Casa di Amici
2301 Nalo Rd.
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $31 to $50
Casa di Amici
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.casadiamici.com/
- Phone: 8087421555x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:30pm to closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, International
- Executive Chef: Noah Blair
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire about offsite events.
- Private Party Facilities: Outside deck with 20-25 seating...
- Private Party Contact: Noah Blair 8087421555x
- Entertainment: Grand Piano music on Friday and Saturday
A word from Casa di Amici
Located in a quiet neighborhood above beautiful Poipu Beach, Casa di Amici has been preparing our wonderful cuisine for over 23 years. The menu is 20% classic Italian and the rest is international-ecclectic and very cross cultural cuisine. The use of organic greens and vegetables grown on the island and in our own garden help create a unique dining experience. Chef Noah Blair loves to use rissoto as a component in many dishes with influences from Spain, Thailand, China,France,as well as Italy. Off the beaten path, the restaurant has a reputation of being "the hidden gem of Poipu."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Casa di Amici reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (15)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (7)special occasion (5)notable wine list (4)good for groups (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Hidden GemtorchyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Tucked away in a residential area is this charming Italian restaurant with some interesting international items from Thai to Duck Confit. While I can't speak to the Thai the lady at the next table described her Duck Confit as "amazing" and I can vouch that our Italian dishes would have been delicious to the last morsel except neither my wife nor I could eat that much. She chose a house specialty that combined prawns (tails removed) and linguini with a myriad of other ingredients and flavors (garlic for sure) that burst in your mouth. Yes I tasted. My dish was not on the menu but I combined the gnocchi side with their sugo pomodoro from another dish and never were feather light pillows combined with such a succulent, thick reduced sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service and foodJayODined on 9/4/2014Thought for a change we would try an Italian meal and was pleasantly surprised at how good this place wasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must while in KauaiKauaijunkieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Yes there is Roy's and The Beach House…but don't discount Casa di Amici. The artful presentation, the combination of spices…thinking outside of the box. The risotto ( on the appetizer menu but entrée sized) is a perfect example. The Italian entrees are always well done. Save room for the Banana's Foster.Special Features:
- Amazing food, passionate staffScottWDined on 8/26/2014This was our second visit here and we were very impressed. I ordered the Chinese Roasted Pork on Carbonara Risotto and my wife had the Veal Piccata. Both were excellent but we agreed that my dish was completely over the top. The entire front staff including owner/chef Randal made multiple visits to our table to check on us and each shared a true passion for what they do. We felt like we'd had lessons in gourmet cuisine after hearing of how they cure their own meats and prepare the dishes we were considering. Tucked away in a neighborhood, it's a little hard to find but well worth the effort. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- The Best Food on Kauaigmgleo814Dined on 8/23/2014This charming restaurant is nestled a few blocks from the shoreline but has all the ambiance and charm desired for a beautiful night out and dinner, with a grand pianist on weekends who really knows his stuff and plays nearly continuously and flawlessly during the evening. The food and service was absolutely outstanding with many fresh fish selections and other items on the menu to tickle your pallet. GREAT PLACE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJkrich49Dined on 8/14/2014We went a little apprehensive of previous reviews, but our experience was excellent. The service was spot on, always available. We started with Calamari on a caper sauce that was very good. My wife had Veal Piccata & I had grilled Salmon. The portions were generous and cooked perfectly. The wine list is island pricey, to be expected. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem is an understatementNuffyontourDined on 8/13/2014Wow. Our second visit here and it did take some finding but it was our most memorable meal on Hawaii both times. The menu has so many excellent options it took our table ages to actually get to a decision. Every dish exceeded expectations. The owners (disguised as the water boy and waitress and he is also head chef) and wait staff were really welcoming and made our dinner so much more enjoyable. Wine list was good. Certainly the best, high quality and most interesting food we have had on the islands.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, wonderful service!LovekauaiDined on 8/12/2014We have been coming to Kauai for 18 years and have exhausted every other restaurant. Decided to try out this tucked away restaurant, knowing we would be giving up a night out staring at the ocean. I wish we would've done this years earlier! Delicious food, we shared "family style" and chose 4 dishes. Everything was amazing and big portions! The staff was friendly and so attentive. We will definitely keep this hidden gem on our rotation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down & DisappointedRuthieDined on 6/30/2014It was a BIG disappointment as service was lousy. We didn't see the waiter after he took our order. Caesar Salad drenched with dressing and had to return. Mushroom & polenta dish was alright. Bread brought to the table without telling us there is a charge $4. Not a place where local residents are given good service. Visitors seemed to get all the attention. The check came with tip included and the service wasn't even worth a $52 tip! Guess we won't be dining here again. I think owner is getting ready to retire.......
- Can't keep us away!Kauai1215Dined on 6/27/2014We've been eating at Casa di Amici for 10 years! This latest trip we've been there twice in one week. The food is outstanding! If you want a fantastic meal and don't want to pay the extremely high prices that most of the high end Poipu restaurants want - this is your place! We are a group of 7 (kids to seniors) and they are extremely accommodating. Great menu and full bar. It can be tricky to find so be sure you have directions or a good map.Special Features:
- PricesArcherDined on 6/15/2014Although food was good, prices seemed on the high side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casa di Amici is ALWAYS exceptionalFoodieFunVIPDined on 6/12/2014We come to Poipu once or twice a year for 3 to 4 nts each trip. When we are in the South Shore, we eat EVERY night at Casa di Amici - and LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it!!! The food is exceptional, and Randall and Joanna are as gracious and kind as one could hope for...thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLloydVIPDined on 6/7/2014Staff was very attentive and friendly. The food was well prepared, and the portions were very generous. It is a little out of the way, but worth finding while you are staying here. One of the best on the island. Lots of choices on the menu!!Special Features:
- MikeDined on 5/28/2014Outstanding food. One of a kind on Kauai. I had a dinner special, Lasagna that was the best I have ever had. My wife had the Ahi which she loved. The couple with us had the Duck which I tried and found it to be spectacular. His wife had the chicken gorgonzola over pasts that she said was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 142 reviews are from the Casa di Amici reviews archive.
- Hidden TreasureAZWartsDined on 5/22/2014We found Casa di Amici several years ago while in Kauai & enjoyed the meal then. It's tucked away in a neighborhood, bring a map or smart phone for navigation. While we thoroughly enjoyed the meal & service this time as well, there was also a guest piano player that we enjoyed immensely. Was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemShanaDined on 4/22/2014I wish we would have found this place sooner! In my opinion, one of the best places to eat in Kauai. The server allowed my father to taste a sauce prior to ordering. We ordered more 'tapas' style, which allowed for more tastes. The food was of good quality, wonderful flavors, and some very unique blends. We truly enjoyed our meal and hope that others find this hidden gem!Special Features:
- AWFUL, NON-EXISTENT SERVICERainbowConnectionDined on 4/14/2014We had a reservation - arrived & stood at entrance for 10 minutes before anyone showed up to seat us. We were seated at last, given menus & 2 glasses of water. That was it!! Not a single person stopped at our table after that - no drinks - nothing- not even the common courtesy to say "someone will be with you soon". So, we sat there for 30 minutes (we timed it). We're patient people, but this was crazy. Finally, we left.-very weird treatment- never experienced at any restaurant ever. We read other reviews about their lack of service, but didnt let that hamper our decision to go. We didn't even taste the water, so we wouldnt know what anything tastes like. So can't rate the food at all. Based on rude treatment, wouldn't recommend it.
- Much better options availableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2014Staff was nice, but slow. View is of the parking lot. Food costs $$$$ but was overpriced. We booked on Open Table but confirmed by phone changing the time. When we arrived 15 mins early (new time), the place only had two other tables active, but the server said we had goofed them up by coming early. Plenty of other great places to eat in the area that are on the water and cost less. No need to add this one to the list.
- Best sauces, risotto, gnocchi!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/2/2014Best sauces, risotto, gnocchi! Very creative menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedJVPonKauaiVIPDined on 3/30/2014This has been one of our favorite places in Poipu. Slightly off the beaten path, less touristy. We have heard that things had changed, but were not ready for what happened. We had six people. We all ordered salads, but after a full half hour wait, only four showed up. An appetizer came out with the entrees after another half hour wait. And then to cap off the night, they added a 20% gratuity to the tab (most places do this for 8 or more). Needless to say it will be a long time before we come back!!!
- Decent ItalianBobMcCDined on 3/29/2014My Lobster Bisque app was delicious. My Fettucini Nero was good... Quite spicy, but I didn't mind. Lots of spicy sausage. Wife's Linguini with shrimp was a bit over salty... Proberly because of the capers. The garlic park bruschetta was disappointing... They used a std sub bun instead of a good baguette or Italian breadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not exceptionalBenGunnDined on 3/26/2014Disappointing over all. Casa di Amici seems to be struggling to live up to its reputation for a fine dining experience. The menu is innovative enough, but the execution is heavy handed. Sauces are heavy and lack nuance or subtlety. No separate checks for groups over four, with a mandatory 20% gratuity for service that rated 10% at most, so reserve separate tables and push them together if you will not all be ordering the same price meal or if you want your gratuity to reflect your experience. The ambiance and décor are nice and servings are generous, so Casa di Amici has the potential to please. I might give it another try if we return next year.Special Features:
- Disappointed by the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014This was our 3rd visit to this restaurant, in as many years, and we have raved about the food and servicei to others in the past. Unfortunately the poor service that we received at this last visit will stop the recommendations. Our dinner at Casa D'amici was in celebration of our son in law's birthday (we were a party of 6). The birthday itself was barely acknowledged by our server and the service was overall fair to poor. The restaurant was not busy during our visit with numerous empty tables apparent. Considering the 20% added gratuity to our bill of $372, we expected very good to exceptional service, as we had experienced previously, not fair to poor). Sadly we will be seeking somewhere new for our next "special dinner out" in Kauai.Special Features:
- Poor service; mediocre foodDinerOutDined on 3/22/2014Casa di Amici was recommended to us by a friend. We were disappointed with the experience. The server seemed put off that we were even there. Paid $12/plate for buttered noodles for our kids, which I found to be obscene. Overall, food was mediocre at best. By far the worst dining experience we had on Kauai.
- Portion sizes too much: appetizerKamakahinanaDined on 3/21/2014Portion sizes too much: appetizer was almost a meal by itself. Pinot Gris from Oregon was sub-par. Service was fine, but recall food having been better during past visits to Casa Di Amici. Would still recommend the restaurant to a friend, but with the caution to be very careful selecting one 's entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We won't be backCassiecatVIPDined on 3/13/2014We have eaten at Casa di Amici a number of times before. It was always good to very good. The food this time was not good - the duck was over-done, the sage in the sauce seemed out of place both in terms of taste and in terms of texture. The scampi was filled with peppers, which really didn't belong. My salad was good, but the calamari was too heavily breaded. Our server worked hard, but they were simply understaffed. It's too bad, as this a is place we used to enjoy.
- New owner but same great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/5/2014We have been frequenting this restaurant for 17 years and we were a bit taken to hear it was sold to a new owner but we were pleased to find out the new owner was a long time family friend and that the food was still the same. We will return for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service by "Hollywood".LynardDined on 3/2/2014"Hollywood" readily handled our group of 6, and had no problem splitting the bill as requested. Great sense of humor. Excellent knowledge of the menu items; making appropriate recommendations. Compliments to the chef!Special Features:
- Hidden gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/24/2014My husband and I drove up an there were NO cars I'm the parking lot (@6:25 pm) and we were like, "are they open? Uh-oh, If no one is here this could be a bad sign." But people did start rolling in and and for good reason. The food was really good. I had duck with this delicious cherry glaze which was really tasty. My sides were good as well. My husband had the ahi which was also very good. The only downside would have to be in comparison to some if the other views we've had while dining, this parking lot view was a little lackluster. But that was ok, because everything else was top notch, and we felt like we found a cool little place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden but worth the searchfredDined on 2/21/2014we found the service, food and atmosphere well worth the search.Special Features:
- HorridSloth64VIPDined on 2/20/2014Overpriced, overspiced but always undercooked. Recommend it to your enemies and get your revenge.
- Food was very spicy, and theJimboDined on 2/19/2014Food was very spicy, and the menu said 'spicy' itlalian sausage but this was really spicy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceGirlsDined on 2/14/2014It was too bad that the service was so bad because the food was excellent. The waiter knew nothing about the wine list. He then ran out of ground pepper and preceded to throw a pepper shaker at us as he ran by. Our receipt was not itemizes so we aren't even sure we were charged correctly.Special Features:
- Valentine 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014On my reservation request I made it cleat when booking that our dear friends who were traveling with us were celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary also this was their first time in Hawaii. None this was ever acknowedged by the restaurant staff or management. I was disappointed in the manner this was handled by the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A so, so evening!PeanutDined on 2/14/2014We have dined at this restaurant many times over the past twenty plus years we have visited this island. This was our most disappointing experience. Our waiter treated us like we were a nuisance with a very indifferent attitude. The food was good but the service was not.
- Food was greatTable42Dined on 2/14/2014Food was great. Not enough parking. Lighting was bad. Made it very difficult to read the menu. Service could have been better. Slow and not very friendly. Carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quaint charmharryDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant had good food. Parking was limited. Service was good. We had a 4 year old with us, and this is not a restaurant that welcomes children. We had a good experience with good food, but is not the best choice if you are dining with children.Special Features:
- A nice change of paceAES1Dined on 2/7/2014Very good food that was a change of pace from the usual Kauai fine-dining restaurant fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic Italian/HawaiinFoodieDined on 2/5/2014We came in when there was a larger party in the tail end of their meal. Service was slow to get drinks and bread. Bread was served cold, not sure if that's usual for this restaurant, but I would have rather had it warm. Order took quite a while to come out, and service improved when we were the only group left on the porch. I had some die hard Italian lovers with me and they were a bit confused with the dishes. Was expecting simple but fabulous Italian. Turned out to be Italian with a fusion of Hawaiian. If you are looking for unique tastes, this place may be your pick of the day. If you are looking for basic hearty Italian, you may be a bit disappointed! The porch provided for nice ambience,location is a bit odd amidst houses.Special Features:
- This used to be one of ourxyzzVIPDined on 1/31/2014This used to be one of our favorite places, but the service was poor and insulting. Never again.