148 Civitas Street
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carterskitchenion.com/
- Phone: 8432840840
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Christian Watson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Eric Zwart 8432840840
A word from Carter's Kitchen
Located on the beautiful I'On square, Chef/Owner Robert Carter has brought simple yet refined American cuisine to his neighborhood restaurant in Mt Pleasant. Offering several distinct dining settings from the covered veranda to the white table clothed chef's room to the community table and bar seating, the restaurant has something to offer no matter what the mood. The menu is just as versatile utilizing local products and a bounty of seafood options.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carter's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
- Carter's Kitchen is closeditalyVIPDined on 1/15/2014Carter's Kitchen is closed and we received no notice.
- We'll be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013Great neighborhood. Great restaurant. Great food. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than expectedMullisDenDined on 12/24/2013We are visitors to the area and were referred by our hotel desk manager to check Open Table. We found Carter's Kitchen. Comfortable atmosphere, service by Meg was spot on, food was delicious and creative. We will definitely return when back in the Charleston area. Thank you for a memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationLarjoeDined on 12/21/2013For two consecutive years my wife and I have celebrated our wedding anniversary at Carter's Kitchen. The food is outstanding, and the service is attentive and friendly without being overbearing. There are also nice little perks included with dinner for special occasions. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit and still delightfulSimpleDinerVIPDined on 12/20/2013This was our second visit to Carter's Kitchen. It is fabulous. The modernised low-country cuisines is prepared perfectly. Their pimento cheese and their coconut cake are two house specialties. The owner will likely glad-hand you as he passes through the dining room. It's a very relaxed and convivial atmosphere and the servers are skilled but still friendly and relaxed. We have both times sat at a table in the bar area which seems a bit livelier than their porch tables or chef's dining room. You can do a tasting menu here. And they are known for their sunday brunch. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uggfoodfanVIPDined on 12/17/2013the food was very goos but the staff was absolutely insulting!!! I would never go back!Special Features:
- We made a reservation forBillDined on 12/11/2013We made a reservation for Jan 25 through Open Table and it was confirmed. Then we read in the paper that Carter's Kitchen had suffered a fire on Dec 28 and would be closed "for further notice". Never heard anything about the closure from Open Table. We would have been very surprised if we had gone to the restaurant on Jan 25!! My ratings are based on earlier visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was an amazingly good experience.DaisymayDined on 11/24/2013Was an amazingly good experience. Went there as a result of having grits at Rutledge Cab Company and wanted to buy grits and was told to go to Carter's Kitchen. It is now one of my very favorite restaurants and I'll definitely be back--bringing friends each time! Server was excellent and added tremendously to the whole experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/9/2013We weren't aware of this gem of a restaurant until we saw it on Open Table. Simple, beautiful atmosphere and terrific food that the chef cared enough about to come to our table. We'll return.Special Features:
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2013This was our first visit to Carter's Kitchen. We live in Myrtle Beach and decided to celebrate a birthday in Charleston. Had heard of Chef Carter and wanted to give it a try. We were delighted. We were pleased on every point...food, service, ambiance. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningJanieDined on 11/2/2013Beautiful setting, great service. Food was good but could use some tweaking. The entree (sword fish) was a bit salty. The kale Caesar salad was a bit too simple for the price. It was kale, shaved Parmesan , and a vinaigrette . The oyster appetizer was lovely and delicious . I will go again .Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2013We've eaten at this restaurant numerous times and always felt the menu selection, food quality and service was very good to excellent. This time we were very disappointed. One of the dishes we had was fried flounder and shrimp at $23. It was bland and unremarkable. Seemed like a meal I might have gotten at a lesser restaurant for $15. We will not be heading back to Carter's Kitchen anytime soon.
- What a gem!DanaVIPDined on 10/29/2013First time and it exceeded expectations! Everything was great from the appetizer to dessert. Don't miss the coconut cake. In my opinion it's better than Peninsula Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carter's takes care of their dinersdinerconnoisseurDined on 10/26/2013My husband and I went to Carter's kitchen for our 7th anniversary. We mentioned in our reservation that we were celebrating. Our server took care of us as if we were her personal best friend. With champagne, limoncello shots and dessert all gifted to us, we were beyond shocked and grateful. The chicken gizzard appetizer was superb, along with both entrees, the lamb and the quail. All food was exquisite. I also must mention the Mt. P Mule specialty drink with gingerbeer as one of the ingredients that I certainly could have enjoyed several of if we had chosen to be careful and stay at the inn! We will most definitely be going back to Carter's kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service weresouthpawDined on 10/25/2013The food and service were very good. We all loved the menu selection.Special Features:
- Excellent foodAWEKDined on 10/22/2013Carter's Kitchen's food was excellent - each course was outstanding and all parties enjoyed it. It was a nice, serene setting and wasn't as noisy as many restaurants in Charleston. I highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchRichDined on 10/20/2013Great spot for a very nice but not rushed Sunday Brunch. Great food and service. Restaurant small enough to keep a personal feel. Would be great for semi-outdoor dining as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over whiskedDebbieDDined on 10/20/2013Our waitress was perfect. The sound system was far too loud and the play list inappropriate for brunch; a series of late night bar crowd music is unwelcome at 9:00 am. The spinach omelet was fair. The eggs were too stiff and dry; vee little spinach or goat cheese. The waffle presentation was poor. One big lonely waffle plopped on a plate is poor to fair. At a minimum, there should be some garnish alongside: sliced strawberry, slices of banana, even a dollop of whipped cream. Coffee was fair.
- Love it!LoveCharlestonDined on 10/19/2013As part timers in South Carolina, we've now been to Carter's 5 times and have loved it. We just brought 2 couples who were visiting us from Dallas, and they thought it was fantastic. Everything excellent...food, service, and atmosphere. Fun and creative local dishes that were all very delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous...Again!FoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2013We have been three times the last 2 weeks, taking different friends and visitors...each time it has been consistently delicious! The highlight of my meal this time was the duck. It was crispy, and the orange sauce was a great accompaniant. Love this place, and how wonderful it is a short walk away!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in CharlestonRosenbergsDined on 10/16/2013The best restaurant in Charleston is not in Charleston. It is Carters Kitchen, across the bridge in Mt. Pleasant.Special Features:
- DisappointingscdivaDined on 10/15/2013We chose Carter's against other favorite restaurants for a special occasion celebration. Unfortunately it fell short on food and service expectations.....quite a disappointment as we have dined at the Kitchen before. Each food course was lacking and fell flat on the palate.....Robert needs to "keep a finger in the pot" so to speak to maintain his stellar reputation among foodies. Although it WAS a weeknight, it became busy and service was slow with only 2 wait staff working the entire floor. All in all an 'ok' experience, but Carter's is now a secondary dine-out list option.
- Everything is always goodFoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2013Everything is always good here. For this occasion I took some of my family who were visiting for the weekend. They commented that this was their favorite meal...the truffle Parmesan fries, fried okra, scallops with a bacon jam were the highlights! Service is always wonderful.Special Features:
- A hit all the way around!OutToDinnerGirlDined on 10/12/2013Carter's Kitchen was outstanding Saturday night. We had blue crab & succatosh fritters, fried oysters on a bed of creamy grits & sausage, fish & shrimp entree, and the crispy pork shank entree. Coconut cake for dessert. Every dish was well made, fresh and delicious. We will definitely return. Put Carter's Kitchen on your must list and go back if you haven't been in a while. Great staff, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulchrisDined on 10/4/2013wife and i both had flounder and shrimp. food was excellent. good wine selection and craft beer list. wife said it was the best meal she's had since we moved here. we have added this to our list of date night restaurants in mt pleasant (graze is the only other one on the list to date). tucked away in a very nice little neighborhood where you feel comfortable walking around after dark. irish pub across the street for after dinner drinks if needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carter's GreatnesswinoheadhunterDined on 10/4/2013Every time we dine here we are never disappointed. Food and service are great and what he can do with seafood!!!! and the Sancerre is wonderful. Treat yourself to something you deserve, a meal at Carter Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with great lookaquinbyDined on 9/29/2013Good food with great look you in the eyes service. Went back again with another group. Would recommend more Italian wines (well that's just me). ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out seventh visitdisasterVIPDined on 9/20/2013we brought out of town guests, who were very impressed its every bit as good as downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic2couplesDined on 9/14/2013We were pleasantly surprised. One of best meals we've had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekGamecockDined on 9/14/2013The quality of food was GREAT! The quantity of food was NOT GREAT! The service by KJ was outstanding. She was GREAT! So for $40 we recived 3 scallops, 1 rib and a piece of cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy dinnerNorthparkDined on 9/14/2013Our dinner was so yummy we had to take some home with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the coconut cake was to dieOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2013the coconut cake was to die for, very moist. The server states it wwas a new recipie. Fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant week at Carter's KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2013Another wonderful meal at Carter's Kitchen. We were greeted promptly at the door. We were early so we had a drink at the bar before dinner. We were seated promptly at our reservation time. The only disappointment was we weren't seated in the section we requested (of our favorite waitress.). We each enjoyed selections from the Restaurant Week menu, but the standout was the coconut cake! Worth the price of admission, it was light, sweet and a large enough piece to share. Chef Carter came to our table while we were enjoying dessert, and he said it would be on the regular menu starting right after RestaurantSpecial Features:
- Coconut cakejwgjrDined on 9/13/2013We came because of Restaurant Week and the Chef's famous Coconut Cake. I was delighted w. the cake, but the Quail was disappointing. It was alot of work for so little a meal. Not the best choice. The men enjoyed their choice of the Rib, very tender and hearty. For the location, its distance from our home, I'm not sure that we will be back, unless I'm dying for a piece of coconut cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceLisaVIPDined on 9/13/2013The staff at Carter's Kitchen is wonderful....just like the food! Great spot for brunch and, of course, dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Findpaulq101Dined on 9/12/2013We decided to go to Carter's Kitchen as part of restaurant week. They had a very interesting menu - actually we thought the restaurant menu had better choices than the regular menu! We both had the quail over pasta with mushrooms - superb! This, and the scallop appetizer (also excellent) should be added to the everyday menu. The only issue we had - when I made the reservation, I said it was a very special birthday for my wife and emphasized this when they called to confirm our reservation. i was hoping for at least a candle in her dessert (coconut cake - better than Plantation Grill!), but it wasn't even mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerGourmetDined on 9/12/2013Everything about this experience was outstanding, Our server was KJ and talented she was. I really don't know the Manager's name but I thought he was awful. Arrogant and dismissive was the vibe. Not we are glad you are here and we hope your evening is special. I would return, but in spite of him. I wish I had asked his name so I could give him proper credit. I have owned businesses for years and not once did I have an over inflated opinion of myself. And yes, the coconut was wonderful.Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/11/2013The food and service was excellent. The atmosphere was very good. There was no available parking near the restaurant. I will recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was excellent.MauiYumDined on 9/11/2013The food and service was excellent. We can't wait to return to try some of the other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Memorable FoodFountainjDined on 9/10/2013Wow. We were excited to try Carter's Kitchen...and very pleased overall. The rolls they bring to start, honestly, are some of the best things I've eaten! My Prime Rib was excellent, and my husband's peppered bacon quail was amazing! We went because we heard the coconut cake was great...and it definitely was! My only complaint was that due to the in-and-out of waiters to get to the terrace outside, I got eaten up by mosquitoes even though we were sitting inside! As dinner wound down, I was hoping to receive our check a little quicker--our waiter was not as intuitive as I had hoped, but overall, a great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.