Carpe Diem Restaurant
1535 Elizabeth Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28204Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Carpe Diem Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://carpediemrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7043777976
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Open Easter and Mother's Day for Brunch. Closed on Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Years Day.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Ketterhagen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Planning a wedding, cocktail party or corporate event? Carpe Diem is available for off premise full service catering. We deliver the quality food and service you expect from Carpe Diem for events of up to 250 people. We can assist you with all aspects of your catering, from planning and menu decisions to rentals and set up. The service staff at your event will be employees of the restaurant, not contracted labor, so we can guarantee professional, friendly staffing for your event. We have a variety of standard menus available for your event, or we can completely customize a menu.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for private bookings on Sunday and for breakfast/lunch everyday. A completely private room is available any evening and can accommodate a group of up to 37 guests. If you are using a screen for a presentation, the capacity is reduced to 28 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Bonnie Warford 8886414749
- Special Events: Mon-Thurs, 5PM-6:30PM 1/2 price appetizers in the bar.
Mon-Tues, one 1/2 price bottle of wine selection
Tuesdays all house cocktails are 1/3 off.
A word from Carpe Diem Restaurant
Carpe Diem has been open since 1989. We have moved twice due to downtown business developments, but are now in our third incarnation at 1535 Elizabeth Avenue. Our interior is done in a beautiful art nouveau style. Mahogany doors, copper lighting that vines around the wood work, and marble floors are just a few details that will engage you in the surroundings. We, the proprietors, sisters Tricia Maddrey and Bonnie Warford, are from Miami, Florida. Our interest in food grew from a love of the Latin and tropical flavors that influenced us growing up. Our menu offers a variety of dishes reflecting "new American" cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Carpe Diem Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
Carpe Diem Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (82)fit for foodies (79)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (59)good for groups (36)notable wine list (28)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Planning the next visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2014Excellent dining experience. Have been before and have never been disappointed. We always leave with a smile on our face and our appetites satisfied. There is space for private parties and a couple of intimate nooks for a romantic evening. Always impressed by the woodwork and artwork they have on display. Good place to take that special someone or meet friends for a great evening. Love the food selections and the combination of flavors. One of the few restaurants frequented that the food is actually discussed and shared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!ATHikerDined on 10/24/2014Never disappoints - Carpe Diem is solid and consistent, time and time again. Great neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great first experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/22/2014Our reservation was made to take a family member from out of town to a nice dinner. The goal was to go to a restaurant that was not a chain, and offered some unique finer dining dishes. Carpe Diem did not disappoint. All the food was well prepared and the service was excellent. This was our first time dining here, and will likely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local findTdubDined on 10/17/2014This is a great little art nouveau restaurant serving local, seasonal food in a great space tucked away from the city on Elizabeth. My wife and I had a great time for our anniversary dinner. We will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great experience!SophiaDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I chose Carpe Diem to celebrate my birthday. The grilled grape salad, short rib is amazing. Last course the chocolate cake with spice pineapple, the cake was too sweet for us. My husband is a Vegan and the soba he chose was too salty. They didn't charge for the soba. Service and ambiance is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSuppertime6Dined on 10/14/2014We visited to celebrate our wedding anniversary and the entire team at Carpe Diem seemed to want to help us celebrate. Outstanding service at every turn and request, great food and a perfect table that was tucked off to the side and decorated for our anniversary. We brought our own bottle of wine and they didn't flinch (there was, of course, a corkage fee as we expected). Great for special occasions but we will go back "just because" again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian optionsMimitDined on 10/10/2014One special aspect of this restaurant is that they take vegetarian food seriously. While there are wonderful choices for carnivores, there are several regular vegetarian options plus at least one daily special. The salads and appetizers can also be combined to provide a wide selection for those who do not eat meat.Special Features:
