Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Deerfield
200 N Waukegan Rd
Deerfield, IL 60015Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Deerfield
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ribs.com/
- Phone: (847) 374-8500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kim Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available through our carry out store. We can package food hot and ready to serve in large trays so you can serve your guests buffet style.
A word from Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Deerfield
A Chicago institution since 1977, Carson's is the place visited by presidents, America's favorite athletes, stars of TV, the big screen, and literally millions of BBQ devotees. With hearty portions and a no holds barred attitude of offering only the finest quality available, Carson's promises to be a fabulous dining experience. For those seeking the best in an undeniably American dining tradition, Carson’s is a must!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Deerfield - Best Restaurants in Deerfield ›
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Deerfield reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (9)fit for foodies (8)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful!carsonsDined on 11/22/2014As good or better than I remember from 20 years ago. Don't miss out! We had the ribs au gratin potatoes, the wedge (two of us split one order of that salad) and someone else had the pork chops. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carsons has lost itHawkDined on 11/12/2014I've been going to Carsons for over 40 years .I.think.I've made my last visit. It's sad that at one time for.many years carsons was.THE place for ribs. Well this.time and the last 3 times it's Even in the top 50 in the city. The prices are through the roof. Quality and all around rib is.down to zero. Just telling like.it is. I'm sorry for the.truth it hurts.because at one Carsons was the king of ribs not anymore.
- Best rib eye steak.Cvs619VIPDined on 11/8/2014The seasoned char coating on the steak is a must. I'll be back next time I'm in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for young (picky) kidsdinesalotDined on 11/2/2014While overall the adults enjoyed their meals, our evening was colored by a surprisingly disappointing kids' menu and a meltdown by my 7 year old. Their kids' menu pretty much consists of smaller portions of adult food (BBQ chicken, ribs, kabobs, grilled chicken sandwich, etc). There was a hamburger or grilled cheese, but no chicken fingers, pasta, mac and cheese, hot dogs. I strongly suggest adding one of these items to the menu. Throwing some breaded chicken strips into the fryer takes very little effort and would go a long way. I realize this was partly my fault for not calling ahead to ask, but all the comparable LEYE restaurants around offer a wide variety of kid-friendly food, so it didn't occur to me that this would be an issue.
- Food was OK, service was SUBPAROpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Was there for a 50th wedding anniversary. We told waiter at least twice (and online through opentable) and it was not recognized at all by the restaurant. The reservation was ready for us when we got there. It took about 20 minutes for the waiter to come by, and actually get our order. We did not get any bread until we asked (which usually you don't have to ask). His response was "oh, it's in the oven", which was about 25 mins after we placed our order. When we got the food, it was almost as if we were rushed to eat our food. They were taking plates, when we haven't even finished our meals. No refills were asked for wine, or water. Just an overall lackluster of service, and not a great experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's as good as I rememberedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We have been gone from the area nearly 20 years ago and decided to meet friends for dinner. The food was as good as ever!!Special Features:
- Outstanding!StevePVIPDined on 10/4/2014Great food and super service on a very busy night.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerNMR6Dined on 9/19/2014We hosted a birthday dinner for my husband here and it was great. The hostess seated us right away, the service was excellent and the food was very good. Great drinks (try the sidecar) and excellent appetizers & sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyplace is entitled to a miss...chibuilderDined on 9/1/2014We typically love this place and have been many times but this time, our group of 7 all felt the same....a miss The service was just ok. We had to ask for simple things over and over (olives for the martini, handi-wipes after eating the ribs, potato substitutes, etc.) and the ribs were just "ok" Typically we all love the ribs here but on the evening of our visit this past labor day, something was "off." The ribs were less smokey, much more chewy (as in fatty) and the flavor was way more sweet than in the past. Everyone is entitled to a bad night so we will chalk it up to that but considering the prices charged at Carson's, we expected better as the combination of the absent-minded server and the off-par food was a bit of a bummer.Special Features:
- Love the ribsluv2eatDined on 8/26/2014We had wonderful service and delicious ribs! I came early just to eat the chopped liver.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendPriceyDined on 8/16/2014Eight of us thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Carson's. Great food and wait staff attentive to our needs. We drove 21 miles to eat there. We enjoyed the ribs, pork chop, steak and chicken entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- villaggioDined on 8/6/2014without a doubt, the best ribs around. They are always meaty and do not fall off the bone. The sauce is also fantastic. They are happy to split salads and entrees in the kitchen. Don't miss the chopped liver while you are waiting or take a plate to your table.Special Features:
- Tasty ribs!ErloVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great ribs, cole slaw is excellent. Consistently tasty. Prefer their ribs over anyone else's in the Chicago area.
- The following 91 reviews are from the Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Deerfield reviews archive.
- one word deliciousBigPDined on 7/27/2014Have not been to Carson in 20 years. It was outstanding! Waiter was topnotch food was piping hot. The memories off all the dinners in the past at Carson. The meal was 10 stars plus. I enjoyed my birthday even more with family and a wonderful dinner. First time in a long time all 7 dinners delicious and nothing was missing. We will not wait 20 years to go back. We use to live in Chicago now we are in Lake Villa it was so worth the short drive! YUM :)Special Features:
- Not nice appitzer but great dinneroutoftownerbirthdayDined on 7/5/2014We took my husband here for his 40th birthday. The service was excellent. We did not get our bang for the appetizer. We paid $12.94 for a shrimp appitizer and only received 4 shrimp. But overall, the service was great and we enjoyed our entree's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just don't careAimhigher13VIPDined on 6/29/2014If you are up for a staff full of people that just don't care then ce here. They are not interested in the customers or how bad the food may be. This place has seen it's day.
- Quantity of foodfooffDined on 6/15/2014First we ordered cornbread. Server comes back to say they just ran out but will be able to make more. Then My daughter ordered BBQ chicken. He comes back to say they just ran out but they had Greek chicken instead. Then I order salt and peppered baked potato and he brings a regular baked potato. I tell him I ordered th Salty one and he says they just ran out. Really. On busy Father's Day when they know it'll be busy.Special Features:
- Always Accomodatingjmsg8girlVIPDined on 6/14/2014It was a strange night. We were in from out of town and thought we had made plans with friends....but somehow all the dates got mixed up. Ended up only being 3 of us when we had reserved for 6, but Carsons staff didn't hassle us about being at a larger table than we needed. The food, as always, was great. Our go to place when we're in Chicago. Just wish we could be eat there more often!
- Still the best tasting ribs!2foodiesVIPDined on 6/14/2014We hadn't been to Carson's Ribs for ten or more years, but decided to go there for a Father's Day dinner. We were pleasantly surprised. Everything we ordered was delicious -- even the salmon. We are not going to wait ten years to return. Congratulations Carson's for keeping up high standards of food quality throughout the years!Special Features:
- A Happy Birthday DinnerSetTheTableDined on 4/19/2014We had six people for a birthday dinner. Four of us were observing Passover dietary restrictions. All of us had plenty of food choices, including Matzah, and all the food was delicious especially the barbecued chicken, ribs and steak. Even the salads and coleslaw were great. Our 7:00 reservation was honored right on time and the service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone Was SatisfiedHighlandParkBrianDined on 3/13/2014Our family had a wonderful outing at Carson's. Six of us ordered steaks, Seafood and the yummy charred pork chops (their specialty). Prices are on par with the surrounding steak joints - but the service and friendliness of the entire staff was significantly better than their peers. We were seated immediately - and never felt rushed............a first for the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wunderbar!GypsyDDined on 2/22/2014The table was set and ready for seating when we arrived. We've eaten here previously, but don't always order the same items each time.Our server was not fazed; she waited patiently for our drink orders and our dinner requests. The kitchen was up to the task of preparing our food without rushing us. Would we go back? Definitely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/19/2014Food was great service was fair, they should change the burned out light bulbs. We ate in total darkness.Special Features:
- Great night with good friendshappyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Dinner was excellent. Everyone loved their food. Large portions. Great restaurant and evening to celebrate Valentines day....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- over ratedjcbhDined on 2/11/2014Every dish was dry and not a lot of flavor. We had scalloped potatoes, double baked potatoes (returned), broccoli, ribs and pork chops. The ribs were skinny and dry without much taste. Disappointing. Bread was good. Desert was fine. Hard to mess up ice cream.
- Consistently excellent Barbeque,BlueDukeVIPDined on 12/23/2013Consistently excellent Barbeque, ribs, chicken, pork chops. Delicious au gratin potatoes. Pleasant casual atmosphere. Sports on TV (without sound) if you want it. Long standing tradition. Very consistent. A fine family experience or, if preferred, an adult dining opportunity. I rate it an A!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wait wait waitOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/21/2013Arrived at our reservation time but had to wait 30 mins. for our table. Then seated and had to wait 10 mins. before server approached. Bad experience, good ribs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond disapointedSuzyVIPDined on 12/21/2013Not enough worts to describe our horrific experience at Carsons . While celebrating our sons birthday the service could not have been worse .waiter, bus boys and management were all to blame . Don't want to discuss it further if Carsons does not improve they will go out of business north shore people which I am notwill no longer stay loyal on name alone . What a waste of a lot of money .
- Dinner visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2013BBQ chicken was lukewarm and not cooked well done as requested. To me, charring it for a few seconds more on the outside doesn't make it "well done." Wife's birthday was mentioned when reservation was made, but no recognition of this by staff. Maybe that's the fault of the hostess.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always enjoy eating here.PinkyVIPDined on 11/16/2013We always enjoy eating here. They honor reservations and their food is very good, especially ribs. We definitely will return in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONNORTHWOODS25Dined on 10/19/2013WE'RE FROM OUT OF TOWN AND MADE THE RESERVATON ON-LINE. WE WERE GREETED WITH GREAT ENTHUSIASM AND SEATED IMMEDIATELY AT OUR TABLE EVEN THOUGH THE ENTIRE PARTY WAS NOT THERE. WAIT STAFF WAS VERY FRIENDLY AND ACCOMADATING. THE FOOD,AS USUAL, WAS EXCELLENT. WE HAD A CELELBRATION CAKE FROM OUTSIDE AND WERE PROVIDED PLATES FOR SERVING. WE WERE NOT RUSHED OR HURRIED OUT THE DOOR AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RibsFrankDined on 10/4/2013The ribs and sauce are exceptional. Potatoes augratin are out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we enjoyed it , food was deliciuoussuzieDined on 9/2/2013we enjoyed it , food was deliciuous, the waiter was attentive and we were not rushed.Special Features:
- Brilliance during adversityjmsg8girlVIPDined on 8/12/2013There was a problem with the water in Deerfield the night we were there, but the staff handled it brilliantly. And the food was amazing as usual. This was our second trip to Carson's this week....we have to get our fill while we're in Chicago and this is a favorite with friends and family. Ribs are great, pork chops (huge!) and amazing. And can't get enough of the au gratin potatoes and cole-slaw.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ribs!jmsg8girlVIPDined on 8/11/2013This is our go to place when we're in Chicago - usually eat here multiple times on one trip. Great ribs, great au-gratin potatoes and coleslaw! The staff is friendly, service is great and they even give you free crackers and cheese if you have to wait. And, if you have to wait....the food is worth it. Never a bad meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Chicago's best ribsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2013A few days ago, our friends and us decided to take our kids to Carson's and to get together as couples. Each adult was excited that it was Carson's. Three of my four children have food allergies, dairy, egg, nut, and Celiac with the other. The waitress made sure to get us all of the answers needed. All was great, the kids were happy and our ribs and cole slaw were AMAZING. Its as if I forget each time what a GEM Carson's is. I was a little less than enthused about the reservation process. Perhaps I caught an employee on a bad day and the service was slow. Too slow with 5 children between the two families. BUT, it is worth the wait. The potatoes, several kinds, the veggies, so fresh, and the main courses you cannot beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business MeetingStuartVIPDined on 5/7/2013Nice for business meetings at lunch. Our server was great. Perfect! Food is always good.Special Features:
- A Fair ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/5/2013Somewhat disappointing dinner there with the family. Initially, service was inadequate with the waiter failing to bring fresh ground pepper for the salads, and the one of the steaks being overcooked. Service improved dramatically later on. The ribs were not as meaty and tasty as they've been in the past. The Shrimp de jonghe could have been prepared in a sauce, whereas here there was a covering of bread crumbs. The Salmon in a ginger glaze was very tasty, light and well cooked, although the portion was small. Salads were large and very filling. Do not order the key lime pie, as the filling is very artificial and the crust was not very good. We've had much better meals in the past at Carson's and I hope this is just an aberration.Special Features:
- We had a group of 9. We allOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013We had a group of 9. We all enjoyed our dinner and our time together. Love the round table so everyone can see/hear everyone.
- Good food, good service.NMRosadoDined on 3/9/2013Excellent service from the hostess. Our table wasn't ready when we got there, so the waitress bought my party of 6 a round of drinks - for our 5 minute wait! There were appetizers for people waiting for tables and the staff was kind and courteous, though a bit slow. The food was generous and excellent. We will be back for sure!Special Features: