1188 Makawao Ave
Makawao, HI 96768Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.casanovamaui.com/
- Phone: 8085720220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:30am - 11:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From trays of lasagna to go, to elaborate parties in private residences, Casanova offers catering individually tailored for every occasion and budget.
- Entertainment: Since its opening Casanova has offered Maui the opportunity to enjoy some of the best artists visiting the island. Icons like Taj Mahall, Sam Kinison, Kool and the Gang, Los Lobos, Dave Mason and countless others have performed on Casanova’s history loaded stage. Nowadays Willie K owns Tuesday night. Wednesday is Casanova's world famous Ladies' Night, when the young and beautiful drive from all over Maui to dance and party. On Friday and Saturday local bands or visiting DJs from the Mainland fill the dance floor with ever changing beats. Check Casanova's web page for the weekly lineup.
A word from Casanova Makawao
Since 1986, Casanova Italian Restaurant and Deli is at the heart of the Upcountry Maui lifestyle. From early breakfast thru lunch and dinner you may expect the best Italian food on the island (as voted by countless local magazines’ surveys). Pastas, seafood and pizzas from Maui's first wood burning oven are Casanova's signature dishes. Dancing after 10pm three nights a week with live music or DJs is an unique feature of this Maui landmark. Loyal patrons appreciate Casanova's very reasonable prices.Continued
At the main crossroad of Historic Makawao town, Casanova is a must do experience after a visit to Haleakala National Park.
At the main crossroad of Historic Makawao town, Casanova is a must do experience after a visit to Haleakala National Park.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casanova Makawao reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (4)good for groups (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- MargieMargieDined on 10/9/2014Wonderful food and service as usual but extremely disappointed as we drove from Wailea to Casanovas and we do several times a year to have their best ever Osso Boca and they don't serve it anymore. So disappointing as it was the best you could ever have.Special Features:
- Great PlaceDinnerisservedDined on 9/12/2014I went for dinner and met two friends for drinks prior. The steak and spinach salad was perfect. I would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond disappointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We have been to Maui 5 times and visit Casanova at least 2-3 times per trip, even though it is quite far from where we stay. I can't express how poor the food was 4 days ago. it started well with a fresh appetizer but went downhill fast.The Caprese salad had the tiniest slices of cheese. The Ravioli Di Magro was very good. The Tagliatelle Al Ragu was not! There was maybe 1 tiny piece of prosciutto and 1/2 of a mushroom cut into tiny pieces. The pasta was terribly over cooked and it was served almost like a bowl of stew. The Fettuccine Calabrese was just as bad, almost no sausage, soggy pasta and stew like. the Crème Brule'e was maybe 1/4" thick. How sad to see a restaurant cut back to the point of ridiculous. They have lost our loyalty!
- PeterVIPDined on 7/17/2014An excellent restaurant with both top notch food and reasonable pricing. The wine list is well balanced and the corkage fee of $20 is reasonable as well. Since it is also a nightclub in the evenings after nine, it is recommended to make reservations and be there for dinner prior to 8:00 PM. This is one of the best places on Maui to eat and definitely not a tourist type of place where you're paying for a view and fancy looking plate with mediocre food. Well worth the drive to Makawao for a top notch dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodanniehallDined on 7/5/2014Every time I'm on Maui, I love to have dinner at Casanova, no matter where I'm staying. It's worth the drive. The food is always good and the bread is divine. Wish you were on the Big Island. I would eat there all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 70 reviews are from the Casanova Makawao reviews archive.
- good food.. server not so..udb13Dined on 6/11/2014Food was good as usual but the server was not on it at all.. why should she be with a guaranteed tip all she had to do was show up.. Honesty I think she was drunk..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceDisappointedVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food was good but our service that night was poor!Special Features:
- NicePoiDogDined on 5/11/2014Old timers such as myself cannot help but recall when the building was a rock-em sock-em cowboy saloon with cowboys on horseback cavorting on the dance floor. The food is very good, as is the service. The memories? Great stuff...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lo9-7=greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/30/2014Found this restaurant in Fodors guide to Maui Upcountry dining . Thought lets do it we were pleased. They talked about a awesome pizza oven so I decided to try our waitress helped with the selection. Boy she hit a home run it was EXCELLENT . My wife had a awesome pasta dish also recommended by our waitress. Had an excellent wine that was a great compliment to our meal. We finished our meal with dessert cremebrule and a mango sorbet. All in all excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Mediocre at best......lizzieDined on 4/18/2014The staff were friendly, service was fine and pricing was middle of the road. Unfortunately, the food was a huge disappointment. The focaccia bread was no more than 1/2 an inch thick and was scorched on top. My husband's spinach salad was OK but my portabello/polenta appetizer had an underlying burned taste to it. The plate of fettucine with scallops was a watery mess. Pasta was over cooked, scallops seemed to have been frozen and had a soggy crumb coating on them that fell off as soon as we cut into the scallops. The tomato sauce tasted like jarred sauce and the whole thing was served on a plate that had a puddle of liquid under the food (pasta water maybe ????) Nothing good about the dish at all. Cannot recommend this place at all.
- DeliciousjmgruberDined on 4/15/2014Great restaurant. Delicious food. We arrived right at supper rush and our server was very helpful and attentive during this time. They forgot an ingredient in my meal and comped a dessert. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!KulaRedDined on 3/29/2014Haven't tried this restaurant since I work at an Italian place. But the variety and options were great! Loved everything we ate! Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceHoonu007VIPDined on 3/14/2014The server was never around and it took forever to take our order and when we did the food was cold!
- What happened to Casanova?adsrgr8VIPDined on 3/10/2014On prior visits the food has been excellent and the prices reasonable for Maui. This past week we brought 4 friends on a Monday night. Pasta dishes were overcooked / sauces were very salty. Brick chicken was a tasty dish (as usual) but all three other people in our party were very disappointed. Dining room is in major need of an update / cleaning. Bathrooms are run down and not well maintained. Graffiti on bathroom walls and towel dispensers is unacceptable for any good restaurant. Casanova has live music several days a week so I suspect a low quality audience is attracted - yet the primary reason this establishment is in business is as a restaurant. Extremely disappointing. This used to be one of our favorites in Upcountry on Maui.
- Very good italian food atMangiamoVIPDined on 3/1/2014Very good italian food at decent prices. The atmosphere needs some freshening up, but it's easily overlooked because of the great food and service. We did not experience the dismal service reported by other reviewers, but we were there early (6:30) and the restaurant was only half full (but filling up quickly by the time we left).I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great meal!MauimomDined on 2/22/2014Have been enjoying Casanova's for 20+ years. It has wonderful bread/pizza. Great salads, most of them big enough to be a meal themselves, and all delicious, the endive with sundried tomato and bacon on the specials menu this time was to die for. A great assortment of pasta, and meats (chicken, lamb, beef). They have good appetizers, if you're not super hungry and appetizer or pizza to share with a salad is a great options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for good foodKiheiboiVIPDined on 2/15/2014We love eating here .. It's always a promise if good food Without doubt It's a hidden gem I would reccomend it for anyone just wanting great Italian foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!Debbi12Dined on 2/15/2014Its Maui, restaurants come and go, Casanovas in Makawao is always good. They have the best Pasta on the island. The price seems to not change and the menu offers a variety. The servers are friendly and always make you feel welcome.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodtmdinerDined on 2/14/2014The food here was excellent! My wife and I shared a 4 course special for $60! Eggplant parm was excellent, as was the Vodka Rigatoni and Ribeye! The Tiramisu was a little heavy on the liquor, which was fine for us. If you don't appreciate the taste of some liquor in your dessert, then you will want to try something different. Overall rating gets 4 stars only because the food came out a bit slow and the waitress took awhile tom notice that our water glasses were empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very but serviceTurreDined on 2/14/2014Food was very but service was excellent. Waitress was pleasant and very knowledgable about menu and wine selections.Special Features:
- Outstanding PizzaMargaritaMikeDined on 2/11/2014Went there after watching sunset on Haleakala. Takes an hour to get down the mountain so allow enough time. I didn't, but called and they adjusted my reservation. My wife and I shared a very good pizza and bottle of wine and a chocolate cake dessert. Makawao is a neat little town. Wished we had planned to be there when some of the shops were open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat DinersFrugeDined on 2/9/2014Have eaten at Casanova's a number of time. The food is consistently good. Entree preference was not available which was a little disappointing. Service is fine, not overly friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the driveMimiDined on 2/3/2014Extremely slow service. Took 20 minutes to get bread, and 1 hour to get entree.
- Good, upcountry foodliquidvoyageVIPDined on 1/5/2014My family has been dining at Casanova for years with the most variable aspect of the experience being the service. It is a great option for groups as the space is large menu is conducive to all sorts of tastes. Get a few appetizers to share. The Calamari Fritti are light and crispy and complimented by the caper-garlic mayo. We also enjoyed the Carciofi. As someone who has lived in Italy, I appreciate the quality of their pasta - perfectly cooked and not drowning in sauce. Favorites were Spaghettini Alla Checca and Fettucine Ai Fungi con Prosciutto. The complimentary focaccia is completely addicting. Unfortunately, the service on our last visit was brusque and inattentive and the ambient noise led to strained conversations.Special Features:
- Why we don't eat there oftenSkyladyDined on 12/13/2013Your food is extremely unhealthy and no doubt contributes to the obesity problem as well as diabetes--bread with oil, pastas, and sugary desserts. You need to add some healthy and organic food to your menu. When you do, we would eat there several times a week. As it is, we only eat there twice a year and always leave feeling "Why did we do that?"
- commentslindaDined on 11/15/2013Had lunch and dinner there a week apart. Food excellent!!!! Service friendly. Casual yet with an aire of island elegance. Well located amid the many shops and art galleries at Makawao, Maui.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodPatjDined on 11/11/2013This was our first time and we thought it was very good. We tried it because the steak house was closed. But all 6 of us really enjoyed it and all decided we would definitely return.Special Features:
- Upcountry Maui GemJim333Dined on 11/9/2013Recommended by family and lived up to their promise of great food in a comfortable setting had a great time with excellent mealsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyummDined on 11/3/2013We had an enjoyable dinner with friends. The noise from the adjoining bar I believe at the start of our meal, 7pm or so, was so loud that it was difficult to have a comfortable conversation. Otherwise, the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not returnvkh49Dined on 11/1/2013Went here on vacation after reading some very positive reviews. The food was not outstanding. The waiter we had seemed to have an attitude which did not add anything to the experience. The restaurant was crowded and noisy. We were seated in the back which would have been lovedly as we were seated by two large windows that overlooked some lovely plantings. In addition to those planting, however, were pipes sticking up out the the ground to the one side and a wonderful view of "stuff" it looked like they didn't know what to do with and lots of spider webs from the rafters (no, it wasn't Halloween decor). Makawao is known as a "cowboy" town and this is known as a very popular local place. Perhaps we were just expecting too much.Special Features:
- Good food againanniehallDined on 11/1/2013I absolutely look forward to eating here whenever I'm on Maui. The food is consistently good and the service is reliable. It's easy to make online reservations. Parking can be challenging, but it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedcarywhVIPDined on 10/18/2013As visitors to Maui many times we eat out often. We decided to try this restaurant for the first time. We've passed it often in Makawao. While nondescript on the outside, it's really nice inside. The food was surprisingly good, as we've read some so-so reviews online. Try the spinach saltiti appetizer. Excellent. I had the Fettucine with scallops which was really good. The scallops were delicious.. The fettucine was fine, although maybe a bit heavy on the pesto. My wife had pasta with shrimp, very tasty. We'll go back.Special Features:
- A sure thing808JimDined on 10/13/2013I'm embarrassed to say I have not been to Casanova's in ages. We organized a group of upcountry friends to met us since it they were donating a portion of their sales to the Maui Aids Foundation. Great neighbors, they help fund raise for a number of organizations. Had great drinks and a well priced bottle of wine. Food was outstanding. A couple had a Russian potato beet salad they could not stop talking about. I had Gamberi e Fagioli. A skewer of six fat shrimp on a bed or cannelloni beans. Outstanding. The seafood risotto was excellent, the fish en papillote got a few swoonsAll in all, it was a wonderful evening in a terrific restaurant. I won't wait for an "event" to go back but will put it back on my "Eat Here Ofen" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casanova is a must if yourKauaiDinerDined on 9/22/2013Casanova is a must if your are in the area. Great Italian food. Delicious pasta and pizza. If we return to Maui, we will definitely return to Casanova.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable visitcambillDined on 9/14/2013Food was excellent, portions ample, and the wait staff fantastic. Went here on a recommendation of another vacationer, the whole experience exceeded our expectations. Would highly recommend this restaurant, even the surrounding area is fun, and a welcome break from the heat down on the shore. MahaloSpecial Features:
- Another great meal at CasanovadavidDined on 9/1/2013We were seated immediately. The server was great. Four nice meals. Strong drinks. The Kula Strawberry dessert surprised me being warm, but very good. Fourth time here, won't be the last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good mealanniehallDined on 8/31/2013It was very convenient to be able to reserve a table online. The whole experience was very pleasant. I live on the Big Island, but come home to Maui to visit when I can. I will certainly come again.Special Features:
- Delicious and fillingreservationsplusDined on 7/20/2013We had a wonderful dinner at Casanova's. We hadn't been there for a few years, but we were happy to see that the quality is still the same. The only complaint I have is that our reservation was at 7:30. We arrived at 7:25. The hostess greeted us and said we would have to wait about 15-20 minutes for a table. We waited for about 15 minutes. No one left while we were standing there, but when we were seated we saw at least 5 tables for 4 available. So, why make us wait? Other than that, we had a wonderful experience. Jess was our waitress and she was wonderful. The pizza was delicious as well as the lasagna. My father had a steak that he truly enjoyed while my mom dined on veal and said it was delicious. We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2013If you are looking for a great food experience avoid this place
- Awesome alwaysMauioceanangelDined on 6/16/2013Awesome always, it was busy...fathers day. Food is always great and kids get to make their own pizza! We always request sitting down near the dance floor so kids can dance. (Turns into a dance spot late night on weekends) I recommend Casanova to anyone that appreciates a good Italian meal, home cooked, great fresh fish....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.