400 Castro St.
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cascalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6509409500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Antonio Flores Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: They offer a non-private room that can accommodate up to 26 people.
A word from Cascal
Old World taste meets New World appeal in this vibrant new restaurant concept by veteran Restaurateur, Don Durante. Serving spirited Pan-Latin cuisine, Cascal is a place to meet and linger with friends over exotic cocktails and enticing foods with bold flavors and personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Cascal - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Cascal reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (130)fit for foodies (121)good for groups (108)neighborhood gem (84)hot spot (78)vibrant bar scene (66)special occasion (64)great for lunch (53)romantic (32)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Love the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I always love the food at Cascal, I make a point of going there whenever I'm in the bay area. The service is often very slow, which I don't mind because we can make an evening of it; but I wouldn't go there if I were in a hurry. The only complaint I have after this last visit is that after we ate our tapas, we had dropped some food on the table (common with shared plates) and they didn't wipe it off before serving dessert. It was just kind of icky...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't Go BackLuv2eatDined on 10/23/2014This is my third time at Cascal, but I won't be back. I've ordered different dishes each time, but the food has been consistently salty. This time I tried the paella for the first time; it was not only incredibly salty, but I couldn't chew the chicken, it was so overcooked. If a Spanish restaurant can't do paella right, there's no hope.Special Features:
- Waiter rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/21/2014We told our waiter that we were going to the theatre that night and he made sure that our food came with plenty of time to enjoy it. He also picked up our payment swiftly so that we'd make it with time to spare. Gracious server and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Excited going in but disappointedMveaterDined on 10/17/2014Wanted to love this place, but the food and sangria was extremely disappointing- very heavy handed with everything. Only positive was you could hear the person you were dining with in a rather busy/noisy setting- wish all restaurants were like that.
- Great tapasBiscuitVIPDined on 10/17/2014It was my husband's first time at Cascal and we really enjoyed it. The pork belly and scallops were superb! Great outdoor patio. Lots of heat lamps for when it gets cold. Our waiter was very attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointedKathleenDined on 10/16/2014I've been to Cascal once before and enjoyed my dinner. This evening the waiter rushed us from the time I sat down until we walked out. We ordered mushroom empanadas, hearts of palm salad(recommended by the waiter) and crab and shrimp tostadas. The salad and empanadas were way too rich. The empanadas were blast and unexciting flavor. Tostadas were great. it was a Thursday night and they were anxious to clear our table which was very annoying since there was plenty of tables, it was early in the evening and no one was waiting. I never even got a water refill.Special Features:
- A fantastic eveningdindinDined on 10/11/2014I took my husband to dinner on a Saturday night, and we sat outdoors. We each tried a signature cocktail, and were delighted with them. Our meals were fabulous - subtle flavors, quality ingredients, delicious. Service was prompt and friendly, and it was overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is always good hereMabrewstaDined on 10/8/2014I made reservations here to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday (this is where he wanted to go). We decided to seat outside as the weather was really nice. We ordered five different dishes to share and all were delicious. Our server was just okay, he was not very friendly so that made our experience not the greatest. But at least he was nice enough to bring my husband a birthday treat. We live in the neighborhood so we come here often. Maybe next time for a special occasion we'll go somewhere else. Other than that the food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sandyDined on 10/6/2014love this place! Feels like you're in Morroco or Turkey, and not Mountain View!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food at a Great Price!LeesburgDaveDined on 10/4/2014We decided to visit Cascal to celebrate our anniversary and had a wonderful time. Their paella was excellent and very authentic. A taste I hadn't had since leaving Madrid in 1980! The menu features a wonderful sample of tastes from around the Mediterranean Sea that are well prepared. While they have a selection of full entrees (of which several paella dishes were a feature), much of their selections are served as tapas ("fancy hors devours") suitable for sharing. We really enjoyed our outing and look forward to visiting Cascal again.Special Features:
- Excelletn Pan-LatinFlowerDined on 10/4/2014Amazing food on Castro street. Loved the trio Tapas, the chops, flank dish and the amazing desserts - flan and tres leche. Heading there again soon -reminded me of BarcelonaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!industryinsiderDined on 10/3/2014Everything was perfect. Walked in and were immdeiately sat at a nice table by the window. A busser helped my fiance with her chair and filled out water glasses right away. Our server was fantastic. Recommended the right ammount of food. Brought our cocktails with exceptional speed. I was actually shocked how quick they came out. The food could not have been better. The lamb meatballs, mushroom empanadas, and paella were delicious. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great service and foodJasiDined on 9/30/2014I have been to Cascal several times for lunch and dinner. Its always consistently great in terms of food and service. The Paella, emphanadas, lamb meatballs, Spanish fries , calamari are delicious.. Service is always polite and friendly, atmosphere is great..Special Features:
- Great ambiance.cascalregularDined on 9/27/2014Many dishes are great. Some could be better (had better bacon wrapped dates and better eggplant dishes at another tapas place). We love this place so much we come back regularlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always busyFoodie4VIPDined on 9/24/2014Hadn't been here in a long time and it's busier than ever. Menu is very large. Had the tapas sampler which was plenty of food, if a little heavy. Very noisy! Good for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot how good it isGFCFSFVIPDined on 9/20/2014I haven't been to Cascal for a year or two and now I'm wondering why. I had the Pork Cubano which is very tasty. My sister had the lamb chops with chimichurri which she really enjoyed, too. We ate outside on their large patio on a lovely September evening. Indoors would have been much noisier. Service was professional and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014Really enjoyed the diverse menu and the various choices on the menuSpecial Features:
- Great food and good serviceGdubDined on 9/16/2014Lunch was great with very good food..the two of us shared 4 of the many Tapas plates. When we asked for recommendations by the waiter he gave us 4 suggestions and we picked two of them. All the plates were very good. I expected small single servings but there was plenty on each plate for two or three. I would love to go back and try more of their offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snooty hostesshmmmDined on 9/15/2014The hostess did not even make eye contact when we came to the restaurant. After we were seated no one came to serve water or take our order for 20 minutes. After I reminded the host she sent some one AFTER 5 whole minutes without making eye contact. The server was good, the food was okay. They need to improve the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday eve at CascalID66Dined on 9/12/2014I've been many times to Cascal and I always enjoyed the ovarall atmosphere there. This visit was a bit disappointing. We had a reservation, but when we arrived, it took more than 20 min to be seated. Service was good, the food a bit of a disappointment: the liver in particular, which we've had before was either not very fresh or somehow not cooked right, very tasteless. A big part why we like the place is the live band. That night they were quite a bit off (new band?). I'd recommend Sat. night instead when James Robinson plays. I'd still recommend the place to friends, but I'll set the expectations right - it can be a hit or a miss. Still, Cascal offers a nice bar, live music and dancing and IHHO is one of the places to go in MV.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/10/2014Octapus salad was excellent. Unfortunately, the noise level was unbearable. Probably better outside on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatdlcalviDined on 9/6/2014This was our 2nd visit, loved it! looking forward to our 3rd visit!Special Features:
- Pre theatreFoodie2Dined on 9/4/2014Outstanding service and food! Very noisy, so difficult to have private conversation inside. Great for drinks and tapas!Special Features:
- Small plates anyone?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014This is a great place for dinner or happy hour. Don't recommend for an hour lunch during the weekday unless you can take a longer lunches. Only because the food takes longer and they pace it out instead of serve all at once. The watermelon salad, beef taquitos, and potatoes gratin were very good, among other things, that's just what I had on a particular day. Overall great place if you like food service that's a la carte.Special Features:
- Night with the NevinsGoldie4lifeDined on 9/3/2014We had another wonderful evening at Cascal. Everything was perfect as usual. We needed to increase our reservation from 4 people to 5 and they handled it with a smile. Their special house paella was delicious, like it is every time we come to Cascal. They also take Passport Dining Club which is a bonus. If you're looking for extended time to chat with your guests then get there early (5 PM) when it's relatively quiet. The energy level at Cascal ramps up between 6PM and 7PM. No matter what day we go they always have a full house by the time we leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeritaVIPDined on 9/1/2014The bartender Alberto was the best part of the evening. food was Great but our server took 20 minutes to approach us and stayed consistently inefficient rest of the evening.Special Features:
- Great FoodDinningwdogsDined on 9/1/2014Tapa plates are perfect to share among 3 people maximum.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, & ambiancesrcastro8Dined on 9/1/2014Great experience from start to finish. Made a reservation, & was seated promptly. Server made recommendations & the drinks we started off with were delicious. We started off with the Peruvian ceviche, which was outstanding. The shrimp tostadas, beef adobo, & mushroom empanadas were also great. The ambiance is wonderful. It's comfortable & inviting, with great music & a fun vibe, yet still has the ability to have a cozy conversation. I have been here for HH with coworkers, for my hubby's surprise bday dinner with friends, & with the ladies for girl time. It's perfect for all occasions. Will absolutely be returning. My two complaints, would be the parking, which can be a block or two walk on busy nights, & the steep prices for small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very eclectic Pan Latin foodpartyof2Dined on 8/31/2014The menu has great variety. We went with another couple who have been there several times before, especially for the tapas sampler and paella. Very tasty and nice variety. We ordered the large seafood paella, and it was more than enough for 4 people. The tapas sampler was also quite large. One of our party ordered the sangria and said it was very, very good. It measures up very well to food we have had in Spain. The restaurant is attractive and comfortable, but I understand that it can get very noisy later in the evening. We went late on a Sunday afternoon. We shall return to try some of the other interesting offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceMercouriFanVIPDined on 8/27/2014Been to Cascal several times now. The food is always great, and the service is always good (not great). This time the lunch service was mediocre at best. Our server seemed like he just wanted to push us out to make room for more customers. Strange, because the place was only about 70% full. He asked what we wanted to eat literally 2 seconds after we sat down. Then he came by again 1 minute later. When he realized we didn't have the menus with the lunch specials, he brought us only one to share among us. Gimme a break...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesnewtonashuaDined on 8/26/2014Cascal is consistently excellent - the service and a wide variety of Latin tapas and entrees. I am a fan of Spanish wines and have had some good ones at Cascal. I have brought many friends there and will continue to do so. Like other popular bay area restaurants, it is always packed so the noise level is higher than I'd like for conversation, but it has not stopped me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/26/2014Always great food and fun. The tapas are generous and always served hot or chilled as meant to be.Special Features:
- paella perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I have been waiting years (literally) before venturing back to this restaurant for the paella. My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary, and we intentionally made a trip to Mountain View just so we could celebrate at this restaurant. He ordered the ASADO (being a meat lover) and I the PAELLA CASCAL. It was perfect in every way, savory and delicious with every bite, first to last. The BANANA LEAF CHICKEN was a great way to start the evening as well! And the server was excellent and gracious throughout the evening. Im so glad I finally made it back to this restaurant and I cant wait to find another reason to dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014The empanadas. were amazing . You can't go without trying them.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapa's in Silicon ValleyNumber1fooddudeVIPDined on 8/22/2014Food is excellent with many choices-you can come back 3 times and have completely different choices that will be excellent. Service is exceptionally fast, and complete. We never had an empty water or ice tea glass. Ambiance was great and we could hear ourselves talk. Ownership/Managers stopped by each table to check on everyones meals and service. I used to think that I had to go to Palo Alto or San Francisco for excellent Tapa's, but not since I visited Cascal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningEnglishRoseDined on 8/20/2014Six of us came here for a special occasion and were not only blown away by the food, but also the service. We were seated promptly, waited on hand and foot and the food was just incredible. We had a really great experience here on this visit and I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to spend a little more on a very special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cascal - Worth Going!ImpressedVIPDined on 8/20/2014We went to Cascal for an early dinner before a back to school night event. The overall dining experience was lovely - good food, good company and outdoors on a mild summer night. Our server Ryan was excellent - attentive with frequent opportunities to make requests... but not intrusive. The noise inside was too loud to allow normal dinner conversation, but we arrived just before six on a weekday - early enough to request an outdoor table and get one. My husband had the calamari and sizzling shrimp. Shrimp were excellent; calamari were a bit too floury. I had the crab and shrimp tostadillas and they were fresh and surprisingly filling. We only had an hour, so will have to come back to try the paella at a more liesurely pace!Special Features:
- nice for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2014The tapas are the clear star of the menu. The mushroom empanadas are quite nice, as is the watermelon salad. I've always found the paella to be a pale imitation of the real thing. Cascal's is very bland. Sangria is popular here, although I've always found their caipirinhas to be much nicer. My biggest complaint about Cascal is that it's so very loud in there, which makes conversation difficult. If you are really interested in having a conversation over drinks, Cascal is definitely not the right place to go.Special Features:
- food rocksLiluSatoriDined on 8/18/2014yummy every time yummy every time yummy every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/14/2014Fun place with great tapas. The food is very well prepared and presented and there is a great variety to choose from. Service is friendly and efficient. Wonderful specialty cocktails.Special Features: