11 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carrienationcocktailclub.com/
- Phone: (617) 227-3100
- Hours of Operation:
Serving food till 10p Sunday through Thursday, and till 11p Friday and Saturday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jamie Mohn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Carrie Nation
For memorable cocktail and cuisine experiences in the Beacon Hill area of Boston, Carrie Nation Cocktail Club on Beacon Street offers not only an extensive menu of exquisite dishes and drinks, but also a touch of history. Come to Carrie Nation for breakfast or brunch any day of the week, or stop by for an afternoon tea. Learn about Carrie Nation’s passionate efforts to rid America of liquor while smugly indulging in the very intoxicating delights that this firebrand fiend despised. At Carrie Nation, you can experience one of the best new locations for fine dining and cocktails in Boston.Those looking for a cocktail club in Beacon Hill with a classy, but comfortable, atmosphere can experience all that Carrie Nation has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carrie Nation reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (33)neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (17)great for lunch (16)late-night find (16)hot spot (15)romantic (14)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014Like the ambiance and wait staff and ambiance. Very friendly and food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience at Carrie Nation!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Enjoyed a great dinner here and the server Nicole was amazing! Then later had a large group meet up for drinks, which were fantastic and it was a great venue for a group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014Upon arrival was impressed with Carrie Nation's authentic vibe. One sorted the food and cocktail menu were impressive and then once the food and drink came it lived up to the expectations! Great service- food and drink came promptly but without feeling rushed. I'd highly recommend this place and I fact have already recommended it to people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better in the eveningsStephVIPDined on 11/14/2014Was there for a week day lunch. Food was good but not great. Dinner and bar area a better choice for this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great old-fashoned barfaroDined on 11/6/2014The place is in a great location in Freedom Trail, and they still hold an old-fashioned all-original speakeasy bar from Prohibition days. The bar itsekf is worth the visit, as the small prohibition exibit they have. The food is good, prices are fair for what you're getting.Special Features:
- Disappointing...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/4/2014I've dined here twice now - the first time was decent and the most recent experience was disappointing and unsatisfying. The front desk staff was very friendly, accommodating and flexible. As for our server, she had no idea what the specials were, she sounded like she smoked something before she came over to our table - completely out of it and lax. The food was OK - of the 5 of us who were dining, only one person LOVED his meal. I hope this place can kick it up a notch because the location is great and the space is decorated beautifully.Special Features:
- Not worth the $$HTKrauseVIPDined on 10/31/2014The atmosphere is great however when you pair that with just okay good and terrible/non-existent service, you create a resturant I will not return to. If only they had spent as much time on their food and customer service as they did on their decor and drinks.
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/23/2014Do not miss the Turkey Minestrone if it is still on the specials menu. Outstanding. My favorite Lobster BLT in the city. Very comfortable seating and you're not crowded so you can discuss business without feeling like someone could be listening in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Decent food and decent prices. I need to hit 50 characters for this review, so hopefully this should do it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014All three times that I have been at Carrie Nation, the service has been great, I have not felt rushed, the staff is friendly and I think the food is great. Everything I had was really tasty. I especially like the Tuna Tartare appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseKathDined on 10/10/2014This is a really nice restaurant with extremely good service and delicious food. I do plan to return.Special Features:
- Bean Town CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Carrie Nation on a sunday afternoon is wonderful; especially if you want a great dinner before going to the Opera House for the evening. Service is quick and friendly. Food done to perfection and lots of it. Going back as soon as I can.Special Features:
- Bad Experiencesbp123Dined on 9/20/2014Service took forever. A significant wait for our drinks and then at least 40 minutes until our food came. Salmon was undercooked and had to be sent back. If that happens, you should at least take the drinks off the check. Also, the set up of the dining room was awkward. Uncomfortable armchairs placed awkwardly at small tables and it was way too light.
- Always a joyful occasion eatinghereJohnDined on 9/17/2014Food always excellent, especially fish, and drinks are very ample. Just discovered the second floor dining room and long bars. Looks like a great fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic? Vibrant? No, LoudhiramDined on 8/20/2014I recommended Carrie Nation for its vibrant and energetic bar scene (well, why not just call it loud?) because I found little else to like about it. Both my daughter and I found our food (shrimp in her case, a Berkshire pork chop in mine) overcooked, and what's the point of going to a restaurant if that is the result? Also, I could tell she really wanted the steak, but decided not to order it because of the $38 price tag. Given how poorly the entrees we chose came out, it's probably good that she repressed herself. And what's going on with the ridiculously pretentious names of the drinks -- was there really one called Disfunctional Nation? Something like that, anyway.Special Features:
- Interesting new venueDebbieVIPDined on 8/5/2014Delicious salmon and interesting drink menu. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply fabulous!LocalDinersVIPDined on 8/2/2014Beautiful decor, excellent service and fabulous food! Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againHadHighHopesVIPDined on 8/1/2014Service not good. Food okay, but waiter, though sweet, came once every 20 minutes and didn't know anything about the menu. Was not a busy night either.
- The following 120 reviews are from the Carrie Nation reviews archive.
- Carrie Nation misses all around.SilkeVIPDined on 7/24/2014Carrie Nation is still in business despite being empty for months. As a neighbor, I heard it was catching on, so gave it a try at lunch. I like its "sister" properties, Emmett's and 6B, standard pubs with pretty good lunch. Apparently Carrie was trying for more upscale, maybe even "fine dining" with ambiance. Instead it's a mishmash of expensive, mediocre food, noise, pool tables (!) red flocked wallpaper and "retro"decor reminiscent of the old Marliave, when it was a red-sauce gangster place. Ser4vice is pretentious yet spotty ("I'll be your server," first rushed us, then disappeared...actually good because he was so sweaty I was afraid he'd drip on the food). This isn't going to work unless they find a coherent market positioning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014Ambience and drinks were great. Food was mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meeting placeEvieDined on 7/17/2014We had a wonderful lunch, it was an interns birthday, great food, noise level low, great for conversing, along with really good food, nice atmosphere, enjoyed by all, will be back, hopefully in the eveningSpecial Features:
- Politico hot spotMatthewDined on 7/16/2014Both dinner and cocktails were creative and supported the restaurant's theme. We especially liked the mussels, a rarity for me. My barrel-aged special cocktail was great. My date was so-so about her Striped Pig cocktail ("odd aftertaste"), but I liked the sip I took and it had great nose. Being right behind the state house, the bar was boisterous with people pressing the flesh by 8pm and its noise does spill into the dining area. I'd get a table near the front window, if you want some space from the noise.Special Features:
- Great Food, Exceptional CocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/14/2014Thank you, Carrie Nation for outstanding food and friendly, attentive service. We started with $1 oysters and fish tacos, had the warm goat cheese with tomato, tempura oysters, sliders, beet salad, chicken, pork chop, creme brulee, and apple tart. Food was cooked perfectly and very flavorful. Our cocktails were outstanding from the Striped pig, to the Sazerac, bees knees, and December 5th. We were greeted warmly by the host, Frank. Our waiter, Miguel was very friendly and attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Dinner for threeBostongrlDined on 7/11/2014This was my first experience at Carrie Nation and it was recommended to me be a friend. We arrived way early for our reservation but they were ready for us and my party of three right away. I definitely felt underdressed in jeans but it didn't seem to be problem. Food is delish. We split the goat cheese and garlic bake and I had the blue cheese ravioli as an entrée. Good portion size and food was served in a reasonable amount of time. Server was attentive. I didn't have any alcohol but my friend had a beer and it was $7.00 which seems to be on target for the area For three of us, bill was $75. There were families in there as well, but not quite sure I would consider it a kid-friendly place. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedArmoGuyDined on 7/5/2014The food was good and our server Dewayne was great. The Kobe sliders were tasty! The ambiance of the dinning room with it's 'blast from the past' decor was cool to experience. Glad I found it for dinner in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for lunchBostonvisitorDined on 7/1/2014We had the lobster sandwich, the tomato and goat cheese tart, and the hazelnut-encrusted goat cheese salad. All were terrific! The music was far too loud for a lunch conversation, but they kindly turned down the volume a bit at our request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to Rave About it...beantownmomDined on 6/21/2014Love the location, love the speakeasy decor, love the round tables for larger parties. The food was excellent...when it showed up. Drinks were good, but the service was not good. Not sure if it was the kitchen's fault or our server's. Certain appetizers(chowder, seafood tower) never arrived, manager didn't intervene until well beyond a reasonable time and comp'd us both items when they did come out(during the entrees.) I love the location on Beacon Hill and the ambiance but they totally need to get their act together on the service end. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jenny9Dined on 6/14/2014Frankie baby!!! We had such a wonderful time... You took Care of us above and beyond!!! We will be back! JennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty foodEllie66Dined on 6/12/2014We were in Boston on holiday and chose this restaurant based on location and reviews and we weren't disappointed. There was a mix of families, groups and couples so it was a good atmosphere. Service was great. We both enjoyed the food. It wouldn't be first choice for a romantic meal as it is very noisy but as a lively place to eat with good food and service it would be an excellent place to eat,Special Features:
- MehCageybostonDined on 6/11/2014Both the food and service were pretty uninspired. I had short ribs with sticky rice. The short ribs were not really tender and the rice was mushy. The drinks were imaginative but mediocre execution. Wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Delicious and funMeMoVIPDined on 6/11/2014First, the food here is really great. I have been several times and keep coming back to try different dishes. This time we had the brussel sprout salad with salmon and the cheeseburger - both were excellent. The apple tart for dessert was absolutely delicious. Second, the ambiance is really fun. The back room is set up as a speakeasy with pool tables, low lighting, chandeliers, and plenty of whiskey/bourbon. This place is a great Beacon Hill gem.Special Features:
- foodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Before booking this restaurant I read the prior reviews. Many were concerned with service. We had no such problem. Our server was attentive, and food and drinks were brought out timely. Unfortunately the food was rather ordinary--not bad, but in my opinion not worth a return visit given all the wonderful restaurants in the city. Specifically, the calamari was chewey--overcooked or previously frozen, stripped bass was fresh cooked well, but served on overcooked pasta with an overzealous cream sauce. Ravioli's were huge, enormous amount of filling, overpowered the sauce (I realize large portions are a draw for some, but these massive pillows of cheese were a turn off for me).
- Great locationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2014I enjoyed the meal and the service was excellent. Great signature cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, disappointing serviceYummyDined on 5/30/2014The Lobster BLT was delicious and the sweet potato fries were perfectly crisp! I've had cocktails later in the evening a few times and the Gin Fizz is great but some of the others are hit or miss. When I was in for dinner I was disappointed by the service. Our waiter was not very attentive. We had to ask multiple times and wait a long time to get a drink menu (which was removed from our table even though we said we wanted to keep it) and refills of water, etc.Special Features:
- Excellent food, eclectic atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014Great place, the manager is awesome, and the service is super! Nice menu, and comfy place like you are sitting in someone's living room on one side - and then a fabulous bar. All around great place for business lunch, nice dinner, and definite fun place after work at the bar. Great addition to Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first impressionsenchantedDined on 5/18/2014Absolutely different and interesting decor. Very comfortable atmosphere. Service was very professional. Food was prepared well and was tasteful. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Probably wouldn't go backMallomarDined on 5/17/2014It was okay. The atmosphere was nice but not as romantic as I'd hoped; it was also EXTREMELY LOUD. The calamari appetizer was great, my fish was okay. They served my Mahi-Mahi skin side up which was really weird. No one wants to see that when they look down at their dinner. I had to flip it over myself as the skin was not edible. My boyfriend enjoyed his burger and his sweet potato fries were delish! Service was great, waitress very nice and not too friendly so that it seemed fake. She got a good tip. Overall, 3 stars.
- Great good bye lunchDarPDined on 5/13/2014I took a co-worker who is leaving to lunch here. It was wonderful. We got the goat cheese/tomato tart. It was delish and there was more than enough. My co-worker had left overs that she took home. The atmosphere is lovely and service was great. This was my first time there and I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- A nice findagirlsgottaeatVIPDined on 5/12/2014Had been told by friends this place had a good bar scene. I actually needed a place to have a very quick dinner but the bar scene did look fun! The wait staff and kitchen did a great job getting me out on time. I had a special food request and they not only accommodated it but served my dish in a very nice presentation. Given the time (5:30-6:30 on a Monday night) I was surprised by how empty the dining room was but it was nice to have a chance to really look at the nice decor. We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Stood up by made the best of itOZiGincDined on 5/10/2014I was stoop up for a date @ Carrie Nation but the staff made me feel like a king. I wasn't ignored or overburdened. Great staff would def visit again! A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.