Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago
612 N Wells St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ribs.com/
- Phone: (312) 280-9200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Kim Baldwin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available through our carry out store. We can package food hot and ready to serve in large trays so you can serve your guests buffet style.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room holds groups of 20 to 50. A variety of dinner package are available
A word from Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago
A Chicago institution since 1977, Carson's is the place visited by presidents, America's favorite athletes, stars of TV, the big screen, and literally millions of BBQ devotees. With hearty portions and a no holds barred attitude of offering only the finest quality available, Carson's promises to be a fabulous dining experience. For those seeking the best in an undeniably American dining tradition, Carson’s is a must!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Carson's Prime Steaks & Famous Barbecue - Chicago reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (47)neighborhood gem (41)special occasion (34)fit for foodies (30)great for lunch (18)kid-friendly (15)romantic (14)late-night find (10)notable wine list (6)hot spot (6)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Old School Wonderful!mommallamaVIPDined on 11/17/2014My family is so grateful that this long-time Chicago treasure has endured. Food is just wonderful, and the menu hasn't changed since the 70s. Carson's consistently provides terrific food, comfortable ambience, great bar selection and attentive service. Long may you reign!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ pork chopChefDined on 11/8/2014Unbelievably moist chop! My 2 and 6 year old girls loved there simple yet great creamy garlic tossed salad! That ate all there food then set there eyes on my pork chop, of course I shared! WowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic's still got it.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014We hadn't been to Carson's for about 20 years and wondered if the food was as good as we remembered. It certainly was. Don't be turned off by all the tourists; this place is still a Chicago classic and merits a place on your bucket list.Special Features:
- You must go.Magnum1Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I have been several times. The service is always good and the food is excellent. The staff is extremely attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewAnnydinnerDined on 11/4/2014The lighting in the restaurant was a little too dark but otherwise the dining experience was very nice!! My wife and I chose Carson's for our two year anniversary and we were very satisfied with our decision to dine there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still SolidAshasanVIPDined on 11/3/2014Chicago has a bunch of Rob joints. They come and go. Carson's has been a staple in the city for decades. great ribs. not the parboiled stuff that you get at other joints.Special Features:
- Still Going StrongbillmartDined on 10/30/2014I'm someone who, when returning to a city for a visit after a number of years, will look for places that provided pleasurable experiences in the past. Carson's has been a Chicago institution for many years. Its signature bowl of chicken liver is gone from the bar area, but the ribs are still authentic, the steaks tasty and reasonably priced, and the decor brings back memories of past visits - classic old school steakhouse. JoJo was our server, a lady who has worked there since the opening nearly 40 years ago. Angle to get her as your server, you will be well taken care of. At Carson's, you can step back in time for a special and flavorful experience. It is part of the Chicago experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodknicksuckVIPDined on 10/27/2014I don't think you get a better meal for the price anywhere. Steaks are incredible too. Prime Rib is my favorite in the city. Must try the corn bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveribsDined on 10/25/2014Carsons has always been a great place but use to be even bette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ribs and better bbq sauce.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Have to get the ribs! If you go at night, try to not get too full from the complimentary liver pâté!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Haven't been in Chicago in 20 years. Food was better than I remember. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- SaturdayNightDinerSaturdayNightDinerDined on 10/13/2014Carson's always has good food. We were able to obtain a round table for our party of 10. The BBQ ribs & chicken were delicious. So were the potato skins. The wait staff were attentive. I recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Not Like BeforeFoodieDined on 10/5/2014My party of 4 went for the sake of nostalgia, since we had not eaten there in a very long time. Valet parking is now $9 and street parking impossible. Gone is the complimentary liver pate that used to be served as an appetizer for so many years. Signature au gratin potatoes and cole slaw still awesome. My pork chop was supposed to be medium as they recommended, but although acceptable, it was medium well or well done. In summary, it was a good experience, but no reason to travel far. There are simply too many options for ribs and chops in a major metro area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LarryVIPDined on 10/4/2014You can always count on the great food, great service, warm atmosphere and their menu has something for everyone. Whether it is a steak, ribs, or a salad, it is excellent every single time. Can't wait to try the one in Milwaukee one of these days.Special Features:
- travelpuppyVIPDined on 10/3/2014Took a friend to Chicago for a get a way, we left our husbands at home. Went to Carson's everything was excellent, ribs, were not drowned in sauce it was baked in and then they brought you extra sauce to the table potatoes Au Gratin, roasted Greek and Cole slaw were great my friend said this tastes just like your cole slaw, the drinks were great. I told my husband that I found a place that he will love their ribs, so the next time we are in town I'm taking him to Carson's. I will be back.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Wonderful food and amazing service, we had the crusted filet mignon and bone in prime rib. Both were cooked to perfection and served by delightful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PlaceDunnbarDined on 9/30/2014I sat in the bar and had dinner by myself. The atmosphere was nice. The service was very good. And the food was excellent. Best Wedge Salad I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still ImpressesWinedudeVIPDined on 9/28/2014We go here for great steaks at a reasonable price. Great salads, side dishes and fun desserts. Service is friendly and competent. We've been going to Carson's for over 30 years and we still love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - as always!SuburbaniteDined on 9/28/2014Had friends in from out of town. When they suggested ribs, the logical choice was Carson's. Food was plentiful and tasty. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to this place?DinerVIPDined on 9/22/2014We walked in & waited at front desk. Male server looked at us & approximately 10 min later yelled around corner "people up front" Hostess came out, obviously annoyed. We mentioned we had a reservation- she just started walking us to an unwiped table. I asked if she could check our reservation in, she said "yeah" & walked away. Someone came to wipe table & brought waters. Our server brought menus & took drink & appetizer order. Said crab cake was not fried, it's baked (it was fried & cold in middle) ordered BBQ pork chops & AFTER 15 MIN we were told they were out of pork chops- Ordered filet med & it was extra rare. Staff sat at bar watching Football telling drunk stories & cursing. 3 dirty tables around us entire time. Terrible
- Milwaukee visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014Carson's was recommended to us by one of the locals on a recent visit to Chicago. Upon entering the place smelled of smoked barbecue and we felt the recommendation was going to be good. We ordered 1/2 rack of ribs, salad and baked potato. The wedge salad was great but it's really just lettuce with tomatoes and dressing. The baked potato was huge and nicely cooked. The ribs were very disappointing, smelled great, looked great but very tough and not very meaty. I actually thought I was eating ribs left over from the previous day and just re-heated as we ate on a Sunday evening. The group was sorry we wasted an evening here with all of the other great restaurants in this city, we will not return.
- DeludenteGiandomenicoDined on 9/17/2014Avevo letto che facevano tra le migliori ribs di Chicago. Invece ribs deludenti con addirittura odore di grasso tendente al rancido
- Good as beforeknucklesDined on 9/12/2014I grew up in Chicago and would go to Carsons a couple times a year - usually when out of town guests came to visit. Everything was just as I remembered - the ribs tender and delicious, the corn bread cooked just right and still warm and the beer cold. We arrived about 15 minutes late for our reservation due to weather, but our table was ready. Thank you for the delicious food and great eveningSpecial Features:
- It was alrightpspauly63Dined on 9/12/2014Not the best Ribs I've ever had but it was right up there with the tastiest. Sauce was Devine. Our server knew his stuff. Poitned us in the right direction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnercamkingVIPDined on 9/5/2014I had the BBQ Sampler with a garden salad instead of coleslaw. Everything was lovely. The quarter chicken was larger than I was expecting - it must have been a very big chicken! The service was great, and the whole dinner experience rounded off my day in Chicago nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 9/5/2014One can always count on having an excellent dinner, great food, great service, friendly and warm company. We both had the ribs which we are partial to having frequented this restaurant for over 30 years. My wife loves the creamy garlic dressing. We had to catch a show and it worked out perfectly after a torrential storm delayed us about 30 minute.Special Features:
- Nice ribs& beersDorisDined on 9/3/2014I ordered one bottle of the goose island beer under the recommendation of waitress, it taste sweet and a little bitter. And, the casaer salad was also surprisingly good, especially the fresh pepper and the cheese. The ribs taste soft, it is the best ribs I ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in MidwestalwayshungryVIPDined on 8/31/2014Best ribs in Midwest. Black skillet cornbread reminds me of my grandmothers. Best coleslaw around. If i lived in Chicago, i would be a regular. Service was great.Special Features:
- Food Good, Service not so muchServiceinthedetailsDined on 8/29/2014Ribs were great, atmosphere was nice. Appetizer, under cooked and service very below standard. Not attentive and seemed really bothered and unhappy. No bread or bagel chips served, unless that's been discontinued. Had to request wine list 2x's and paid for item that were sent back without acknowledgment. Poor greeting and no exit goodbye from server or at the front hostess/greeting area. Not sure if I will return.Special Features:
- Best Ribs EvermotorguyDined on 8/29/2014While living in Chicago, Carson's was THE rib place and we ate there fairly often. Having been away from Chicago for 15 years, we had the opportunity to go back and we had to have Carson's ribs. We weren't disappointed. The ribs and cheese potatoes were as great as ever. If you want ribs in downtown Chicago, Carson's is the place!Special Features:
- Great nightLuvribsDined on 8/23/2014This was our first trip to Chicago. Carson's was recommended as a place to go for dinner. It did not disappoint. If we ever make back to Chicago we will definitely be visiting Carson's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome 5 starsJose28Dined on 8/23/2014Everything was great. The server was awesome and amazing. Love the food the last time I eat at Carson's was when I was 15 I'm now 28 that was 13 years ago and when I was there my mouth was watering and I just could not wait to eat the rib tips and fries with the awesome BBQ sauce just like when I was a kid at the location in chicago on Clark and Peterson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014We arrives early for our reservation but were seated promptly. Our server was efficient, took our order right away. The quality of the ribs was excellent however I prefer a spicier sauce. This is a sweet BBQ. The coleslaw was delicious. I opted for fries but wish I had gotten the au gratin potatoes. Overall it was delicious and had plenty to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time diners!Tarheel98Dined on 8/22/2014We arrived early for our reservation and were taken to our table immediately, which was nice. We had the bone in prime rib and half slab ribs barbque/pork chops combos. Service was friendly and the food was delicious, my wife and I both really enjoyed our meal and went home with full bellies to fall asleep in food comas! We'll be back!Special Features:
- MistacoconutDined on 8/22/2014We came to Chicago for the day from Michigan and have dined at Carson's before. Our reservation was for 7 pm but they seated us without question early and put us in a cozy booth. Our dinner was so good we kept talking about how delicious everything tasted and we had plenty to take home for highly anticipated leftovers. The restaurant was a little noisy due to a large group that came in after us but we didn't care once the food was served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014always delicious...started with the chicken liver pate-awesome!!!then the ribs & augratin potatoes. could eat here every night!!!!Special Features:
- Carsons let me down.ronnVIPDined on 8/15/2014The famous ribs were not very good. The meat was not 'falling off the bone' AND THE sauce was too sweet. The coleslaw was very tasty and the service was great.
- Excellent Service and Bar Serviceexcellent2dineatVIPDined on 8/10/2014The service was excellent, the food came out cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich1Dined on 8/6/2014Great ribs corn bread was delicious, will try the prime rib on my next visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meatfest!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2014We have been going for over 25 years! GREAT place for a meatfest!Special Features: