Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee
301 West Juneau Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53203Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ribs.com/
- Phone: (414) 223-3311
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30 - Midnight, Friday & Saturday: 11:30 - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kim Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call 414.223.3311 and ask to speak to a manager.
A word from Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee
A dining institution since 1977, Carson's is the place visited by presidents, America's favorite athletes, stars of TV, the big screen, and literally millions of BBQ devotees. With hearty portions and a no holds barred attitude of offering only the finest quality available, Carson's promises to be a fabulous dining experience. For those seeking the best in an undeniably American dining tradition, Carson’s is a must!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)good for groups (32)romantic (26)hot spot (24)fit for foodies (24)vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (17)notable wine list (12)scenic view (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Not for usNavybarberDined on 11/22/2014We received a gift certificate for our wedding which is what brought us to Carsons. We don't typically go for ribs, or downtown Milwaukee unless we have tickets to a concert for example. The drink I ordered was terrible. I ordered a Southern comfort sour old fashioned with fruit and it was so sour I could barely drink it. Nor was there any flavor at all of Southern Comfort. The waitress added sprite and she said the bartender topped it off with a little more Southern comfort. Not recognizable. The waitress was great by the way. The onion soup was very good, the baked potatoes were huge but fairly tasteless, my husband had cedar plank salmon which he said had the fishy taste of the skin. My ribs were nothing out of the ordinary and so to sum it up it was a VERY EXPENSIVE waste of our time and someone else's money. Oh the coffee was luke warm, the chocolate cake, very ordinary and the Key lime pie with the coconut crust was not tasty at all. Our opinion.Special Features:
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014We used to dine at Carson's when we lived in Chicago. They had really good tender ribs. This visit to the Milwaukee Carson's, our first did not live up to our fond memories. The restaurant and service was excellent but the ribs were extremely tough. The steak was quite good which was an unexpected surprise. In my opinion, ribs not so good, steaks very good. We went there for ribs and won't go back for more however I would go back for a steak.Special Features:
- Love, love, love Carsons... Happy they're here!SWatsonDined on 11/19/2014Have been going to Carsons in Chicago so when I saw that they were coming to Milwaukee.... OMGoodness I was so happy. Great food, good customer service, and great location. Will continue to recommend for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SATISFIEDHOMERBLOWDined on 11/17/2014ME AND MY WIFE HAD A GREAT EXPERIENCE!!! FOR HER BIRTHDAY DINNER. HER "16OZ NEW YORK STRIP STEAK" WAS AWESOME. AND MY "BAR-B-QUE MARRIAGE" WAS DELICIOUS AS WELL AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE "SHRIMP DEJON" I COULD'VE MADE A DOUBLE ORDER OF THAT MY MAIN ENTREE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ribs, steak, chicken !hate2cookVIPDined on 11/16/2014This is great barbecue, don't miss it. Service was outstanding. Great downtown spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steak!NewGirl2MilwDined on 11/13/2014Was nervous for getting the charred steak but it was amazing, as was the side of spinach. Au gratin was ok. Also tried special-ahi Tuna steak, also very good. Waitor Hector was friendly and helpful suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!AnnieDined on 11/8/2014Delicious food, outstanding, quick service. We will definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Nice placetoolkienDined on 11/8/2014The experience at Carson's was very good. To me, very good is three stars, which is where I've rated Carson's. Four stars is exceptional, and five is all world dining. Carson's is a solid three star restaraunt. The food was very good, the tables a little cramped, and the service was good, though the bread for the appetizer tasted off a grocery store shelf. There was a decent wine list at just over double markup, so could have been worse. My filet was very good and cooked to order, and my wife - a ribophile - enjoyed her half-rack order. We did not have dessert so can't comment, though did not appear to be a house specialty or concentration. Overall, a three star place close to the Bradley Center, convenient for the game we went to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh...Skinny129Dined on 11/7/2014Nice atmosphere. Server seemed a bit overwhelmed and had difficulty hearing us as we did him. Had ribs and pork chop. They say their BBQ is not fall-off-the-bone, but tender. I would categorize it as tougher than tender. They say they use hickory wood for smoking, but there was no smoke flavor at all. There wasn't even a smoke ring in the meat. I would have thought it was oven roasted if it hadn't been for the bark on the chop, but that didn't even seem genuine. It seemed like it was applied to the meat and not the delicious byproduct of good BBQ. Still, it was good food. Just not what I would consider BBQ, unless you consider sauce on your meat BBQ. Sides were delicious.
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014We'd highly recommend this restaurant. The food was fantastic, the service impeccable. Our waiter Jack made sure everything was according to our wishes. They are very flexible. We will certainly make this one of our very special places to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BartendersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The bartenders are outstanding! I had the best martinis :) the guys always have a smile on their face. Thank you for the good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014Excellent food and waiter was very, very attentive.Special Features:
- Great Steak Houseeagl3sVIPDined on 10/30/2014If you are interested in great food, Carson's is the place for fabulous steaks!Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceAnonymousDined on 10/26/2014Went here during Fox 6 Days of Dining. The food was good, though a little more on the pricey end. The service was terrible. The waiter was an older gentleman. He didn't introduce himself when he came over, and seemed to be perpetually in a rush, even though the place was not busy. He'd go running off before we were finished ordering, tossing our drinks and our food at us without a word, bringing us to-go boxes about 5 minutes after we started eating, and seeming annoyed in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go again because of MSG.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Bad results when I eat MSG. Must have been in the sauces, seasonings, something. I really liked the service, and ambiance, but can't go back!Special Features:
- Fox6 DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Went here for Fox6 Dining and we would return. Prices were reasonable and food was very good. I had the greek roasted 1/2 chicken and my daughter had the 1/2 barbecue chicken. We both had caeser salad. The salad came with dressing on it but also came with small dish of extra dressing if you wanted more. We didn't need to add any. Overall great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good / Outstanding serviceOnlotofplanesDined on 10/21/2014The food is always good. To me what makes this a great place... Is the waiters... Great knowledge... Great timing...Special Features:
- FantasticCinnamonDined on 10/20/2014We made reservations prior to a concert at the Bradley Center and it was extremely busy. We were seated right away and our server greeted us fairly quickly. He asked if we were going to the concert which was great because he knew we were on a time schedule. I was having a hard time deciding which wine to imbibe and the server offered a great suggestion based on my entree option. I ordered the peppercorn tenderloin ceasar salad and my partner ordered the smoked pork chop along with a double baked potato. The food was AMAZING. My tenderloin medallions were cooked medium to my liking and were tender and flavorful. The pork chop was cooked perfectly as well. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great foodBigdaddyDined on 10/3/2014Food and service was great. Quality of service was excellent. I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningGordlooVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food was wonderful and the service was exceptional!Special Features:
- GonzoDined on 9/26/2014I arrived earlier, told the hostess and waiter that I was waiting for a friend and told them to send him back once he arrived. It turned out he was at the front but was never sent to my table.
- Good foodMGE215Dined on 9/15/2014Friendly staff & very good food. Birthday sundae was great, too! We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!MrsDRNDined on 9/13/2014The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. My husband and I both had steaks and now we can't wait to go back and try the ribs. My only minor complaint, and I mean minor, is that the tables are a little too close together for my liking. But it isn't something that would keep me from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulmactheknifeDined on 9/13/2014This was our 4th visit to Carson's since their Milwaukee opening. As in the past, the food, staff and ambiance was excellant. The noise level rose as Sat. night became later, but was not objectional. Our food was delivered to our table in a tmely manner, hot and delishious. We will definitely come back in the future. Our travel distance was 35 miles.Special Features:
- Superior Service Dining!WilsonVIPDined on 9/11/2014This is a Chicago based company that opened in Milwaukee over a year ago and is very popular. Service can make or break a restaurant - you can have average food to below average but if your service is excellent, no one remembers the food and it's the easiest thing to excuse. Carson's gets the service standard requirement - several visits were simply excellent service. Ribs are their stated speciality but it's really charcrusted steaks that they excel in preparing piping hot juicy tender perfection. This is a restaurant for special occasions and for just fun too. Wish OpenTable availability was more broad other than just for 4pm,6pm,8pm... how about just opening up the reservation system for all times like everyone else does?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLeesaDined on 9/7/2014Loved it. Best bbq I've had in Milwaukee. Great Customer service. Loved our waiter#Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lot of foodfoodieforlifeDined on 9/6/2014the pate was wonderful and the service was outstanding. if you want alot of food, this is the place to go. the prime rib was so big, three people could have indulged and not finish it.Special Features:
- food with no flavormortyDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I went for dinner I had, the marriage, which is a half bbq chicken and half rack of ribs both of which tasted like they were a week old. My wife had a filet mignon that literally had no flavor in the meat the vegetables were over cooked and the Au grated potatoes were also nothing to speak of. Nice atmosphere fair service!
- Come for the foodAnonymousDined on 8/30/2014Filets and other steaks were great. Lots of desirable sides to please. Limited cocktail menu but drinks were all good. The waiter(s) were excellent but there was not enough of them! As a result, service was SLOW and hurried at the same time. On a Saturday night, they should have more waiters!! Booths were too snug for six adults over age 50! Very busy therefore not a place to do business or have important conversations. Come for the great food and food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as always could be greatJerryj2VIPDined on 8/27/2014Value priced food and wine - good service - need to learn that it's the little things that could make this place great such as offering to fill empty wine glassesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtown spothate2cookVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food with very good service. Love the steak..........fish was a excellent surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Everything about our experience was top notch. The food was fantastic as were the drinks although rather pricey. Our dinner was made even better by our server Dave, who made sure everything was to our liking. He also made great suggestions (like splitting the salad and having the greatest corn bread we've ever tasted. We will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Great for AnniversaryWisclifeDined on 8/12/2014Celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary using our Groupon. Hector was the most amazing, entertainer waiter, made for a fun dinner. He explained how to use our Groupon to get the best meal. They have a weekday special that would offer a similar deal. The food was delicious, have to try the corn bread, nice presentation, portions were large. Overall a nice way to celebrate.Special Features:
- Great mealFredVIPDined on 8/12/2014And there is always leftovers which taste just as good the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experiencepaclman358Dined on 8/4/2014The food was fantastic, service is exceptional, the experience was top notch and I recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!enjoylifeDined on 8/2/2014Our group of four had an amazing dinner. Though this Carson's is smaller than the Chicago locations, the interior design is contemporary and inviting, with large booths that easily accommodate six people. We had a delicious dinner that met and exceeded our expectations of the Carson's reputation. The service was impeccable and timed perfectly, attentive to our needs but not feeling rushed. The ribs and char chops were delicious with huge portions that almost guarantee leftovers - almost! The Mediterranean shrimp was a beautiful presentation of tender shrimp over grilled vegetables. We all loved the chopped liver and cheese served with the bread, too. Such a Carson's classic tradition! We can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedJosephFDined on 8/1/20146 top of first timers on a Fri night: we arrived on-time and we taken to our table directly by a personable and energetic hostess. We were lucky enough to be in a side room which was impressive and one of our 2 waiters was with us directly to start talking about drinks. The second waiter arrived shortly and there seemed to be a miscue between them. The service overall was fine though the second waiter was a cold and robotic. The food is where the real disappointment came: We all had bbq from ribs to brisket to pulled pork and no one was impressed. Nothing was bad, do not misunderstand, but not the "blown away" even "impressive" that we expected. I hate judging a place on one visit, I'd give it another try but with much lower expectations.
- great ribsziggyDined on 7/31/2014The waiter suggested a half slab cut up for an app. and we are so happy he did. We will be back for full slabsSpecial Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee reviews archive.
- Great New RestaurantAddiedieDined on 7/30/2014We went there because of a Groupon Coupon - a special steak dinner for 2, including a cocktail, choice of side, either a filet or NY Strip, and a salad. The service was superb, and the portions were very large. We would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Carson's was Excellent!MKERDCDined on 7/26/2014What a pleasant surprise to find such a great spot. Upscale and trendy, with the great Milwaukee service that you get at your local favorite spot. Great food, service and room. Both the ribs and the seafood (shrimp app and salmon) were excellent and the Key-lime pie was the perfect compliment!Special Features: