Small quant restaurant with great service. Fabulous tomato soup. The mussels were Delish! Wish I could have eaten more of Husbands specially of the day the pasta carbonara! The wheat thing doesn't like me ! Bummer! It was perfect portion and ohhh so tasty. The lasagna looked amazing ! Wish I lived walking distance as I would be Here at least twice a week !Special Features:
- Just a little gem with greatKentVIPDined on 1/26/2013Just a little gem with great food and fun and personable service!Special Features:
- Rather limited menu, but excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/19/2013Rather limited menu, but excellent food. Good service.