227 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.castadivabyob.com/
- Phone: 2154969677
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Stephen Vassalluzzo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly to discuss and schedule.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Vassalluzzo 2154969677
A word from Casta Diva
Located just steps away from the Rittenhouse Square Park, Caffe Casta Diva brings to the table simple yet perfectly executed authentic Italian dishes, always using the finest locally and seasonally available ingredients. Bring your favorite bottle of wine to this elegant and sophisticated tratoria and enjoy beautifully prepared seafood and meat dishes, as well as pasta, desserts and bread made in the house. One of the "best kept secrets in Philadelphia" according to the Zagat review.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Casta Diva - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Casta Diva reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (36)romantic (25)special occasion (18)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Understated Italian done wellOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014I've visited twice now and nearly every dish was delicious. There were 1 or 2 I didn't care for too much, but others in my party enjoyed. The wait staff is pleasant, but could be a little more proactive. There was more than one occasion where water/wine glasses were empty. Also, our silverware was cleared with some dishes leaving us unable to enjoy the remaining appetizers. Small things that aren't too big a deal but left an impression nonetheless. They really do a great job with the menu. The pastas are simply decadent, a must try if you enjoy Italian. Perfect for a group that is varied with foodies and non-foodies as the quality is superb but the dishes are relatively simple. Meaning they don't get too creative, but they don't need to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RosieDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant is very inviting both for curb appeal and decor; the service was fine and not intrusive; the food, however, except for the excellent bread, was mediocre - both appetizers and pastas, nice presentation, but blah.
- awesomecraigarDined on 9/13/2014Food, service and atmosphere was awesome. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable dining experienceSilverQueenVIPDined on 9/13/2014We shared the artichoke appetizer, then I had the duck breast and my friend had the branzino. All were delicious. For dessert poached pear and gelato - yum. Our servers were helpful, friendly, and courteous. We sat near the open window - very pleasant. I have dined at this restaurant many times and will return and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Over-ratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Went out on a limb after reading so many outstanding reviews for a date. It was far from intimate however, was seated in a back corner, basically was dining with two other couples, couldn't even hear the waiter relay the specials. Requested a move and was reluctantly put out outside. Waiter wouldn't even look me in the eye when we ordered. The night was capped by two crackheads screaming and laying in the middle of the sidewalk next to my table as my date and I ate. Menu was small, food was excellent, portions were small. Whole dinner lasted 30 minutes. Not one to go out of my way and put down a restaurante, but the whole experience was simply terrible. Some of the worst service I have ever experienced. Highly debatable rating.
- ON THE MONEYBIGRED1VIPDined on 9/10/2014For my hard earned $$ one of the most overlooked gems in the city. Excellent Italian cooking started off with housemade buratta and tomato salad. Dinner was the wild boar paperdalle. My wife had the mushroom pasta. Excellent bread/foccacia. Been a while since we have been here but hopefully not long before we go again. Excellent expereience! BYOB and fair prices as well.Special Features:
- Gourmet Quality FoodAllelemanDined on 8/23/2014From the appetizers to the dessert the food at Casta Diva was sumptuous. The service was spot on, but never intrusive. I brought a combination of colleagues from work and out-of-town guests - everyone was wowed. Unlike some BYOB's they provided us with real wine glasses so we weren't pouring great vino into water tumblers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencePhillyPhoodieDined on 8/22/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday at Casta Diva. We arrived about 15 minutes early but were accommodated with a quiet corner table in the back. We started with the calimari appetizer, then salads - Caesar and caprese - before the main courses: spinach tagliatelle and lamb chops. We wanted the Creme Brule for dessert but we're told they were out...but the 2nd choice of the cannoli was delicious just the same. The food was all perfectly prepared and the presentation was superb. The atmosphere was very welcoming. Our only complaint was the 25 minute wait for the check after the dinner was complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another WinnerVegetarianVIPDined on 8/15/2014We like Casta Diva and we like meeting friends there. On this occasion, four of us shared wonderful food (including two specials) and enjoyed great service. The dining room is pleasant and, since the evening was mild, the restaurant had its front windows partially open--lovely. Casta Diva has a relaxed yet gracious vibe. There just aren't many places that can get that combo just right. It is BYOB and cash only.Special Features:
- Exceptional Dining!FillyDined on 8/12/2014Our experience at Cafe Casta Diva this past Tuesday was fabulous. Steven, the owner/chef, keeps challenging himself and it shows. The special Caprese salad was extraordinary. Generous slices of excellent mozzarella atop a ground of thinly sliced green and red heirloom tomatoes, - visually stunning and absolutely delicious. I had the wild salmon with crisp skin, roasted potatoes, and thinly sliced vegies. Delicious beyond description. This delightful meal was topped off by the best cannoli I've ever tasted - crisp shell, whipped ricotta, lots of semisweet chips decorating globs of light ricotta that emerged from each opening. All in all, a fabulous meal. We'll be back! Sooner rather than later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Italian Fooddgk133Dined on 8/9/2014My second time at Casta Diva - the pappardelle and gnocchi were great, but the bread and shrimp special were disappointing. Everything is a tad salty as well.
- Constnatly ImprovingdwgrouchoDined on 8/9/2014Been to Casta Diva three times in the past 6 or 8 months and it has been better each time and it was great the first time!! I like that they have a small, concise menu which they put all their care and talent into so that each dish is exquisite to look at and exceptional to eat. I love the energetic atmosphere and the servers go way out of their way to make you feel at home and comfortable. Every course and dish was a knock out! Thanks for another great evening!!Special Features:
- WimmieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Casta diva is always excellent with great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is phenomenalTitanium402Dined on 8/7/2014The food was magnificent. Burrata cheese, grilled bread, and roasted peppers as an appetizer. The best gnocchi I have ever tasted in a cream sauce with peas as a main. Such a gem of a place. Only downside is cash only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been a while, andSandyDined on 8/6/2014I am not sure why we have not patronized Casta Diva more often since moving to the neighborhood. The food was very good, service was fine and we were allowed to linger to finish our wine. We need to put the place back on our radar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much pain for superb pasta?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Casta Diva served us some of the best pasta we have ever eaten. We were very impressed. Our salads and desserts were excellent, and since the restaurant is BYOB, we were able to bring a bottle of terrific wine. But, we had to wait a long time on the sidewalk for our table to free up, and we got the impressions that the restaurant is not good at managing the flood of would-be diners. And one seated, we could hardly hear ourselves think! The din is overwhelming, even though there are draperies along one wall. (It would be so easy to add some sound absorption.)Special Features:
- Nice BYOB date spotTravelingTexanVIPDined on 8/2/2014Short but well thought out menu. The gnocchi was phenomenal, as was the glourless chocolate cake and gelato dessert. The restaurant has little to no ambiance of its own, but the vibrant dining scene during our visit more than compensated. Several walk-in parties we returned away during our meal, so make sure to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Exceptionally good food experience. High quality, imaginative dishes, with excellent presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a delicious dinner of beet salad, branzino fish, salmon, flourless chocolate cake and tiramisu. The food was fresh, cooked perfectly and presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!myloveoffoodDined on 7/26/2014I came for the first time this weekend and absolutely LOVED it. Nice outdoor seating, and best of all-the food was OUTSTANDING. Very impressed! Will definitely come back...Special Features:
- Best pasta in a long time!BKmomVIPDined on 7/22/2014Delicious food, incredibly fresh pasta and amazing sauces and ingredients. Portions are great and prices are fair. Loved this place. We will make it one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Always a PleasureVegetarianVIPDined on 7/15/2014On this visit, a group of four friends met for the evening. We picked what we thought would be a slow evening and spent over three hours eating, drinking good wine, and enjoying good company. Once the waiter understood we planned to really spend the evening, he adjusted and gave us plenty of space. We had a fabulous special appetizer of raw summer vegetables. It is always a pleasure to take good wine and champagne because Casta Diva has very nice stemware. This is a favorite restaurant. However, if they changed the menu more frequently and made more use of seasonal vegetables, we would go even more. It is nice to be able to count on a "favorite" dish, but greater variety would be very welcome.Special Features:
- Quality Homemade ItalianBirdspicksDined on 7/12/2014Our food was absolutely delicious!!! Portion size was perfect-not too much! Service was fine. It is a little noisy, but a wonderful BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One disappointing entreeFinlayDined on 7/12/2014The veal chop was recommended to my husband and he could barely eat it as it was so fatty. He refused to complain; he does not like to make a fuss. It was very disappointing as we have been to the restaurant at least five times prior if not more.Special Features:
- Delicious menu with superb service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/28/2014I enjoy the creative menu in this relaxing environment. I look forward to returning again and again.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseLArtusifanVIPDined on 6/20/2014It truly was a pleasant surprise with GREAT service and food. I will definitely go again.Special Features:
- The Best I've Had In A Long Time!sitkashelDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten in several restaurants in the downtown Philly area, several BYO, and this was by far the best food and service I have ever had! The server was at first reserved but our group soon got him laughing and joking with us all the while maintaining a great professionalism. We were 4 friends all with a different bottle of wine, and we did not feel rushed when the check arrived and we had not finished our wine as I had been in another Rittenhouse Square eatery. I will be returning here again and again. I work for an airline and this is the best layover for great food! Thank you Costa Diva!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great weekday findrittenhousefoodieDined on 6/14/2014I've been there twice recently. Don't let a past bad experience fool you, it's much better now. However, go on a weekday. On a weekday it was quiet and the service was excellent. On a Saturday night it was unbearably noisy and the service was terrible. It was like a different restaurant. Too many tables in too small a space with no insulation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerzeesalVIPDined on 6/13/2014We had a fantastic Lobster Boccatini at this gem of a restaurant! For starters we had the beet salad with aged goat cheese shavings and heirloom tomato/mozzarella salad w/ a lovely aged balsamic drizzle. A week later and we are still talking about this place. It was a wonderful place and the perfect beginning to our weekend in Philly.Special Features:
- Good meal & attentive serviceLmp1105VIPDined on 5/30/2014My husband and I tried Casta Diva for the first time and were not disappointed. Appetizer and a Entree portions were larger than we anticipated, food was very fresh and tasted great and prices were reasonable for the quality! We would definitely return and suggest to friends! Sit in the window for some good Rittenhouse people watching!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood favoriteReadyaboutVIPDined on 5/28/2014Cash only and BYOB. Consistently excellent Italian food at its best- fresh, straightforward. I think we have had every pasta dish here, all delicious. Italian as in Italy, not as in a red sauce joint. (Wild boar tagliatelle, or walnut and truffle oil and wild mushroom on pasta shape you never heard of... Mmmm). Wine-poached pear with sweet cream gelato for dessert instantly transported my husband to his Italian grandmother's kitchen.Special Features:
- The following 282 reviews are from the Casta Diva reviews archive.
- Outstanding experience.GinnyDined on 5/24/2014Made a reservation a few hours ahead based on reviews posted on Open Table. This was one of the best dining experiences I have had in Philly. The portion sizes are perfect. The Ceasar salad dressing was perfect. My son ordered the crispy salmon and it was among the 10 best salmon dishes I have ever tasted. Not a dud among the entrees. The torte is a must order for dessert. We will definitely go back again and I will be recommending Casta Diva to all my friends.Special Features:
- MicheleVIPDined on 5/23/2014Some of the best Italian food we ever had, and the service was very professional.Special Features:
- Thoroughly enjoyed everything!luvphilaeatzDined on 5/22/2014Went with a mommy friend for a relaxing night out and we both loved the ambiance and were impressed with the food. Nothing disappointed. Had the artichoke appetizer along with the olives and ricotta crostini appetizer, both amazing. And the ricotta gnocchi with gorgonzola cream sauce was my second favorite ever! Had the chocolate torte for dessert and didn't want it to end. To top it off this is a byob. Btw, cash only, which I didn't know. Can't wait to go back and take my husband!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific Food as AlwaysPaulVIPDined on 5/15/2014This is one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants. The food is always superbly prepared and presented. We came with out of town guests and they were equally impressed. Casta Diva is BYOB, which we prefer but you need to know that they do not accept credit cards, only cash and checks. For those caught unaware, there is an ATM across the street. Our only criticism is the noise level which is better than it was, but still could be dampened a bitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A JOYOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/10/2014A BYOB RESTAURANT WITH AN IMAGINATIVE MENU ,GREAT SERVICE ,GREAT VALUE . EACH COURSE WAS OUTSTANDING AND A WONDERFUL PACE TO THE MEAL . REMEMBER TO BRING WINE NOT YOUR EVERYDAY ITALIAN FARESpecial Features:
- Enjoyable eveningLovephillyDined on 5/3/2014The quality of the food was excellent. Portions were modest. Service top notch with cozy ambience. Cash only.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014Casta Diva was recommendation from a native of Philadelphia. The special Fire Roasted Artichoke Soup with Shrimp was amazing. The two pasta dishes we ordered we just as great. I had the wild boar pappardelle and my girl friend had the veal Bolognese. The bolognese was presented beautifully. The prices were impressive. 3 Apps and 2 mains and 2 espressos came out to under $100. It's BYOB and only takes CASH.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasant experienceDrJoeyDined on 5/1/2014Always enjoy my dining here. Menu is a very reasonable length and a few specials. Fish is cooked perfectly. The staff has always been very pleasant and attentive.Special Features:
- a nice experiencehadaryVIPDined on 4/24/2014Wee really enjoyed this evening, byo and good service always help :-) We ordered the calamari and cheese paste for appetizers, they were pretty good, but nothing special.. For we ordered the special -scallops (very tasty but very small) and the pasta with porchini, which was standard, and also very small. Deserts were too sweet and all of them had a strong coffee flavor (that neither of us liked). In summary, maybe we took the wrong food but with what we tried, it seemed like an average tough very pricy meal. there are many other good Italian places with better good at the same price (and no cash is required)Special Features: