Carolina Crossroads Restaurant at The Carolina Inn
211 Pittsboro St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Carolina Crossroads Restaurant at The Carolina Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.carolinacrossroadscuisine.com/
- Phone: 9199182735x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
Brunch Sunday: 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Lunch Monday - Saturday: 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Dinner Sunday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Dinner Friday - Saturday: 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: James Clark
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Carolina Inn has been helping brides and grooms fulfill their most cherished wedding dreams for generations. Our magic begins with a setting of historic Southern charm: Colonial architecture, immaculate lawns, and stately oaks and magnolias. Inside the Inn, the atmosphere of warmth and grace is accented by antiques and fresh flowers. We have intimate parlors, secluded garden courtyards, and expansive ballrooms. The Old Well Room, with its evocative 1920's décor, is especially popular for wedding events.
- Special Events: Fridays on the Front Porch
Join the fun every Friday April 26th through October 4th on our Front Porch at 5 p.m. for live music, beer, wine, and delicious food.
Visit www.carolinainnevents.com or call 919-918-2735.
- Cross Street: Columbia Avenue
- Parking: Hotel Parking
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet parking is available for restaurant patrons. Carolina Crossroads Restaurant and Bar is located in the heart of Chapel Hill on the campus of UNC Chapel Hill - 1 block from Memorial Hall, 1 block from historic Franklin Street, 1 block from Ackland Art Museum, 2 blocks from Morehead Planetarium, and a 10 minute walk to Kenan Stadium.
A word from Carolina Crossroads Restaurant at The Carolina Inn
Carolina Crossroads Restaurant and Bar is a rare Southern jewel nestled in the historic Carolina Inn. Crossroads joins the graceful traditions of the South with Executive Chef James Clark's progressive new American cuisine creating one of the finest dining experiences in the region. With an inviting, relaxed atmosphere and Forbes Four-Star service, guests can enjoy a casual but elegant culinary experience. Begin with drinks in the bar and then move into the charming dining room for dinner exquisitely prepared by our talented culinary team.Continued
Menus are updated seasonlly and incorporate fresh local ingredients.
Menus are updated seasonlly and incorporate fresh local ingredients.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Carolina Crossroads Restaurant at The Carolina Inn - Best Restaurants in Chapel Hill ›
Carolina Crossroads Restaurant at The Carolina Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (71)romantic (51)fit for foodies (43)great for brunch (35)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (16)good for groups (10)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wanna beOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Faux fine food. Very average food that aspires to be more but doesn't come close. If you like your food salty, this is your place.
- perfect meal2567Dined on 9/28/2014Love Carolina Inn!!! We are so lucky to have it in town.Special Features:
- Elegant settingfoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is a favorite spot for me. Exquisite decor, impeccable service... The wait staff is unbeatable. The food? You cannot believe you are in a small town... It equals the finest in any large American city. I cannot say enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location butwallyDined on 9/18/2014the temperature is FREEZING!!! We go there for special dates when we are attending an event at memorial hall and every time is unreasonably cold insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieFriendsDined on 9/15/2014The dining room is elegant but comfortable. Food was disappointing given previous experiences. While,scallops were perfectly cooked and delicious. Added sugar dominated the tomato tart and the trout was over cooked and fishy tasting. Service was tediously slow and staff seemed to want to remove plates before all diners had completed eating.Special Features:
- Great placejnphDined on 9/7/2014Everything perfect: food, service, location. We had excellent steak and seafood. Our first visit, but certainly not our last.Special Features:
- So good.FoodenatorDined on 9/7/2014Delcious food, the Sunday morning buffet was absolutely incredible. There were tons of nice lunch and breakfast options as well as a salad section and a custom omelet bar. We will go back and take friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eve531Dined on 9/3/2014As always, food was great , service was very good, one of my favorite places to go for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Meal!WayneLeeDined on 8/27/2014We came for my wife's birthday. The service and food were excellent. Access and parking at the Carolina Inn can be challenging when school is in.Special Features:
- Ok, but not great.thepickyeaterDined on 8/27/2014I went armed with a Groupon or I would have been upset to pay full price. I couldn't get over the feeling that I was sitting at the kids table in my Grandmother's living room, and the intimacy was disturbing rather than inviting. The decor was ancient and might have been interesting in a museum, but we don't go to museums to eat. I was hoping for southern decadence -- not decay. And the food -- you could tell it had a very high opinion of itself, but not one that was earned. The portions were laughably small and bland in presentation and flavor. My steak was overdone despite ordering it to a specific temperature, but never mind sending it back since it took so long to arrive. I wasn't impressed.
- EmJayGeeDined on 8/27/2014Lovely dining room with attentive service. Food was a little disappointing after so many excellent reviews online. Quail on appetizer was slightly overcooked. Spare ribs were melt in your mouth tender but needed seasoning, both salt and some heat. Chocolate bread pudding was a treat. Best thing was the three complimentary bites at the end - chocolates and a very yummy raspberry mold. Would return with a group but not as a personal choice.Special Features:
- Great chefVenturesomeDinerDined on 8/26/2014Delicious food, well presented, small portions but filling, excellent service, well trained staff, next to campus. Definitely not your usual mediocre hotel food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableNeighborVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food, service, and atmosphere were excellent. We enjoyed crayfish bisque, fried oysters, spinach salad, crispy chicken, fresh ground beef burger, and bread pudding. The Inn and historic pictures add additional pleasure to the visit.Special Features:
- Love it hereYumYumsDined on 8/24/2014This was our first visit - we will be back. Impeccable service, amazing food, perfect quiet atmosphere. Very impressed :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!moleculargradDined on 8/24/2014The food was fantastic and the service was superb. I would recommend this place to anyone that is looking for an "upscale" dinner. It is a small dining room and they fill up quick on the weekends so I would strongly suggest reservations.Special Features:
- Great Food/Bad SeatingRAMSESFANDined on 8/24/2014We have been fans of Carolina Crossroads for a long time and visit often for brunch. We like sitting in the more relaxed bar area but ended up sitting closer to stranger next to me than my family. The wall seating tables were too close for me to even leave my seat to go to the buffet. This is too nice and too expensive to be forced to sit in this fashion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightKatieDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed a beer and live music outside at the Inn's "Fridays on the Front Porch" summer series before making our way to the resturant. The staff was all friendly, attentive, knowledgeable and served us properly (I appreciate things like serving from the left, removing from the right). The shrimp from our shrimp and grits appitizer was cooked perfectly. The Cheerwine braised shortribs were falling off the bone, rich and delicious. My husbands beef dish was cooked as he requested. Attractive setting, relaxed atmospher, strong dishes and professional staff. Overall a great date night experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited MenuKellyDined on 8/22/2014I have dined at the Inn three other times but on this occasion I found the menu to be very limited. I don't know if they have a new chef but it was not up to its usual standards.Special Features:
- Foodfreak3Dined on 8/21/2014Always love going to the Carolina Inn, and I'm a State alum!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerDinnerout2Dined on 8/20/2014We had an excellent dinner at the Crossroads Restaurant - from the appetizers to the dessert, everything was unbelievably tasty, and our server was professional and personable. Its pricy, but well worth it for a nice meal!Special Features:
- Gracious Space, Delicious DinnerquietdinerDined on 8/20/2014Although we got off to a less than perfect start, with our waiter appearing to have forgotten us for the first 20 minutes after bringing us the wine menu - for which he was very apologetic - it was a lovely meal. The food, too, got off to a slow start: my companion and I shared a field greens salad, which was a little limp and uninspiring, but things picked up rapidly after that. My duck confit was excellent and perfectly cooked, and her English pea raviolo was meltingly delicious. Desserts were even better: we shared a warm chocolate bread pudding and a salted tart with pickled blueberries and lavender whipped cream, both sensational. Beautiful, quiet space so conversation is easy, and we enjoyed watching the light change as it grew dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealpatriciaDined on 8/19/2014I chose Carolina Crossroads for my husband's birthday because I can always count on great food and service. I love the valet service and the gorgeous building. We are always greeted by the valet, doors opened for us, fresh flowers in the lobby.....what's not to love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyablewineandineVIPDined on 8/19/2014Unusual and delicious rib eye dish. An enjoyable evening, excellent service, and elegant surroundings.Special Features:
- Wonderful Service and Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014THe service staff is well trained and very personable. The food tasted delicious.Special Features:
- timmDined on 8/17/2014fantastic sunday brunch and great ambiance. The food selection was good and service excellent.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary with a wonderful dinner at the Carolina Inn. Service and food were wonderful from the appetizers to the dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate. I highly recommend this venue for any special occassion.Special Features:
- Amazing dining experienceSandeeeCDined on 8/14/2014Really a gem with beautiful décor, great atmosphere, excellent service and delicious food. Could not ask for any better.Special Features:
- Happy anniversaryOldGuyDined on 8/11/2014Crossroads has become our traditional anniversary dinner. It's quiet (we can actually talk to each other!), food and service are excellent, and they always do something special with dessert for our anniversary. Valet parking is free except for tip. It didn't hurt that we had a Groupon.Special Features:
- Intimate and DeliciousAdemiFinewDined on 8/11/2014Carolina Crossroads always deliver. I had a business meeting there recently with a new staff person and it was the perfect place to meet. The food was wonderful and the service just right - not too intrusive, not too absent. We got our work done and had a lovely meal at the same time.Special Features:
- Private celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014We came from Greensboro to stay overnight in the Carolina Inn and to dine in Carolina Crossroads. Staying in the Inn and dining in Crossroads were the only reason we came. Both the hotel and the restaurant met pour very high expectations. Thank you.Special Features:
- MellVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food was well presented but not tasteful. The soft shell crab nightly special was lacking in flavor and had an off-putting texture. Our table's waitstaff were very professional, but the restaurant hostess was inexperienced and not very helpful. Overall, not a good value for the money.
- a great mealRichardDined on 8/6/2014It was my parents 60th wedding anniversary and Carolina Crossroads made it a special occasion. My parents can be intrusive and cross all sorts of boundaries but the staff was great. Amelia, our waitress was excellent and just treated my parents as cute rather than annoying. They even wrote Happy Anniversary on the desert plates. A great alternative to the Fearrington Inn and about 1/3 the cost. Then my father used his frequent diner card and had $100 taken off the cost of the meal.
- Warmly hospitablewineandineVIPDined on 8/6/2014Service was excellent - warm, knowledgeable, and unpretentious. The food was good, well seasoned but not overly salted; particular highlights were the amuse bouche of salmon tartare, a tuna and watermelon appetizer with watercress, and delicious beets served as a vegetable with the special entree. A very enjoyable dinner in elegant surroundings with a delightful view of the courtyard garden. White tablecloths, sparkling glasses and silverware completed the decor.Special Features:
- Great serviceyummyDined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed the Carolina Crossroads. I highly recommend the trout. The peas that came with the pork tenderloin were undercooked and the rice oversalted. The crab cake is WONDERFUL!!! Seafood/fish is a real specialty. Great pumpkin seed bread. Our server, from Morocco, was wonderful. I'd return esp. for the brunch, our favorite.Special Features:
- Great meal, as usualDineOnDined on 7/25/2014Always love dining here. Great food, excellent service, and fun little extras (i.e.: appetizer soup shots, after-dinner chocolates).Special Features:
- Classic Chapel HillchplhlDined on 7/25/2014Because of the time of year (late July) they were not busy on a Saturday night - and we were doted upon! Can't say if this level of service is standard at all times, but it certainly made for a lovely evening. The acoustics are not great however, a group at a nearby table seemed loud. The diners were a mix of hotel guests in various state of dress from business suits to golf shorts, and nicely dressed couples enjoying a romantic evening out.Special Features:
- Carolina Crossroads -Afoodie2Dined on 7/24/2014The wait staff was very attentive and there when needed. The atmosphere was delightful. The food not so good. I have gone on two different occasions lately. Both times I was disappointed in the food. On both occasions the food was so salty I could not eat it all. And what I did eat,, had no taste other than salt. Last time I ordered duck medium cooked. It was rare. So rare even the outside as rare. I sent it back and it came back still rare. Obviously the chef does not like redoing his food. I love the Carolina Inn. The atmosphere is wonderful. The people are wonderful. Their holiday afternoon teas are great. But I will only go back to eat there when they get a much better chef.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicememorycatsDined on 7/20/2014Not only the food is so delicate, the presentation is beautiful and service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014$80 bucks plus tip for brunch for three is a little pricey which precludes coming as often as i would like. perhaps just special occasions onlySpecial Features:
- The best Sunday brunch in the areaOldSchoolRomanticsDined on 7/12/2014We stayed at the Carolina Inn for a romantic anniversary weekend and ate at Crossroads, the in-house restaurant, for both dinner and Sunday brunch. The dinner menu emphasizes local meats and produce and features creative versions of classic North Carolina dishes. The ambience was quiet and romantic, with candlelight, orchids, and fresh flowers and an elegant table setting (but lots of Carolina blue everywhere!). The server was friendly and had excellent timing. The dinner dishes exceeded our expectations, and the brunch was the best we've ever had. The service was excellent; the only reason we gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that our server passed us off to another server as we were finishing dinner, without letting us know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.