Carpe Diem - New Canaan
26 Locust Avenue
New Canaan, CT 06840Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carpe Diem - New Canaan
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://carpediemnewcanaan.com/
- Phone: (203) 594-9599
- Hours of Operation:
Mon and Tue closed, Wed - Sun 11:30 am to 11:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Regis Saget
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Lenny Lorendo 2035949599
A word from Carpe Diem - New Canaan
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carpe Diem - New Canaan reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (13)fit for foodies (12)neighborhood gem (9)special occasion (9)romantic (9)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)good for groups (3)Show More
- Great Food - Disappointing MgmntOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014I really enjoyed the food, and overall the service and ambience was decent. However, we had come with a restaurant.com certificate to which the manager simply said it was not accepted and offered no apologies or consideration. When I approached him about it, he still offered no apology despite his restaurant being listed on the site. I find bad management concerning and will not be back for this reason. Also, they have only only two beers and they are both draft only.Special Features:
- Nice placeArun118tVIPDined on 10/29/2014Carpe Diem is a very nice quiet restaurant. With a nice bar scene. We were dining on a Wednesday at 6;30. There were 4 other couples only at that time We ordered the Salmon and crab cakes. The food was delicious What I did not understand is why it's not full with other customers. I liked the ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastytastyDined on 10/25/2014Had a lovely meal here with my family Saturday. Very lovely restaurant with excellent salads and pasta.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PastaoutoftownvisitorDined on 10/25/2014While some people claim the entrees are expensive, the pasta dishes are reasonably priced and quite delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/12/20142nd time here but my last. While food was tasty, it was bland & the service was quite poor.
- Alone in a crowdrst2Dined on 10/3/2014Our town, New Canaan, CT, has recently become a "destination" for dining. I understand there are something like 60 places to eat! Unfortunately many of the new spots are small, ultra-noisy, with tiny uncomfortable seating, crowded with "tourists", with "experimental" menus not suited to everyone's taste. Carpe Diem is unique. Just slightly off the main tourist drag, it is quiet, a nice environment with comfortable chairs, just the right amount of space around tables to allow servers to function without knocking diners over, and featuring a nice menu of quasi-Italian dishes very well prepared. We love it and visit frequently. The two owners are also always present, helping the wait staff and making sure everyone is enjoying their meals.Special Features:
- Food missed the spotGoldendogsDined on 9/26/2014I was disappointed in the food here. Both my salad and pasta seemed to need salt and when my fellow diner requested salt from the waiter, I knew I was right. My pasta dish was very fresh and inventive, a great combination of ingredients, I don't know why it fell flat. The others at the table agreed. Each had different pastas but they were not great. They were also out of many wines we wanted to order. They made good by offering us a better wine at a price we had chosen initially.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed a delicious lunch while sitting out on the lovely patio!Special Features:
- IncredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/23/2014My wife and I have been hear a few times and each one gets better and better. Service is outstanding and the food is delicious.Special Features:
- Great foodkianniDined on 9/12/2014Although it took some time to be waited on and receive our drinks, the wait was well worth it! The bar had drink orders backed up and they apologized profusely. The food was delicious and we will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't forget this place!JudyDined on 8/29/2014Tucked away on the outskirts of downtown New Canaan, this gem of a restaurant is often overlooked, but is a definite find. The food at Carpe Diem is always fresh and beautifully prepared and delicious, and the service is warm, welcoming and attentive. The menu changes seasonally and there is something for everyone, although it is not for young children. There is lovely outdoor dining in the Summer, and it is cozy and comfortable--with just the right amount of sophistication--in the dining room. I love the original photos of Marilyn Monroe and Ernest Hemingway on the walls, the candlelight and the upholstered seating. The prices are fair, especially for the very high quality of the food.Special Features:
- Carpe Diem is a true gemabcxyzDined on 8/24/2014Impeccable service and outstanding food. Old world charm right in New CAnaan.Special Features:
- The following 53 reviews are from the Carpe Diem - New Canaan reviews archive.
- Carpe Diem always fineNCneighborDined on 7/26/2014Most gracious and welcoming staff. Dishes are always delicious. The branzino and chicken entrees are favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and serviceKrabappelDined on 7/19/2014First visit, was very happy with the meal and service. Will definitely go back and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first visit!RadiodaDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful veal! We are sure to return! Our first visit there, and we were impressed by the friendly service and excellent dinner...Special Features:
- ExcellentTheSharksDined on 7/17/2014This was our first visit and we have already recommended it. Fabulous food, ambience and service. Everything was absolutely perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capri anyone????Dlee59VIPDined on 7/12/2014Carpe Diem is a gem in the heart of New Canaan. The restaurant has an elegant but comfortable atmosphere and a lovely al fresco dining patio out front. It reminded us of a lovely little restaurant on the Isle of Capri. The menu was focused with enough variety for everyone. The vegetables and fruits were seasonable; we had figs and white asparagus, both were perfection. Two items on the menu were not yet available, but our server was upfront and explained why. Dessert menu needs improvement (if you have room for dessert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible!diningfriendDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I recently went for dinner and immediately noticed the restaurant was empty on a Sat. night at 7:00....not a good sign. There was no atmosphere...no music..candles. I ordered a pasta dish and it was gummy and had no flavor. My husband had the lobster ravioli's and they had no flavor and tasted like they had been warmed up in a microwave. We also ordered a side which they just never brought over to our table. I am hoping the owners are planning on completely changing things around in this restaurant or there is no way it will survive!
- great restaurantCat10Dined on 7/5/2014We had a coupon to try this restaurant. So we went Sat. evening it was a little pricey and nothing came with your meal. It's not a place we could come to all the time just on special occasions. But I have to say the food was amazing it was so good. we are certainly coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delight founddolphinDined on 6/28/2014Went to Carpe Diem on a voucher and was unsure by some reviews read, but went. The place was far finer then anticipated. Outdoor patio was truly nice and was never mentioned in reviews or website. Main dining area also looked nice. Service was excellent, patient for our relaxed dining mood, always attentive and friendly. Food was excellent and menu has a nice variety and created with a good focus on choices. Duck was excellent and Red Snapper was wonderful, house wines good choices and wine list reads to be wonderful. Will be a pleasure to go back sometime soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rocketviewDined on 6/10/2014Best branzino in CT - menu has a number of great items - veal tonnato, grilled artichoke appetizer, fresh buratta with prosciutto and peppers. Best terrace in New Canaan. Great service. Love the placeSpecial Features:
- Carpe PastaLuv2YumDined on 5/23/2014The pasta is exquisite! It is light as a feather and made in their own kitchen. Everything on the menu is pure gourmet and served by a meticulously trained staff in elegant surroundings. Their wine list is as impressive as everything else in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014A pleasant surprise. It was our first time dining at Carpe Diem. We were with good friends and the staff paced their service accordingly. Dinner was excellent.Special Features:
- Mother's Day dinnerfood4everDined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day. Loved the people and the service. The food was great. I would have enjoyed the piano music, except it was way too loud. My elderly father couldn't hear our conversation at all (until pianist finished), a problem he generally does not have. I would suggest not sitting in the room with the piano. Otherwise, we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingeaterDined on 5/11/2014Really disappointing dinner at Carpe Diem last night (5/11/14). Several diners in our party were given dirty dishes or silverware. One of our entrees mistakenly was brought out with the appetizers, then after it was sent back, apparently sat in the kitchen for a long time only to return later with our entrees (which arrived an inexplicably long time after appetizers were completed). And the food was mediocre -- not any better than you can get at dozens of moderately priced neighborhood Italian restaurants in NYC, and one of the entrees was downright bad. Really surprising after reading the pretty good NY Times review. It's a nice atmosphere, and maybe the kitchen was having an off night, but I would not go back there.
- poor food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014people were rude, hair in two of our dishes, unprofessional and unkempt staff - food eh
- Very disappointedtripletmomVIPDined on 5/10/2014We arrived at 8 PM for our reservation at same time. We had to wait close to a half hour to be seated. We were told to wait at the bar, which we did. There was no cocktail list. The dinner portions were skimpy for the price, and I had to return mine because my meat was too tough to cut! The service was extremely slow! When our bill came, we discovered that my husband's martinis cost $16 each. A very high price for a neighborhood restaurant. The management was rude when we asked about the price of drinks , and told us they only carry top line liquors. All in all, the evening was a big disappointment!!!Special Features:
- High hopes but fell shortAdamDined on 5/10/2014Given the price tag ($75 pp with tax and tip) and decor, the expectations were high and the results fell short. A nice touch was having a piano player in the main room, but he played way too loud. There were many servers attending the tables - but the food took very long to prepare and when the waiters brought it to the table it went to the wrong people - staff appeared disorganized. Appetizers were excellent, especially the mozzarella. Entrees were lacking in flavor. i was rooting for Carpe Diem, but left a little disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodgreatfoodDined on 5/3/2014Took a friend out for her birthday with another friend. Had a great time. The only odd thing was I made a reservation through open table and when I got there, I was informed my table was outside, however the host was very accommodating and had a table inside for us (good thing because it was cold and then rained!). When I got home, I tried to make a reservation for the next day and no where did it state it was an outside table. Just beware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodDMF1902VIPDined on 4/18/2014This was our 3rd time at Carpe Diem. Food has always been quite good; service has been outstanding. And it is somewhat more moderately priced than many of the New Canaan area restaurants.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceBobDNDined on 4/11/2014Every time we go here we really enjoy the food and the service. The second you walk in you are taking care of. I always enjoy every dish that I order and the service is always top notch. Thank you, Lenny. We hope to see soon.Special Features:
- Quiet on a Saturday NightrobkapVIPDined on 4/5/2014My wife and I are always on a quest to find a quiet, romantic restaurant on a Saturday night. In New York, this is almost an impossible task. The ambiance in Carpe Diem was really nice, and there was a very good piano player. The service was excellent and the food was vey good, Only fifty minutes from our house and well worth the ride .We actually stayed over in a nearby hotel to make it a great getaway weekendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroghly EnjoyableDMF1902VIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our second time at Carpe Diem. Both times, the service was extremely attentive and the food was excellent. Thoroughly enjoyable on both visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RIGmouseDined on 3/9/2014We were a group of 10 on a Sunday night. Only one other group (3) in the restaurant. Drink orders taken and brought promptly except waiter did not bring my husband his wine. Repeated reminders were met with nonchalant, "ok". Overall, service extremely unprofessional. Waiter could not recall who was to be served what, checked on computer In our presence. The food was quite average and after a very long wait (why?), it was brought out lukewarm. Conceptually, the menu items were creative and varied, but poor execution made this irrelevant. I felt responsible for choosing this restaurant because it took our large reservation on OpenTable but now ti understand that other diners locally knew what I didn't: the place is not good.
- great food a little noisynanruzDined on 3/8/2014Food and service was great. The piano playing was a nice touch - but if they closed the lid on the piano we might have been able to hear each other talk. I would recommend moving the piano up to the entrance area, and putting in 2 more tables below, and you would still have the great ambiance that the piano playing (which was excellent by the way) offers, without having to say what every other sentence to those you are dining with. The food presentation was almost as tasty as the food itself. Would recommend them adding a non-flavored tea like english breakfast to their list. Tea drinkers are a particular lot and earl grey is not straight up tea.Special Features:
- quiet weeknightmichaelwaskomDined on 3/6/2014Restaurant was almost empty on a Thursday nite! Excellent food and service, very attentive waiter. Almost a private dinner. Food cooked to order and fresh that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find!NancyJDined on 3/1/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner here. All of our dishes were well prepared and quite tasty. The piano player added a romantic feel to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing special in new canaanklbklbDined on 2/14/2014there was nothing special about the food, which is the key reason for going. Nothing else really matters. piano player was a nice touch, but sometimes too loud to talk; may have been just for valentines day. service was cheerful and attentive when at the table, but long pauses and unavailability in between. the dining room is quite small, and the tables were packed tight. Would have felt very uncomfortable if tables on each side were filled. towards end a couple was seated at one of the tables next to us. I felt we were seated together we were so close, and I felt very distracted by their conversation. my fur coat, which I gave up, smelled of another diners perfume when it was returned to me.
- Outstanding in every wayJeffDined on 2/14/2014The only negative would be that we felt a bit rushed. It wasn't intentional, it was just very attentive service. However, when you spend a lot of money on wine and dinner, you don't want to feel rushed. We were in and out in less than an hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday evening respiteRustyDined on 2/9/2014What a delight for a relaxed end-of-weekend meal with friends. Relaxed, smooth and attentive service, and delicious food. A n enjoyable evening with friends we hadn't seen in a while, and Carpe Diem was seamless with all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.