Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee
301 West Juneau Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53203Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ribs.com/
- Phone: 4142233311x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30 - Midnight, Friday & Saturday: 11:30 - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kim Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call 414.223.3311 and ask to speak to a manager.
A word from Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee
A dining institution since 1977, Carson's is the place visited by presidents, America's favorite athletes, stars of TV, the big screen, and literally millions of BBQ devotees. With hearty portions and a no holds barred attitude of offering only the finest quality available, Carson's promises to be a fabulous dining experience. For those seeking the best in an undeniably American dining tradition, Carson’s is a must!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Milwaukee reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)fit for foodies (40)great for lunch (33)hot spot (33)romantic (30)good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (29)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (16)late-night find (12)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Come for the foodAnonymousDined on 8/30/2014Filets and other steaks were great. Lots of desirable sides to please. Limited cocktail menu but drinks were all good. The waiter(s) were excellent but there was not enough of them! As a result, service was SLOW and hurried at the same time. On a Saturday night, they should have more waiters!! Booths were too snug for six adults over age 50! Very busy therefore not a place to do business or have important conversations. Come for the great food and food choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtown spothate2cookVIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food with very good service. Love the steak..........fish was a excellent surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014Everything about our experience was top notch. The food was fantastic as were the drinks although rather pricey. Our dinner was made even better by our server Dave, who made sure everything was to our liking. He also made great suggestions (like splitting the salad and having the greatest corn bread we've ever tasted. We will certainly be back!Special Features:
- Great for AnniversaryWisclifeDined on 8/12/2014Celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary using our Groupon. Hector was the most amazing, entertainer waiter, made for a fun dinner. He explained how to use our Groupon to get the best meal. They have a weekday special that would offer a similar deal. The food was delicious, have to try the corn bread, nice presentation, portions were large. Overall a nice way to celebrate.Special Features:
- Great mealFredVIPDined on 8/12/2014And there is always leftovers which taste just as good the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experiencepaclman358Dined on 8/4/2014The food was fantastic, service is exceptional, the experience was top notch and I recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!enjoylifeDined on 8/2/2014Our group of four had an amazing dinner. Though this Carson's is smaller than the Chicago locations, the interior design is contemporary and inviting, with large booths that easily accommodate six people. We had a delicious dinner that met and exceeded our expectations of the Carson's reputation. The service was impeccable and timed perfectly, attentive to our needs but not feeling rushed. The ribs and char chops were delicious with huge portions that almost guarantee leftovers - almost! The Mediterranean shrimp was a beautiful presentation of tender shrimp over grilled vegetables. We all loved the chopped liver and cheese served with the bread, too. Such a Carson's classic tradition! We can't wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedJosephFDined on 8/1/20146 top of first timers on a Fri night: we arrived on-time and we taken to our table directly by a personable and energetic hostess. We were lucky enough to be in a side room which was impressive and one of our 2 waiters was with us directly to start talking about drinks. The second waiter arrived shortly and there seemed to be a miscue between them. The service overall was fine though the second waiter was a cold and robotic. The food is where the real disappointment came: We all had bbq from ribs to brisket to pulled pork and no one was impressed. Nothing was bad, do not misunderstand, but not the "blown away" even "impressive" that we expected. I hate judging a place on one visit, I'd give it another try but with much lower expectations.
- great ribsziggyDined on 7/31/2014The waiter suggested a half slab cut up for an app. and we are so happy he did. We will be back for full slabsSpecial Features:
- Great New RestaurantAddiedieDined on 7/30/2014We went there because of a Groupon Coupon - a special steak dinner for 2, including a cocktail, choice of side, either a filet or NY Strip, and a salad. The service was superb, and the portions were very large. We would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Carson's was Excellent!MKERDCDined on 7/26/2014What a pleasant surprise to find such a great spot. Upscale and trendy, with the great Milwaukee service that you get at your local favorite spot. Great food, service and room. Both the ribs and the seafood (shrimp app and salmon) were excellent and the Key-lime pie was the perfect compliment!Special Features:
- Good Food, Generous PortionsShanieVIPDined on 7/24/2014I dined at Carson's for a birthday celebration. I ordered that Thursday prefix special that included a very generous glass of wine, a salad that could have easily served four, half a bbq chicken, and a choice of potato or vegetable for only $23. The food was flavorful and satisfying. If you choose to order your dishes ala carte, know that the sides can easily be shared. The others in my party ordered the baby back ribs, salmon, and baked chicken. All were cooked to perfection. The atmosphere was classy and quaint. I can't wait to take my friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRon1947Dined on 7/22/2014We didn't find that the food (ribs and steak) was that extraodinary. The noise level was deafening even though it wasn't full. We had a dispute over the Groupon we had purchased with the restaurant imposing restrictions that had not been advertised by Groupon. However, our waitress did find ways to make sure we got the value of the coupon.Special Features:
- Tailor made mealsfloydsterDined on 7/22/2014You can order a 1/2 rack of ribs, which is plenty, and share the generously portioned side dishes for a filling meal at a fair price. I'm anxious to try the steaks next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak dinnerDawnieDined on 7/19/2014Went because we had groupon. Nothing special. Steak was good. Twice baked potato was so so...very dry. The garden salads were good. The ambiance was not there. Also the booths were not comfortable at all (and torn). I also made reservations using open table. Only a 4:00 reservation was available which we took. However the place never was busy. Very disappointed that we had to eat that early. Would not recommend if no coupon....very pricey
- Poor mealCraigVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was poor. My ribs were dry. Wine was served too cold and the waiter argued with us about the temperature. Generally the service was also poor. As an example, when we asked for a dessert menu, the waiter brought one menu for four of us to share. Hostess never checked us in and open table sent us an email asking why we did not honor our reservation. The menu identified a fish of the day but when we inquired about it, were told there was no fish of the day. Too many good restaurants out there to waste your time and money at this place.
- Great Steak Houseeagl3sVIPDined on 7/2/2014We went early (4:00pm) so it was quiet. Only booths, no tables. Booth seats were either too low or tables too high---at least for short people! Food was terrific and David, our waiter knew his stuff and made great recommendations. Steak was delicious and tender...but TOO much to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceFredVIPDined on 6/28/2014We brought my father-in-law and his wife for a special treat. They loved the ambience and menu. The garbage salad is a favorite of my wife's and quite filling. I think my favorite is the bone in pork chop, about an inch thick, crusted. It is so moist and flavorful. The wait staff (and valet) is always so friendly and welcoming. I just don't like the lack of reservation options of 6 or 8 PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my fav!bootybooDined on 6/26/2014always love coming to this restaurant, always a good experience!Special Features:
- Fall off the bone ribsRibLoverDined on 6/26/2014The service was excellent! I love seeing the diversity of the Staab as well as the food. I got a half order of baby back ribs. Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charred chop!duddyDined on 6/22/2014We always get Jack as our server which is great because he's a nice guy, really enhances our experience every time. Best pork chop I've ever had, I don't think I'll ever get anything else while in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time, great food .feedmeDined on 6/22/2014My wife and I really enjoyed Carson. The steak was delicious and my wife really loved the sauteed jumbo shrimp deJonghe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPewaukeekid1VIPDined on 6/21/2014The twin filets charred were perfect my wife loved the Ribs. Sides huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014For a prime barbeque rib place, I was not impressed. The ribs did not live up to expectation, and pricey for dinner, lunch would have been a better choice. However, the waitstaff was wonderful, prompt and courteous.Special Features:
- IMPECCABLE SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Our server Frank was AMAZING. We will definitely be back again and will be asking for Frank!Special Features:
- AnonymousDined on 6/18/2014Our first visit, a Wednesday 6:00 reservation. Restaurant was not busy but filled by 7:00. Waiter was very efficient, but hurried, this may not be the place to linger over a nice dinner! The char crusted filets were outstanding! The rack of ribs were good, but a little over done for my taste. I read reviewers who felt that ribs were underdone. Barbecue sauce was fair. We enjoyed the grilled asparagus. The complimentary appetizer of marble bread and liver pate was nice. I would definitely go back, especially for the filet!!!Special Features:
- Hit the spotilovelivelaughfoodDined on 6/17/2014We all wanted to try something new and go somewhere where they sold really good food and had a classy feel yet not overpowering & Carson's was that place. The food was delicious. They had a small mistake on my order but fixed it immediately it was all soooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningFredVIPDined on 6/16/2014Great food, well prepared, plenty of it, and reasonably priced. The service is always excellent, both friendly and efficient. Valet parking at $7 is a bit more expensive than other downtown places. The one draw back is the two seating times for reservations: either 6pm (too early to get there in time) or 8pm (then go home to bed on a full stomach?). I can understand these times if there is a basketball game around the corner. We have been coming here less because of the inability to make a 6:30 or 7pm reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dudeDined on 6/15/2014Having a table near the bar was nice for the action but was way loud. We had to shout at each other to be heard. Need acoustics in the ceiling in the bar area. Food was good, steak was excellent and prepared great, Ribs had great smoky taste but were not near falling off the bone as mentioned in the menu.Special Features:
- Great food, but out of menu itemsmssnappyDined on 6/15/2014I've been here several times, and thought my dad would like coming here for Father's day. Plus, they cater to allergies. It's a good thing that they weren't out of what we ordered because it sounds like they were out of a lot of menu items at 6pm on Father's day. Really? Granted, they are new to Milwaukee, so I guess lesson learned. Stock your kitchen on holiday days/nights.Special Features:
- Great tasting barbecueTable42Dined on 6/14/2014This was our first time dining at Carson's. Their barbecue sauce tastes great which makes up for NOT fall-off-the-bone meat. It clearly states on the menu that the meat does not fall off the bone. I'll visit them again to try the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/14/2014The food was amazing, the corn bread excellent. The ribs, chicken and pork chop were excellent. It seemed we came in at the start/end of a shift and ended up have 3 people stop by our table, that was a bit confusing. They didn't take the full price of our groupon either which was a bit of a disappointment. But the food was so good that we didn't really complain. We do plan on going back.Special Features:
- Very Goodcls68Dined on 6/13/2014My family celebrated my sons graduation and we decided to try this restaurant for the first time. Food was very good! Service was excellent and friendly. The pricing was a bit high, but that was to be expected at a downtown restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DonWayneDined on 6/12/20142nd time dining at Carson's. Famous for BBQ -not. Baked chicken with bbq sauce. I can do that at home.Special Features:
- Loved the Charred Chop!TotdelishDined on 6/11/2014We took our 17 year old son for a special end of the school year dinner. We had a great time, service was great, food was yummy, we will go back for sure. The Charred chop was delish!Special Features:
- Nice for the PricetravelerDined on 6/11/2014Excellent Charred Chop. Ribs were okay. No scrimping on the food just because it was Downtown Dining. I would do it again.Special Features:
- meh..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/11/2014My husband and I went to Downtown Dining. It was such a great environment and looks oh so fancy but it was a very casual feel from other guests and servers. The food was nothing to talk about. It was just ok. The wine was tasty. My husband had the rack of ribs and I had the charred pork chop. We have had much better bbq at an old supper club. We won't go back.
- bootyboobootybooDined on 6/10/2014one of the better restaurants in milwaukee for steaks and ribs, absolutely delicious just completed my fifth trip(repeat customer) wait staff is awesome!Special Features:
- Great FoodAgoodmeal2014Dined on 6/10/2014The food was really delicious and tasty and they give you plenty. Especially the corn bread for the appetizer, it was the best, I had the pulled pork it was flavorful and my guest had the baby back ribs she said they were good, but a little over cooked, she liked the sauce. The Twice baked potato is a must have, OMG, great, I could only eat 1/2, its a big portion. Overall the food was good and service was great, I loved the modern, elegant look of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2014Very a good food good place great service I would come back and tell my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.