10 Exchange Street
Charleston, SC 29403Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carolinasrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8437243800
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch - 11:00am - 2:30pm
Lunch - 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jill Mathias
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private rooms and personalized menus available for your group function.
- Private Party Contact: John Levanchy 8437243800
A word from Carolina's Restaurant
The Original Southern Bistro, Carolina’s is as rich in local lore as it is in culinary tradition. Be whisked away by the succulent flavors and sophisticated elegant atmosphere. Three distinct dining areas - the Perdita’s Room for a more intimate dining experience, the Sidewalk Room with its tall arched windows, and the bustling Bar Room - make Carolina’s the perfect place for dinner any night of the week. Serving dinner nightly.Continued
Extensive wine list and private cellar.
Extensive wine list and private cellar.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Carolina's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- 2nd time disappointmentDinerNJamesIslDined on 3/22/2014Our first visit was absolutely WONDERFUL. From the food to the Perdita Room, which is absolutely gorgeous and the fantastic service. So, we went back and took my parents... What an embarrassment. Service was good but not great, took a long time for drink delivery. Lamb was so-so, shrimp & grits were just ok. We requested the Perdita room but were sat in the noisy front dining room. Will try Carolina's again to allow room for redemption based on our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The End of An ErakayemteeDined on 3/21/2014Four of us were dining here for the first time and found the service slightly better than terrible. It wasn't until the end of the meal when we found out why: the restaurant was closing for good the next day after 64 years. Our young waitress was preoccupied with losing her job which explained the inattentive service.
- So disappointing.....CharlestonRocksVIPDined on 3/15/2014Carolinas has been in Charleston a LONG time. We have a line of Citadel graduates in our family and been in and out of Charleston for 30+ years. Carolinas used to be a premiere restaurant, and we have been there twice now in the past few years, but it hasn't kept pace. The service and kitchen were terribly slow; there only appeared to be a few servers. Ater waiting about 45 minutes+ after appetizers, the food was mediocre at best. If you need last minute reservations, you can call there, probably get a table, but expect "okay" food which you should expect to pay top dollar. The location and ambience are nice, so it's a shame about the food and especially the service. The best thing was the wine and the Lemon Fizz cocktail.
- gritspeteDined on 3/10/2014ordered shrimp and grits. not a big fan of cheese so I asked for grits without cheese. Waiter took note but grits still tasted cheesy to me. Don't think a subtle flavor of shrimp mixes well with cheese. I think shrimp was boiled which gave them even a lighter flavor. Tasted my wife's gumbo that was very good, pork and plantain appetizer was also enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great Food - Terrible Musicbread4twoVIPDined on 3/9/2014The food was delicious - we had an amazing brunch. The only thing that detracted from it was the pretentious romantic music playing loudly. The music was so distracting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent but expensiveAGentlemanDined on 2/22/2014When we have friends in town we go to the restaurants that are consistently good. This is one of them. My only complaint this time was price. $12 for a taste of soup, $10 for a small Gimlet, $10 for a great desert but $10? With tip we spent $258, one bottle of wine, just one person had a drink, no appetizers, one desert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were terribly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014We were terribly disappointed with Carolina's. We have been there several times before and have always been very happy with everything. This time was an exception. Nothing on the menu looked original or inviting. The service was mediocre at best and there were very few people in the place - Friday night at 8:00.
- quiet nightmid60scoupleDined on 2/18/2014Very convenient, but slightly off the beaten track, it was just what we wanted. Quiet, very good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchwearefineDined on 2/16/2014We were two couples. We arrived at 1:45 pm on Sunday. Brunched ended at 2:30 pm so that is probably the reason we were almost the only ones in the restaurant. We had a lovely time in the room with the pillars. The service was outstanding. The food was delicious and was served in an elegant fashion. We had a wonderful time!Special Features:
- Nothing SpecialapiciusDined on 2/15/2014The food and service were fine, but not at the level I would expect for the price. I've had much better meals that cost less at other restaurants like McCrady's or Fig.
- Tucked Away RestaurantYummyFoodDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I were so pleased with the expedient seating we received on Valentine's night. This was a last minute decision on our part so we were pleased that they had room for us on such short notice. The environment is cozy. Our food came super fast, and everything was delicious. I'd go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal.EatsoutDined on 2/14/2014We try it dine here every time we visit Charleston. Wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet gem off the beaten trackCats1Dined on 2/14/2014Soothing ambience and attentive service are the backdrop for the excellent food at this restaurant. Since we went on Valentine's Day, we were expecting chaos, but nothing could be further from the truth. Although the menu is not huge, they willingly made adaptations to the entrée choices to allow for vegetarian needs. High-quality food ingredients lead to meals that are truly delightful. Step away from the madness of upper King Street restaurants and enjoy this quiet gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad lunch!FoodmanDined on 2/14/2014We gave this another try! This is our second time and everything was disappointing. This is NOT the old Carolina's! The service was so bad I had to use my phone to call for a waiter! The shrimp and grits were bland and lumpy! The wine list was pitiful! There was hardly anyone in the restaurant on a busy Friday during SEWE! The owner had a bad attitude as well! Stay away from this one!
- Over priced.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014The food was merely OK, for as much as it was built up. Service was also very fast. Not attentive, just fast. From start to finish our $130 "experience" took 45 minutes. I had to camp out and ask for a second drink just to make it that long.Special Features:
- Dinner with daughterCaptJohnnyDined on 2/8/2014My daughter ate at Carolina's before heading to her school's Father/Daughter dance downtown. The food was great, service attentive. It was quiet since we were there pretty early. the atmosphere was very nice, and with more people later at night would have a pleasant buzz of background noise. We had a great dinner.Special Features:
- Disappointing eveningLindyLouDined on 2/1/2014Last year, I dined at Caroline's for two special occasions about this time of year (Jan. and Feb.). Everything was SUPERB! Last weekend I went again. It has changed so much. I found nothing better than fair! Our request for seating was overlooked until we reminded them. The waiter could not tell us about that night's tasting menu even on the second try! A large group was seated in the middle of the room, and their conversations made the noise level very loud. Finally, most of the food was very poor, even the night's specials. Prices had not changed, however, and we wasted a lot of money and ruined our celebration.
- Hidden GemCharlestonArtistDined on 1/27/2014Off the main path, but well worth thinking about it next time you want to enjoy a good meal.Special Features:
- Shrimp & Grits is still the best!JiaomaineDined on 1/24/2014We last went to Carolina's a long time ago (20 years??). This time we had a really late dinner and enjoyed the shrimp and grits (again) and the crab cakes. We won't wait 20 years to go back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCharlestonDinerDined on 1/20/2014This is a well run well managed establishment. The food is excellent and the menu selection varied and ever changing. I highly recommend Carolina's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb lunchRichVIPDined on 1/20/2014This was a business lunch where I needed privacy, quiet and efficient service. I got all three and a delicious lunch as well. Our waiter was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceCharlestonGalDined on 1/19/2014We had dinner the last night of restaurant week. The food was delicious and the service was lovely. We had previously been for brunch and can honestly say Carolina's is perfect for both. We look forward to visiting again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below par for Charleston3DDADDined on 1/19/2014My family decided to take Sunday afternoon drive to Charleston. After a nice walk around the battery, we used Open Table to locate a dinner spot. My wife and I are on a special vegetarian diet so when browsing through the menu we saw a vegetable dish for $14.00. When we were seated, we asked about because we did not see it on the menu we were given. The server said she would ask the chef to make "something special" for us. When the dish arrived it was less than a cup of lettuce, carrots and Brussel Sprouts! It was mediocre but when we received the check we were charged $18. I guess e need to try again and give them another chance but first impression was not good!
- Food and service are alwaysMadelineDined on 1/18/2014Food and service are always good with added bonus of valet parking at the front door. The ding room to the right as you enter seems quieter and more intimateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Dinner was great, food was wonderful. The only drawback was Grandmother had a hard time hearing. Would suggest for younger patrons or those that don't have hearing difficulties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All I can say the food wasdh0057Dined on 1/18/2014All I can say the food was awesome and service was top notch. Go you won't be dissapointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for lunch. The waitMeredithVIPDined on 1/17/2014Perfect for lunch. The wait staff and hostess were a delight. I cannot wait to try for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Good and Service excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/16/2014Food Good and Service excellent. I think it is a little pricey and I have other restaurants in this category that I like better.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekCarolinaGirlDined on 1/15/2014I have dined here for the past 20 years for special events (birthday, anniversary). Restaurant Week enticed me to try my old favorite just for fun. The members of my dinner party all chose the Carolina's signature shrimp and grits and were mopping their plates with bread to make sure they got every bit. The pecan brittle was to die for...we all ordered and enjoyed that dessert. I will definitely go back, but only if the "back room" is available. I was disappointed that the "back room" was closed for a private party since the ambiance is more romantic there than in the bar area. Also, their website seemed proud to announce they had valet parking, but when we arrived, we were told valet parking was not available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for restaurant weekWendywitchDined on 1/10/2014Not great for restaurant week and did not like where we were seated. It was not busy at all and the food was bland and the portions tiny.
- Confirmed reservation was worthlessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2014We searched Open Table for restaurants open on News Year Day for a celebratory luncheon. We selected Carolina's, made a reservation 10 days in advance and received a confirmation. We walked the mile from our hotel, only to arrive at a locked and dark restaurant. Neither my call nor my email to Carolina's was even acknowledged.
- Carolina's on New Year's EveCharlestonBobDined on 12/31/2013Price was fair compared to other top tier Charleston restaurants. The service was very professional but understaffed. The set menu for New Year's eve offered a good selection. The blue crab bisque was an excellent first course. Baked oysters were tasteless as the 2nd course. Some salvation came as my wife shared the quail selection. Seared scallops for entree were good; not at the top of the list, but in the upper half for similar dishes in town. Entrees vegetables were scarce, but tasty. The desert and coffee failed to impress. Luke Warm coffee and a dollop of whip cream sprinkled nuts did not meet the mark. Other diners appeared to receive a similar but more impressive desert serving with a mint leaf on top. Consistency required.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another wonderful eveningNinaDined on 12/31/2013I took my daughters to the New Years Eve dinner. The set price menu was expensive but lived up to the price. First course-salad-even my vegetable hating teenager loved hers. Both girls had the quail appetizer, which was excellent, although the vinegar on the collards was strong. I had the pasta purses with mushrooms and a little truffle oil, they were wonderful. the Truffle oil did not overwhelm the other flavors and the cream sauce beneath them was just right. The vinegar on the collards with the quail is my sole complaint. we all had the duck breast and it was perfect. crispy, flavorful skin, slightly rare and very juicy without being overwhelmingly fatty. wow. The fig sauce to the side was perfect as a compliment to the duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.patfDined on 12/30/2013My husband and I visited the Carolina restaurant along with two of our friends. My husband said the scallops were the best he ever had. I had the shrimp and grits and the sauce was very smooth and tasty. The shrimp were fresh and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carolina's - Worth a discovery tripWisconsinspindoctorDined on 12/24/2013Excellent food, and great service in this small, family owned and operated cafe. Hidden in a nondescript shopping center, where you might not expect to discover a meal this good. I have become a frequent diner, and a regular. Worth the trip. Downside, no bar. Upside: the family who make it a great place.Special Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/24/2013The food was very good but, the services was not. We had to finally ask our waitress to take our order. We also had to ask her for some bread and she replied, I guess I can do that.Special Features:
- FantasticSclocatorDined on 12/21/2013I have been dining @ Carolina's since it became Carolina's. I always look forward to the crab wontons that are no longer on the menu but they have for patrons that know about them. The special Crab stuffed Flounder was delicious. I introduced my son that just turned 21 this year Sat. Night he loved Carolina's. A great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealLynneVIPDined on 12/15/2013We went to Carolina's with a friend after a Play at The Footlight Players Theater. It was perfect. It was early, so the restaurant was not crowded, it was warm and cozy - sparkly with the Christmas decorations, and we had a wonderful time. My Flounder was perfect, and so was my husband's (grouper I think). We had not been to carolina's for a while, we need to come back more oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolinasjoebDined on 12/4/2013Great restaurant. Quality all the way. Food selection was somewhat limited. Service was slow. Restaurant and ambience was the same quality I had come to expect over the years.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere for the CharlestonFlowersfamDined on 11/28/2013Great atmosphere for the Charleston effect. Food was greatSpecial Features: