Carriage House Restaurant
22 Brookside Drive
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Carriage House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.papermill.org/
- Phone: (973) 315-1707
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Holly Guber
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: When the theatre is dark, The Carriage House has live piano and jazz music on Friday and Saturday nights.
A word from Carriage House Restaurant
The Carriage House offers a fine dining a la carte menu during the weeks when the theater is not in production and prix-fixe, pre-theatre dining to Paper Mill patrons, directly across from the theatre entrance. Award-winning chef Holly Guber is proud to be at the helm of this newly renovated gem that is also open when the theatre is dark, with an eclectic menu of small and large plates, and a stunning selection of interesting wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carriage House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (13)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (6)romantic (6)good for groups (5)scenic view (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Silent Auction dinner2hungryDined on 10/26/2014Food was Ok, nothing special. Service was horrible. I should not have needed to ask 3 times to get a diet coke.
- Coctails for two?BobnGailVIPDined on 10/26/2014As a couple, we were shunted to the lease offensive of five tables reserved for a duo. Unlesws this restaurant is convinced that their experience is mainly successful with large groups, a reorganization of seating wouod be suggested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience!SportguyNJDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I have been season ticket subscribers to the Paper Mill Playhouse for several years now and we always dine at the Carriage House before every show we see there. We also had our rehearsal dinner there for our friends the day before our wedding this past June and the staff has always been so wonderful and attentive. The inspired menu changes for each show and there are wonderful choices for appetizers, main course and desserts - it's always so hard to choose because everything here is excellent! We look forward to dining here before every show we see at the Paper Mill and I highly recommend this wonderful restaurant for a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Our table was ready when we arrived for the reservation, but it was located next to the entrance door. Our waitress was only fairly professional. An error was made in our bill with the addition of a third alcoholic drink that was not ordered. The bill was corrected and the waitress explained it was her error. As a long patron of the Paper Mill I would recommend the restaurant for dining when attending the performance as a great convenience.
- Carriage House at the Paper MillFussieDined on 10/23/2014The best thing about this restaurant is that it is convenient for a curtain at the Paper Mill Playhouse. The ffod, the service and the abience is average. And it is pricey with a limited menu.
- Pre-Theater Gem!Joan2TasteDined on 10/23/2014And the greatest Bloody Marys this side of the Hudson!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wondeful time, delicious foodMariann61Dined on 10/22/2014The Carriage House is a great place to dine when going to the Papermill Playhouse for a show. Not only is it convenient since it is on the same property as the theater, but the food and service is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the playReallyDined on 10/22/2014Enjoy a fine meal before the very short walk to your show. Good food, very nice atmosphere, good service so make it a point to try it out.Special Features:
- Convenient Locationfan2013Dined on 10/18/2014If attending the Papermill Playhouse, this restaurant is attractive and very convenient.Special Features:
- Great PlaceJmkmDined on 10/12/2014Wasn't sure what to expect as have never been there for brunch. I was pleasantly surprised, the menu had a theme to go along with the show that was performing at Paper Mill Playhouse, which was right across the court yard from the restaurant. Service was great and the food was delicious. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Good food but mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/11/2014Our waitress kept forgetting to bring us drinks we ordered. Nevertheless, both beef and salmon were tender and yummy. It turned out quite an enjoyable dinner. We were catching an evening show at the Papermill Playhouse, the service was paced so well that we weren't in any rush. The on-duty manager was very courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDinerSupremeDined on 10/11/2014We went a few times when it first opened and it was very empty. It was amazing. The food was memorable and the service equally good. It is now a mob scene which is good for them. It is the same chef but the food is undistinguished. The five entree choices are limited and mundane. I guess this is the only way they can deal with the volume. The noise level is high. They brought the food before they delivered the drinks to the table. They didn't bring all the drinks at the same time. Staff was young and eager but not well trained. I wish it were otherwise.
