30 Gloucester St
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.casaromero.com/
- Phone: 6175364341x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am-9pm Brunch/Lunch/Dinner
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Leo Romero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a very cozy private dining room that has a capacity to seat 23 people. We also offer a smaller private space that accommodates private parties from 6-8 people. Our restaurant is also open to private functions daily to celebrate birthday parties, bridal or baby showers or whatever it is you would like to celebrate.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Monis 6175364341x
- Cross Street: between Newbury st and Commonwealth Ave.
- Public Transit: Hynes Convention Center Station (Green)
Prudential Station (Green)
Copley Station (Green)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter parking is available on Newbury Street and there is also parking lots at the Prudential Center and on Newbury street
A word from Casa Romero
After 40 years, my customers still tell me what a delightful discovery it is to step out of a Boston alley and into the heart of Mexico. That is exactly what I had envisioned when I decorated the coffered door and walls of my restaurant with the bright Talavera tiles from Puebla, Mexico. Casa Romero is located in the midst of glamorous Back Bay at 30 Gloucester and offers the best traditional Mexican food in Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casa Romero reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)romantic (31)fit for foodies (29)good for groups (28)special occasion (26)great for outdoor dining (26)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Casa RomerofoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had a nice dinner but from what I had heard about this place I expected more. I got their signature dish which was pork sautéed with oranges. The meat was a little tough and the orange sauce overwhelmed it. Not bad but nothing great. My partner ordered the calamari which was overcooked. I wouldn't go out of my way to return there.Special Features:
- Charming outside; deliciousG222Dined on 8/14/2014Neighborhood gem in the alley - the outdoor patio is a cozy and pleasant spot, decor overshadowed by an ivy tower next door. Margaritas are strong, quality ingredients and well-made. Food goes above and beyond, without much flash on paper but very well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMissyzim1Dined on 8/9/2014We were looking for a Mexican restaurant in the Newbury area and read about this one in Open Table. It sounded great and it didn't disappoint us. The atmosphere fit the genre and the food was delicious. Loved the guacamole! We will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodRichDined on 8/3/2014Great meal and a awesome birthday song! Waiter was attentive and in addition to the food being great the drinks were even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!HbuniottoDined on 8/2/2014This is one of the best Mexican restaurants in Boston. The food is amazing and the service and awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrations aboundAll605Dined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely celebration for a special birthday with a group of 12 recently. Have not been to Casa Romero in many years since we left the area, but the ambience is just as charming as ever. They seemed to have a quite a few large groups celebrating birthdays and bachelorette parties amog other things, and yet our service never suffered. The quality of the food was not as high as I remembered, but again it has been a long time! A lovely evening had by all.Special Features:
- LizzieDined on 7/28/2014Fabulous food and ambience. Have eaten there 3 times. Not crowded last time, but service not great. Had to chase down waiter several times for drinks, check, etc.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch!MCsquaredVIPDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I went here for Sunday brunch and everything was absolutely phenomenal. 100% authentic Mexican food, on par with what you you would get in the homeland. Being a Mexican who cooks, I am extremely picky about Mexican food, but have always found Casa Romero to have the most authentic, perfectly balanced dishes with vibrant flavors. Also, the service was top notch from beginning to end! We sat outside (even though we expected rain) on the adorable little patio nestled in between the Boston brownstones. Once it started raining our server quickly lowered the awning to make sure we were covered. He gave just the right amount of attention without being too smothering. Highly recommended for any meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for inviting friendsOmideIranDined on 7/26/2014I invited a group of 10 friends and family to Casa Romero. Although the door of the restaurant was opening towards an small alley and I did not expect it, the atmosphere inside the restaurant and their food and services were excellent. We enjoyed the environment and the food and all of my guests were very happy with everything there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Casa Romero!LTC123Dined on 7/17/2014This is a Boston institution - and deserves to be. Such a great spot, delicious food and all around good service and ambience. Such a gem. I just wish they would take reservations for outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but not spicyLeQuifDined on 7/17/2014Service was extremely slow. It started with the hostess who ignored us when we entered to help a customer who came in just behind us to find something/someone in the restaurant. Upon her return she was far from welcoming and seemed disdainful of our presence. Later observed her twice fawning over young, beautiful couples to find them the perfect table. It took forever to place our orders and to get our drinks. They sat us outside beside a noisy air conditioner, the hot exhaust of which made the dining experience almost intolerable. The food was exceptionally delicious and flavorful but lacked heat that makes Mexican cuisine even more enjoyable. It's a solid "meh" for me. May come back but given the cost, will probably go for someplace else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Night - ServiceMaverick2676Dined on 7/16/2014I frequent this place quite often. I love the food and the ambience. But tonight I was truly let down. Our waiter was totally spaced out (I am not sure if there was a language barrier as well). He was not attentive, we had to ask to get refills on water, order more drinks, and just general followups on our experience. He definitely did not have a "Can Do" attitude. I don't request much from wait staff, I am not one of those foodies that calls for managers to fix things. So for me to write this really took me a while to think about. This must have been a total off night for everyone. Our food took over an hour to be brought out. The wait staff just kept saying its coming. They did not even offer to bring out apps or more chips.Special Features:
- que4uVIPDined on 7/11/2014Just kind of missed the mark on most items. Long greet time by server, their "signature" orange-chipotle pork tenderloin tasted literally like it was swimming in a plate of orange juice. Friends beef dish had potato chunks which were seared but still literally rock hard. Better places out there.
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014I will begin by saying the food and drinks were good. After that…all downhill. If you don't mind entering this basement establishment through the alley, dine here. If you don't mind being greeted by an aloof server posing as a host, whom rolls his eyes whilst asking if you have a reservation on a Thursday evening at 5:45 and can't be bothered to check you in, please dine here. If you would like to be seated at the server's station in an almost empty restaurant and be forced to listen to the servers congregate, speak spanish to one another and think no one understands what they are saying, please dine here. This establishment needs an overhaul, major cleaning of the staff and restaurant itself.
- GreatFundinweDined on 7/11/2014Great overall experience; we sat outside - I recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very old, very goodTommyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Not sure how long it's been here, or how long we've been going. But it is very good Mexican food. With very good margaritas. And their guacamole, you must try the Caramelos, and the cerviche. Excellent restaurant. Loud, but that's Boston. Can get crowded in there, but their food is just terrific. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarysFamilyDined on 7/8/2014Excellent authentic Mexican food. Orange pork is amazing. Cerviche is fresh and flavorful. Best salsa in town. Sevice is friendly. Recommend you make reservations.Special Features:
- A great evening at Casa RomeroBetsyDined on 7/5/2014We met family at Casa Romero on Saturday evening. Casa Romero was wonderful as always. Our visitors were surprised at the slightly hidden entrance on the alley, but enjoyed it greatly. It always seems like a private hideaway. The décor warm and inviting and the food was as always very authentic and delicious. The ceviche and the chicken mole were wonderful as were all our orders. After dinner, the proximity to Newbury Street made a walk very appealing . It was an evening to remember. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuncanBirthdaydinerDined on 7/4/2014Food was fine. Service was ok as we were on the early side in the evening. Menu appears to be limited, with few daily specials. May have been due to the holiday weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014Wonderful Mexican restaurant tucked charmingly in the darling basement space, entered from an alley off Gloucester Street. But the best is the inside--thoroughly welcoming, Mexican tiles and decor, great chips & salsa, and terrific food. We love their early diner prix fixe ($29 for 3 courses). But anything you choose will be delicious. Great sangria--flavorful, not too much ice. We keep coming back--happily!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic MexicanBostoncoupleDined on 6/28/2014Still a favorite after 25 years. Great margaritas and outstanding red sangrias. Love the Mole sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of 15ELS1Dined on 6/23/2014Casa Romero did a great job with our large party. Our waiter was fantastic I wish I could remember his name to personally thank him. DELICIOUS drinks and a really great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Good foodMaryBob76Dined on 6/21/2014The food was good but the service inconsistent. Our meals came out quickly but we never got the appetizers we ordered. We told them to cancel them and concentrated on the meal. Our waiter did come over and was very apologetic about the appetizers. The meal was very good but we had to ask for more tortilla shells as they only come with two. I did not care for the Margharita, but I was in the minority on that. We were seated outside which was very nice, but the tables are very close together. Overall I would say the service is good and the food we got was good. It is a little expensive, not somewhere I would go all the time, but would go back.Special Features:
- Great drinks, food needs workorangefeathersDined on 6/8/2014This restaurant has a lot going for it -- excellent drinks (Margaritas, sangria), lovely ambiance (garden patio, Spanish tile work), great hidden-gem-in-the-city feel to the location, not terribly expensive. The selections on the menu are varied enough, and sound good, but the food disappoints. It's bland and uninspired -- from appetizers through to dessert. A fresh start in the kitchen would really transform this place. Start by providing tableside guacamole, add some heat to the dishes, make sure ingredients are fresh, use more herbs & spices.Special Features:
