Carpe Diem Restaurant
1535 Elizabeth Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Carpe Diem Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://carpediemrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7043777976
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Open Easter and Mother's Day for Brunch. Closed on Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Ketterhagen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a wedding, cocktail party or corporate event? Carpe Diem is available for off premise full service catering. We deliver the quality food and service you expect from Carpe Diem for events of up to 250 people. We can assist you with all aspects of your catering, from planning and menu decisions to rentals and set up. The service staff at your event will be employees of the restaurant, not contracted labor, so we can guarantee professional, friendly staffing for your event. We have a variety of standard menus available for your event, or we can completely customize a menu.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for private bookings on Sunday and for breakfast/lunch everyday. A completely private room is available any evening and can accommodate a group of up to 37 guests. If you are using a screen for a presentation, the capacity is reduced to 28 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Warford 8886414749
- Special Events: Mon-Thurs, 5PM-6:30PM 1/2 price appetizers in the bar.
Mon-Tues, one 1/2 price bottle of wine selection
Tuesdays all house cocktails are 1/3 off.
A word from Carpe Diem Restaurant
Carpe Diem has been open since 1989. We have moved twice due to downtown business developments, but are now in our third incarnation at 1535 Elizabeth Avenue. Our interior is done in a beautiful art nouveau style. Mahogany doors, copper lighting that vines around the wood work, and marble floors are just a few details that will engage you in the surroundings. We, the proprietors, sisters Tricia Maddrey and Bonnie Warford, are from Miami, Florida. Our interest in food grew from a love of the Latin and tropical flavors that influenced us growing up. Our menu offers a variety of dishes reflecting "new American" cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Carpe Diem Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Carpe Diem Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)romantic (75)fit for foodies (69)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (26)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (7)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- ExcellentJimTrittenVIPDined on 8/29/2014We flew in from New Mexico and met family members for a delightful experience. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulGJR1Dined on 8/25/2014Carpe Diem never disappoints. I took colleagues from out of town here for dinner. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal and had a great time. Outstanding - and I love the partnerships with local farmers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Haven't been to Carpe Diem in years. Better than ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreDineDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was not up to par. Previous meals were superb, with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long DriveOldGuyDined on 8/19/2014After 400 miles on the road, we cleaned up, ate well, relaxed, and enjoyed friendly, quick, competent, unobtrusive service. If it weren't so far away, we would go there often. Next time in Charlotte, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014The food and service is consistently wonderful. There are enough fresh, fun food combinations to keep it interesting, but also delicious familiar ones deliciously prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be our new favorite!charlottenewbiesDined on 8/18/2014Monday was my wife's birthday and we chose to return to Carpe Diem. It was the first restaurant we visited as we were house shopping in Charlotte a few weeks ago. I had read many positive on-line reviews and we were not disappointed! My wife loved the fish and I the fried chicken. On our last visit she raved about the filet and I went back to the chicken. Love the chicken! There were some nice birthday touches that made the evening even more special...we'll be back!Special Features:
- Disappointing second visitDisappointingDined on 8/16/2014The specials were unremarkable compared to our first visit. The wait-person mispronounced arugula and cippolini (onions) which was quite unprofessional and distracting. We heard her make the same pronunciation mistake with 3 other tables besides our own. Altogether, the food was disappointing, especially since we had previously had a delightful meal at this restaurant. I doubt we will give this restaurant another chance.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Wonderful food selections, great service; great place for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- Excellent Pork TenderloinsmaroulisVIPDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful grilled grape salad w roasted pistachios- really brought out the flavor of the nuts. The pork tenderloin loin w homemade spatzale & beets was absolutely delicious! I usually have the excellent filet Mignon but wanted to try something different. Wow!Special Features:
- Great place to celebrateFoodieDined on 8/9/2014The staff is friendly and helpful. When I reserved on Open Table I mentioned that it was a celebration and the staff had the table decorated and even mentioned the celebration as we sat down. Food was excellent (buttermilk chicken is the best!). Wine list, cocktails, and deserts are reasonably priced. Only negative is that portions can be inconsistent. Two people in our party ordered the salmon and one had a nice sized portion and one received a small sliver. Also - for the price, I'm surprised that they served farm raised salmon. Also, we had older folks in our party and due to the loud environment they did have trouble hearing at times.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Awkward ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014The food was AMAZING but the service was fair. Our server lacked experience and basic ettiquette which made for an interesting and slightly awkward evening. When I asked if there were any specials, the server gave me a copy of her notes. This piece of paper (which was not intended for anyone but her) had the specials listed on it with some items underlined. I have never experienced this before at a high end restaurant. Even the Maître D was taken back by this. It's unfortunate the service took away from our experience because the food was EXCELLENT!I had the Goat Cheese Salad and the Scallops, and my husband had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the roasted brussel sproats were the best I have ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What they do well they do very wellSssavageDined on 8/7/2014We went to celebrate a birthday. They decorated the table with confetti! While simple, it was a nice touch to a delicious meal. The scallops were perfectly cooked as were the Brussel sprouts. And the desserts... Oh the desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!!lavinaDined on 8/7/2014Our favorite restaurant in Charlotte.... the menu, food and service is consistently exceptional at this Restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantMindyDined on 8/5/2014We were in town for two days and wanted a good restaurant that provided good wine and a fine dining experience. We found exactly that with Carpe Diem. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Charlotte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodop73Dined on 8/2/2014Another great dinner at Carpe Diem. Buttermilk chicken always stellar. Interesting combination of ingredients make this a must-go-to place for foodies. Only major complaint- noise level is extremely loud. Rude, boisterous patrons can really spoil the wonderful ambience of the art nouveau surroundings. Management needs politely to address this issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Carpe Diem is a great restaurant to have a wonderful meal with friends. The food is delicious, and the service is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as usualkimeDined on 7/26/2014Carpe Diem catered our wedding with the best food, and they never disappoint when we go to the restaurant to eat either!! The food is amazing (especially the fried chicken) and they have the best service of any restaurant.Special Features:
- The place to go for quality diningrarereviewerDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I took his foodie parents to Carpe Diem while they were visiting. We all loved it! His parents were even reiterating how much they enjoyed their food the next day. Although the menu is not extensive, Carpe Diem has very unique dishes. They use tons of local products and everything is fresh. Half of us ordered off the restaurant week menu (which had quite a few good options) and half of us didn't. The goat cheese salad was, by far, the favorite for everyone. Our waitress was friendly and very knowledgeable about the menu. Service was always prompt. The noise level was a bit high for my taste. I had to raise my voice to be heard by the person just next to me. Overall, a lovely experience, and we will be going back.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Carpe DiemDebbieDined on 7/25/2014We really enjoyed our night at Carpe Diem. The food was great and wine very good as well. The only thing we didn't like is that we felt a bit rushed. The server took our dessert plates before we were done eating them. Otherwise a great dinner and we would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reese122Dined on 7/25/2014Dining room was crowded and loud. Food and service were good.Special Features:
- Moved from "To Try" to "Go Again"ReinaDined on 7/24/2014I had heard of this restaurant several years ago from an old colleague -- she praised it, and ever since then, I had been wanting to try it but hadn't found the right opportunity until this past week. My friend and I went there for Restaurant Week and wow...the food was magNIfico! She loved and gave it five stars too!!! From the intro rolls all the way through dessert, nothing was anything less than absolutely superb. I'm so glad I finally found my way to this place and will SURELY be back and will recommend to others!! Also the lady who served us was really nice, helpful and attentive, and the atmosphere was peaceful -- seems like it would be a great "date night" spot. Look forward to going many more times in the future!Special Features:
- Fresh and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014The food was fresh and delicious! The restaurant is gorgeous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food...GreatQDined on 7/23/2014...at a fair price during restaurant week. The restaurant is trendy, has good service and food, but if not for restaurant week ($30/3 courses) we would have considered it very overpriced. The buttermilk fried chicken was delicious and cooked to perfection. The sides were plain spinach & plain potatoes (no seasoning). The salmon was good...just salmon. The restaurant is VERY LOUD.Special Features:
- love Carpe Diem!foodie123Dined on 7/23/2014I love Carpe Diem. The food, cocktails, atmosphere and service are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFoodluverDined on 7/22/2014From the great bar and wine list to the wonderful service and food, Carpe Diem is a real treat! Everyone on the staff was very friendly and the food is off the charts. Get the fried chicken you will not be sorry! Such a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceEclipse29Dined on 7/21/2014I absolutely love Carpe Diem! I love the intricate woodwork throughout the restaurant. My meal was fabulous - the buttermilk fried chicken can't be beat. I took 2 friends who hadn't been there before and they raved about their meals as well. We tried some of their unique cocktails and enjoyed them. Our server was very friendly and attentive. I always have a great experience at Carpe Diem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoicedicinyDined on 7/21/2014I took my sister here for her birthday and were not disappointed with the food, service or atmosphere. The Queen's Feast menu is outstanding and we found all selections delectible. If only we could have had them all! Lovely dining room, friendly and attentive service and excellent food. The only criticism I would have was that the cosmopolitan cocktails we ordered were not up to par for such a fine restaurant. This was only our first visit and will certainly return.Special Features:
- Great as alwayskaralukeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Had moved away for a few years, so it's been a while… but Carpe Diem is as good as I remembered. Such a cool vibe, great food, and interesting cocktails. A winner!Special Features:
- Queen's Feast First Time VisitGoodEatsDined on 7/19/2014Four of us took the opportunity that restaurant week gives us to try Carpe Diem for the first time! We each had different course selections. The fried chicken and salmon were especially good. The chocolate cake with strawberry jalapeño sauce was incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealPickyeater37Dined on 7/19/2014Delicious food, varied menu, great service in a nice atmosphere. I will definitley recommend Carpe Diem to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dineDined on 7/18/2014It was a great evening! the food was wonderful and the service perfect. It is a little loud so to have a large group would be difficult to hear each other. Otherwise, we loved it!Special Features:
- Comfortable, Amazing foodCharlotteBillDined on 7/5/2014Restaurant had a comfortable, yet high end feel... Great layout and excellent food...Special Features:
- One of my favorites in CharlotteJulieVIPDined on 7/5/2014I haven't been in awhile.. but going back is such a pleasant experience. The staff is always friendly. The food is great. The specials are diverse- and seasonal. But you can't go wrong with the Southern Fried chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening Out!kevncoleyDined on 7/3/2014Met friends for dinner and had a wonderful meal. Great selections and specials to choose from. Wait staff was extremely attentive and friendly. I was a great evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average!MelEDined on 7/3/2014It was average! I thought based on the menu it was going to be outstanding but it wasn't notable! I probably won't ever go back. The best part of all of our meals was the bread!Special Features:
- Fabulous foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014The food was delicious. Service was great. Atmosphere cozy. Prices were reasonable and I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timers!charlottenewbiesDined on 6/28/2014We tried Carpe Diem on our first weekend in Charlotte...as recommended by friends...it could not have been a better choice! Great service and the food was fantastic! We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great findShaismanDined on 6/27/2014We are new to Charlotte and love finding new restaurants. Brought my husband here for his birthday. We had a wonderful dinner, great service, and will definitely come back again. Try the fried chicken you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- trynottocookDined on 6/26/2014Always a pleasure to visit this restaurant. Good food and service. Great location close to downtown and if you go early, you park right in front of the door.Special Features: