227 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.castadivabyob.com/
- Phone: (215) 496-9677
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Stephen Vassalluzzo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly to discuss and schedule.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Vassalluzzo 2154969677
A word from Casta Diva
Located just steps away from the Rittenhouse Square Park, Caffe Casta Diva brings to the table simple yet perfectly executed authentic Italian dishes, always using the finest locally and seasonally available ingredients. Bring your favorite bottle of wine to this elegant and sophisticated tratoria and enjoy beautifully prepared seafood and meat dishes, as well as pasta, desserts and bread made in the house. One of the "best kept secrets in Philadelphia" according to the Zagat review.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casta Diva reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (57)neighborhood gem (54)romantic (27)special occasion (22)good for groups (6)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- conistently very good foodLarryVIPDined on 11/19/2014Very good food on a consistent basis at a reasonable price. You will not go home hungry as you do at to many of the "small plates" restuarants. The service is good and friendly. Relatively limited menu but everything well prepared. This is a very good BYO at a conveniet location. Seating is reasonably comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful food, beet salad and bronzino fish was flavorful and beautifully presented. Food was brought out quickly. Staff is very serious and cold. A smile and a "thank you" for coming would be a nice addition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonbonVIPDined on 11/14/2014I've been to Casa Diva many times and always enjoyed the food. However the noise level especially on the weekends is intolerable.we were not kept waiting which to us is a real bonus as my significant other will not wait.I will certainly go back again but not on the weekendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Casta DivaLocaleaterDined on 11/8/2014Six friends meeting for dinner. Nice table in the back of the restaurant. The food ranged from bland (artichoke salad)to excellent(Branzino). The waiter was the least positive part of the experience. A wise guy who you had to beg for an additional crack of pepper. He made us question whether we would ever return for a second visit.
- Wonderful!TerryDined on 11/8/2014Last week four of us enjoyed a perfectly-prepared Italian meal at Casta Diva. We were delayed for our 5:45 pm reservation (traffic!), yet the waitress made us feel welcome when we finally got there 30 minutes late! Nothing was rushed, and we were served with minimal delay. The food was wonderfully prepared -- every dish fresh and delicious! My pasta dish with wild mushrooms was divine! While we dined adjacent to us was a large bachelorette party that made the noise level high -- until their food arrived! However, even that commotion did not spoil our memorable time at Casta Diva. This has become our favorite BYO restaurant in the Rittenhouse Square district.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood FindJackiVIPDined on 11/7/2014I've passed by tons of times but never tried Casta Diva until recently and I've definitely been missing out. It's such a great neighborhood spot. Quaint, cozy and the food was delicious. Love that it's a BYO too. I had the pasta with truffle oil and it was amazing. I can't wait to come back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little place in PhillyPeppermdblueVIPDined on 11/1/2014We went with family who live in the neighborhood. Wonderful little Italian gem. Keep in mind it's BYOB and Cash Only. There is an ATM across the street. They worked with us about some last minute changes in reservation time and number and service was cordial, not rushed and low keyed. We had shared appetizers, main courses were great. I will definitely go back when up in PhiladelphiaSpecial Features:
- An intown gem for superb food. YOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Superb food made by the owner chef who wants to please you and will make changes to please you. BYO ok. Drawback is no credit cards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014This is one of my favorite special occasion restaurants. The food - from the bread and appetizers to the desserts - and service are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in townSparkyDined on 10/16/2014Steven has a way with food like no other. subtly and perfectly prepared. Not for the pour on the hot sauce crowd. fresh, fresh, fresh ingredients and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Rewarded...BazkapVIPDined on 10/8/2014The comforting and inventive menu coupled with attentive yet personable service keep Casta Diva ever worthy of our return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014A very pleasant small BYOB. The food was very good. The four of us had different items of the small menu, and each was very pleased with their choices. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/26/2014i like casta dive BUT the menu isvery limited - the staff were very accomodating and changed some side s to my taseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Understated Italian done wellAnimomoteDined on 9/17/2014I've visited twice now and nearly every dish was delicious. There were 1 or 2 I didn't care for too much, but others in my party enjoyed. The wait staff is pleasant, but could be a little more proactive. There was more than one occasion where water/wine glasses were empty. Also, our silverware was cleared with some dishes leaving us unable to enjoy the remaining appetizers. Small things that aren't too big a deal but left an impression nonetheless. They really do a great job with the menu. The pastas are simply decadent, a must try if you enjoy Italian. Perfect for a group that is varied with foodies and non-foodies as the quality is superb but the dishes are relatively simple. Meaning they don't get too creative, but they don't need to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant is very inviting both for curb appeal and decor; the service was fine and not intrusive; the food, however, except for the excellent bread, was mediocre - both appetizers and pastas, nice presentation, but blah.
- awesomecraigarDined on 9/13/2014Food, service and atmosphere was awesome. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dining experienceSilverQueenVIPDined on 9/13/2014We shared the artichoke appetizer, then I had the duck breast and my friend had the branzino. All were delicious. For dessert poached pear and gelato - yum. Our servers were helpful, friendly, and courteous. We sat near the open window - very pleasant. I have dined at this restaurant many times and will return and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Went out on a limb after reading so many outstanding reviews for a date. It was far from intimate however, was seated in a back corner, basically was dining with two other couples, couldn't even hear the waiter relay the specials. Requested a move and was reluctantly put out outside. Waiter wouldn't even look me in the eye when we ordered. The night was capped by two crackheads screaming and laying in the middle of the sidewalk next to my table as my date and I ate. Menu was small, food was excellent, portions were small. Whole dinner lasted 30 minutes. Not one to go out of my way and put down a restaurante, but the whole experience was simply terrible. Some of the worst service I have ever experienced. Highly debatable rating.
- ON THE MONEYBIGRED1VIPDined on 9/10/2014For my hard earned $$ one of the most overlooked gems in the city. Excellent Italian cooking started off with housemade buratta and tomato salad. Dinner was the wild boar paperdalle. My wife had the mushroom pasta. Excellent bread/foccacia. Been a while since we have been here but hopefully not long before we go again. Excellent expereience! BYOB and fair prices as well.Special Features:
- Gourmet Quality FoodAllelemanDined on 8/23/2014From the appetizers to the dessert the food at Casta Diva was sumptuous. The service was spot on, but never intrusive. I brought a combination of colleagues from work and out-of-town guests - everyone was wowed. Unlike some BYOB's they provided us with real wine glasses so we weren't pouring great vino into water tumblers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencePhillyPhoodieDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday at Casta Diva. We arrived about 15 minutes early but were accommodated with a quiet corner table in the back. We started with the calimari appetizer, then salads - Caesar and caprese - before the main courses: spinach tagliatelle and lamb chops. We wanted the Creme Brule for dessert but we're told they were out...but the 2nd choice of the cannoli was delicious just the same. The food was all perfectly prepared and the presentation was superb. The atmosphere was very welcoming. Our only complaint was the 25 minute wait for the check after the dinner was complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another WinnerVegetarianVIPDined on 8/15/2014We like Casta Diva and we like meeting friends there. On this occasion, four of us shared wonderful food (including two specials) and enjoyed great service. The dining room is pleasant and, since the evening was mild, the restaurant had its front windows partially open--lovely. Casta Diva has a relaxed yet gracious vibe. There just aren't many places that can get that combo just right. It is BYOB and cash only.Special Features:
- Exceptional Dining!FillyDined on 8/12/2014Our experience at Cafe Casta Diva this past Tuesday was fabulous. Steven, the owner/chef, keeps challenging himself and it shows. The special Caprese salad was extraordinary. Generous slices of excellent mozzarella atop a ground of thinly sliced green and red heirloom tomatoes, - visually stunning and absolutely delicious. I had the wild salmon with crisp skin, roasted potatoes, and thinly sliced vegies. Delicious beyond description. This delightful meal was topped off by the best cannoli I've ever tasted - crisp shell, whipped ricotta, lots of semisweet chips decorating globs of light ricotta that emerged from each opening. All in all, a fabulous meal. We'll be back! Sooner rather than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Italian Fooddgk133Dined on 8/9/2014My second time at Casta Diva - the pappardelle and gnocchi were great, but the bread and shrimp special were disappointing. Everything is a tad salty as well.
- Constnatly ImprovingdwgrouchoDined on 8/9/2014Been to Casta Diva three times in the past 6 or 8 months and it has been better each time and it was great the first time!! I like that they have a small, concise menu which they put all their care and talent into so that each dish is exquisite to look at and exceptional to eat. I love the energetic atmosphere and the servers go way out of their way to make you feel at home and comfortable. Every course and dish was a knock out! Thanks for another great evening!!Special Features:
- WimmieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Casta diva is always excellent with great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is phenomenalTitanium402Dined on 8/7/2014The food was magnificent. Burrata cheese, grilled bread, and roasted peppers as an appetizer. The best gnocchi I have ever tasted in a cream sauce with peas as a main. Such a gem of a place. Only downside is cash only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been a while, andSandyDined on 8/6/2014I am not sure why we have not patronized Casta Diva more often since moving to the neighborhood. The food was very good, service was fine and we were allowed to linger to finish our wine. We need to put the place back on our radar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much pain for superb pasta?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Casta Diva served us some of the best pasta we have ever eaten. We were very impressed. Our salads and desserts were excellent, and since the restaurant is BYOB, we were able to bring a bottle of terrific wine. But, we had to wait a long time on the sidewalk for our table to free up, and we got the impressions that the restaurant is not good at managing the flood of would-be diners. And one seated, we could hardly hear ourselves think! The din is overwhelming, even though there are draperies along one wall. (It would be so easy to add some sound absorption.)Special Features:
- Nice BYOB date spotTravelingTexanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Short but well thought out menu. The gnocchi was phenomenal, as was the glourless chocolate cake and gelato dessert. The restaurant has little to no ambiance of its own, but the vibrant dining scene during our visit more than compensated. Several walk-in parties we returned away during our meal, so make sure to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Exceptionally good food experience. High quality, imaginative dishes, with excellent presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a delicious dinner of beet salad, branzino fish, salmon, flourless chocolate cake and tiramisu. The food was fresh, cooked perfectly and presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 294 reviews are from the Casta Diva reviews archive.
- Awesome!myloveoffoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014I came for the first time this weekend and absolutely LOVED it. Nice outdoor seating, and best of all-the food was OUTSTANDING. Very impressed! Will definitely come back...Special Features:
- Best pasta in a long time!BKmomVIPDined on 7/22/2014Delicious food, incredibly fresh pasta and amazing sauces and ingredients. Portions are great and prices are fair. Loved this place. We will make it one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Always a PleasureVegetarianVIPDined on 7/15/2014On this visit, a group of four friends met for the evening. We picked what we thought would be a slow evening and spent over three hours eating, drinking good wine, and enjoying good company. Once the waiter understood we planned to really spend the evening, he adjusted and gave us plenty of space. We had a fabulous special appetizer of raw summer vegetables. It is always a pleasure to take good wine and champagne because Casta Diva has very nice stemware. This is a favorite restaurant. However, if they changed the menu more frequently and made more use of seasonal vegetables, we would go even more. It is nice to be able to count on a "favorite" dish, but greater variety would be very welcome.Special Features:
- Quality Homemade ItalianBirdspicksDined on 7/12/2014Our food was absolutely delicious!!! Portion size was perfect-not too much! Service was fine. It is a little noisy, but a wonderful BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One disappointing entreeFinlayDined on 7/12/2014The veal chop was recommended to my husband and he could barely eat it as it was so fatty. He refused to complain; he does not like to make a fuss. It was very disappointing as we have been to the restaurant at least five times prior if not more.Special Features:
- Delicious menu with superb service.PhillyfoodfanVIPDined on 6/28/2014I enjoy the creative menu in this relaxing environment. I look forward to returning again and again.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseLArtusifanVIPDined on 6/20/2014It truly was a pleasant surprise with GREAT service and food. I will definitely go again.Special Features:
- The Best I've Had In A Long Time!sitkashelDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten in several restaurants in the downtown Philly area, several BYO, and this was by far the best food and service I have ever had! The server was at first reserved but our group soon got him laughing and joking with us all the while maintaining a great professionalism. We were 4 friends all with a different bottle of wine, and we did not feel rushed when the check arrived and we had not finished our wine as I had been in another Rittenhouse Square eatery. I will be returning here again and again. I work for an airline and this is the best layover for great food! Thank you Costa Diva!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.