Casa del Barco
320 South 12th Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Casa del Barco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.casadelbarco.com/
- Phone: 8047752628x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 12th and Virginia St
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking validation (for up to 3 hours) is available at The Riverside on The James Parking Deck (Troutman Sanders building), entrance on 10th St.. Please request a validation ticket from the front desk staff or your server.
Valet parking is available at the corner of S 12th and Virginia Streets on Friday and Saturday nights.
A word from Casa del Barco
Residing in the restored Reynolds Italianate Building on the Canal, Casa Del Barco is Richmond's singular destination for authentic Mexican cuisine. Beverage Director, Michael Avery, has compiled the most extensive stock of tequilas in the region.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Casa del Barco - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Casa del Barco reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (51)good for groups (45)scenic view (34)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (25)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (20)romantic (18)hot spot (14)great for brunch (13)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Sunday dinnerdukeDined on 9/7/2014We went to Casa del Barco on a Sunday night with another couple and ate outside. The food and atmosphere was great. The restaurant was not busy and we had great service.Special Features:
- So happy I went!TsmithDined on 9/6/2014It was my first time going to Casa Del Barco and I am so happy I went. My husband and I went for a date night and the atmosphere was perfect! Food was delicious (we both ate the bang bang shrimp tacos). I will definitely be going back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special attentiondcdinerVIPDined on 9/1/2014The manager, Chef, and server were very attentive to my food allergies. They were all involved with making sure my meal was safe and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time! Super find!CarskiVIPDined on 8/27/2014Had a group of 7 for dinner in this restaurant for the first of the time. We had a super fun evening. The food was really good, not great but very good. Fun drink list and tequila bottle game to participate in. The service was a little slow but overall the experience at Casa del Barco was Very Good. Will definately go back.Special Features:
- Overhyped and underwhelmingEat4enjoymentDined on 8/27/2014The first impression was the high noise level, followed by the sparse one-page menu - no, there is nothing on the back. Server was knowledgable and attentive. Chips were served in minuscule mini-deep fryer baskets, rather than traditional baskets. I had the chicken fajita. While the chicken portion was good-sized, it was way too spicy. The beans and rice were both very good, but portions were very small and served in little steep-sided bowls that made eating with a fork frustrating (no spoons provided). The companionship made it an enjoyable evening, but as a couple, we won't be returning.
- WE will returnMikeDined on 8/25/2014This was our fifth time having dinner here, we brought friends from NoVa and they also loved the experience, The lobster Tacos were amazing!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The service was VERY SLOW. This was an after work business dinner. The food was not good. The bean bowl had no flavor. The margueritas and mojitos were not good; should have sent them all back but didn't want to make a scene.Special Features:
- great night outfoodie444Dined on 8/22/2014We absolutely love this restaurant...not so crowded now that it has been here for a while but great location and food! Only downside is there is almost no parking available and valet is NOT complimentary like at many other restaurants downtown of similar price range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!DittyVIPDined on 8/21/2014My wife had to take a class down in Richmond so we stayed downtown. I noticed this 1,000 point restaurant so I thought that I would give it try. The only bad thing I have to say is that it was really hard to find with all of the construction going on in that neighborhood. However, my wife, who is half-Mexican herself and hard to impress by Mexican restaurants, really enjoyed the food. I though that it was a fun place.Special Features:
- Disappointed with Barcolooking4goodfoodinRVADined on 8/20/2014After searching and walking and climbing stairs, we finally made it to Casa Barco only to discover a mediocre restaurant of an old manufacturing building with loud noise. It would have been worth the effort if the food had been good; but even that was mediocre. The sauces for chips was even nasty. Please go for fresh in all of the ingredients in your menu Casa Barco. The music could use a turn down with a selection of Latino sounds to create ambiance; if that is what you are trying to achieve. Good luck, in making your restaurant a destination. The only good thing going for you now is your wait staff (which was courteous and respectful).
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Love it, but music level is a little high. Marguerita's are excellent and recommend the quacs and fish tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal and ambiance!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We were in town for the weekend and loved this place! Great view of the canal walk and in a quiet location. Definitely try the flights of tequila for something a bit different and fun. Service was great.Special Features:
- Will be Back!!BusDocDined on 8/10/2014The Chicken Taco Salad was the best of it's kind in Richmond. Great value with respect to the service, fresh/quality food ingredients & preparation and ambience (outdoors and indoors) provided for the price. I can validate Richmond Magazine's rating as a top outdoor setting (i.e. patio) restaurant as the seating was spacious and comfortable in overlooking the canals and large mural across the way. Bailey, out server, was very knowledgeable, energetic and attentive...just excellent. Aly Cecere, the manager, actively followed up with her customers. The very few prior Trip Advisor remarks concerning poor service were not at all validated by our visit. We will be back.Special Features:
- LuvtheLawDined on 8/5/2014Management was very attentive and accommodating. Amazing selection of tequila for those tequila snobs out there! The server did not ask, and thus did not bring beer glasses to any and all who ordered bottled beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!dougc84Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went here with a couple friends over the weekend. The food was great, the service was absolutely outstanding, but, for 8 PM on a Saturday night, it seemed strangely vacant. The decor was very pretty, but the fact it seemed so empty was a little worrisome upon entering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014Really liked CdB. Food was exciting and different, imaginitive, fresh and tasty. Our waiter was charming and knowlegeble, friendly and attentive. (sorry - I forgot his name) Noisy, noisy, noisy, so not for everyone. We had fun learning about tequila.Special Features:
- Hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014Our now go to hot spot in Richmond. Great atmosphere and delicious food.Special Features:
- Was okayALBRVADined on 7/27/2014It was only second time I had been, but it was just mediocre. We went for brunch and it was just okay. The did tasted fine, but nothing special that I have to go back for. The mimosa carafes were so full of ice it was a waste of my money. This part isn't there fault, but outside was disgusting. The canal was so horrible and dirty and there was construction all around on the sidewalks, etc it was just a huge mess. It made the nice restaurant seem trashy. Again that is not their fault, but when everything inside was just so blah the outside adds to it. I doubt I'll go back.
- Good eats off the beaten canal pathThedonvaDined on 7/27/2014Wife and I went here for brunch. The food was excellent - I had the breakfast burrito and she had the scrambled eggs and shredded pork over a corn tortilla. If you like your food spicy then the burrito with chorizo hits the spot. I wish they had a little more on the brunch menu (perhaps migas and fajitas), but as I said the food was muy bueno. My only ding is the for the construction taking place outside - the sidewalk was torn up which took away from the ambience, but that is no fault of the restaurant and will be fixed in time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be betterDaveDined on 7/22/2014There was lots of construction going on outside the restaurant. They are building a bridge to make it more convenient to get across the canal to the restaurant, but right now it is a lot of noise. No outside dining at present would be desirable. I was told mid August should have the construction completed. Only downside to our dining experience was a group of ladies who were very, very loud. They were seated at a table in center of the dining area, so everyone was impacted. They eventually quieted down and we enjoyed the rest of our dining experience.Special Features:
- Sat on the PatioTank2kVIPDined on 7/20/2014WE enjoyed sitting on the patio and enjoying our Tacos Carne Asada. The ambiance was great, the service exceptional and all around enjoyable meal. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Good fun, good foodRichmondfoodDined on 7/19/2014This looks like a great place for large groups, as there were several on the Saturday night of our visit. I enjoyed the party atmosphere. However, there were only 2 in my party, which may be the reason our service was so poor. The food was good, though, so I plan to give it another try.Special Features:
- Good food, great drinks!12FoodieDined on 7/18/2014…and even better service. Our waiter was excellent…not too intrusive, but always seemed to be there when we needed something. The blackened Mahi tacos were excellent, as was the guacamole. The drinks, especially the tequila "flight," were out of this world. Great evening!Special Features:
- Just OKPeteyJDined on 7/12/2014I attended this restaurant with my parents, nephew and roommate. If I had to use one word to describe the experience it would be underwhelming. We started with the guacamole, which was ok, but lacking in real flavor. We had beer, wine, and cocktails at the table which were all very nice. For my entree, I had the Rice and Beans with Barbacoa; again just really lacking in flavor. The server was attentive and very nice. I would go back here for happy hour, maybe and appetizer, but I don't think it will make the list for a dinner destination.
- Great food and atmospheretimberVIPDined on 7/10/2014Food was great, service was great. Not much else to say hahaSpecial Features:
- NellyDined on 7/5/2014The atmosphere was fantastic. They had a live band playing inside. My friend and I sat outside and it was a bit hard to see as the only lighting was the candle. The food was good and even better when our server remembered the sauce. The only bad aspect was our server. Hardly ever saw him. Our drinks, water, and food were finished for quite sometime before we were able to track him down. I will visit again in hopes I have a better server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!mcdaniellpDined on 7/5/2014As usual, the service and food was wonderful! Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexico on the JamessnoopsisterDined on 7/3/2014Very competent front desk staff. Can't say the same about the wait staff. Difficult to get anyone's attention. The food is only fair. The drinks are better. Not sure even after eating that I got what I ordered and no one to ask before it got cold. Young crowd and the bar looked like fun.
- Worth checking out!BethDined on 7/2/2014Cool area of town. Outdoor seating is nice. Good fresh, some not too heavy Mexican Food. Unique menu items too (mango habeñero quacamole as an example - yum!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Service was great food was overpriced, small portions. Was more fit to brunch portionsSpecial Features:
- Yummy FoodLovnLanceDined on 6/28/2014We sat outside in the perfect spot for a couple and were then forgotten...Our drinks were finished, we had gotten earlier at the bar, and we had no water, we were finally asked to order and we didn't receive our chips and salsa until the food was almost there. We never received the guacamole we had ordered. Then it took forever to get our check. We had hoped to listen to the live music but by 9:35 the band still hadn't started. I really liked the atmosphere, the restaurant has a lot of potential. I think maybe our waiter was having an off night...We will try again another time. The Food was Great!!! Enjoyed the Canal Walk afterwards..Great location.Special Features:
- RVA HOTSPOTScienceStilettosDined on 6/27/2014Excellent restaurant with a beautiful view of the canal. Each time I go, the quality of food and service is always the same!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Everything was great about this restaurant. We have been here a few times and the food, atmosphere, and service are normally too notch, we got unlucky this time with a very unattentive server. We had to track him down just to get some water at the beginning of the meal and then track him down to get our bill. The food was excellent as expected though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday LuncheonFan4CDBDined on 6/16/2014I have been to Casa del Barco before and every time I have been there it has been a great experience from the time you step in, clean restaurant, host to sit you, to fine dining and the waiter always been so pleasant. The reservation to a lunch birthday celebration was superb! I will surely returned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousZaraVIPDined on 6/14/2014Good food, service and atmosphere! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican we ever had!traveler2014Dined on 6/14/2014Everything was great. Only complaint was when we called to make a reservation for that Friday night, the girl asked if it was our first time and we said yes. Well it would have been nice if she told us you offered Valet parking since we had to park 6 blocks away. When I mentioned it to the hostess when we arrived she wasn't very interested . Besides that we loved the restaurant.Special Features:
- Flavor ExplosiontomcatterVIPDined on 6/14/2014Had the occasion to visit Casa Del Barco on an overnight trip to Richmond, VA. Nice refreshing explosion of flavors with the different dishes we ordered. The empanadas were crispy and flaky and the house-made salsa's were truly delightful. We will definitely return on our next visit to the area to experience some of the other culinary delights. Warning: Finding the restaurant can be tricky since it is next to the canal and off-street. Ask the locals when you get to the approximate area. Validated parking is available.Special Features:
- locationcaroldvaDined on 6/11/2014Explicit directions to the resturant Should be posted to the website. Finding the location was a true challenge...almost gave up. Once found, it was a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- patio dining the bestdcdinerVIPDined on 6/8/2014we love sitting on the patio having a meal, watching the people across the canal jogging, walking their dogs, etc. The service is always good, the food is enjoyable, the drinks are refreshingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor lunchStar23456VIPDined on 5/26/2014We sat outside on the patio for lunch on Sunday and it was perfect! Beautiful day, view, good and service. I love that the chips come in a personal basket for each person at the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.