CAST at the Viceroy
1819 Ocean Ave.
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
CAST at the Viceroy
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/santamonica/dining_and_nightlife/whist
- Phone: (310) 260-7511
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Saturday and Sunday 7:00am- 11:00am Weekend a la carte Brunch, Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am- 2:00 pm Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 6:30pm - 10:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Tony DiSalvo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Vibrant, inviting and definitely unique: Viceroy's dramatic spaces are ideal venues for stylish private parties, one-of-a-kind business meetings and truly unforgettable events in Santa Monica.
- Special Events: Contact email@example.com or 310 260 7507 to book your next Special Event for 12 or more people at Cast
A word from CAST at the Viceroy
CAST at Viceroy Santa Monica exceeds all expectations of sophisticated dining. Executive Chef Tony DiSalvo’s culinary savvy is on full display as he creates a globally-influenced menu sourced from local markets and farms. Focusing on taste combinations and traditional technique, Chef Tony’s cultural sensibility is dictated by the seasonal and authentic flavors of Los Angeles. Cast's stunning interior décor features a central dining room that includes communal tables and booths for a cozy crowd. Beautifully detailed mosaic sliding panel doors transform the traditional dining room into an intimate space perfect for a private affair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
CAST at the Viceroy - Best Restaurants in Santa Monica ›
CAST at the Viceroy reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (11)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (10)special occasion (9)hot spot (8)great for brunch (6)neighborhood gem (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Breakfast - goodDoctorDoomDined on 11/8/2014Outdoor seating was nice. Food was good, not special. Breakfast menu quite limited. Certainly overpriced. There was $7 charge for valet Sat Morning despite what open table's info that breakfast and lunch valet was free. I don't regret coming here, but would not go out of my way to try againI would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnetteKDined on 11/5/2014Loved the place, the food & service. Wish it had an ocean view. However the lush grounds and the garden setting make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Cast @ Viceroy!Emily33Dined on 10/18/2014Had a great date night with my husband! Food was delicious and the service was excellent. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BreakfastSundayBreakfastDined on 10/5/2014We were looking for a mellow, chic, spot for Breakfast and found it at Cast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic yet laid back lunchCC57Dined on 10/4/2014My recent al fresco lunch at Cast was perfect. Although it was unseasonably warm in Santa Monica (95 degrees), the outdoor patio was in the shade making it a delightful experience. I saw a group of young ladies in the cabana by the pool enjoying a casual bridal shower? I like how the hotel vibe is chic yet relaxed. The food was well prepared and the service was topnotch.Special Features:
- Small Plates + AtmosphereCarolDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoyed the patio dining and the ambiance. The staff was really quite helpful with adjusting heaters and turning down the volume of a speaker (really loud music makes for difficult dinner conversation). Love the small plate/sharing concept and menu was delish and interesting.Special Features:
- Elegant and DeliciousFoodHunterVIPDined on 9/26/2014Cast has a an international gourmet menu. We tried Chicken wrap--and it was outstanding. The sauce was a barbecue like sauce but it was tangy and had robust flavor--and not sweet like other barbecue sauce preparations. The other dish was salmon and it was also wonderful. The restaurant is at the back of the Viceroy hotel, an old-time, iconic hotel on Ocean Blvd in Santa Monica. Dining is poolside--quiet, elegant and tranquil. The service is very good--the waiters know their dishes and can help you choose. Wine selection is somewhat limited, but all good. The Jidori chicken or the duck are also said to be above average.Special Features:
- Great for plate sharingKathbDined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed breakfast, lunch, poolside snacks, dinner and drinks in the bar over a 2 day period. We ate both inside and outside. Heaters outside beside each table allow a little warmth for those who want it. The new menu is fantastic for sharing plates and all the food was fresh and delicious with a classy presentation. Breakfast selections are really interesting. It was hard not to order the quinoa eggs each morning. Fresh squeezed juice was served at just the right temperature. The staff seem to genuinely love their work and service was prompt and attentive. I mentioned we were gluten free when I made the reservation and our server made sure he mentioned it as soon as he came to our table. He told us how easily they accommodate it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LAKT13Dined on 8/16/2014A memorable, very LA chic spot. The decor is fab as is the food. Planning on getting a cabana reserved for my bday dinner.Special Features:
- AmaryllisVIPDined on 8/15/2014Our evening at Cast -- though it was not a "special occasion" -- felt like a grand event. I was in a party of four and, with a couple of exceptions (a steak order flub and a valet parking flub), every detail of the evening was top notch. On the whole, I look back on it as a fabulous evening. My Ravioli starter, Scallops main course, and Peach Crumble dessert were outstanding! Plus, the clams that accompanied my friend's Halibut made me want to scream with ecstasy -- I'm not sure exactly what was in the mystery drizzle but it was frothy and exquisite. We enjoyed being in the incredibly beautiful outdoor setting; and found our server to be extremely patient and helpful, a well as a lot of fun. I'd go back in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Great service, food just averagesarahkmgDined on 8/2/2014The service was outstanding, but the food was just okay. We ordered 6 small/medium plates to share. The first 3 (brussel sprouts, spinach salad, and grilled octopus were great), but the rest of the dishes fell short (short ribs, pork belly, and quail). We are definitely foodies and this wasn't the food experience we were hoping for, but the drinks were great and the outdoor seating was perfect on a warm summer night.Special Features:
- food ok ambience greatJazzyJDined on 8/1/2014I expected the quality of the food to be much better given the great ambience. We started with the brussel sprouts which was great. Then we shared T none steak was gritty and the halibut with clams had what i thought were "bad" clams couldn't eat it. The halibut was fine. The service was top notch!Special Features:
- Glamorous Gem in Santa MonicaFabFelitaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Every time I'm at the Viceroy, I'm immediately transported into this magical enclave of BEAUTY, WHIMSY and EXCELLENCE. I immediately feel enlivened, I can exhale because everything just works, because I know I'll be well taken care of. I can relax, be served, eat well, have time and space to connect and talk and laugh and enjoy and be. Here you get it all -- as a solo diner, for a romantic tete, large group with friends and family: * Great Ambiance - sit outdoors by the heat lamps, in their oversize Alice in Wonderland chairs * Great Food, esp. small bites/appetizers (gnocchi, kale salad, cornbread were highlights) * Great Service (DeeDee was especially attentive and boy can she read the menu) Always love being here!Special Features:
- The following 544 reviews are from the CAST at the Viceroy reviews archive.
- Cornbread & outside dining goodGamsNEggsVIPDined on 6/24/2014One doesn't go here for the food. The satay was so tough I couldn't chew it (the sauce was good, so I licked it a little). I didn't ask them to, but they took that off the bill. The sausage with Brussels sprouts was also terrible (one wonders how a chef could ruin this...). The beer I was recommended was very good however (forgot the name now, something German beginning with an "A") and the Cosmo was okay. The funnel cake was unimpressive but the smidgen of ice cream was great. Not sure I'd go here again unless I were desperate. The grounds are beautiful, but cornbread isn't really enough for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New experienceSambojamboDined on 6/20/2014We went on a Friday at 6:30 pm. There weren't many people around so it felt a little awkward until 7:15 when people showed up. The food was incredible. I had the chili fried chicken and she had the gnocchi. I would have appreciated a little more attention from the waiter from our first interaction but after a while he warmed up to us. Overall a good experience. Two meals, a kale salad and a glass of wine came out to $85.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly LovelyPurrfectPawsVIPDined on 6/7/2014We celebrated a special occasion with a brunch outside overlooking the pool. Service was attentive and professional without being overbearing. We each had an egg dish - one was Moroccan flavored and one Mexican flavored, and both were delicious. We'll return for dinner another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Sitting outside is a must! Fantastic casual atmosphere. On a very wind night the poolside dining was secluded from the wind. Great good and drink! Very good wine selection. Our server was also very friendly and genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Easter BrunchLoveGoodFoodDined on 4/20/2014Cast restaurant was amazing for Easter brunch in all respects. I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cast is a great experience!LorenzoDined on 4/18/2014A beautiful hotel, a great vibe and great service. The food and ambience at Cast is great. Our waiter Antonio was on top of everything. The food is yummy and the wines are great! We ate the Kurobata Pork, the Hamachi and the Spinach salad. Everything was delicious. I highly recommend the Malbec from Argentina for your wine choice. If you're seeking good food with great atmosphere and great service, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Lunch!1oakparkmamaVIPDined on 4/8/2014I had the miso salmon, with brown rice and asparagus. The salmon was cooked to perfection! The brown rice and asparagus were a delicious accompaniment. The interior of the restaurant was eclectic and vibrant. The service was outstanding! I was hoping to have dined outside, but there was a movie crew, shooting a movie. I will just have to return to enjoy alfresco dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingKpackardDined on 3/4/2014Everything you want a dinner to be. Delicious, beautiful, paced properly, great service, great ambiance it was perfect. We sat outside which although it was chilly and I hate being cold I couldn't bring myself to accept their many offers to relocate us inside, it was just too darn beautiful outside with all the candles, cabanas and mirrors not to mention plenty of outdoor heaters so I did finally warm up. You absolutely must try the Brussels sprouts and the gnocchi. I am still dreaming about it!!! I am a total foodie and the AGM at a Beverly Hills hotel, believe me when I say YOU MUST EAT HERE!!! Thank u Cast staff for a great experience, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/1/2014I was a little leary based on some of the other reviews, but this place was outstanding all around, Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for vday and there courseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Went for vday and there course prefix was not up to par for the money spent. The food was rather bland and lack luster. The meat and fish were over cooked. The lobster bisque was plain nasty. The hamachi and oysters lack flavor and was dry It's funny regulars price 40.00 valentines 100? Lol They added a 20% tip so no real reason for the service to Be motivated that night.Special Features:
- Great service, ridiculous corkage!!EatrightDined on 2/7/2014Great service, everyone was really on it. My mistake was bringing my own wine bottles. I've never paid more than $20/bottle for corkage. This restaurant charged me a total of $155 for 4 bottles corkage!!! I like to bring my own wine and this would probably be the one thing that deters me from coming again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CelebratingPamelaDined on 1/21/2014The restaurant CAST at The Viceroy Hotel is a superb place to celebrate. It is hip and chic and well attended by beautiful people. The wait staff was extremely polite and attentive. The food was good and the choices were interesting. We enjoyed our birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The buffet had a rather smallOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013The buffet had a rather small selection of foods, though the quality was quite good. Salads were excellent, the side dishes not so much. The deserts, aside from the eggnog bread pudding, was not so great, and there was not much to choose from.After adding the extra charges to the fixed buffet price, our bill jumped up significantly from what we had expected it to be. Still, beautiful day, beautifully decorated outdoors/indoors restaurant. The tables were set in a way that they would easliy accomodate families with children, as well as couples. An enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretOnewhoknowzDined on 12/24/2013The ambiance is chic and gorgeous, makes you feel like you are going to have an amazing and special experience which you are! The food is superb as well as the service. It's quiet, you don't have to shout to be heard. This is my new spot for special occasions.
- Loved the decor!!DarstcoachVIPDined on 12/24/2013If you want a fun, campy, elegant place to take a date or out-of-town guests, this is terrific. We were there for Christmas Eve dinner and the food was uneven. The Chestnut Soup was outstanding...and then everything else was good but not special. Good service. The main reason to go yo CAST is for the amazing visual appeal. We ate outside at night with massive palm trees over head. It was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be a "Great Neighborhood Gem"clarktaxDined on 11/28/2013Great location, good quality food, needs kind servers that are concerned about customers.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving Brunchkg1982Dined on 11/28/2013Went for Thanksgiving brunch and it was very good. It had mashed potatoes and chocolate pecan pie and those were my two main concerns. The mashed potatoes were just ok but the pie was good - the homemade whipped cream was excellent. The turkey was very good. Quiches were good. All in all I liked it and would go back. Would have given the food 5 stars but like I said the mashed potatoes were just ok. Service was excellent. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialRigagigVIPDined on 11/13/2013Cold service, very mediocre food (like a treasure hunt to find the tiny ingredients supposedly in your omelet!) and expensive. If it were not so nice dining outside, the meal would have been a total disaster.Special Features:
- Go for the view not the foodFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2013The ambiance is nice but the portions are tiny and the food has little or no taste. I ate there with a date and after spending $175 for dinner we had to go for dinner afterwards. It is not worth the ambiance or the money. Go to the lounge if you want to see the Viceroy but do not eat there.Special Features:
- versatile placePatrickDined on 10/26/2013Unique food, good wine list and an outdoor ambiance make this a nice spot for many occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at the Whist successor.twebbmdVIPDined on 10/25/2013Outdoor dining at Cast was a very pleasant experience. The food and wine selection was very good, and the service was impeccable. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningluvgoodfoodDined on 10/18/2013From a far, the hotel didn't look very impressive. But the interior was immaculate. The food was flavorful and the service was great!!! I would definitely come back and ask for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerfindmeDined on 10/12/2013Cast is a secret garden, with the most amazing service and delicious food. Relaxing and romantic. It would also be a fantastic place to entertain clients at one of the Cabana tables. You could actually here each other speak. Then after dinner set them loose into the hip bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great (Don't go on Sunday)SteakLoverVIPDined on 9/15/2013We had eaten at Whist and loved it. After looking at the new menu, we decided to give CAST a try. When we arrived, the place was empty. And on Sundays, they serve a truncated menu with no biscuits or cornbread. Bummer. The service was rather slow; ten minutes before we saw a waiter. We all started with salad; my Caesar was okay and the other three had green salads which were greens with dressing. Not too inspired. Our entrees were delicious. I had gnocchi with creamy mushroom sauce. Absolutely incredible, though the potion was rather small. I would say maybe eight gnocchi? But the sauce was so good I asked for some bread so I could get every last drop. It's unfair to call this a review of CAST as we didn't experience their full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confusing DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2013The location of the restaurant is great and the service was very good. The food was not very exciting, in fact we skipped dessert. The whole experience is a bit confusing since the restaurant seemed to be mid-conversion to a dance club. That would have been fine since it would have added energy to the overall experience. By 8:00 pm more than half the tables were empty, although the bar seemed to be going well. It looked like it may have been fun for dancing later on, once the party go going.Special Features:
- first time dining hereChadDined on 8/17/2013very good experience I just wished they gave us a table by the pool and not close to the kitchen door and they need more menu options and not be out of fish dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If I could dine every night at CASTamandaDined on 8/2/2013...it would be a no brainer. The opportunity to show off to an out of town guest proved a great reason to check out the new menu, and despite my (arguably unreasonably high) expectations I was floored by the quality of my dinner. Viceroy's charm is in its ambience, venue, service, and location, but its true merit is the menu - covered top to bottom in dishes that are as exciting and innovative as they are delicious. We ordered a few staples (ceviche, the famous gnocchi, lamb meatballs, and the most delicious biscuits I've ever eaten) but were blown away by the little adventures on our table: the fried quail, the octopus, and the incredibly creative lobster. Phenomenal. Besting a CAST regular has one downside: the envy of the out of townerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.