30 Gloucester St
Boston, MA 02115Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.casaromero.com/
- Phone: 6175364341x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 10:30am-9pm Brunch/Lunch/Dinner
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Leo Romero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a very cozy private dining room that has a capacity to seat 23 people. We also offer a smaller private space that accommodates private parties from 6-8 people. Our restaurant is also open to private functions daily to celebrate birthday parties, bridal or baby showers or whatever it is you would like to celebrate.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Monis 6175364341x
- Cross Street: between Newbury st and Commonwealth Ave.
- Public Transit: Hynes Convention Center Station (Green)
Prudential Station (Green)
Copley Station (Green)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Meter parking is available on Newbury Street and there is also parking lots at the Prudential Center and on Newbury street
A word from Casa Romero
After 40 years, my customers still tell me what a delightful discovery it is to step out of a Boston alley and into the heart of Mexico. That is exactly what I had envisioned when I decorated the coffered door and walls of my restaurant with the bright Talavera tiles from Puebla, Mexico. Casa Romero is located in the midst of glamorous Back Bay at 30 Gloucester and offers the best traditional Mexican food in Boston.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casa Romero reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (36)romantic (26)great for outdoor dining (25)special occasion (24)hot spot (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Still Great After All These YearsPfd1234VIPDined on 10/25/2014I have been coming here for almost 30 years, and it never disappoints. Slip into the basement of the brownstone and feel like you are transported to another replace and time. These are authentic mexican dishes-so ask for a chimichanga and you will get a blank stare. But if you want some of the best mexican food in the USA, visit Señor Romero's time tested spot.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food; Fantastic PeopleCARIBDIVADined on 10/25/2014Wait staff friendly, service oriented and you get your money's worthSpecial Features:
- ILoveFoodDined on 10/24/2014The food and drinks were excellent! Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would NOT recommendMyKazanDined on 10/23/2014Would NOT recommend this place: we were waiting for our food for 1h 45 mins!!! the quality of the food we had is low and not presentable.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We have been dining here for over 30 years and it never disappoints. The food, ambiance and service have made us return year after year. This past time we dined on the outside patio, another charming area. Lingering to talk with our dining guests, we were never rushed. Find this hidden gem down an ally off Gloucester St.Special Features:
- attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014delicious margaritas, great sangria. food was very filling, don't order too much.Special Features:
- Authentic and Muy RicoDsiejkaDined on 10/16/2014The only truly Mexican Resturant in Back Bay. I travel to Mexico to visit family a few times a year and Casa Romero is like being back home. The michelada is made perfectly, as well as the tamales, Pozole, and the enchiladas verde. My wife's is from MTY and this is her favorite place for dinner in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They're Back and Worth the WaitSammieDined on 10/12/2014Casa Romero has always been a favorite destination for me and my family for celebrating. We tried several times to return to Casa as they were renovating. It was worth the wait. Casa has returned with the same warmth and excellent food - refreshed and rejuvenated. The menu has some subtle new enhancements and all four of our dinners were excellently executed and scrumptious. And - the perfect Margarita is still appropriately named.Special Features:
- AuthenticDelishDined on 10/4/2014One of the few authentic Mexican restaurants in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr. T. BladeTBladesayDined on 10/3/2014Had not been to Casa Romero in many years - happy to say and report it was terriffic - as good as memory told me. Food was delicious - great service - loud in there - great vibe. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get over the terrible serviceAlmostDrJDined on 9/21/2014After being away for a year, we recently returned to a former favorite: Casa Romero. We were excited to get a last minute reservation and to see that it wasn't crowded. However, we sat at our table for more than 10 minutes before being offered water, we had to remind the waiter about the appetizer we had ordered, and the entrees were served to the wrong people--mixing up chicken enchilada verde and vegetarian enchilada verde was not a big deal since neither of us is vegetarian, but was representative of the overall sloppy service we received. In this light, the mediocre food and stale ambience suggest this place needs major changes or it will soon go the way of the Cactus Club: broke / out of business.
- Great ethnic food, casual diningMrKlankyDined on 9/20/2014Tucked away in the northern end of the Back Bay, this restaurant prepares fine Mexican food. There are many choices; some standard fare like enchiladas, and a number of dishes that you would not find at a typical Mexican restaurant. The seating area is small, and can be loud: this is a popular restaurant. There is a small courtyard seating area that is nice when the weather allows. Definitely recommended if you like Mexican food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Bay Hidden GembackbayresiDined on 9/19/2014Great food and the staff is very nice. Do yourself a favor if you want some great Mexican food and visit Casa Romero.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newinbostonDined on 9/14/2014Enjoyed the guacamole, fish taco platter, and enchiladas verdes. However, server was hard to track down, even on a Sunday night. Also felt rushed to finish dinner.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Food was served cool to like-warm, service was poor, management was rude when we complained about the temperature of food. The bachelorette party in the main room made it impossible to rate the noise level. Cacophonous comes to mind.
- Good food, poor serviceluv2dineVIPDined on 9/13/2014I've been here many times and was excited to introduce it to some of my friends. Unfortunately, we had the worst service I've ever experienced. Towards the end of our meal, one of the servers accidentally spilled a drink that got on my friends food. He was very apologetic and we were given some free drinks as a result. A short while later, a different server spilled salsa all over that same friend (on her blouse, pants, shoes). Instead of offering her meal free or at a discounted rate, our server offered baking soda for the possible stains. The worst part though was when our server already had our cards to pay for the meal and the host came over and told us we had been there too long and needed to leave!! It was humiliating and rude.Special Features:
- Casa RomeroNimisDined on 9/13/2014Drinks and foods were good, I just felt that the service lacked a little.For example I didn't take another round of drinks but was not offered more water so I didn't have anything to drink for the rest of the meal.Special Features:
- Casa Romero continues to deliverOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/12/2014Once again a soid meal at Casa Romero. Patron Margarita's were very good. Ordered my go to dish, the chicken stuffed with cheese and cactus and covered in mole sauce. I just love this dish, the uniqueness of the cactus, the well executed mole and the kicker, the sauteed plantains on the side. I'll be back again soon as I can't go too long without enjoying this tasty dish....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineOutOftenVIPDined on 9/9/2014Great restaurant overall. Service was terrific, food was tasty and served in a reasonable time, even though the restaurant was full. But it was too noisy. We could not talk across the table and be heard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casa RomerofoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had a nice dinner but from what I had heard about this place I expected more. I got their signature dish which was pork sautéed with oranges. The meat was a little tough and the orange sauce overwhelmed it. Not bad but nothing great. My partner ordered the calamari which was overcooked. I wouldn't go out of my way to return there.Special Features:
- Charming outside; deliciousG222Dined on 8/14/2014Neighborhood gem in the alley - the outdoor patio is a cozy and pleasant spot, decor overshadowed by an ivy tower next door. Margaritas are strong, quality ingredients and well-made. Food goes above and beyond, without much flash on paper but very well executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findMissyzim1Dined on 8/9/2014We were looking for a Mexican restaurant in the Newbury area and read about this one in Open Table. It sounded great and it didn't disappoint us. The atmosphere fit the genre and the food was delicious. Loved the guacamole! We will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and enjoyableadaminbostonDined on 8/8/2014Really enjoyed dining outside on the small patio. Only one nitpick was that there was a couple of ants that were on the fence next to our table.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodRichDined on 8/3/2014Great meal and a awesome birthday song! Waiter was attentive and in addition to the food being great the drinks were even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!HbuniottoDined on 8/2/2014This is one of the best Mexican restaurants in Boston. The food is amazing and the service and awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrations aboundAll605Dined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely celebration for a special birthday with a group of 12 recently. Have not been to Casa Romero in many years since we left the area, but the ambience is just as charming as ever. They seemed to have a quite a few large groups celebrating birthdays and bachelorette parties amog other things, and yet our service never suffered. The quality of the food was not as high as I remembered, but again it has been a long time! A lovely evening had by all.Special Features:
- LizzieDined on 7/28/2014Fabulous food and ambience. Have eaten there 3 times. Not crowded last time, but service not great. Had to chase down waiter several times for drinks, check, etc.Special Features:
- Excellent brunch!MCsquaredVIPDined on 7/27/2014My husband and I went here for Sunday brunch and everything was absolutely phenomenal. 100% authentic Mexican food, on par with what you you would get in the homeland. Being a Mexican who cooks, I am extremely picky about Mexican food, but have always found Casa Romero to have the most authentic, perfectly balanced dishes with vibrant flavors. Also, the service was top notch from beginning to end! We sat outside (even though we expected rain) on the adorable little patio nestled in between the Boston brownstones. Once it started raining our server quickly lowered the awning to make sure we were covered. He gave just the right amount of attention without being too smothering. Highly recommended for any meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for inviting friendsOmideIranDined on 7/26/2014I invited a group of 10 friends and family to Casa Romero. Although the door of the restaurant was opening towards an small alley and I did not expect it, the atmosphere inside the restaurant and their food and services were excellent. We enjoyed the environment and the food and all of my guests were very happy with everything there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE Casa Romero!LTC123Dined on 7/17/2014This is a Boston institution - and deserves to be. Such a great spot, delicious food and all around good service and ambience. Such a gem. I just wish they would take reservations for outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but not spicyLeQuifDined on 7/17/2014Service was extremely slow. It started with the hostess who ignored us when we entered to help a customer who came in just behind us to find something/someone in the restaurant. Upon her return she was far from welcoming and seemed disdainful of our presence. Later observed her twice fawning over young, beautiful couples to find them the perfect table. It took forever to place our orders and to get our drinks. They sat us outside beside a noisy air conditioner, the hot exhaust of which made the dining experience almost intolerable. The food was exceptionally delicious and flavorful but lacked heat that makes Mexican cuisine even more enjoyable. It's a solid "meh" for me. May come back but given the cost, will probably go for someplace else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Night - ServiceMaverick2676Dined on 7/16/2014I frequent this place quite often. I love the food and the ambience. But tonight I was truly let down. Our waiter was totally spaced out (I am not sure if there was a language barrier as well). He was not attentive, we had to ask to get refills on water, order more drinks, and just general followups on our experience. He definitely did not have a "Can Do" attitude. I don't request much from wait staff, I am not one of those foodies that calls for managers to fix things. So for me to write this really took me a while to think about. This must have been a total off night for everyone. Our food took over an hour to be brought out. The wait staff just kept saying its coming. They did not even offer to bring out apps or more chips.Special Features:
- que4uVIPDined on 7/11/2014Just kind of missed the mark on most items. Long greet time by server, their "signature" orange-chipotle pork tenderloin tasted literally like it was swimming in a plate of orange juice. Friends beef dish had potato chunks which were seared but still literally rock hard. Better places out there.
- Very DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014I will begin by saying the food and drinks were good. After that…all downhill. If you don't mind entering this basement establishment through the alley, dine here. If you don't mind being greeted by an aloof server posing as a host, whom rolls his eyes whilst asking if you have a reservation on a Thursday evening at 5:45 and can't be bothered to check you in, please dine here. If you would like to be seated at the server's station in an almost empty restaurant and be forced to listen to the servers congregate, speak spanish to one another and think no one understands what they are saying, please dine here. This establishment needs an overhaul, major cleaning of the staff and restaurant itself.
- GreatFundinweDined on 7/11/2014Great overall experience; we sat outside - I recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very old, very goodTommyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Not sure how long it's been here, or how long we've been going. But it is very good Mexican food. With very good margaritas. And their guacamole, you must try the Caramelos, and the cerviche. Excellent restaurant. Loud, but that's Boston. Can get crowded in there, but their food is just terrific. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMarysFamilyDined on 7/8/2014Excellent authentic Mexican food. Orange pork is amazing. Cerviche is fresh and flavorful. Best salsa in town. Sevice is friendly. Recommend you make reservations.Special Features:
- A great evening at Casa RomeroBetsyDined on 7/5/2014We met family at Casa Romero on Saturday evening. Casa Romero was wonderful as always. Our visitors were surprised at the slightly hidden entrance on the alley, but enjoyed it greatly. It always seems like a private hideaway. The décor warm and inviting and the food was as always very authentic and delicious. The ceviche and the chicken mole were wonderful as were all our orders. After dinner, the proximity to Newbury Street made a walk very appealing . It was an evening to remember. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuncanBirthdaydinerDined on 7/4/2014Food was fine. Service was ok as we were on the early side in the evening. Menu appears to be limited, with few daily specials. May have been due to the holiday weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014Wonderful Mexican restaurant tucked charmingly in the darling basement space, entered from an alley off Gloucester Street. But the best is the inside--thoroughly welcoming, Mexican tiles and decor, great chips & salsa, and terrific food. We love their early diner prix fixe ($29 for 3 courses). But anything you choose will be delicious. Great sangria--flavorful, not too much ice. We keep coming back--happily!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Casa Romero reviews archive.