227 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.castadivabyob.com/
- Phone: (215) 496-9677
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Stephen Vassalluzzo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant directly to discuss and schedule.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Vassalluzzo 2154969677
A word from Casta Diva
Located just steps away from the Rittenhouse Square Park, Caffe Casta Diva brings to the table simple yet perfectly executed authentic Italian dishes, always using the finest locally and seasonally available ingredients. Bring your favorite bottle of wine to this elegant and sophisticated tratoria and enjoy beautifully prepared seafood and meat dishes, as well as pasta, desserts and bread made in the house. One of the "best kept secrets in Philadelphia" according to the Zagat review.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casta Diva reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)neighborhood gem (53)romantic (26)special occasion (21)good for groups (6)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Outstanding BYOBRickDined on 2/19/2014My wife and I had a previous wonderful dinner at Casta Diva. We returned for a second visit and we each had an outstanding meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!DaveDined on 2/15/2014I took my girlfriend here for valentines day and for the most part everything was great! The only downside was that another couple was seated almost right on top of us. This place would be great for a table of 4 though!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate there on ValentinesScintillaDined on 2/14/2014We ate there on Valentines Day. I got the carpaccio which was more like medium rare roast beef than raw filet. The menu did not say that it was going to be cooked. It was promptly taken back and replaced with a pretty good beet salad. For main, I got the duck which was cooked pretty well done, not medium rare as I had ordered, and disappointing. Husband's veal chop was also overcooked, which seems to be a theme. Brother in law's dry aged steak was mediocre. Sister did like her trofie with mushrooms. The ambience is a nice neighborhood BYO; I just wished the food had delivered. Maybe an off night because of Valentines?Special Features:
- Always OutstandingChubbyBubbyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Every dish was exceptional. This is our favorite restaurant and the only place I wanted to be on Valentine's Day. We brought a great Barolo and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. We sat next two couples who had never been to Casta Diva and both discovered that it was their new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently NiceVegetarianVIPDined on 2/14/2014Casta Diva is always a good choice, but we usually go on a quiet night. This visit was on Valentine's Day and I was surprised that, in spite of being very busy, the waitstaff managed to create a quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Bravo. Casta Diva has a small menu. The consistent addition of a vegetarian special would be very welcome.Special Features:
- Great DinnerMiyoDined on 2/8/2014My wife and I went there with a family group for a celebration--not typical for the restaurant, which has an intimate atmosphere. My wife and I have been there a number of times, but this time we took our adult children (plus two eleven year olds) because they said they wanted very good food. The food was delicious, imaginative, and beautifully presented. The service was impeccable--responsive, efficient, but also sensitive to the atmosphere we wanted to establish.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable dinnerMariaADined on 2/5/2014Met and I could say surpassed expectations. Casual but very attractive setting with pleasant and efficient service. Not sure if this is the norm for BYOBs restaurants in Philadelphia but no cooler was provided for my white wine. Food was fantastic, As appetizers we had the calamari and red peppers . For main course we had the crepelle and the veal loin. At $35 I felt the latter was a bit overpriced, but it was very good so I dont regret ordering it. We ended with Creme brulee (it was chocolate which surprised me since it wasn't specified in the menu, but was very good) and chocolate torte topped with ice cream, yummy! Will come back for sure.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, have gone often,GoodEaterDined on 1/31/2014Fabulous food, have gone often, never disappointed. Go early when noise level is low. Cash only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta pastaRonSimonDined on 1/24/2014We ordered 4 pasta dishes. 3 were a+, one was b. I have rarely seen any place that goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the evening, wonderfulAlwaysReady2dineoutDined on 1/23/2014Enjoyed the evening, wonderful food, nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; indifferent serviceKermitsmomVIPDined on 1/18/2014Food was I fabulous; beautifully presented. Delicious. Exceptional choices and combinations. But the servers either have to cover too many tables or frankly don't care. They were minimally present and largely unavailable except to take orders and deliver the dishes. Nonetheless, the food was so good I'd return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad AttitudeJimLDined on 1/18/2014Disappointed with attitude from server and policies. I made reservation for 4 people. Two of us arrived 15 minutes early and were seated. I tried to order an anti pasta appetizer while we waited for rest to join us. But server was abrupt telling me that I cannot order appetizer until the whole order went in at the same time. This policy prohibited us from appetizer as we were headed for a show. This policy cost the restaurant a sale. Also, this restaurant is CASH only. This was not publicized until we opened the menu. Its an expensive place but luckily we scraped together the money. I will not return. This would have been embarrassing and very inconveniencing if I had to leave to go to an ATM
- Nice but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014My parents and I were looking for a good Italian byob, a little less expensive and cute casual ambiance, offset a bit from the most populated areas. The food was very good, but it was overpriced for what you got. Byob is great but for example, we ordered the antipasti salumi appetizer. It came out on a beautiful wooden board and was arranged nicely, but it was 16 pieces of tissue thin salami and 6 little crackers...for 16 dollars. No cheese or olives or roasted red peppers? That's not antipasti. We each got a pasta dish which were all good but we were still hungry after. I don't eat much. When you drop at least an easy $100 at a byob, you should be full when you leave. We had a nice time, but It was too hyped up and I was disappointed.Special Features:
- NiceDannyDined on 1/17/2014Went here for "date night" this past Friday. It is a nice place however very small. We were seated at a small table and I must've bumped elbows with the guy at the next table at least 3 times. The food was great. We started with the best salad and the cheese plate... Both excellent. The service was friendly and accommodating. Despite the tight quarters, we would certainly venture back to try the rest of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favoite PlaceLuv2eatVIPDined on 1/17/2014We go to Cass Diva all the time and are never disappointed. My favorite entre is Steve's veal chop. It is the best in the city! Service is always friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Casta Diva is a keeper!elveDined on 1/15/2014Every couple of months our friend from Connecticut visits and we look for a restaurant that is new to our group of five. We were not disappointed with our choice. We each selected a different entree and no one was disappointed. The scallops were divine, and the calamari appetizer as well as the beet salad were excellent! I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood BYOBMbreakirVIPDined on 1/14/2014Four of us ordered four different entrees, three different salads, and shared the Italian sausage pasta. All dishes were excellent and beautifully presented. Service was great but not intrusive. We love the BYOB format and pricing is very reasonable given the food quality. Only drawback is it is cash only. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good BYOBCopiouseatsVIPDined on 12/31/2013Food and service was very good. The menu could have been a bit more expansive, but the four of us certainly found wonderful choices on the menu. Great neighborhood restaurant, and we love that it is BYOBSpecial Features:
- Outstanding BYOB!RickDined on 12/27/2013The three of us all enjoyed each our courses at this charming BYOB. The food was great and the server didn't pressure us to order or to leave when we had finished our excellent meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food quality is terrificFoodiesVIPDined on 12/21/2013The food quality is terrific and the menu, though small, had a perfect variety of choices. We look forward to coming back!Special Features:
- Great BYOBSatisfiedDinerVIPDined on 12/21/2013Small but bustling - the food is delicious, the homemade pasta just "makes" every dish melt in your mouth. Went for the second time in 3 weeks and was not disappointed. The poached pears for dessert were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a really excellentDrexelProfDined on 12/14/2013This is a really excellent little BYOB in the neighborhood. My wife and I frequently just decide to grab a bottle of wine and head there for dinner during the week. The food is great and service is really nice, but do remember that it is cash only... I suspect the cash only and BYO is what keeps this place from being a mad house every evening. But I for one am glad of it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovatively excellent italianOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013innovatively excellent italian fare. loved the sweet potato gnocchi, that was a side to my duck. excellent calamari puttenesca. the waitress could have been a bit warmer, but she was fine. and the rest of the staff was great.Special Features:
- Consistently goodKarenrVIPDined on 12/13/2013We have been coming here for a number of years and always enjoy the dining experience. Menses change with some frequency, so always something new to try. The califlower soup was excellent, as was the crispy skin branzino, and the wild boar pasta. Nice presentation as well.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/13/2013I've been going to the place for years but the latest meal I ate there was probably the best yet! The salmon had beautifully crunchy skin and was topped with vegetables cooked to perfection. I highly recommend this place but I am a little wary of doing so because if it becomes more and more popular (which it should) I won't be able to get in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food as alwaysjoysiiieDined on 12/13/2013but I really wish they would bring in some gluten free pasta and bread optionsSpecial Features:
