Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago
612 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ribs.com/
- Phone: 3122809200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kim Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available through our carry out store. We can package food hot and ready to serve in large trays so you can serve your guests buffet style.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room holds groups of 20 to 50. A variety of dinner package are available
A word from Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago
A Chicago institution since 1977, Carson's is the place visited by presidents, America's favorite athletes, stars of TV, the big screen, and literally millions of BBQ devotees. With hearty portions and a no holds barred attitude of offering only the finest quality available, Carson's promises to be a fabulous dining experience. For those seeking the best in an undeniably American dining tradition, Carson’s is a must!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (55)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (38)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (27)kid-friendly (21)romantic (19)great for outdoor dining (16)hot spot (10)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Food Good, Service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Ribs were great, atmosphere was nice. Appetizer, under cooked and service very below standard. Not attentive and seemed really bothered and unhappy. No bread or bagel chips served, unless that's been discontinued. Had to request wine list 2x's and paid for item that were sent back without acknowledgment. Poor greeting and no exit goodbye from server or at the front hostess/greeting area. Not sure if I will return.Special Features:
- Great nightLuvribsDined on 8/23/2014This was our first trip to Chicago. Carson's was recommended as a place to go for dinner. It did not disappoint. If we ever make back to Chicago we will definitely be visiting Carson's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome 5 starsJose28Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great. The server was awesome and amazing. Love the food the last time I eat at Carson's was when I was 15 I'm now 28 that was 13 years ago and when I was there my mouth was watering and I just could not wait to eat the rib tips and fries with the awesome BBQ sauce just like when I was a kid at the location in chicago on Clark and Peterson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealFoodieDined on 8/22/2014We arrives early for our reservation but were seated promptly. Our server was efficient, took our order right away. The quality of the ribs was excellent however I prefer a spicier sauce. This is a sweet BBQ. The coleslaw was delicious. I opted for fries but wish I had gotten the au gratin potatoes. Overall it was delicious and had plenty to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time diners!Tarheel98Dined on 8/22/2014We arrived early for our reservation and were taken to our table immediately, which was nice. We had the bone in prime rib and half slab ribs barbque/pork chops combos. Service was friendly and the food was delicious, my wife and I both really enjoyed our meal and went home with full bellies to fall asleep in food comas! We'll be back!Special Features:
- MistacoconutDined on 8/22/2014We came to Chicago for the day from Michigan and have dined at Carson's before. Our reservation was for 7 pm but they seated us without question early and put us in a cozy booth. Our dinner was so good we kept talking about how delicious everything tasted and we had plenty to take home for highly anticipated leftovers. The restaurant was a little noisy due to a large group that came in after us but we didn't care once the food was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014always delicious...started with the chicken liver pate-awesome!!!then the ribs & augratin potatoes. could eat here every night!!!!Special Features:
- Carsons let me down.ronnVIPDined on 8/15/2014The famous ribs were not very good. The meat was not 'falling off the bone' AND THE sauce was too sweet. The coleslaw was very tasty and the service was great.
- Excellent Service and Bar Serviceexcellent2dineatVIPDined on 8/10/2014The service was excellent, the food came out cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich1Dined on 8/6/2014Great ribs corn bread was delicious, will try the prime rib on my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meatfest!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014We have been going for over 25 years! GREAT place for a meatfest!Special Features:
- Old time favoriteMsAndreaDined on 7/25/2014It had been a long time since I had been here so I wanted to come back. My sweetie had never been here so I thought it would be good to bring him. He liked it; wasn't too thrilled with the drinks but other than that everything was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitCarsonsRibsLuvChicagoDined on 7/23/2014Incredible food and service! The reservation was prompt and the atmosphere was perfect for children.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great PleasureEccentricManDined on 7/23/2014I took several good friends to supper at Carson's and we had a wonderful time. Great service, comfortable setting and...great ribs!! A perfect place for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Always Looked Forward Tosheehy1125Dined on 7/22/2014Carson's never changes, which is to say it is consistently excellent. Whenever we go to Chicago, we plan on visiting Carson's.Special Features:
- 10th Birthday mealFoodie912Dined on 7/22/2014We took my oldest son for ribs and had a great meal. Kids meals are a great deal for the under 12 crowd. They brought him a sundae with a candle at the end- a nice surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!booboo13Dined on 7/19/2014I took some people from England there on Sat nite. The food was amazing+they loved it. Real hometown food+delicious. Our Waitress-JOJO was the best!!! We had leftovers+they were so happy to eat the next day for dinner.. Would definately go again+reccomend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good casual diningGrubOKDined on 7/12/2014My salmon Caesar was fairly good, service was fairly good as well, ambience was acceptable, & I'd probably go back. My friends had ribs & chicken which they characterized as "great."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RolandDined on 7/11/2014Steaks are outstanding and salad dressings are great. our service was wonderful we had a very relaxing and enjoyable time. we would defiantly return and recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still good food!lovetoeatDined on 7/10/2014We were nervous after reading recent reviews, but my husband wanted to go back to one of his favorites. We were pleasantly surprised. The ribs are just as he remembers them. They are not fall off the bone, but it says they won't be right on the menu. He had a full slab and I had 1/2 slab - and it was plenty of food for both of us. We both thought the ribs were delicious and were happy we still went. Our server was also attentive. We had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant for BBQ loverTakechanman1Dined on 7/9/2014When we arrived the restaurant on time. And we are immediately assigned to the good table. It is pretty quickly your will get order from server. We order pretty simple their best offered menu BBQ rib with side dish. Their BBQ sauce is excellent and half slab is good enough size for adult. But if you are really hungry you should order full slab, you will be absolutely satisfied!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SallyVIPDined on 7/7/2014Our server, Jeff, was fantastic. He made great recommendations, everything was served exactly as ordered and he was friendly, personable and a lot of fun. My husband and I had a great evening and really enjoyed our "date night".
- Nothing SpecialJoeDeeDined on 7/5/2014My husband used to do a lot of business in Chicago and frequently entertained at Carson's. He had often spoken highly of the food there and our family was anxious to try it, based on his earlier experiences. Wow. Were we disappointed. They note that they do not make their ribs "fall off the bone", but they still shouldn't be dry and tough! Nothing special about the sauce to make up for it and our sides were so dull that I don't even remember what we had. With all the great dining venues in Chicago, we won't make this mistake again.
- dinerDined on 7/5/2014Great comfort food; large portions, definitely good bar-b-q! Everyone enjoyed; we ate outside; nothing to really look at but it was nice to dine outside; seemed rather dark inside. Waiter was great! (Alex)Special Features:
- very poor service and junk foodpaekDined on 7/4/2014Very un-kind server and junk foood...we will never go this restaurant and never recommend.. ......mm..m...m....m.mmm........Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/4/2014Service was awful. Seemed like the staff hated working there. What a waste of time and money and it ruined a beautiful night.
- Yum, yum!DiscerningDinerDined on 7/4/2014The ribs are divine, and the cole slaw is so delicious you can't stop eating it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Our go to place for ribs, but never knew how wonderful the steaks were. If you can eat outside, ahSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to your ribsChefCJDined on 7/2/2014Love Carson's ribs! Enjoyed the cornbread and potatoes au gratin as well. Usually packed, but not this time due to the holiday.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as I hopedFoodie86Dined on 6/28/2014My husband and I both grew up on the NW side of the city near the carsons that used to be on harlem ave. That location closed many years ago. When we discovered that there was a location down town, we had to try it. Sadly, the food was barely mediocre and the service from Deanthony was atrocious. Very disappointing. If you're looking for a throwback skip this place. Bummer.
- Good foodNiteoutDined on 6/27/2014I enjoyed eating here as the food specifically their barbecue is just great and always goodSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014A timeless restaurant with great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much value heredaveDined on 6/22/2014Not much meat on these ribs!! Sides and salads were ok, but better values for BBQ elsewhere.Special Features:
- Good RibsLMSarbachVIPDined on 6/21/2014Felt rushed by the wait staff but the food was very good! Drinks were skimpy...Special Features:
- Great RibsgloryDined on 6/19/2014One of the best places I have ever been to for ribs. We first came here over 35 years ago just for the ribs and they are still great.Special Features:
- Good...not great.yoandccVIPDined on 6/15/2014My mom enjoys the ribs so for her it was good. Me, not so much; the menu for Father's Day was lacking choices. The service was okay, but I'm not sure I would return.Special Features:
- Best place for ribs in ChicagoMarshmellowDined on 6/14/2014We have been going to Carson's for many years, but haven't been there for awhile since we live forty miles away. The ribs were cooked perfectly and unlike one of their competitors, you have to chew the meat off of the bone. The au gratin potatoes were delicious . We were not disappointed in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicejeannipVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food is very good, but service is awful. Seemed neither the waitress nor the waiter wanted us. Came here for 34th wedding anniversary and Carson's made no acknowledgement, although it was in our reservation. We don't need a cupcake with a candle, but a single "Happy Anniversary" would have been nice.
- Great food!ClarenceandVernitaDined on 6/6/2014Our first visit to Carson's was so very good. That barbecue sauce is addictive, and the side dishes were awesome. Our waiter, Alex, was very attentive, and patient with all of our questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6/6/2014DanoverVIPDined on 6/6/2014A great lunch with a colleague who had seen Carsons but never experienced Carsons. All were pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.