Cass House Inn & Restaurant
222 N Ocean Ave
Cayucos, CA 93430Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Cass House Inn & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.casshouseinn.com/
- Phone: 8059953669x
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday - Monday: 5:30pm - 7:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Jensen Lorenzen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that seats 12 people. We also host weddings in our garden for up to 100 people, please inquire for details.
- Private Party Contact: Grace Lorenzen 8059953669x
A word from Cass House Inn & Restaurant
The Cass House features five luxuriously appointed guest rooms and an intimate dining room that is open for dinner, both of which are housed in the meticulously restored home of Cayucos’ founder, Captain James Cass. The ornamental, culinary and entertaining gardens that surround the house are available for events or leisurely wandering and admiring. The Cass House is an ideal retreat for unwinding and enjoying the relaxed lifestyle and beautiful scenery of California’s Central Coast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Cass House Inn & Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Cayucos ›
Cass House Inn & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (25)romantic (20)fit for foodies (19)notable wine list (11)neighborhood gem (5)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Wonderful MealNellieracerDined on 7/31/2014From the very first course, all the way to the fourteenth course, our meal was superb! Not only was every dish and wine pairing excellent but they took the time to explain what each course was and how it should be eaten and why they paired the wine with it. All in all, it was a very memorable meal to celebrate my parents' 70th birthdays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind experiencemoenliDined on 7/26/2014Absolutely amazing experience both times I've dined here - from the service, presentation, to the food composition and thought that goes into each course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteSherryDined on 7/19/2014We celebrated a birthday for my brother, who is a foodie and flew in from Dallas for a weekend in Cayucos. The evening far exceeded all of our expectations! We will return and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- expensive choice in CayucossloguyDined on 7/19/2014With Hoppi's having gone somewhat downhill, the Cass House is an expensive alternative. It serves over 10 very small courses over a three hour dining experience for $85. The food is tasteful if a little unremarkable for the level that they are shooting for. Very high quality, but nothing that knocks your socks off. The wine pairings are very good and generous pours for $40. Unless you are dining for a special occasion, I would pocket the difference and choose the Galley in Morro Bay or Robbins in Cambria. Service and ambiance were excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014This was by far one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Not only was the food exceptional, but the combination of fresh, home grown ingredients, a wonderfully creative chef and knowledgeable, attentive waiters all combined to provide a wonderful evening. This somewhat hidden gem ranks right up there with The French Laundry without the pretentiousness. We would truly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the area who is looking for a truly special evening!Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceJennysgemsDined on 7/6/2014Unique and creative chefs tasting menu. Beautiful presentation and unusual food combinations. I loved the wine pairings too. Foodies will appreciate this restaurant the most. Wonderful ambiance, thoughtful waitstaff, everything cooked to perfection. Less adventurous types may raise an eyebrow or two, but with an open mind and palate should enjoy the experience. My husband indulged me, letting me take him here and I thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience. Obviously I'm the foodie in this couple and this restaurant was right up my alley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2014Went here for our 30th Anniversary and it was such a treat. The food was interesting, beautifully presented and very delightful to the taste buds. The 14 courses were each unique and usually just a few bites so the meal was not overwhelming. That said, I was quite full at the end and I am a big eater. The service was impeccable with a very nice hostess, great wait staff and helpers. We felt very well taken care and they even helped us celebrate our anniversary in a wonderful way. If u want to enjoy a special occasion (it does take 3+ hours) or just try some great innovative food that is nearly all from the local area, then this is the place to go! Highlight of our trip to California!Special Features:
- An enchanting dining experience!figgybirdDined on 6/29/2014The Cass House is my absolute *favorite* place to get away and enjoy a fabulous, multi-course meal with expertly paired wine offerings. The staff really go above and beyond to ensure that your dining experience is flawless. Every single time my husband and I have eaten here, we have been dazzled by the unique flavor profiles of each course, savoring each nibble and eagerly awaiting our next plate. This place is foodie and wino *heaven*. Where else on the central coast can you find incomparable service, ambiance, food, and drink? If your party arrives early to your reservation, make sure you take a minute to stroll the grounds, and savor the roses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!IsaakDined on 6/27/2014Dinner at Cass House was truly an amazing experience. Each course of the 14 course meal was creative with a lot of thought put into it. Not only was the food awesome but the service just pushed it over the top. The waiters were very knowledgeable about each dish and took a genuine effort to ensure your experience was a good one. I definitely would recommend everyone to experience a 3 hour dinner adventure with the Cass House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencemb77Dined on 6/13/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food and service were outstanding. The explanations provided with each dish and wine pairing were more than descriptive; they expanded our knowledge, understanding and appreciation of what we were about to consume.Special Features:
- not to be missed.OpinionatedDined on 6/5/2014Fourteen courses, about a 3 hour dining experience. Beautifully tasting and presented cuisine, for those who truly like an unusual dining experience. Quite a deal at $85.Special Features:
- Unusual experienceFranklydevine41Dined on 5/17/2014So happy we tried this great restaurant, highly recommend it. Very unique and relaxing, great for fine dining!! Staff was very informative in all areas.. Food was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I like the atmosphere elegant yet a home like feel. We enjoyed the experience and we're impressed how the chef created food that awoke ones palate while at the same time reflected the artsy side. Last but not least the presentation was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Cass House Inn & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Perfect dinnermevansDined on 4/27/2014My husband and I ate here one night in addition to our stay at the Cass House. The dinner was perfection. We were served a 14 course meal with elegance and careful description by the wait staff. The service was above and beyond what we had expected. The Cass House Restaurant is ideal for celebrating a special occasion. Can't say enough good things about this place!Special Features:
- Not My StyleMikeVIPDined on 4/25/2014The chef at the Cass House puts a lot of thought and energy into presentation, but none into whether the dish is satisfying. If you dine there, you will be served several extremely small portions in elegant dishes, or on blocks of wood, or among rocks, all of which leaves you hungry. Thank God we got bread after the fourth course, which we wolfed down. It's like going to a wine tasting where they pour such a minuscule amount that you are left wondering if you got enough of a taste to tell anything about the vintage. Finally, this was a 2 hour and 40 minute ordeal. Service, on the other hand, is excellent, probably boosted by the 18% mandatory tip.
- Another outstanding mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/18/2014The Cass House did not disappoint. It was a wonderful meal with many small, interesting courses presented in a variety of interesting ways. Our group of four liked everything.. Our only choice other than the wine was a choice between chicken and halibut. Both of those courses were excellent. The presentation was so creative. Probably our favorite course was their version of "fish and chips" made with abalone and squid ink. Absolutely outstanding! Kudos to the chef. This is truly fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best culinary experience ever!CulinaryArtistDined on 4/18/2014I have never had food (and wine pairings) so good. Everything was well thought-out, flavorful, and unique. They even prepared non-alcoholic beverage pairing for my boyfriend who does not drink - and they did it at my request without flinching when I asked. I will definitely go back and have already started singing Cass House's praises.Special Features:
- Fine Dining At Its Bestdine4funVIPDined on 4/13/2014I am thinking this is what dining at The French Laundry might be like. It is a tasting menu, 14 courses in all, with the option of a wine pairing as well. It sounds daunting, but the courses were all small and exquisitely presented. All the greens were from the garden outside the kitchen and all the other ingredients were also of the highest quality. The chef is a rock star and turned out some amazing dishes. The sommelier was incredibly knowledgeable and absolutely charming. All in all, a very memorable experience and worth every penny.Special Features:
- Phenomenal experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014My husband and it visited Cass House on a friend's recommendation, and it exceeded our expectations. The evening was one of the most memorable dining experiences we've had, from the exceptional food to the intimate atmosphere and the most welcoming service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2014If you are a foodie and often ask the chef to just bring the food then this is your place. 14-18 courses, $85, exquisite presentations, one seating, max 20 people. Will match anything in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A true gem of a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2014Bravo to the chef and his staff! The tasting menu was absolutely poetic. Ingredients harvested just hours ago from the Inn's own backyard were presented differently throughout the fourteen courses, like recurring themes in a story that you don't want to end. Every dish was a whimsical delight. A great restaurant for foodies who are looking for ingenuity in every bite and for home cooks who want to be inspired. The server, who is also the head gardener, was amazingly knowledgeable and personable. He created a "comfortable fine dining experience," which had always been an oxymoron to me until now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Run don't WalkLiveBigDined on 3/17/2014This place has a historically good reputation, but it was a horrible experience for us. First, it is a 14 course tasting menu, with only one choice for "entree." So, they bring a bite sized morsel every 12 to 15 minutes or so. The first course was about 2 tablespoons of carrot/beet juice. 15 minutes later, 3 small chips with 3 pea-sized bits of flavored cream cheese came atop a block of wood. Next three small marble sized spheres of chopped/fried abalone came in an abalone shell with a bunch on similar sized white rocks. The server said, and I'm not making this up, "don't eat the rocks." And so on. I could describe each "course" similarly, but for those of you still bent on going, I won't spoil the whole thing. $106pp, no drinks!
- Spectacular!bnnyDined on 3/15/2014The food and service was amazing. The Cass house made accommodations for major dietary restrictions of mine. It was delicious and lovely. Superb!!Special Features:
- One of the best meals everGB2014Dined on 3/14/2014This was easily one of the finest dining experiences we've ever had. It was a special occasion and I only wish we had our anniversary more than once a year so we could come back more often. We are lucky to have such an amazing establishment on the Central Coast. This is clearly a labor of love for the staff and it shows. The attention to detail and creativity demonstrated with the amazing 13 course menu is unparalleled. We've already recommended this location to countless friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place for big eaters4sustainabilityVIPDined on 3/8/2014Not a place for big eaters or meat-and-potato types. One of us left still hungry. Interesting, inventive, flavorful, multi-mini course menu would be greatly enhanced by a legible menu that listed ingredients--what we got was hand written and more poetic than descriptive. I also like to know the provenance of what I eat. That said, the chef is very talented and creative. Just be prepared for numerous mostly bite-size courses. Price rose 10+% between our reserving and our dining. It would have been really nice to have been notified.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/6/2014My husband and I dined here for my birthday and it was fantastic. Each course was delicious, the wine pairings were perfect and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SLO French Laundry?PasoEdDined on 2/28/2014This is as close to the French Laundry dining experience as one could imagine in the entire Central Coast. 14 courses of exquisite food artistically presented in an historic old home that doubles as a B&B. The food takes fresh to a whole new level, with virtually everything with the exception of meat, poultry or fish being grown or made on the property. The optional wine paring was expertly paired to the various courses. All around, an enjoyable and memorable meal prepared and presented by a knowledgeable and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014The evening was magical from the moment we walked in. Ryan, our server was extremely gracious. We chose not do the wine paring so Ryan suggested a wine for my husband which worked well throughout the meal. He explained each course, the ingredients and even cooking techniques. The chef is a genius! He uses only the freshest meats and produce, much of it grown or processed on site. Every bite was incredible! I loved the multiple dessert courses. It was a delightful way to celebrate 40 years of marriage!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines day getaway.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014This place is perfect for that special day such as a birthday or anniversary. The servings are small but very amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cass House ExperienceKathyMHVIPDined on 1/10/2014This one of a kind restaurant is SLO County's finest for contemporary meal of the upmost quality. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteMiraTDined on 1/4/2014My husband and I absolutely love the Cass House. It is an exceptional dining experience on every visit. We enjoy the ever changing seasonal menu with local meat and produce from their garden. The staff is always pleasant, attentive and ensure one's every comfort. The Cass House generally boasts a pre-set four couse menu with two options per course along with a suggested wine pairing per course. They are happy to accommodate guests with specific dietary needs when they make reservations. Be prepared for an unforgettable dining experience. This is a restaurant for those who appreciate fine, exquisitely prepared cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening outDNTCookDined on 12/27/2013Plan on a wonderful dining experience with four hours of tasting unique foods and wines that you will probably never experience again. Special attention to details in presentation, careful service by the wait staff while being educated to the fresh, local ingredients and unique wines are all part of this "must do" central coast experience. This is a once in a lifetime happening.. However, I recommend that you return on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My partner's foodie birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2013Just excellent. A leisurely 3 hour dining experience with a dozen delicious plates. All the staff we interacted with we're wonderful, but the names we know are Ryan, AJ, and Candice. You were lovely. The house is lovely. The food is well crafted and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs better servers!MarilynDined on 12/6/2013Considering the price, along with the very imaginative food, we would have appreciated being served by people with more knowledge of the prep. and ingredients. Both servers seemed to lack enthusiasm and interest. They seemed bored and uninterested. We would have enjoyed our experience much more had they gotten involved. Additionally, when we made the reservations we told them it was an 80th birthday. They forgot. They also said they would comp. a bottle of champagne due to a reservation mistake on their part. Again, they forgot. They need better training. How about a little more wine in those glasses? The pairing was great!Special Features:
- Dining ExperienceSpringmeyerDined on 11/22/2013Dinner at the Cass House is not just dinning out at a high-end restaurant; it is a very special dining experience that is best shared with special people in your life. The cuisine is world class, but don't go to the Cass House just for that, go for the wonderful treat of elegance and warmth that comes the the service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu and Wine pairingTrifam3Dined on 11/10/2013We had a fabulous dinner. It was intimate and quiet. Our server was excellent and the food delicious. The meal is a tasting menu and we were enjoying our meal for over 2 hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real prizeDaveSVIPDined on 10/13/2013A terrific fixed price menu with great wine pairings. Notable to have this caliber if place on tiny SLO county and really tiny Cayucos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stunning venue, excellent foodgogirl1213VIPDined on 10/12/2013Cass House is in every way a fine dining experience. This is big city food in a small town location - at its very best. An exceptional value as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!FletchDined on 10/11/2013The food is fantastic and inventive. The wine pairings are flawless. Ryan and the rest of the staff is fun and knowledgable. Very small plates and you think you're not going leave full but it just keeps coming. We've been several times and it's always been amazing. The pairing version of the menu is very worth it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th Anniversary treat!WendelaDined on 9/26/2013Our three children and their spouses treated us for our 40th wedding Anniversary! The dinner was spectacular and respectfully served by a very knowledgeable waiter, Ryan. I recommend Cass House highly for those who are celebrating an event and want to have memorable memories from that occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.