30 Gloucester St
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.casaromero.com/
- Phone: (617) 536-4341
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am-9pm Brunch/Lunch/Dinner
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Leo Romero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a very cozy private dining room that has a capacity to seat 23 people. We also offer a smaller private space that accommodates private parties from 6-8 people. Our restaurant is also open to private functions daily to celebrate birthday parties, bridal or baby showers or whatever it is you would like to celebrate.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Monis 6175364341x
- Cross Street: between Newbury st and Commonwealth Ave.
- Public Transit: Hynes Convention Center Station (Green)
Prudential Station (Green)
Copley Station (Green)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter parking is available on Newbury Street and there is also parking lots at the Prudential Center and on Newbury street
A word from Casa Romero
After 40 years, my customers still tell me what a delightful discovery it is to step out of a Boston alley and into the heart of Mexico. That is exactly what I had envisioned when I decorated the coffered door and walls of my restaurant with the bright Talavera tiles from Puebla, Mexico. Casa Romero is located in the midst of glamorous Back Bay at 30 Gloucester and offers the best traditional Mexican food in Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casa Romero reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (21)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (10)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Wonderful Mexican food in Backbay!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/22/2014This was our first visit to Cafe Romero and we will definitely return. The food was wonderful and the service was extremely friendly and attentive. A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful family dinnerNonnaDined on 11/16/2014We came here for a family dinner/birthday party one Sunday. They accommodated 8 of us easily and the food and drinks were all delicious. Everyone enjoyed their meals, nice appetizers and the cucumber margaritas were a surprise treat. The place was packed by the time we left but the noise level was fine. It's a lively place. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One to discover...MMacBVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is one of those restaurants where I love taking visiting friends because I know they're in for a treat. The food is awesome. The atmosphere is charming. The service is attentive. Casa Romero is a Back Bay gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican Delight!EasterbruncherDined on 11/11/2014Casa Romera has been one of Boston's top Mexican restaurants for decades. We come here occasionally for old favorites: puerco adobado and enchiladas verde. Relative to the pricing of other good restaurants, Casa Romero has become a better value over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casa Romero!!!!TavoDined on 11/8/2014I was great to go back to Casa Romero with friends who have never been there, and everyone had nothing but praises about it after. While the place is a bit tight it didn't take anything away from the nice experience. Mr. Romero was there as always receiving the guests, we had a brief conversation with him on our way out and he was as gracious as always. I don't have any single negative about event. Very courteous and prompt service, great Margaritas, Guacamole, fish ceviche, Tilapia al Mojo de Ajo, (Cooked on Garlic) flan, Café de Olla (Mexican coffe), great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TasteDined on 11/8/2014With a discrete entrance in a public alley off Gloucester street, the restaurant could easily be overlooked by passers by, but clearly the word has gotten out as the multiple rooms in the below ground dining area were completely full. The food is traditional, and so is the bar, and the service very friendly. It seemed to this diner that the flavor and quality of the food were special. Perhaps it was attention to the ingredients or very careful seasoning, but the overall, the meals we had were surprisingly tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and lots of funJLO18Dined on 11/7/2014Amazing margaritas and delicious food. Great spot for a fun group of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait and you'll seePorsiemprekarenlyDined on 11/4/2014The mystery behind making a reservation for a 5pm onwards restaurant is definitely a thrill. It's like visiting another country for a while, in this case Mexico. The staff is really friendly and have high expectations of what you're gonna order. They want you to really try everything and look happy with your choices of "out of the box" plates. The food isn't served hot which was a bit of a turn-off for me. They have a great Piña Colada and you should find the server named Alexander. He was really considerate and asked if it was okay to put certain ingredients in the plates that we ordered. I'm gonna go back to try the "Early Bird" special which features a fixed price for an appetizer, entrée and dessert. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!FroggyVIPDined on 11/2/2014The shrimp with tomatillos and cilantro sauce was delicious! As was the shrimp with mushrooms!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat Hidden GemKatyDined on 10/25/2014The entrance to this great Mexican restaurant is in a public alley, just off Gloucester St. Open the door and head down the steps into a lively dining room. Even though we weren't all in attendance they sat us anyway. There is lots to choose from and the food is well flavored and nothing like a chain. They were great about checking on Gluten Free options. Our server went back to confer with the kitchen and was quite gracious about it. Nice margaritas, good choices of tequila and made from scratch drinks (no sour mix in the drinks!) Salsa and guacamole was great. Sorry I can't remember the name of the dish i had (a enchilada versa) but it was yummy & nicely spiced. My dinner guests seemed happy too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Great After All These YearsPfd1234VIPDined on 10/25/2014I have been coming here for almost 30 years, and it never disappoints. Slip into the basement of the brownstone and feel like you are transported to another replace and time. These are authentic mexican dishes-so ask for a chimichanga and you will get a blank stare. But if you want some of the best mexican food in the USA, visit Señor Romero's time tested spot.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food; Fantastic PeopleCARIBDIVADined on 10/25/2014Wait staff friendly, service oriented and you get your money's worthSpecial Features:
- ILoveFoodDined on 10/24/2014The food and drinks were excellent! Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would NOT recommendMyKazanDined on 10/23/2014Would NOT recommend this place: we were waiting for our food for 1h 45 mins!!! the quality of the food we had is low and not presentable.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We have been dining here for over 30 years and it never disappoints. The food, ambiance and service have made us return year after year. This past time we dined on the outside patio, another charming area. Lingering to talk with our dining guests, we were never rushed. Find this hidden gem down an ally off Gloucester St.Special Features:
- attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014delicious margaritas, great sangria. food was very filling, don't order too much.Special Features:
- Authentic and Muy RicoDsiejkaDined on 10/16/2014The only truly Mexican Resturant in Back Bay. I travel to Mexico to visit family a few times a year and Casa Romero is like being back home. The michelada is made perfectly, as well as the tamales, Pozole, and the enchiladas verde. My wife's is from MTY and this is her favorite place for dinner in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They're Back and Worth the WaitSammieDined on 10/12/2014Casa Romero has always been a favorite destination for me and my family for celebrating. We tried several times to return to Casa as they were renovating. It was worth the wait. Casa has returned with the same warmth and excellent food - refreshed and rejuvenated. The menu has some subtle new enhancements and all four of our dinners were excellently executed and scrumptious. And - the perfect Margarita is still appropriately named.Special Features:
- AuthenticDelishDined on 10/4/2014One of the few authentic Mexican restaurants in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr. T. BladeTBladesayDined on 10/3/2014Had not been to Casa Romero in many years - happy to say and report it was terriffic - as good as memory told me. Food was delicious - great service - loud in there - great vibe. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get over the terrible serviceAlmostDrJDined on 9/21/2014After being away for a year, we recently returned to a former favorite: Casa Romero. We were excited to get a last minute reservation and to see that it wasn't crowded. However, we sat at our table for more than 10 minutes before being offered water, we had to remind the waiter about the appetizer we had ordered, and the entrees were served to the wrong people--mixing up chicken enchilada verde and vegetarian enchilada verde was not a big deal since neither of us is vegetarian, but was representative of the overall sloppy service we received. In this light, the mediocre food and stale ambience suggest this place needs major changes or it will soon go the way of the Cactus Club: broke / out of business.
- Great ethnic food, casual diningMrKlankyDined on 9/20/2014Tucked away in the northern end of the Back Bay, this restaurant prepares fine Mexican food. There are many choices; some standard fare like enchiladas, and a number of dishes that you would not find at a typical Mexican restaurant. The seating area is small, and can be loud: this is a popular restaurant. There is a small courtyard seating area that is nice when the weather allows. Definitely recommended if you like Mexican food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Bay Hidden GembackbayresiDined on 9/19/2014Great food and the staff is very nice. Do yourself a favor if you want some great Mexican food and visit Casa Romero.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newinbostonDined on 9/14/2014Enjoyed the guacamole, fish taco platter, and enchiladas verdes. However, server was hard to track down, even on a Sunday night. Also felt rushed to finish dinner.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Food was served cool to like-warm, service was poor, management was rude when we complained about the temperature of food. The bachelorette party in the main room made it impossible to rate the noise level. Cacophonous comes to mind.
- Good food, poor serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been here many times and was excited to introduce it to some of my friends. Unfortunately, we had the worst service I've ever experienced. Towards the end of our meal, one of the servers accidentally spilled a drink that got on my friends food. He was very apologetic and we were given some free drinks as a result. A short while later, a different server spilled salsa all over that same friend (on her blouse, pants, shoes). Instead of offering her meal free or at a discounted rate, our server offered baking soda for the possible stains. The worst part though was when our server already had our cards to pay for the meal and the host came over and told us we had been there too long and needed to leave!! It was humiliating and rude.Special Features:
- Casa RomeroNimisDined on 9/13/2014Drinks and foods were good, I just felt that the service lacked a little.For example I didn't take another round of drinks but was not offered more water so I didn't have anything to drink for the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Casa Romero continues to deliverOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/12/2014Once again a soid meal at Casa Romero. Patron Margarita's were very good. Ordered my go to dish, the chicken stuffed with cheese and cactus and covered in mole sauce. I just love this dish, the uniqueness of the cactus, the well executed mole and the kicker, the sauteed plantains on the side. I'll be back again soon as I can't go too long without enjoying this tasty dish....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineOutOftenVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great restaurant overall. Service was terrific, food was tasty and served in a reasonable time, even though the restaurant was full. But it was too noisy. We could not talk across the table and be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casa RomerofoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had a nice dinner but from what I had heard about this place I expected more. I got their signature dish which was pork sautéed with oranges. The meat was a little tough and the orange sauce overwhelmed it. Not bad but nothing great. My partner ordered the calamari which was overcooked. I wouldn't go out of my way to return there.Special Features:
- Charming outside; deliciousG222Dined on 8/14/2014Neighborhood gem in the alley - the outdoor patio is a cozy and pleasant spot, decor overshadowed by an ivy tower next door. Margaritas are strong, quality ingredients and well-made. Food goes above and beyond, without much flash on paper but very well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMissyzim1Dined on 8/9/2014We were looking for a Mexican restaurant in the Newbury area and read about this one in Open Table. It sounded great and it didn't disappoint us. The atmosphere fit the genre and the food was delicious. Loved the guacamole! We will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and enjoyableadaminbostonDined on 8/8/2014Really enjoyed dining outside on the small patio. Only one nitpick was that there was a couple of ants that were on the fence next to our table.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodRichDined on 8/3/2014Great meal and a awesome birthday song! Waiter was attentive and in addition to the food being great the drinks were even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!HbuniottoDined on 8/2/2014This is one of the best Mexican restaurants in Boston. The food is amazing and the service and awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrations aboundAll605Dined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely celebration for a special birthday with a group of 12 recently. Have not been to Casa Romero in many years since we left the area, but the ambience is just as charming as ever. They seemed to have a quite a few large groups celebrating birthdays and bachelorette parties amog other things, and yet our service never suffered. The quality of the food was not as high as I remembered, but again it has been a long time! A lovely evening had by all.Special Features:
- The following 70 reviews are from the Casa Romero reviews archive.
- LizzieDined on 7/28/2014Fabulous food and ambience. Have eaten there 3 times. Not crowded last time, but service not great. Had to chase down waiter several times for drinks, check, etc.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch!MCsquaredVIPDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I went here for Sunday brunch and everything was absolutely phenomenal. 100% authentic Mexican food, on par with what you you would get in the homeland. Being a Mexican who cooks, I am extremely picky about Mexican food, but have always found Casa Romero to have the most authentic, perfectly balanced dishes with vibrant flavors. Also, the service was top notch from beginning to end! We sat outside (even though we expected rain) on the adorable little patio nestled in between the Boston brownstones. Once it started raining our server quickly lowered the awning to make sure we were covered. He gave just the right amount of attention without being too smothering. Highly recommended for any meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for inviting friendsOmideIranDined on 7/26/2014I invited a group of 10 friends and family to Casa Romero. Although the door of the restaurant was opening towards an small alley and I did not expect it, the atmosphere inside the restaurant and their food and services were excellent. We enjoyed the environment and the food and all of my guests were very happy with everything there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Casa Romero!LTC123Dined on 7/17/2014This is a Boston institution - and deserves to be. Such a great spot, delicious food and all around good service and ambience. Such a gem. I just wish they would take reservations for outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.