- Great Philly restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/13/2013This restaurant has a wonderful menu, great food and excellent service.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!CenterCityFoodieDined on 12/12/2013Casta Diva never disappoints - the food is always excellent! It is one of our favorite restaurants. Sometimes the noise level is too high, if there are large parties, but fortunately, on this visit, the noise level was fine. I had the salmon and it was outstanding. Our guests had the scallops and one of the pasta dishes and were both pleased. And I loved the ginger gelato!Special Features:
- Great FindPhilly86VIPDined on 12/11/2013My wife and I ended up in the city and we looked on Open Table for a BYOB restaurant. Casta Diva had good reviews so we gave it a try. Glad we did. This little restaurant was wonderful. The chef really takes pride in his elegant presentations . . . and the food was delicious too! The servers were very attentive. We were originally seated at a table in the front with a great window view. Unfortunately in winter it was very cold and drafty. (F. Y. I.) We asked to be moved and were quickly accommodated. We were surprised by the "CASH ONLY" printed on the menu. I would have stopped at the ATM if I had realized. Not a big menu but everything we tried was terrific! Great neighborhood find!Special Features:
- Great local find off RittenhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/7/2013Good food and reasonable prices (considering neighborhood) with great service and BYOB also! Small room so if you are looking for private table for intimate conversation - you may want to try somewhere else but this will definitely on our list to return again.Special Features:
- BirthdaynancyVIPDined on 12/4/2013I had noted on my reservation that this was a birthday celebration. They did nothing to acknowledge that occasion. Why ask if you don't intend to make the occasion a bit more festive?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDanaDined on 12/3/2013I was there on a weekday evening with friends. Everyone loved their meals. I had the calamari for an appetizer. It was tender and tasty, nicely spiced. One of my friends had the mushroom soup and raved about it. The scallops entrée was absolutely wonderful -- three nice size scallops perfectly done with cauliflower and a delicious pea puree. We commented on how much space we had between tables and that we could actually have a dinner conversation without having to yell above the noise. I'd definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winter delightCuriouspalateDined on 11/23/2013This intimate, warmly furnished space was, yet again, inviting--and satisfying--for a winter supper. Its menu favors earthy, stronger flavors and textures even to its salads, but the concept is sophisticated and well executed. A particular favorite are the pappardelle with wild boar ragu. The staff is attentive and warm, and the other diners who swarm in (we could only get a 6:30 table one Saturday night) lend yet another convivial note. It's a superior spot in a neighborhood with many good small restaurants.Special Features:
- overpricedpt109Dined on 11/21/2013My date and I each had an appetizer and a main course, and the bill plus tip was over $90. How is that possible at a BYO that takes cash only!? Overrated.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Divine salads and pasta will definitely frequent this cozy BYOB Italian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Lucky NeighborhoodPhilFoodDined on 11/9/2013I wish my neighborhood had a fine restaurant like Casta Diva. This BYO is a treat. From appetizers to dessert, we enjoyed our dinner. Highlights were the Beef Carpaccio and Sautéed Calamari and the Trofie pasta - if you love wild mushrooms, this dish is perfection. Rather than hunting for the mushrooms, they were plentiful and the earthiness of the dish still sings in my mind. We had two slight disappointments that prevented a five star rating; the caesar salad came without anchovies and the skin on the duck breast entree could have been crisped quite a bit more (something we asked about specifically). While the waiter brought anchovies to the table for the salad, that doesn't match having them macerated properly into the dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOB close to everythingDinerDined on 11/8/2013We dined with a group of 5 people, everyone getting something different off the menu from apps to salads to the entree. Let me tell you, we all loved the food and I would highly recommend this restaurant! And on a more personal note, if you like duck...you HAVE to try theirs off the menu...DELICIOUS!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yes and NoMicheleDined on 10/26/2013The food was very good, however, they ran out of scallops for my husband and sister's plate so they shared what was left I suppose. My husband (who is a chef by trade) asked what the portion size was the waitress could not provide an answer. We found this ridiculous since there are only a handful of choices on the menu. With a small menu the servers should be able to answer simple questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really tasty foodSilverQueenVIPDined on 10/26/2013This small BYO has a limited menu - fish, pasta, meat, fowl - and all food is delicious. We were a group of 6 people, most of whom had never been here. Everyone agreed that it was outstanding and we all want to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dinner, excellent.cerneDined on 10/23/2013First time dinner, excellent. Will go back many more timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.