- Doesn't DisappointMissyDined on 10/6/2014A year ago we moved here and I picked this restaurant blindly for our anniversary, going solely on the reviews. It did not disappoint. This is now our top choice whenever we have a special occasion and we want to go out for a wonderful dinner. The food is delicious, the wine list is eclectic, the desserts are fabulous and the atmosphere is charming and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceBretDined on 10/4/2014The food was good and the service was nice. The desserts were a highlight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the evening!!!!SafistacatedDined on 10/3/2014Carpe Diem...Great service, exceptional meals, Romantic ambience, decor is warm, and the desserts are amazing! Making that one you love feel special. . . "Priceless!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night with the WifeCookieDined on 10/3/2014It was Friday Date Night with the wife and we were looking for a cozy spot to grab a dinner. It had been a while since we had eaten at Carpe. It not let us down. The atmosphere was great, good for talking, not too loud. The service was excellent and the food was awesome. I will back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dyn"o"miteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014I took my wife hear for her birthday. We had heard it was good a restaurant and wanted to give it a try. We were amazed!! Our waitress was great funny and very attentive with great recommendations. The tuna appetizer was great we didn't leave a bite on the plate. Good size portions on all courses. My wife got the scallops which were incredible, I never seen such a great presentation or so tasty a recipe for scallops. I got the best dish on the menu which believe it or not was the fried chicken with black pepper gravy! I would eat that every day it was sooooooo good. My wife would too haha she had half of mine it was her birthday after all. Pumpkin cheesecake finished off the meal and was excellent better than what you get at the factory!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing.EATFORLIFEDined on 10/1/2014I tried something new-the veal rib-I should have known better. Very fatty and not eatable. Date had the fried chicken and he said it was average. They replaced my food with another-but it was unremarkable-I was extremely disappointed in the wine selection-there was only one cabernet offered by the glass and being from California, wasn't impressed with the "international" selection at the very high price. I have heard good things from others who have dined here so I guess we just chose the wrong things. Service was very good-and the place was very nice.Special Features:
- Special, but not extra specialrpw1Dined on 9/27/2014We were a party of six celebrating two anniversaries. The ambience and service fully met our expectations and, overall, the food choices were interesting and tasty. However, the special flounder dish ordered by one of our party was oversalted and the relish sauce on the dish was much spicier than advertised. Nonetheless, we would give Carpe Diem a second chance to fully live up to its top ratings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience!RJAbbeVIPDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our five year anniversary here, and we've made it a yearly tradition. The drinks are always inventive and delicious, the service is always top-notch, and the food never disappoints. The first time we came, I had the fried chicken, and I always consider it when I come here. Not only is it *by far* my favorite entree on a menu that has Filets (which my wife loves), fish options, VERY well prepared scallops, and other imaginative dishes, but it's also the most reasonably priced. I find it amazing that the least expensive entree (which is also the most overlooked) is in my opinion, the best entree on the menu. The evening was great, and we'll be back next year (or, hopefully, much sooner!). Thanks Carpe Diem!Special Features:
- Great Happy 39th Anniversary dinnerJerseygirl75Dined on 9/20/2014Carpe Diem is a wonderful restaurant.... We can't wait to go back. The food was so fresh and delicious....a gourmet experience with so much more. The desserts are wonderful and the cocktails from the bar are amazing.... Thank you for making our 39th wedding anniversary dinner so amazing!Special Features:
- Great before-the-show diningddavisDined on 9/20/2014A group of 6 of us dined on a Saturday night before an uptown concert. One of the first things our server asked was whether we had a time constraint that she needed to be aware of. We had allowed about 1.25 hours for dining. Not only did our server stay focused on helping us meet our goal but when she became very busy, the manager stepped in for her to assure we finished and paid on time to make the show. They had the right combination of attention and service without intruding on our group's enjoyment of dining together.Special Features:
- Great Filet Mignon!smaroulisVIPDined on 9/19/2014Wonderful service & excellent food- creative menu- love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Delicious treatabbysue4uDined on 9/17/2014The food was excellent, especially the cheese plate and the chocolate ganache dessert. Definitely recommended for a date night or special occasion.Special Features:
- Charlotte's BestCGTracyDined on 9/8/2014It is notable when a restaurant that has been around for a while actually gets better. This restaurant is as good as it gets and then some. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014The duck was underdone, raw in the middle. The seafood soup was very salty. Disappointing.
- Delicious Pork & Chicken !!!smaroulisVIPDined on 9/6/2014The pork schnitzel w homemade Spatzeal is excellent. The fried chicken- excellent. It doesn't get better than this!!! Awesome food & service!Special Features:
- Always Greatsouth1Dined on 9/6/2014Not a frequent diner at Carpe Diem but have dined with them more times than I can remember over several years. It is consistently a superior experience, always top notch and seems to be getting even better. Would recommend for any special celebration, a group outing, or just for a darn good evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carpe Diem always gooddiningoutDined on 9/2/2014We had delicious food (as usual)--three different entrees. The wait staff was very attentive. Carpe Diem has a nice spacious bar area for those who want a glass of wine/drink and casual dining. The three of us enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- ExcellentJimTrittenVIPDined on 8/29/2014We flew in from New Mexico and met family members for a delightful experience. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulGJR1Dined on 8/25/2014Carpe Diem never disappoints. I took colleagues from out of town here for dinner. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meal and had a great time. Outstanding - and I love the partnerships with local farmers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Haven't been to Carpe Diem in years. Better than ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreDineDined on 8/23/2014The restaurant was not up to par. Previous meals were superb, with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long DriveOldGuyDined on 8/19/2014After 400 miles on the road, we cleaned up, ate well, relaxed, and enjoyed friendly, quick, competent, unobtrusive service. If it weren't so far away, we would go there often. Next time in Charlotte, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014The food and service is consistently wonderful. There are enough fresh, fun food combinations to keep it interesting, but also delicious familiar ones deliciously prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be our new favorite!charlottenewbiesDined on 8/18/2014Monday was my wife's birthday and we chose to return to Carpe Diem. It was the first restaurant we visited as we were house shopping in Charlotte a few weeks ago. I had read many positive on-line reviews and we were not disappointed! My wife loved the fish and I the fried chicken. On our last visit she raved about the filet and I went back to the chicken. Love the chicken! There were some nice birthday touches that made the evening even more special...we'll be back!Special Features:
- Disappointing second visitDisappointingDined on 8/16/2014The specials were unremarkable compared to our first visit. The wait-person mispronounced arugula and cippolini (onions) which was quite unprofessional and distracting. We heard her make the same pronunciation mistake with 3 other tables besides our own. Altogether, the food was disappointing, especially since we had previously had a delightful meal at this restaurant. I doubt we will give this restaurant another chance.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Wonderful food selections, great service; great place for special occasionsSpecial Features:
- Excellent Pork TenderloinsmaroulisVIPDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful grilled grape salad w roasted pistachios- really brought out the flavor of the nuts. The pork tenderloin loin w homemade spatzale & beets was absolutely delicious! I usually have the excellent filet Mignon but wanted to try something different. Wow!Special Features:
- Great place to celebrateFoodieDined on 8/9/2014The staff is friendly and helpful. When I reserved on Open Table I mentioned that it was a celebration and the staff had the table decorated and even mentioned the celebration as we sat down. Food was excellent (buttermilk chicken is the best!). Wine list, cocktails, and deserts are reasonably priced. Only negative is that portions can be inconsistent. Two people in our party ordered the salmon and one had a nice sized portion and one received a small sliver. Also - for the price, I'm surprised that they served farm raised salmon. Also, we had older folks in our party and due to the loud environment they did have trouble hearing at times.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, Awkward ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/8/2014The food was AMAZING but the service was fair. Our server lacked experience and basic ettiquette which made for an interesting and slightly awkward evening. When I asked if there were any specials, the server gave me a copy of her notes. This piece of paper (which was not intended for anyone but her) had the specials listed on it with some items underlined. I have never experienced this before at a high end restaurant. Even the Maître D was taken back by this. It's unfortunate the service took away from our experience because the food was EXCELLENT!I had the Goat Cheese Salad and the Scallops, and my husband had the Buttermilk Fried Chicken. The scallops were cooked perfectly and the roasted brussel sproats were the best I have ever had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What they do well they do very wellSssavageDined on 8/7/2014We went to celebrate a birthday. They decorated the table with confetti! While simple, it was a nice touch to a delicious meal. The scallops were perfectly cooked as were the Brussel sprouts. And the desserts... Oh the desserts!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!!lavinaDined on 8/7/2014Our favorite restaurant in Charlotte.... the menu, food and service is consistently exceptional at this Restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantMindyDined on 8/5/2014We were in town for two days and wanted a good restaurant that provided good wine and a fine dining experience. We found exactly that with Carpe Diem. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Charlotte!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodop73Dined on 8/2/2014Another great dinner at Carpe Diem. Buttermilk chicken always stellar. Interesting combination of ingredients make this a must-go-to place for foodies. Only major complaint- noise level is extremely loud. Rude, boisterous patrons can really spoil the wonderful ambience of the art nouveau surroundings. Management needs politely to address this issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.