- Once we got seated...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014My dinner companion and I wondered if it was because we were two middle-aged women dining out together. We had a reservation on the early side on a Saturday. The restaurant was mostly empty, yet we were seated in an undesirable place. When my dinner companion objected, they seated us again, in another undesirable place (employee exit where they had to walk around the chair to get in and out). My friend protested again, and we were told that although it was mostly empty, they had many reservations. Apparently they forget we had a reservation. That entire drill took about 15 minutes, because the waitperson had to check in with someone in the front each time. Once we were seated the service was very good, as was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceWMB1Dined on 6/7/2014Nothing too much to say, just a nice place for Mexican food. Not your standard burrito, quesadilla sort of place. The meals are a bit fancier, the service more refined. It's really just a nice place, not terribly pricey and to the extent that what they do, they do well, you don't feel taken. A lot of value for the money. I will say, there is limited outdoor seating so if you can plan for good weather, and you would need reservations for these seats, but it could be nice. We had great weather but no reservations for the outdoors so we sat inside. Anyway, if I were in the area and need somewhere to dine, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I really liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall goodBeanieDined on 6/6/2014Food and atmosphere was great. However once our food was delivered our server never returned to check on us until we had been finished for a while. Also the host was unorganized and seemed overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good forty-two years later!PilgrimDined on 6/3/2014We had out first date here in 1972, when we attended college in Boston. We returned this week for our fortieth reunion, and had a wonderful evening. Once again I ordered the enchiladas verdes, and they were delicious! It was a memorable evening in 1972 and again in 2014!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DynahVIPDined on 6/1/2014We are regulars here. The food is so good, real Mexican, and they know how to make a margarita! This evening was a Sunday and was quiet enough to talk, but if you come on Friday or Saturday nights this place can be quite boisterous! I did say they make a mean margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, bad servicebostondinerDined on 5/31/2014Our waiter kept rushing us to order. He then brought us the wrong drink and didn't offer to exchange it for what we had ordered. He mixed up the side dishes. He tried to clear the table before we were done. The food was good. I haven't decided if I will go back though because of the service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie but goodieTimeformexicanDined on 5/17/2014This restaurant has been around for a long time and even though we hadn't been here in a long time, it did not disappoint . Our original table was under the air conditioning and when I asked if we could be reseated, they were very accommodating . The food was excellent. I had enchiladas verses and my husband had stuffed calimari. We are every last bite! Service was very good too. We will plan a repeat visit the next time we are in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband's meal was great.kenmorexperience3Dined on 5/17/2014We went to Casa Romero for my daughter's graduation from Boston University. I ordered the recommended pork house specialty after reading reviews. It was $25 and awful. My daughter did the 3 course early bird. Everything bland or tasteless with the tortilla soup being the exception. My husband hit the jackpot for that evening. A chicken dish stuffed w cheese and catcus. Waiter was polite but removed unfinished drinks from our table without asking. Probably will not return.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014Th food was really good and so were the drinks. Great, fun atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Hype?Out4LunchVIPDined on 5/15/2014When the guacamole is $8, I expect a mound of deliciousness. Instead, it's filled with tomatoes, we couldn't find the cilantro or lime, and the scoop was paltry. The food was decent... nothing special. The shrimp & crab enchiladas were "fishy" smelling, the rice was dried out. The mole sauce was great, but the tortillas were mushy and chicken dried out. I would have rather spent $58 (and that's only the guac, 2 entrees and tip!) on lunch from the food truck and pocketed the rest - it would have been fresher and more authentic.
- Enjoyed our dinnerKrazeeDined on 5/11/2014Went there for Mother's Day. Food was excellent as was the service. We would go again.Special Features:
- Solid food, good serviceDkpool142Dined on 5/10/2014This is now one of my favorite Mexican places. Popular weekend spot and interesting converted basement layout. The menu is solid and a good value. Attentive staff with only very minor hiccups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Back Bay Mexican FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014The best Mexican food in Boston. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BackinBostonAgainDined on 5/6/2014Shrimp with cilantro & tomatillo sauce is superb. One of the best guacamoles anywhere.Special Features:
- The best Mexican cuisine aroundAniaDined on 5/5/2014Food was authentic not to mention delicious. We went there for Cinco de Mayo and loved celebrating there. It is one of those places that you will keep on coming back to time and time again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014I have been to this restaurant many times and loved it. The other night when we went for our 7th wedding anniversary was just ok. We sat at a little table in the back corner. The food was just ok and the service also just ok. We don't plan on going back.