- YUMYUMb4CANCANDined on 10/11/2014Excellent meal prior to seeing a show at Papermill Playhouse. High quality food, reasonably priced, and friendly/efficient staff. My wife is a chef and is very particular, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, Chef Holly came out to our table and "talked shop" with my wife, which was an extra bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect per play mealMrsRed6Dined on 10/10/2014Per Fix menus offered variety of options. Portions were appropriate. Foods was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Great food and service all planned and timed to make an evening at the Papermill Playhouse relaxing! They also have a neat list of specialty cocktails and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyHappyDined on 10/9/2014We have always been pleased with our dinner prior to attending the Paper Mill Playhouse. We had six people for dinner & all were very well satisfied with the food & the price.Special Features:
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Exceedingly convenient if going to the PaperMill Playhouse. Parking is easy at this time and you low you will get to the performance on time. Food is very good. Nice ambiance. Would dine there even if not going to a performance.Special Features:
- TweakieVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great place to have lunch or dinner before attending a production at the Papermill Playhouse.
- Before the showGodprovidesDined on 10/3/2014Me and my friend loved the Carriage restaurant! We had a good time ,with a 4 course dinner before The Papermill Show and we loved each oneof the separate dishes . Beautiful nature view and fireplace. I will really recommend the restaurant, for others to experience ! Included in this review are also the very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Papermill ShowsSophiaDined on 10/2/2014The Salads were average, my salmon was delicious. My dining partner ordered the short ribs; the edges of the meat and some of the potatoes on the dish were burned...very unacceptable. We did not send the dish back as we had already waited an hour for dinner and had a curtain to make at the Papermill. We figured it might take too long to be served properly. The service was so disappointing. We had a 5:30 reservation, expecting this would allow for leisurely dining, yet still had to rush through our meal. The saving grace of the dinner was the triple chocolate gelato truffle...was so yummy it almost make up for everything.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014This is a perfect dinner spot for pre-theater goers. I will come here every time I go to the Papermill Playhouse. The fixed price meal was delicious. There were several choices in all categories. Everything I had was very good and it was served hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MSKAIADined on 8/1/2014Service and atmosphere made this the start of a great evening out. Can't beat this spot for a pre-theater dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Carriage House Restaurant reviews archive.
- Dining Experience Carriage HouseJacqueDined on 6/28/2014I ordered fromt the adult menu and the food was delicious....a bit pricey pice fixe $40 but worth it. My son ordered off of the child's menu $20. The soup was delicious, the main course pizza was not. For this price I thought it would be home made thin crust pizza. It seemed like frozen not cooked through. We sent it back to heat more and still did not suit my son's tasting. He didn't eat it at all. Desert was delicious. My Bloody Mary was delcious but took quite a long time to take. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance is charming food goodMom23singsDined on 6/28/2014Out with friends before the Papermill Show. . .pre fix menu $40 for dinner, a bit steep. Glazed Salmon and brushetta with goat cheese were my favorites. Fun cocktails were a bit pricey, but good. Nice to be able to eat, relax and head to the theatreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater at Paper Mill PlayhouseMontyDined on 6/27/2014The Carriage House Restaurant is great for pre-theater dinner at Paper Mill Playhouse. Meet for drinks at the bar, enjoy a leisurely dinner, then walk 30 feet to the theater. No Rush!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre theatre MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014The proximity to the Paper Mill Playhouse makes this restaurant ideal for pre-theatre dining. They also know exactly how to pace the meal so that you have plenty of time to eat, digest and see the show. The menu is limited to a few choices for a reasonably priced three course prix fixe meal. The food is very good and the service is excellent. The ambiance is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find next to the PaperMillFrankDined on 6/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal here; and just a few steps from the theater! The prix fixe dinner was fine, and the price reasonable. It's our stop for dinner when we take in our next show.Special Features:
- Great experianceTinkDined on 6/26/2014We were going to see a play at paper mill playhouse and this was the perfect spot to go to eat just before play. We got there a little late but the server was wonderful and completely understanding, the waiter was excellent and fast knowing we only had a limited time before the play would start. We both had the penne dish it was to die for and I had a paper mill martini that was divine . I will be coming back SOON to dine and drink here.Special Features:
- Great time with friends.HotlipsDined on 6/22/2014This was my second visit but the first for my two friends. The meal was delicious and the portions perfect. The Carriage House has seasonal prix fixe menu selections prior to the Paper Mill Playhouse performances. The meal is paced perfectly to ensure you get out before the show but not rushed. The service was attentive but not intrusive. Seating comfortable and there are sufficient selections for any dining preference. Highly recommended for friends, romantic dinner for two, or even a large group. Give it a try. Parking nearby and views of the Paper Mill plaza and gardens from the dining room windows.Special Features:
- Paper Mill DiningNoneDined on 6/22/2014So convenient, very friendly, staff really works hard to make sure everything is just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We were in the orange wallpapered room which was VERY NOISY!!! Our party of four could not hear each other without shouting. The food and service were excellent, but the noise level overshadowed the meal.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Show ExperiencecdbongardDined on 6/20/2014My friends and I ate at the Carriage House last Friday night before our viewing of Grease. Our server and all wait staff were wonderful. We were not rushed out. The restaurant is quaint. The signature cocktails were delicious. The food was cooked well and very tasty. The price fix menu was satisfying. The price was a little steep for the overall experience, once you add the drinks in, but it was a nice night out with my friends and we enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Carriage House RestaurantPMPfansDined on 6/12/2014The food is good to very good depending on the menu which varies with the play being performed at Papermill Playhouse. My wife loves the BLT with a fried egg on top. When they do the chicken salad it is a big hit and not to be missed. Convenience to the playhouse is really nice. We attend matinees and always stop in for lunch first. The veterans on the wait staff are extremely good, but the restaurant isn't good at breaking in the new comers.Special Features:
- ExcellentYummyDined on 6/11/2014And a short walk across the courtyard to the theatre. Getting better and better !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Bruschetta was to die for - OUTSTANDING. Food presentations were special. Food was tasty... on BBQ Beef dish food was piled on top of each other and would have preferred a plate instead of a bowl. Waited 15 min for dessert to arrive, watching other guests who had their plates cleared after us get their dessert before us. Not sure why... Would go back to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Paper Mill PlayhousesbsiDined on 6/8/2014Nothing outstanding about the food, service or ambience. A convenient place to eat before a Paper Mill show. Tables somewhat tightly arranged. Te food is OK and the service certainly fast enough to insure you will get to the show. They serve only a three course fixed price dinner with very limited choices. Sometimes the few choices are attractive, sometimes not. I would appreciate the chance to pick from a menu with more choices and not to be forced into three courses.
- An exceptional eveningAnnieDined on 6/8/2014The food was great, but the reason I would go back is for the sense of "specialness" that was evident in all aspects of the Carriage House experience. The location was stately, yet comfortable. The service was wonderful--warm, friendly, and efficient. The cost was reasonable. Overall, a nice beginning to my theater experience with my eleven year old grand-daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little jewel in MillburnGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 6/8/2014Carriage House has come a long way. It has definitely become a wonderful addition to the Millburn dining scene. Set in beautiful surroundings, the restaurant now offers a limited, yet superb, selection of food, augmented by excellent service, a full bar and a wonderful ambiance. This is not your "run of the mill" pre-theatre venue. It is in fact a wonderful dining destination. All that's missing is an outdoor seating area to enjoy the beautiful weather and external surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carriage House RestaurantPapermillpatronDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant is attached to The Papermill Playhouse and convenient to the parking for the Playhouse also. They have a price fix menu that is usually $40.00 per person, so it is not inexpensive. The wine list prices are expensive w/ the prices being $40.00 and up also. I checked online for the price of the wine we paid $40.00 for and it was $9.99, so we were disappointed about that. If you are able to walk 10 min into town, there are quite a few storefront restaurants that are good and some are bYOB.Special Features:
- A convenient treasureNancyDined on 6/4/2014Everything that could go right did. We arrived early for dinner before theater. The small menu covered all bases. The soup of the evening was a summer vegetable that was fresh tasting and nicely presented. The Waldorf salad had crunch and sweetness. The salmon main dish was a perfectly sized portion of well seasoned fish. Pasta with mushrooms and asparagus was truly a spring entree. The desserts were creative sweet treats. It is too bad that the theater takes all the parking or I would drive there for dinner when not attending a performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.