Carriage House Restaurant
22 Brookside Drive
Millburn, NJ 07041Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Carriage House Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.papermill.org/
- Phone: 9733151707x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Holly Guber
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: When the theatre is dark, The Carriage House has live piano and jazz music on Friday and Saturday nights.
A word from Carriage House Restaurant
The Carriage House offers a fine dining a la carte menu during the weeks when the theater is not in production and prix-fixe, pre-theatre dining to Paper Mill patrons, directly across from the theatre entrance. Award-winning chef Holly Guber is proud to be at the helm of this newly renovated gem that is also open when the theatre is dark, with an eclectic menu of small and large plates, and a stunning selection of interesting wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carriage House Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (18)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- MSKAIADined on 8/1/2014Service and atmosphere made this the start of a great evening out. Can't beat this spot for a pre-theater dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Experience Carriage HouseJacqueDined on 6/28/2014I ordered fromt the adult menu and the food was delicious....a bit pricey pice fixe $40 but worth it. My son ordered off of the child's menu $20. The soup was delicious, the main course pizza was not. For this price I thought it would be home made thin crust pizza. It seemed like frozen not cooked through. We sent it back to heat more and still did not suit my son's tasting. He didn't eat it at all. Desert was delicious. My Bloody Mary was delcious but took quite a long time to take. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance is charming food goodMom23singsDined on 6/28/2014Out with friends before the Papermill Show. . .pre fix menu $40 for dinner, a bit steep. Glazed Salmon and brushetta with goat cheese were my favorites. Fun cocktails were a bit pricey, but good. Nice to be able to eat, relax and head to the theatreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater at Paper Mill PlayhouseMontyDined on 6/27/2014The Carriage House Restaurant is great for pre-theater dinner at Paper Mill Playhouse. Meet for drinks at the bar, enjoy a leisurely dinner, then walk 30 feet to the theater. No Rush!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre theatre MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014The proximity to the Paper Mill Playhouse makes this restaurant ideal for pre-theatre dining. They also know exactly how to pace the meal so that you have plenty of time to eat, digest and see the show. The menu is limited to a few choices for a reasonably priced three course prix fixe meal. The food is very good and the service is excellent. The ambiance is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A find next to the PaperMillFrankDined on 6/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal here; and just a few steps from the theater! The prix fixe dinner was fine, and the price reasonable. It's our stop for dinner when we take in our next show.Special Features:
- Great experianceTinkDined on 6/26/2014We were going to see a play at paper mill playhouse and this was the perfect spot to go to eat just before play. We got there a little late but the server was wonderful and completely understanding, the waiter was excellent and fast knowing we only had a limited time before the play would start. We both had the penne dish it was to die for and I had a paper mill martini that was divine . I will be coming back SOON to dine and drink here.Special Features:
- Great time with friends.HotlipsDined on 6/22/2014This was my second visit but the first for my two friends. The meal was delicious and the portions perfect. The Carriage House has seasonal prix fixe menu selections prior to the Paper Mill Playhouse performances. The meal is paced perfectly to ensure you get out before the show but not rushed. The service was attentive but not intrusive. Seating comfortable and there are sufficient selections for any dining preference. Highly recommended for friends, romantic dinner for two, or even a large group. Give it a try. Parking nearby and views of the Paper Mill plaza and gardens from the dining room windows.Special Features:
- Paper Mill DiningNoneDined on 6/22/2014So convenient, very friendly, staff really works hard to make sure everything is just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We were in the orange wallpapered room which was VERY NOISY!!! Our party of four could not hear each other without shouting. The food and service were excellent, but the noise level overshadowed the meal.Special Features:
- Great Pre-Show ExperiencecdbongardDined on 6/20/2014My friends and I ate at the Carriage House last Friday night before our viewing of Grease. Our server and all wait staff were wonderful. We were not rushed out. The restaurant is quaint. The signature cocktails were delicious. The food was cooked well and very tasty. The price fix menu was satisfying. The price was a little steep for the overall experience, once you add the drinks in, but it was a nice night out with my friends and we enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Carriage House RestaurantPMPfansDined on 6/12/2014The food is good to very good depending on the menu which varies with the play being performed at Papermill Playhouse. My wife loves the BLT with a fried egg on top. When they do the chicken salad it is a big hit and not to be missed. Convenience to the playhouse is really nice. We attend matinees and always stop in for lunch first. The veterans on the wait staff are extremely good, but the restaurant isn't good at breaking in the new comers.Special Features:
- ExcellentYummyDined on 6/11/2014And a short walk across the courtyard to the theatre. Getting better and better !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Bruschetta was to die for - OUTSTANDING. Food presentations were special. Food was tasty... on BBQ Beef dish food was piled on top of each other and would have preferred a plate instead of a bowl. Waited 15 min for dessert to arrive, watching other guests who had their plates cleared after us get their dessert before us. Not sure why... Would go back to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient for Paper Mill PlayhousesbsiDined on 6/8/2014Nothing outstanding about the food, service or ambience. A convenient place to eat before a Paper Mill show. Tables somewhat tightly arranged. Te food is OK and the service certainly fast enough to insure you will get to the show. They serve only a three course fixed price dinner with very limited choices. Sometimes the few choices are attractive, sometimes not. I would appreciate the chance to pick from a menu with more choices and not to be forced into three courses.
- An exceptional eveningAnnieDined on 6/8/2014The food was great, but the reason I would go back is for the sense of "specialness" that was evident in all aspects of the Carriage House experience. The location was stately, yet comfortable. The service was wonderful--warm, friendly, and efficient. The cost was reasonable. Overall, a nice beginning to my theater experience with my eleven year old grand-daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little jewel in MillburnGGBShortHillsVIPDined on 6/8/2014Carriage House has come a long way. It has definitely become a wonderful addition to the Millburn dining scene. Set in beautiful surroundings, the restaurant now offers a limited, yet superb, selection of food, augmented by excellent service, a full bar and a wonderful ambiance. This is not your "run of the mill" pre-theatre venue. It is in fact a wonderful dining destination. All that's missing is an outdoor seating area to enjoy the beautiful weather and external surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carriage House RestaurantPapermillpatronDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant is attached to The Papermill Playhouse and convenient to the parking for the Playhouse also. They have a price fix menu that is usually $40.00 per person, so it is not inexpensive. The wine list prices are expensive w/ the prices being $40.00 and up also. I checked online for the price of the wine we paid $40.00 for and it was $9.99, so we were disappointed about that. If you are able to walk 10 min into town, there are quite a few storefront restaurants that are good and some are bYOB.Special Features:
- A convenient treasureNancyDined on 6/4/2014Everything that could go right did. We arrived early for dinner before theater. The small menu covered all bases. The soup of the evening was a summer vegetable that was fresh tasting and nicely presented. The Waldorf salad had crunch and sweetness. The salmon main dish was a perfectly sized portion of well seasoned fish. Pasta with mushrooms and asparagus was truly a spring entree. The desserts were creative sweet treats. It is too bad that the theater takes all the parking or I would drive there for dinner when not attending a performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Management LackingMACKDined on 6/4/2014The start was fairly good, the seating arrangement needs some work, other than that, not too bad. Wine list yes, beer list NO. Bottles were on display on shelf in bar area, server went back and forth naming brands. Frosted glass was nice, beer was almost flat; no head. Service might have been better if additonal staff were on duty. Guessing they did their best to keep group moving before show time at the Paper Mill Playhouse that is adjacent to the restaurant. Overall, we will not be in a hurry to return considering the convenience of location.Special Features:
- The following 96 reviews are from the Carriage House Restaurant reviews archive.
- BlahMegPDined on 6/1/2014I had lunch here on Sunday before a Paper Mill Playhouse matinee performance. It is steps away from the theater. The building is beautiful with windows overlooking the courtyard and with flowers and greenery and water framing the property. It goes downhill from there, though. First, they didn't have my OpenTable reservation when I arrived. They were not that busy (now I know why), so we were still seated right away. The waitress was OK. Not overly friendly, but not rude, either. We both got water only and our glasses were never refilled throughout the entire meal. And worst of all, the food was TERRIBLE. I mean, close to inedible. We are not picky eaters, but it was bad. For $25 a plate, I expected way, way more. Will not be back.Special Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014We've enjoyed lunch here a few time, before catching a show at the Paper Mill. The staff is always courteous and attentive and the food delicious. Plus, you can't beat the proximity to the Paper Mill Playhouse. I would, and have, recommended to a friend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed heremaryknitterDined on 5/29/2014Always have pre-matinee lunch here before performance at Papermill Playhouse. The three course meal is just right -- perfectly prepared and served in a timely manner. The staff is delightful.Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!NJemten8Dined on 5/10/2014It was a last minute decision to make reservations there before the show but it was the best decision ever! The staff are friendly, the food delicious, and the atmosphere fantastic! Although it is a fixed menu, which I was not familiar with, I was impressed with the choices. For the price you get a four course meal and it's quite reasonable. Alcoholic drinks are a bit pricey however they are well made and definitely not watered down. Any time I have show tickets at PMP I will be making reservations. Had a fantastic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudKathymac7Dined on 5/4/2014When I booked about a month ago i asked for a table on the side and not in the center of the room. After changing three times we finally got a table near the wall after I complained. Right next to us was a large round table which was rather loud. We had to yell in order to be heard. The food was wonderful. We both had shank of lamb which was delicious. I am not sure that I would go back again. I subscribe to Papermill and wish my experience was more pleasant at the Csrriage House.
- Not as excellent as past visitsartsgalDined on 5/3/2014We have a subscription to Paper Mill and have brought many couples to the theatre and dinner beforehand. Service was lacking this visit. We couldn't get a water refill for one of our party, our waitress reached across the table to clear appetizer dishes, asking us to pass our plates to her. The appetizer and dessert were excellent. We will be back though, as we have enjoyed several meals at this picturesque and convenient location.Special Features:
- Disappointed with Fix MenumistyDined on 5/3/2014The food was very good but I was disappointed with the menu selections not much to choose from for the price. Would have liked to see better selection or a few more dishes to choose fromSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2014I attended the pre-fix lunch prior to a show at Papermill Playhouse and really enjoyed the food, cocktail and atmosphere. It is very convenient to have lunch/dinner prior to a show. I would definitely go back if attending a play at the Papermill.Special Features:
- mariDined on 5/2/2014The Carriage House is a good restaurant but I would only go there when I had tickets to the Paper Mill Playhouse since it is on the property and makes dining and going to the theater easy. The choices of appetizers, main courses and desserts are limited but my husband and I always manage to find something we want to choose. The dinner is prix fixed and you could probably eat at other restaurants and get more for the same amount of money. You are paying for the location by the theater and for that it is worth it. The service is excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfuljerseygirlVIPDined on 5/1/2014Everything about this restaurant is fabulous! Love this place!Special Features:
- PapermillfunDined on 5/1/2014Lovely and it was per theater so the servers are very helpful timing is perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casually elegantSpirCordWinMurpDined on 5/1/2014This is the second time I have dined at the Carriage House. I enjoyed it as much as the first. This time I was alone and the bar area was the perfect place to dine. The doors were open and the beautiful day was brought inside. The food was delicious...and the price was right! Most enjoyable...and then to see a play afterwards..it can't get much better than that...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth it for a showbeautyloverDined on 5/1/2014The Prixe Fixe menu is worth the price and the convenience of being parked (separate fee) and within steps of the Playhouse before a performance. While the food is very good, it is not spectacular and I would not necessarily recommend this restaurant to a foodie if they were not attending a show. That being said, I will dine here everytime I go to the Papermill.Special Features:
- Pre-theater treatbmccVIPDined on 4/27/2014Everything was very good from the food to the service to the ambience. The pre fixe menu was somewhat limited, but we had delicious lamb and fish entrees. They cater to the pre-theater crowd and ensure there is plenty of time to enjoy your meal, dessert and coffee. The convenience is a huge plus for the Papermill events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pretheatreLovetoTravelVIPDined on 4/27/2014If you are attending a play at the PaperMill Playhouse, eating dinner here is SO convenient. They offer a three course prefix dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/24/2014The food and service were good, but not worth the price fixed fee. And the menu was somewhat limited to selections that should have been lower priced. The main selling point of the restaurant is its proximity to the Papermill.
- Pre-Theater LunchLadybug916Dined on 4/24/2014I would not take a gentleman unless he wishes to go there. For a ladies lunch, it's very nice. Good selection and I enjoyed my entire meal. It's also very easy to take older people there because of the easy walk up to the main entrance of the Paper Mill Playhouse.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2014Dinner was delicious. nice ambiance. very convenient if going to shaow at paper mill playhouse.Special Features:
- Paper Mill Carriage HouseLuvthetheaterDined on 4/23/2014I have dined at The Paper Mill Carriage House several times and was never disappointed, food and service is very good. Great pre theater.Special Features:
- great for special occasionsWendyDined on 4/19/2014The Carriage House is very nice. So convenient when going to the Papermill Playhouse for a show. We went for lunch and the food was outstanding. A little pricy but we only go once or twice a year. Their soup that day, vegetable with kale, was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.