400 Castro St.
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cascalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6509409500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Antonio Flores Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: They offer a non-private room that can accommodate up to 26 people.
A word from Cascal
Old World taste meets New World appeal in this vibrant new restaurant concept by veteran Restaurateur, Don Durante. Serving spirited Pan-Latin cuisine, Cascal is a place to meet and linger with friends over exotic cocktails and enticing foods with bold flavors and personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cascal - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Cascal reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (151)good for groups (127)fit for foodies (124)neighborhood gem (88)vibrant bar scene (84)hot spot (83)great for lunch (79)special occasion (73)romantic (33)late-night find (26)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (24)notable wine list (21)scenic view (9)Show More
- nice for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2014The tapas are the clear star of the menu. The mushroom empanadas are quite nice, as is the watermelon salad. I've always found the paella to be a pale imitation of the real thing. Cascal's is very bland. Sangria is popular here, although I've always found their caipirinhas to be much nicer. My biggest complaint about Cascal is that it's so very loud in there, which makes conversation difficult. If you are really interested in having a conversation over drinks, Cascal is definitely not the right place to go.Special Features:
- food rocksLiluSatoriDined on 8/18/2014yummy every time yummy every time yummy every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/14/2014Fun place with great tapas. The food is very well prepared and presented and there is a great variety to choose from. Service is friendly and efficient. Wonderful specialty cocktails.Special Features:
- Excellent paella...GingerKittyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Came here with a couple of friends on a Thursday night. The place was packed and everyone seemed to be having a good time. We started the evening with the complementary bread and dipping sauce (which was absolutely delicious). Then came the scallop ceviche (mild and sweet), hummus (nothing too special), sweet corn and poblano salad (refreshing and delicious), crab and shrimp tostaditos (one word - yummy!) and mussels in a pimenton broth. Our last course was the paella cascal which was also absolutely delicious - would highly recommend this dish! The service was great and we had a very nice time.Special Features:
- Delightful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Lunch for six was great. Staff was appropriately attentive, food was creative and delicious, with a diverse-enough menu for suit everyone. Overall, a great spot. Acoustics suck if you are over 50 and trying to participate in a group conversation. Like a lot of restaurants, there is an intentional noise level to make it hip, but it makes conversations harder if you ever listened to loud rock & roll as a kid...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 10 left waiting...lbg2244Dined on 8/9/2014We had a party of 10 with reservations made a month in advance and we were still made to wait 1/2 an hour for our table. A little more experience at seating tables may have helped get our dining experience off to a better start. I've been here many times and the food is the only thing that brings me back. After waiting for 1/2 an hour for our "reserved" table -we were hungry and asked for bread multiple times and got nothing. If you don't' mind yelling to be heard you'll enjoy the noise level. Not a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great if you don't mind the noiseSlaxDined on 8/8/2014Everything is awesome, but if you're inside it gets really noisy, and then when the live music starts (which is nice btw), you can barely hear yourself. Maybe outside is better, dunno, but if you have important discussions to carry over dinner (lunch is usually quieter), probably not the right place. Otherwise, awesome, delicious paella and tapas, 10/10 would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDateVIPDined on 8/7/2014This place has outdoor dining with heat lamps, which is perfect for nice, but cool evenings. All the tapas we had were really good, I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu. The jalepeno cucumber margarita was nicely balanced with spice and sweetness. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- CascalFoodie2Dined on 8/2/2014This was not my first time dining at Cascal. It was my first time booking with Open Table however. I eat at Cascal, because the quality of the food is excellent and the service is excellent. We were served by Gil ( Gilbert) the place was busy and he was very attentive. My only complaint is. I asked to reserve seating outside, but that was not honored. I was very disappointed. The noise level inside is not conducive to good conversation, the friends that I was with were new to the restaurant, but we had not seen each other for a long time and we wanted to chat. We did get a corner table which was slightly better, but dining outside is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed customerluv2liveDined on 8/2/2014I went for lunch with my friends and I have to say I was quite disappointed. As I walked in the restaurant it smelled a mix of bleach and soap. I'm glad we sat outside so I didn't have deal with the bad odor... About a year ago the restaurant was better. As for the service it was just okay.
- Nice Ambiance, tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014I've yet to have a dish at Cascal that I did not like.Special Features:
- Dinner time!CHamabeeDined on 7/30/2014Went here before seeing Arcade Fire last week, made reservations for 5:15pm and it was PACKED. On the reservation I asked to be seated on the patio but it was way too busy for that accommodation. Served water immediately and asked if we wanted bread (hell yeah we did, we were starving). Then ordered drinks and empanadas to start. Both were delicious! Got a couple more tapas plates and drinks before heading out, one of the drinks (don't remember which one it was) but it wasn't very tasty. Overall it was a fun place to go to dine, good food and good happy hour prices. I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is so-so, but good sceneShermDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance is nice and the scene is trendy. Great outdoor dining. However, the food is underwhelming and the staff were sort of rude and impersonal. I'd recommend this place for drinks with friends and a couple of tapas--not for a special occasion or memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time Aroundlike2tryagainDined on 7/28/20141st visit, liked the food, drink choices, relaxed environment. Waiting stuff's a bit annoying. Couldn't order a 2nd glass till after dinner. 2nd visit was a downer. Reserved the table over OpenTable and liked how easy it was to get one at the right time. Upon arriving on time, still had to wait for another 15 minutes for the table. We got seated at the highest traffic area they had, which felt really offside. Chairs are higher than what I'm accustomed to, or maybe the tables are lower. Waiter seemed friendly and attentive, but that was only at the beginning. He then tried really way too hard, and in the end reached over across the table while we were in a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyLiluSatoriDined on 7/28/2014Was a great find. Made us smile. Would go back any timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!SpenceDined on 7/26/2014The food was so good and very original the way it is prepared. I always enjoy dining here.Special Features:
- Cascal lunchfoodismylifeDined on 7/25/2014the food choices are amazing and resonably price...outside umbrellas are a life saferSpecial Features:
- aaaaVIPDined on 7/24/2014never rush diners when it's closing time. unacceptable. serves need to be btter trained.
- Great food, Terrible serviceterribleserviceDined on 7/22/2014Waiter took our order and disappeared. Asked for extra plates to share Tapas dishes. Never came. Had to eat salad off bread plate. Asked person who delivered Tapas dishes for extra plates and serving spoon. Never came. Finally cornered another staff person who brought us bread plates. Dinners at other tables had dinner plates to share Paella, so they had the plates. Just did seem to care or were so busy they could not take the time. Go for the food. Bring you own plates!
- Great ExperienceOrdinaryGuyDined on 7/21/2014The dining experience at Cascal was wonderful, in the quality of food, the atmosphere, as well as the service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Have To Come Back!LovegoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014Was there on Sunday early evening. We sat outside so did not have noise problem. It was nice to note dogs are welcome outdoors. The Service was very friendly and helpful. The mango margaritas was amazing. Quesco Fundido and Mexican Gorditas were delicious. Have to come back to try rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Cascal BrunchCheweyDined on 7/20/2014Over the past year we've tried many of the tapas plates at Cascal and every one has been really delicious. The wines by the glass, including some good Spanish wines and sangria, compliment the dishes. We really liked the musician playing Spanish guitar music: created a nice ambience without being too loud.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceAlanDined on 7/19/2014Have been here several times now and each time the service and food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Good food, eat a little or a lotRichardEDined on 7/19/2014Good food in just the right portions. We order a single choice and when it arrives, we order the next choice. That way the food is spaced out with time to talk in between. Never too much noise that you cannot have a conversation. Best to reserve early in the day. We like the 6:45 time the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Timer to CascalBigEdDined on 7/19/2014Our overall experience was great. The food is very good. We ordered various Tapas plates. We loved the Sizzling Shrimp, Churrasco and Beef Taquitos. We also ordered Sangria for the first time and had the Red Sangria and the Sparkling Sangria. Both were very good. The service was also very good. Being first time visitors, we wish the server would have taken the time to explain the menu a bit more, but ti was not difficult to figure out. Also the room temperature was a bit warm. We are definitely going back soon and I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TapasRNelsonDined on 7/13/2014First time at this restaurant. We went for an late lunch/early dinner. We ordered the tapas. Everything was tasty and great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentIbis2012Dined on 7/12/2014Great food, nice ambience and small portions that allows everybody the opportunity to share something new. You must try the empenadas.....spectacular!Special Features:
- FoodieveggieDined on 7/11/2014Great place! Not too many veggie choices. And not for the health conscious! Love the Tres leches cakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, Atrocious serviceDondersVIPDined on 7/1/2014As usual, the food at Cascal is fantastic, but the service is embarrassing. Hostesses are cute but lack poise, organization, and communication skills. I received a call to confirm my reservation only three hours prior to the designated time during the workday. Made a special request which was ignored rather than politely declined or accommodated, and the hostess lacked the poise to hide her irritation when I reiterated the request. (Incidentally, do not let them seat you in the outdoor tables closest to the sidewalk on the corner as they are horribly exposed to the wind, and if it's even slightly cold the heaters will do you no good.) Must have had at least four different waiters who never once asked us if we wanted refills on our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Food & MusicKojoDined on 6/28/2014What a great spot for food and music. While the food is constantly excellent, the latin/cuban jazz inspired music the last few Saturdays has been sensational. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cascal DelighttapasenjoyerDined on 6/28/2014We went the tapas route and had a wonderful variety of dishes. In every dish there was a freshness and flavor that was a treat to eat. The crab and shrimp tostaditos was my favorite. We also enjoyed the wild mushroom empanadas, the Mexican gorditas and the churrasco. The service was friendly and helpful. Great anniversary dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love CascalAHreviewDined on 6/27/2014Cascal is great. There are wonderful sounding lunch specials, but I usually have tapas. The menu is varied and everythiing is good. This time I shared 3 tapas and a salad with a friend. The salad was super, with hearts of palm, fennel and oranges. Then we had a yummy chili relleno. If you like melted cheese, you will love it. It was a bit spicy, but not too hot. Then we had a baked eggplant tower with tomato and cheese that was savory and delicious, followed by four of the best scallops you could imagine in a buttey broth with a hint of soy. We had to drop the bread in the sauce, which the waiter said was a must. I can't wait to go back. My friend said she found her new favorite place.Special Features:
- BruinVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great food and good service, came here for a meeting and it worked out well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Food and service were excellent, as always - the noise level is more than energetic at times but understandable as this place starts buzzing even before 5:30pm, and it should be! The tapas we had (lamb enchilladas, chicken, churrasco, mushroom empanadas) were scrumptious, but my favorite dish are the Spanish potatoes with harissa salsa - not your every day fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodJasiDined on 6/21/2014Excellent service, nice tapas, great quality, ambiance, their emphinadas, paellas are always consistently enjoyableSpecial Features:
- NoisenoiseDined on 6/18/2014We were a table of five people and it was really hard to talk because of the noise level. We sat inside and it was really loud. The food and service were top notch as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cascal is a hot spotDowntownSJDined on 6/18/2014The place was hopping and most tables were already full at 5:30 on a Wednesday evening. We shared orders of beef taquitos and Cuban black beans and rice. The taquitos were fairly spicy, perhaps not a good choice if you favor mild flavors. Beans and rice were really good. My wife ordered Pescado Marbella from the tapas menu. Fantastic! The Serrano ham that it was cooked with was a very nice addition. I ordered Peruvian ceviche, which was very good. With a cocktail and several glasses of wine (at happy hour prices), the overall bill was only about $60. Service was a bit slow, but that was probably because it was pretty busy. It was still busy at 9:00 that night.Special Features:
- Cascal Wins AgainHostDined on 6/16/2014My brother and his wife were visiting from Indianapolis, and I chose Cascal for its novel and tasty cuisine. My only disappointment was the watermelon salad failed to reach the pinnacle achieved some time ago when it also include shaved radish. We had a combination of tapas and paella, and they were all good. The sauces with the shrimp croquettes and the Moroccan meatballs were outstanding. The other thing that was outstanding was the service. Our waiter was both helpful and efficient, although it did look like he was pretty busy. This was a Monday evening, and I had expected a light crowd. That was wrong! Our Open Table reservation was essential, and most of the evening there was a wait for tables. That is a popular vote.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2dineDined on 6/15/2014Every time I have had dinner at Cascal, the food has been tasty, staff friendly and enjoyed the ambience (inside or outside).Special Features:
- Fun outdoor diningf00d13Dined on 6/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed sangria and tapas outdoors before a performance at the Mountain View Center for Performing Arts. Park once, close and convenient, with a fun ambiance and good food.Special Features: