400 Castro St.
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cascalrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6509409500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Antonio Flores Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: They offer a non-private room that can accommodate up to 26 people.
A word from Cascal
Old World taste meets New World appeal in this vibrant new restaurant concept by veteran Restaurateur, Don Durante. Serving spirited Pan-Latin cuisine, Cascal is a place to meet and linger with friends over exotic cocktails and enticing foods with bold flavors and personality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cascal - Best Restaurants in Mountain View ›
Cascal reviews from OpenTable diners
277 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (151)good for groups (132)fit for foodies (126)neighborhood gem (96)vibrant bar scene (90)hot spot (88)special occasion (73)great for lunch (63)romantic (34)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (22)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (15)scenic view (6)Show More
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/10/2014Octapus salad was excellent. Unfortunately, the noise level was unbearable. Probably better outside on the sidewalk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatdlcalviDined on 9/6/2014This was our 2nd visit, loved it! looking forward to our 3rd visit!Special Features:
- Pre theatreFoodie2Dined on 9/4/2014Outstanding service and food! Very noisy, so difficult to have private conversation inside. Great for drinks and tapas!Special Features:
- Small plates anyone?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014This is a great place for dinner or happy hour. Don't recommend for an hour lunch during the weekday unless you can take a longer lunches. Only because the food takes longer and they pace it out instead of serve all at once. The watermelon salad, beef taquitos, and potatoes gratin were very good, among other things, that's just what I had on a particular day. Overall great place if you like food service that's a la carte.Special Features:
- Night with the NevinsGoldie4lifeDined on 9/3/2014We had another wonderful evening at Cascal. Everything was perfect as usual. We needed to increase our reservation from 4 people to 5 and they handled it with a smile. Their special house paella was delicious, like it is every time we come to Cascal. They also take Passport Dining Club which is a bonus. If you're looking for extended time to chat with your guests then get there early (5 PM) when it's relatively quiet. The energy level at Cascal ramps up between 6PM and 7PM. No matter what day we go they always have a full house by the time we leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeritaVIPDined on 9/1/2014The bartender Alberto was the best part of the evening. food was Great but our server took 20 minutes to approach us and stayed consistently inefficient rest of the evening.Special Features:
- Great FoodDinningwdogsDined on 9/1/2014Tapa plates are perfect to share among 3 people maximum.Special Features:
- Excellent food, service, & ambiancesrcastro8Dined on 9/1/2014Great experience from start to finish. Made a reservation, & was seated promptly. Server made recommendations & the drinks we started off with were delicious. We started off with the Peruvian ceviche, which was outstanding. The shrimp tostadas, beef adobo, & mushroom empanadas were also great. The ambiance is wonderful. It's comfortable & inviting, with great music & a fun vibe, yet still has the ability to have a cozy conversation. I have been here for HH with coworkers, for my hubby's surprise bday dinner with friends, & with the ladies for girl time. It's perfect for all occasions. Will absolutely be returning. My two complaints, would be the parking, which can be a block or two walk on busy nights, & the steep prices for small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very eclectic Pan Latin foodpartyof2Dined on 8/31/2014The menu has great variety. We went with another couple who have been there several times before, especially for the tapas sampler and paella. Very tasty and nice variety. We ordered the large seafood paella, and it was more than enough for 4 people. The tapas sampler was also quite large. One of our party ordered the sangria and said it was very, very good. It measures up very well to food we have had in Spain. The restaurant is attractive and comfortable, but I understand that it can get very noisy later in the evening. We went late on a Sunday afternoon. We shall return to try some of the other interesting offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceMercouriFanVIPDined on 8/27/2014Been to Cascal several times now. The food is always great, and the service is always good (not great). This time the lunch service was mediocre at best. Our server seemed like he just wanted to push us out to make room for more customers. Strange, because the place was only about 70% full. He asked what we wanted to eat literally 2 seconds after we sat down. Then he came by again 1 minute later. When he realized we didn't have the menus with the lunch specials, he brought us only one to share among us. Gimme a break...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesnewtonashuaDined on 8/26/2014Cascal is consistently excellent - the service and a wide variety of Latin tapas and entrees. I am a fan of Spanish wines and have had some good ones at Cascal. I have brought many friends there and will continue to do so. Like other popular bay area restaurants, it is always packed so the noise level is higher than I'd like for conversation, but it has not stopped me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/26/2014Always great food and fun. The tapas are generous and always served hot or chilled as meant to be.Special Features:
- paella perfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014I have been waiting years (literally) before venturing back to this restaurant for the paella. My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary, and we intentionally made a trip to Mountain View just so we could celebrate at this restaurant. He ordered the ASADO (being a meat lover) and I the PAELLA CASCAL. It was perfect in every way, savory and delicious with every bite, first to last. The BANANA LEAF CHICKEN was a great way to start the evening as well! And the server was excellent and gracious throughout the evening. Im so glad I finally made it back to this restaurant and I cant wait to find another reason to dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014The empanadas. were amazing . You can't go without trying them.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Tapa's in Silicon ValleyNumber1fooddudeDined on 8/22/2014Food is excellent with many choices-you can come back 3 times and have completely different choices that will be excellent. Service is exceptionally fast, and complete. We never had an empty water or ice tea glass. Ambiance was great and we could hear ourselves talk. Ownership/Managers stopped by each table to check on everyones meals and service. I used to think that I had to go to Palo Alto or San Francisco for excellent Tapa's, but not since I visited Cascal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningEnglishRoseDined on 8/20/2014Six of us came here for a special occasion and were not only blown away by the food, but also the service. We were seated promptly, waited on hand and foot and the food was just incredible. We had a really great experience here on this visit and I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to spend a little more on a very special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cascal - Worth Going!ImpressedVIPDined on 8/20/2014We went to Cascal for an early dinner before a back to school night event. The overall dining experience was lovely - good food, good company and outdoors on a mild summer night. Our server Ryan was excellent - attentive with frequent opportunities to make requests... but not intrusive. The noise inside was too loud to allow normal dinner conversation, but we arrived just before six on a weekday - early enough to request an outdoor table and get one. My husband had the calamari and sizzling shrimp. Shrimp were excellent; calamari were a bit too floury. I had the crab and shrimp tostadillas and they were fresh and surprisingly filling. We only had an hour, so will have to come back to try the paella at a more liesurely pace!Special Features:
- nice for sharingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2014The tapas are the clear star of the menu. The mushroom empanadas are quite nice, as is the watermelon salad. I've always found the paella to be a pale imitation of the real thing. Cascal's is very bland. Sangria is popular here, although I've always found their caipirinhas to be much nicer. My biggest complaint about Cascal is that it's so very loud in there, which makes conversation difficult. If you are really interested in having a conversation over drinks, Cascal is definitely not the right place to go.Special Features:
- food rocksLiluSatoriDined on 8/18/2014yummy every time yummy every time yummy every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutandaboutVIPDined on 8/14/2014Fun place with great tapas. The food is very well prepared and presented and there is a great variety to choose from. Service is friendly and efficient. Wonderful specialty cocktails.Special Features:
- Excellent paella...GingerKittyVIPDined on 8/14/2014Came here with a couple of friends on a Thursday night. The place was packed and everyone seemed to be having a good time. We started the evening with the complementary bread and dipping sauce (which was absolutely delicious). Then came the scallop ceviche (mild and sweet), hummus (nothing too special), sweet corn and poblano salad (refreshing and delicious), crab and shrimp tostaditos (one word - yummy!) and mussels in a pimenton broth. Our last course was the paella cascal which was also absolutely delicious - would highly recommend this dish! The service was great and we had a very nice time.Special Features:
- Delightful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Lunch for six was great. Staff was appropriately attentive, food was creative and delicious, with a diverse-enough menu for suit everyone. Overall, a great spot. Acoustics suck if you are over 50 and trying to participate in a group conversation. Like a lot of restaurants, there is an intentional noise level to make it hip, but it makes conversations harder if you ever listened to loud rock & roll as a kid...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 10 left waiting...lbg2244Dined on 8/9/2014We had a party of 10 with reservations made a month in advance and we were still made to wait 1/2 an hour for our table. A little more experience at seating tables may have helped get our dining experience off to a better start. I've been here many times and the food is the only thing that brings me back. After waiting for 1/2 an hour for our "reserved" table -we were hungry and asked for bread multiple times and got nothing. If you don't' mind yelling to be heard you'll enjoy the noise level. Not a great experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great if you don't mind the noiseSlaxDined on 8/8/2014Everything is awesome, but if you're inside it gets really noisy, and then when the live music starts (which is nice btw), you can barely hear yourself. Maybe outside is better, dunno, but if you have important discussions to carry over dinner (lunch is usually quieter), probably not the right place. Otherwise, awesome, delicious paella and tapas, 10/10 would recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDateVIPDined on 8/7/2014This place has outdoor dining with heat lamps, which is perfect for nice, but cool evenings. All the tapas we had were really good, I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the menu. The jalepeno cucumber margarita was nicely balanced with spice and sweetness. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- CascalFoodie2Dined on 8/2/2014This was not my first time dining at Cascal. It was my first time booking with Open Table however. I eat at Cascal, because the quality of the food is excellent and the service is excellent. We were served by Gil ( Gilbert) the place was busy and he was very attentive. My only complaint is. I asked to reserve seating outside, but that was not honored. I was very disappointed. The noise level inside is not conducive to good conversation, the friends that I was with were new to the restaurant, but we had not seen each other for a long time and we wanted to chat. We did get a corner table which was slightly better, but dining outside is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed customerluv2liveDined on 8/2/2014I went for lunch with my friends and I have to say I was quite disappointed. As I walked in the restaurant it smelled a mix of bleach and soap. I'm glad we sat outside so I didn't have deal with the bad odor... About a year ago the restaurant was better. As for the service it was just okay.
- Nice Ambiance, tasty foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014I've yet to have a dish at Cascal that I did not like.Special Features:
- Dinner time!CHamabeeDined on 7/30/2014Went here before seeing Arcade Fire last week, made reservations for 5:15pm and it was PACKED. On the reservation I asked to be seated on the patio but it was way too busy for that accommodation. Served water immediately and asked if we wanted bread (hell yeah we did, we were starving). Then ordered drinks and empanadas to start. Both were delicious! Got a couple more tapas plates and drinks before heading out, one of the drinks (don't remember which one it was) but it wasn't very tasty. Overall it was a fun place to go to dine, good food and good happy hour prices. I would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is so-so, but good sceneShermDined on 7/29/2014The ambiance is nice and the scene is trendy. Great outdoor dining. However, the food is underwhelming and the staff were sort of rude and impersonal. I'd recommend this place for drinks with friends and a couple of tapas--not for a special occasion or memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd Time Aroundlike2tryagainDined on 7/28/20141st visit, liked the food, drink choices, relaxed environment. Waiting stuff's a bit annoying. Couldn't order a 2nd glass till after dinner. 2nd visit was a downer. Reserved the table over OpenTable and liked how easy it was to get one at the right time. Upon arriving on time, still had to wait for another 15 minutes for the table. We got seated at the highest traffic area they had, which felt really offside. Chairs are higher than what I'm accustomed to, or maybe the tables are lower. Waiter seemed friendly and attentive, but that was only at the beginning. He then tried really way too hard, and in the end reached over across the table while we were in a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyLiluSatoriDined on 7/28/2014Was a great find. Made us smile. Would go back any timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!SpenceDined on 7/26/2014The food was so good and very original the way it is prepared. I always enjoy dining here.Special Features:
- Cascal lunchfoodismylifeDined on 7/25/2014the food choices are amazing and resonably price...outside umbrellas are a life saferSpecial Features:
- aaaaVIPDined on 7/24/2014never rush diners when it's closing time. unacceptable. serves need to be btter trained.
- Great food, Terrible serviceterribleserviceDined on 7/22/2014Waiter took our order and disappeared. Asked for extra plates to share Tapas dishes. Never came. Had to eat salad off bread plate. Asked person who delivered Tapas dishes for extra plates and serving spoon. Never came. Finally cornered another staff person who brought us bread plates. Dinners at other tables had dinner plates to share Paella, so they had the plates. Just did seem to care or were so busy they could not take the time. Go for the food. Bring you own plates!
- Great ExperienceOrdinaryGuyDined on 7/21/2014The dining experience at Cascal was wonderful, in the quality of food, the atmosphere, as well as the service. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Have To Come Back!LovegoodfoodDined on 7/20/2014Was there on Sunday early evening. We sat outside so did not have noise problem. It was nice to note dogs are welcome outdoors. The Service was very friendly and helpful. The mango margaritas was amazing. Quesco Fundido and Mexican Gorditas were delicious. Have to come back to try rest of the menu.Special Features:
- Cascal BrunchCheweyDined on 7/20/2014Over the past year we've tried many of the tapas plates at Cascal and every one has been really delicious. The wines by the glass, including some good Spanish wines and sangria, compliment the dishes. We really liked the musician playing Spanish guitar music: created a nice ambience without being too loud.Special Features:
- Always a great experienceAlanDined on 7/19/2014Have been here several times now and each time the service and food is outstanding.Special Features: